Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wasn't impressed by the trailer. It looked low detail due to being an open world game. I'm still buying it at launch and going to enjoy it, just felt like everything looked underdone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lih posted:

fromsoft games have never been graphical powerhouses or anything and this was already announced as a previous gen game, so idk why anyone was expecting this to be the prettiest game ever. it looks fine though, just a refinement of their house style with a little more detail & better lighting that you'd expect it to have. the fantastic art direction is really what carries the look of it, even more than previous fromsoft games.

It looks less detailed. I'm not commenting on the graphics. The interior shots in particular just looked sparse. From games aren't the prettiest but I feel like there's always a fair bit going on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

VideoGames posted:

If you have played NuDes (on the mythical unreleased PS5) I get why people want a graphical powerhouse From Game.

It is the best looking game I have played (imagined) but there is nada wrong with the art direction on any of the other games and this looks fantastic too.

Yeah demon's souls is absolutely crazy. It's very hard to walk away from that game and not want more, but I wasn't expecting it from this.

I just hope open world doesn't mean this game feels bare. Sekiro's environments are so rich and interesting to explore. The art delivers.

I'm sure in the end I'll feel like the opposite about Elden Ring because I'll just go wandering off somewhere and find some neat thing and get that open world "I'm the only one that's seen this" feeling, which will be super awesome in a From game with From sensibilities.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 11, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Volte posted:

Demon's Souls isn't a FROM game anymore and they had nothing to do with the remaster so I wouldn't look to that with any form of expectation whatsoever.

Wants aren't expectations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Al Fresco Souls

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i thought that leaked clip was fake because it looked like a bunch of recycled ds3 animations and now I feel foolish

The animations don't looks that great but I am intrigued by that big leaping attack. I wonder what the go is with mobility this time. The character movement looked way more extreme than previous games which I'm on board with.

I'm not making GBS threads on the animations the game is still ages away and can only get more polished.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

man, if there's one thing i thought looked flawless it was the animations. like are we even looking at the same game? and coming after sekiro no less, the game with the some of the best animations and hitboxes in the industry. like, that werewolf dude and the treeface boss, holy poo poo does their movement look nuanced.

I found the characters (assume NPCs) a bit wooden is all. The combat looks sick that's why I'm wondering about those big jumps!

hatty posted:

Maybe a hot take but I don't like how the Demon's Souls remake looks and I think this looks much better. Not a very fair comparison since DS is a PS3 game under the hood so a newer game can go all out on the cool stuff.

Man it's so beautiful. When you reach the castle and those two guys are standing on the dead dragon just loving around it was a massive holy poo poo moment for me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like this convo, it's so healthy and enlightening. Please continue.

E: I'm so excited for this particularly after Sekiro. I think it's going to be a mechanic nightmare in the best way.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 12, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Relin posted:

as someone who enjoys difficult CAG i found sekiro to be incredibly hard (though i platinumed it) so hopefully elden ring takes a step (or several) back from that

It's an rpg again so I'm sure you can simply grind a bit or optimise your build to make things a bit easier on yourself.

I love Sekiro so much and it's my tied favourite From game with BB. I think on a particular level Sekiro is my favourite though because I like character action games and it's probably the best one ever made or at the very least stands alongside Ninja Gaiden Black, Vanquish and DMC4. I'd love to see From tackle a similar game after this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

perc2 posted:

imagine complaining that FROM is making a Dark Souls type game instead of boring baby samurai rhythm action. it honestly looks loving incredible

Who did this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Parrying by firing a blunderbuss at point blank range into someone's face will always be the superior form of parry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will never summon a ghost Pokemon in this game because I am a true gamer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bows1 posted:

Maybe I used that term wrong; but is it a map that ONLY has 6 distinct areas so you are always in one of them, or is there an overworld map that you traverse to get to the 6 distinct areas, is kind of my question. Outside of the main "hub" of course which would probably not be part of any of the 6 areas.

It all read like the map has six distinct regions to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm kind of hoping the central tree thing and the world itself is designed in such a way that you can navigate by landmarks without needing anything else. I'm not sure how, but Miyazaki said they're going to guide you along the mainline path. I'd like to see them do it in an unobtrusive and interesting way if possible.

I really enjoyed playing tsushima with the map and stuff all switched off just using the wind to guide me for example.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

stev posted:

The trick is to let your eyes unfocus from the screen and let instinct take over.

Too hard. I just wear a blindfold and listen intensely.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I reckon I spent 2 hours over a couple of sessions trying to beat Genichiro and on my last try he went down in under a minute. From that point on I just crushed everything in the game because he taught me how to play. When I got to owl I just beat him into a corner, at which point he hesitated and I smashed him to bits. It was brutal.

