Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I don't know if anyone else feels the same way as I do, but I'm kinda looking forward to Elden Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Whenever I did pvp if I ever joined a fight club I would beeline for the host and kill him and ruin everyone's fun. I guess I'm a bully.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

ranked from best to worst

- Maiden In Black
- The Doll
- The Firekeeper
- Emma 'The Gentle Blade'
- The Emerald Herald
- A Bundle of Sticks

smough is the best wife you imbecile

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Well, great, game is crashing on PC. Usually as I'm trying to create a character. This is my pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N2VtNc . I can't find any concrete fix from google. Is there anything I can do?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Today I learned my lesson not to jump around NPCs. Oops.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do Ashes Arts of War do more damage if you have the appropriate stat? For instance, if I'm using Gravitas, but my character doesn't have any int/fai/arc, will it do poo poo damage? Or is it doing poo poo damage no matter what?

Node fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2022

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've hit a wall in boss fight Maliketh

I don't know what to do. I'm a strength/faith build with 950 AR and with heavy armor and 1500 hp and he kills me in two hits. This wouldn't be bad if he wasn't so god drat fast and his enormous, sweeping attacks weren't so quick that if you dodge the first one, the second one hits. Then there is his omnislash attack that I just cannot do anything about and forces me to always keep my health at 100%, because that + the lowered max hp + the damage over time just makes it obscenely powerful. I am aware of the blasphemous claw, but he doesn't do counterable attacks too often and half the time my character just digs into his pockets when using it instead of using the item. My +10 spirits help against his first form, but he just deletes the gently caress out of them in phase 2.

I've gotten all the super bosses relatively comfortably in the Souls series. Kalameet, Fume Knight, Nameless King, Midir, Demon of Hatred were tough but very doable with practice. Maliketh is on entirely different level and he's not optional.

I've been absolutely in love with this game from the second I picked it up but this is ruining it for me and I don't want the game to be ruined.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm running into another wall. The boss Malenia. I know she is regarded as the toughest boss in the game, and I am never going to be able to win this fight. Is there a way to beat this in a cheesy way? I would cheat and not feel bad about it if it wouldn't get me banned from the servers. My character is a strength/faith build, 1700hp, but it doesn't really matter. I don't even think if I was level 700 it would make a difference. Her damage output and mobility is ridiculous.

I've been in love with this game for every single minute I've been playing it, but I've been really put off past Leyndell. The difficulty spike is ruthless. I realize she is an optional boss, which is why she isn't frustrating me as much as Maliketh was. I just want to know how I can beat her once using any method, get past it, and never do it again. I'll never be able to beat her legitimately.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

loquacius posted:

Honestly I spent a while experimenting with stuff that was supposed to work better on her but at the end of the day I only got past her with a perfect run on the style I knew best.

That's not very helpful, so: Try to maximize bleed. I powerstanced Great Stars, meaning I had a bleed source in each hand, and ran Mimic Tear, meaning there were actually four bleed weapons present, and with enough tries that did the trick.

I tried using a +25 Blood Uchigatana on myself and my +10 mimic spirit. I only saw a couple blood hemorrhages from our combined efforts before we died, I wasn't sure if the reduced damage from the blood enchantment was worth it.

Darth Walrus posted:

What's your build? That may give us some hints. She's very vulnerable to bleed, frostbite, and fire damage, and has unusually low poise and stagger resistance. The Blasphemous Blade is particularly deadly against her because its weapon art delivers colossal fire damage, knocks her down, and heals you, but there are several alternatives including the Dark Moon Greatsword and pretty much any katana or colossal weapon. For spirit ashes, Amon, Tiche, and the Dung Eater are all decent options.

Also, while it's not exactly easy, she can be infected with the Scarlet Rot if you put enough effort into dousing her in it, and it's very effective for counteracting her healing.

