Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The lamest possible complaint I could imagine for this game especially after watching that trailer a dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Watched the trailer once again and man am I glad it's only a six month wait (fingers crossed).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm sure this is the hottest take but I'm really sick of open world.

Have the strangest feeling it isn't going to play like those.

acksplode posted:

I'm looking forward to having an icon on my minimap direct me to a pot with limbs that offers a mission where I have to follow a lizard person without being spotted. I can't wait to climb a big tree to unlock a chunk of the map. This is how the game will work. Only six months!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hatty posted:

Source your quotes?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rolling my eyes as people say "it's just Dark Souls" when we've already seen a dragon wield its weakness from those games. Get real folks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

"it's just Dark Souls" is a weird burn because that's just saying it's better than every other game already.

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/984409321294520321?lang=en

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

I loving love the Dark Souls games but Sekiro was something extraordinary and God I hope Elden Ring gives me the ability to do crazy poo poo like this again:

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1403453185998602244

Only you're riding a horse while you do it :clint:

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1113943818519437312?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

nah enough of that cringy weeb poo poo, gimme dat turtle behind shield chad action

In this house we are against engendering passivity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Can we crash bitcoin before January? I'd been planning on building a new PC for whenever Elden Ring finally came out and I'd like to buy a video card for a realistic price.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JBP posted:

Parrying by firing a blunderbuss at point blank range into someone's face will always be the superior form of parry.

Yeah Bloodborne has the best combat ever. I actually avoided parrying at first because I never did it in Dark Souls haha

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did a little poking around and it looks like Sekiro's first gameplay trailer dropped at the E3 before release but that was a larger gap between now and Elden Ring's release date.

If the upload dates are right for the more in-depth gameplay videos for Sekiro they were released in the week or days leading up to release.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 13, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kliras posted:

New info and interview dropped:

Praise the mf sun

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Read the interview and frankly I'm here for it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Can't wait for the easy mode discourse to spring up again despite them adding in an army of spirit pokemon to help you out if you need it.

punished milkman posted:

as far as i can tell ya elden ring is just a lazy reskin of the worst parts of dark souls 2. Very sad to see a developer fall from grace like this, but i suppose this is just the way it goes in these dark times.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 14, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Listening to the Majula theme for six straight months until I ascend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm one of the handful of weirdos that did not enjoy Breath of the Wild (and I'm a huge Zelda fan).

[boots up Elden Ring and is handed an ipad] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah one of the many reasons I couldn't get into it is I like finding a cool weapon and using that for a whole game. As an example in Dark Souls 3 I ran with the Butcher Knife through the whole game and it drops early in the third-ish area.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trusty Tingle the Hyena.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Real talk though, this does seem like it will probably not be the kind of open world many people are expecting. This talk of six areas and a hub area makes me think this isn't just one big seamless map, but several distinct "open fields" that may only be loosely connected with one another.

Which is good because "true" open worlds suck rear end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was under the impression that "the Lands Between" is the entire game area.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I would very much like to play this video game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is a hot take. If you're good at your deflections/parries most of the fights go pretty fast. Though when I first started fighting say Genichiro it seemed like the fight was gonna take awhile because I was trying to whittle away his health bar but once I got down the timing of parries it went so much quicker.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol

VideoGames posted:

Do they actually mean Dark Souls 1 or some other game beginning with DS?

There are two people in that thread with insanely bad souls takes. The other one was saying Lords of the Fallen is better than DS2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1405178475598827521?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I'm generally bad at video games and getting good is the answer. The bosses are the best part it's the prize for getting through the level.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VideoGames posted:

When a game click it is so satisfying and each time a from game has clicked it has been more satisfying that before. Sekiros click was the most and it was when I beat Owl 2.

There's nothing in games that compares to getting dumpstered by a boss for an hour straight and then having it click and manhandling them without taking a hit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I remember when that annoying streamer dsp, notorious for being terrible at these games and blaming the controls, beat isshin his first try. Think he just brute forced it by spamming the axe and got extremely lucky lol

This blows my mind lol. I remember in DS2 he would spam lightning spear to beat every boss and then got stuck on Looking Glass Knight because it just reflected it with its mirror shield (the boss is one of the easier ones).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't agree with all of that page's opinions on the localization choices but the insight into the japanese boss names is interesting.

Yeah "Crossbreed Priscilla" and "Seath the Scaleless" are much better names than a straight translation would've been and they have a problem with both.

Didn't see anyone mention it but Seath is the name of a dragon in King's Field.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 18, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't recall it ever being named in game but that's another odd complaint because it is a hydra. I thought of it as "the hydra" when I encountered it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wonder if they told him the dicks like eating poo poo.

CharlestonJew posted:

if they really wanted it to be called "lake beast" they shouldn't have made it look like a hydra

Right if it had been some weird aquatic monster and they called it "hydra" the complaint would make sense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

how can it be mature if it dont have titties and penises

That story about how an artist came to Miyazaki with his drawing of big titty Gwynevere and he saw how proud the guy was of it so he didn't have the heart to not put her in the game but it's GRRM and he's pounding the table screaming "YES!!! YES!!!!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In Japanese Rom was the Retarded Spider. Wonder if that person would've been upset with that change.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Japanese - 血に渇いた獣 [chi ni kawaita kemono]
English - Blood-starved Beast

血に渇いた [chi ni kawaita] - it's actually "bloodless", devoid of blood. 渇く [kawa.ku] means "to dry up, to parch" or "to be thirsty". 血 [chi] - blood. You can say "dried up without blood" - bloodless. As far as I know, these beasts were flayed, their blood collected until they had no more of it, then they started spewing poison. Blood-starved is fine, although it might give an incorrect idea of "longing for blood because of starvation", that's what we have in Russian localization.

Did they forget you can distract it with a pungent blood cocktail?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Aldrich's Japanese name *is* Eldritch. It was changed in the English translation, I assume because someone's name being actually Eldritch sounds stupid as gently caress.

The person complained about that change lol

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

which one, the translation one? it was average and less insightful than i expected. there is no such thing as a perfect translation. direct translation is often less useful across cultural divides than contextual translation.

I liked it to see what the meanings were in Japanese but the writer gave off "Just according to keikaku*" vibes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boss is probably gonna be on paternity leave on January 21...my 2022 has been ruined...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Alonne's theme is so good too. I ended up downloading this piano/strings arrangement for my playlists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PO9IpkPeMg

Shiva of the East more like Shiva the Deceased.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's my favorite FromSoft story.

The game comes out 90 days after my birthday. The stars are aligning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I doubt I could even imagine it.