Probably my favourite action game ever. Give me more of that clashing steel!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I loved Disco Elysium but Games hosed up in 2019 naming it #1 over Sekiro, and I stand by that claim :colbert:

DE isn't even a video game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

multijoe posted:

We all died so many times playing Sekiro it gave the world Dragonrot

Dragonrot doesn't actually do anything. It's all been a scam after all??????

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

UrbicaMortis posted:

I think sometimes you can really fluke a boss on your first fight with them. I almost killed Ludwig first try and then didn't get him to his second phase the next fifteen tries. It's weird.

Yeah I often get into the zone and take a boss to 10%hp first try. Then I think "wow I'm doing great" and proceed to get the poo poo kicked out me for an hour.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Guys calm down it took him four tries before he spammed axe against final phase isshin and best the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

More dicks!

- GRRM

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't think the game is multiple dark souls

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Without a hint of sarcasm, irony or mischief it does sound like a simple ubi game for baby.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm interested in seeing if ranged is fun in this game. For some reason I think a magic archer might be cool for something a bit different.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tote up a bags posted:

What's the predictions on PS4 performance for this game? Based on Bloodborne I'm not super hopeful, although Sekiro ran pretty smooth.
Basically am I buying another loving console to play this game? (I know it's on PC too but i am a lazy couch tv boy)

Bloodborne is just poorly put together. This game doesn't look any more demanding than previous From games, so without any real information I'll just say it will be fine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

codo27 posted:

Keep yearning. I borrowed my brothers PS4 and I just cant get into it mainly because it feels like shoving this thing into my eyes

Maybe get your eyes tested.

skasion posted:

Call Beyond kind of sucks unfortunately. Useless in tight spaces, useless against fast enemies, and even when you do find a time and place to use it, it still burns through bullets way too fast. Augur, blacksky eye, executioner’s gloves, tiny tonitrus, and accursed brew are the real good poo poo.

I used almost nothing but augur and kirkhammer on my first run and it was the greatest gaming.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 9, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think Sekiro and bloodborne are both about as good as eachother, aka GOATs.
But I've played thru bloodborne like 4 times now and only finished Sekiro once.

Sekiro is a lot more refined though and I think I might prefer the combat once you figure it out it's just a lot less forgiving. There's a lot in bloodborne that is rough around the edges by comparison.
The way I ended up playing was planting my feet and relentlessly attacking and parrying and in any window using the stamina regen double hand sword swing

But bloodborne is the most moody and aesthetic one they've done, with the best setting I think, though at least 2 of Sekiros zones are in the running for best souls zone

Similar position for me. I much prefer BB and Sekiro to the DS games.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

Sekiro seems fantastic but the combat never clicked for me and practicing it wasn't fun at all. If I wanted parryspam I'd play Metal Gear RR or something along those lines. Not a huge fan of how they give you a practice dummy but he's so basic you can't learn poo poo from him because every other thing in the game is more dangerous. Stealth is useful but also hinders learning since you can just stealth kill most enemies instead of fighting them if you find them annoying.

It's really weird because I like everything else about the game but there's little point to playing a Fromsoft game if you don't like the combat.

The real training dummy is Genichiro and he lives at the top of the castle. After that you can just cruise to victory as a learned master of the blade.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gologle posted:

My man, they don't call it Fashion Souls because they care about taking damage. Beauty is its own invincibility.

The hidden Confidence stat trumps all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Blind Rasputin posted:

Holy moly this gameplay trailer is nuts.

Is something new out?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phobophilia posted:

getting invaded by a guy 2-handing a mace or a reinforced club is legitimately more terrifying than someone in full havels holding a fume knight ultra greatsword

mace/flail guy knows how to fight

Invader guy wearing rags with a heavy stick immediately makes my brain go "real poo poo is about to happen".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol yeah this is him

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MechaSeinfeld posted:

1. It’s extremely hosed up that this year is over in like three months
2. Elend ring

This year has been a hundred I am not taken by surprise by time on this occasion

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I need this game. I don't really care about the gameplay at this point... I just want to explore it!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I really want magic to be great so I can play a wizard in this game. If From can deliver me a great wizard arpg I'll be forever in their debt.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ninja magician

loving picture those words

I was thinking a ranger magician because why not cast a firestorm then shoot monsters languishing in it?

Tsushima has amazing 3rd person combat from a spectacle and responsiveness standpoint.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Third person shooters are an abomination.

Vanquish.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Resident Evil 4 on my initial playthrough and subsequent replay was very good. Trying it again recently revealed a game that was quite engaging and graphically pretty great, but very tiresome to play at times even when your muscle memory kicks in around quick turns and etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I agree BP. This thread is good ground for us to agree, I believe.

I'm going to cop the preload and sleep like an angel then get up early and play play play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JBP, you're a good one and I respect your opinions. I'm sorry if my shitposting ever got on your nerves. :)

It never has and never will. I'm just enjoying another From ground floor.