55 strength, 50 vigor, 40 faith. I've been switching between tiche and the mimic tear. Tiche's flame attack does a great amount of damage, but thats only if she decides to use it. I do have a +10 Blasphemous Blade, should I just spam the special attack with it and hope I get lucky and not get alpha striked by her?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Sample_text posted:

lots of advice about Malenia

Thanks to you and everyone else for your help on this boss. I still haven't beaten her yet. I just don't have the reflexes to dodge roll through her attacks. I will try your suggestion about getting the biggest shield I can, hiding behind it, and poking her with a bleed infused spear. I figure I'll use a nagitana unless there is one that would be better suited.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Spergatory posted:

So Elden Ring seems to be experimenting with a number of ways to solve the "cool-looking giant boss but you only ever see its foot" problem. Of these, which do you think was the most successful?
  • Boss runs away constantly (Elden Beast)
  • Boss is surrounded by damage zone, long range weapon given by the game (Rykard)
  • Boss's foot is literally removed halfway through the fight (Fire Giant)
  • Boss teleports to attack you (Placidusax)
Personally, I think Placidusax takes it. The teleporting gimmick not only makes sure the boss gets repositioned so you can properly see its animations, but it also means you never really have to chase him. No matter how far away from you he ends up, you can bet he'll be getting close to you again fairly quickly.

Fire giant was stupid. Visually he's great, when you get him into his second phase he towers like a volcano in the background erupting a bunch of lava. That was cool. But the fight, for me, is just attacking his foot. I never see his attack animations because he's so huge, which means I can't reliably dodge anything he does. When I beat him, I felt like it wasn't because I learned anything and executed it well, I just think I got lucky and he didn't do too much unreadable bullshit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I put it off for a few days but Malenia is down finally. I contribute three things to the victory. First is I equipped talismans to boost my Maker's Flame from my Blasphemous Blade, and spammed it every single chance I could. Second is RNG from Tiche - she did a significant portion of the damage, and it could greatly vary depending what attacks she did. Similarly, the third thing in the fight was RNG from Malenia - she only did her waterfowl dance once during the fight. If she does it too many times, chances are she's doing way too much damage to me and healing from it as a result. I cloned her remembrance and I'll probably never fight her in NG+s.

I tried the strategy of hiding behind the stone slab shield and poking her with a blood cross nagitana, but I couldn't keep up with her heals that way. It wasn't doing enough damage in my case.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I can't loving parry anything, even with a shield with Golden Parry, or a buckler. I've never been able to parry since Dark Souls 1. I don't think I will ever play a From game where I can reliably parry.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Flails are better? At least when dual wielded? That's cool. I like the concept of a flail, but I found they suck pretty bad in game. I have never seen them trigger bleed before.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I feel like a badass when I'm on Torrent against a dragon. I run up to the beast, lance the scaly wurm in the leg, then dash away, while it rears its head and roars in frustration.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Video Nasty posted:

The amount of natural discovery that this game lends itself to is beyond anything I've ever played before. Even a light amount of spoilers would sully that.
Genuinely had the most fun exploring and going "what the gently caress" to every new horror that spawned in front of me.

I'm glad I didn't read any spoilers or watch any trailers. When Radahn did his Thing I poo poo my pants.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

i am harry posted:

If you pick up ruin fragments it says they fell from the sky and then you get to farum azula and it’s in the sky and is the same architecture so

I never would have put that together on my own. Neat.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, IIRC it doesn’t work with a torch in the off hand either, and that doesn’t have an Ash of War applied to it. Or do you mean that it can’t have an L2 skill of any kind, even the “built-in” one? I didn’t know I could clear out the defaults, not that I would have known that there was a reason to!

There is a dude in Limgrave that will sell you an Ash of War that removes L2 skills. Apply that to your shield, and your L2 will use your right handed weapon's skill.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I know it's just a translation thing but my spirit was lifted a little by From calling it an expansion and not DLC.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I started up the game with the recent patch and enabled ray tracing, and I'm disappointed. It halves my fps. The game ran perfectly at a consistent 60 fps, but this locks it to 30. Which is weird, it doesn't hover around 30 fps, it doesn't dip lower than that during intense graphics, it doesn't go higher than that if I stare at the ground, it stays exactly at 30. Is there something screwy going on that I can change to improve the frames? I'm playing with a 3080, which seems like it should be more than enough for this game. Setting ray tracing quality to low, medium, high, max doesn't make a difference, its always 30.

Even though ray tracing looks pretty good, I much prefer the silky smooth 60 fps over it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
All of a sudden, Elden Ring looks very washed out with HDR enabled. It was working fine yesterday. Now its very gray and lifeless unless I disable HDR. I haven't changed a single thing - no game setting (no ray tracing), no windows 10 setting, no driver updates, nothing. The two solutions I've found online is to 1) disable image scaling in geforce options, and 2) change the resolution to something else then back to normal again. Nothing worked. Does anyone know what else I can try to fix this? HDR works fine in other games like Doom Eternal. This is on Windows 10 and a rtx 3080.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What the gently caress is this loving nonsense? When did the Night's Cavalry duo become a thousand times harder than Malenia? I've been here for over an hour.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
It took me three Souls games, Sekiro, and 350 hours in Elden Ring, but I've finally figured out how to reliably parry most of the time in a From Software game. It felt pretty cool clowning on Siluria and going completely untouched while there were 100 bloodstains nearby.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah there's no way that's true.

It's going to be five times as big.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They're adding colossal versions of every weapon.

Can't wait to dual wield colossal colossal swords

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

v1ld posted:

It's just up the road from Jarburg, keep heading North. Do not hit the turtle even if you like its hat.

You can equip almost every single weapon and armor you see in Elden Ring. But you can't equip turtle pope's hat. How the gently caress did they design the turtle pope but not let players wear its hat?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
It took me way too long to figure out that pressing in the left analog stick will dismount you from Torrent.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

John Murdoch posted:

Why can't you collect the spell that summons the giant balls.

You'll learn Ballomancy in the DLC

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

CommonShore posted:

I found that blocking was pretty good against Malenia too

She still heals off it even if your shield blocks 100% of the damage, which kinda sucks. sort of like sir alonne from ds2

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm never going to feel bad about using spirit ashes vs. Malenia.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Elden Ring is more like King's Field 9.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Dark Souls 2 had my favorite levels in the game, even though they were not remotely connected together logically. Like Iron Keep with all its flowing lava being up a giant elevator that just hovers over Harvest Valley. The weapon variety was fun too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Every time I go afk and have to turn the controller back on, it lags the game for a second or two. That sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm kind of tempted to return my unopened Xbox elite controller and just wait for the Elden Ring controller that was leaked a while ago. I know we know nothing about it, but do non-Microsoft controllers work fine with Windows 10? I enjoy that the official xbox controllers are just plug and play, everything detects it normally, no additional install needed.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fruits of the sea posted:

I’ve tried 2 third party controllers now that worked seamlessly. Don’t think things are nearly as janky now as they were back in the day.

FYI my elite controller broke after 2 months and there’s a bunch of people in the steam thread with similar experiences. It seems to have really poor QC despite being a premium controller

E: third party controllers can’t remap buttons to keyboard keys without a bunch of messing around, so they are limited in that way.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll return the thing then.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Wait, what the gently caress? You can summon Melina for the Morgott fight? Either I have been missing some trigger to make their summon sign appear, or I've just been running past it each time I play and never notice it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Speaking of crows, does anyone here ever bother going into melee with the bloody crows? That is one enemy that over multiple playthroughs I just cannot get a feel for. They scare me and they hurt a lot. I'd rather fight a laser beam golem inside a phone booth.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Giant Hunt is awesome. Good health and posture damage, and its quick too. It's beautiful on my Greatsword.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Aldrich from Dark Souls 3 had an appetite for the divine too, like Rykard. From Software likes their bosses to eat gods I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Pro tip: the one exception to the powerstance rule comes from the boat anchor and pickaxe, which can be powerstanced even though they are different weapon types. They also do peirce damage, making them one of the best combos in the game - a jumping dual attack will one-shot any soldier attempting to block.

That seems bizarre when reading that, why is that the case?

Another minor note about power stancing - you can power stance a katana and a wakizashi, which is technically a dagger. It just acts like another katana.