Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Raygereio posted:

After the honeymoon period, I'm starting to sour on Elden Ring somewhat. When the game is good, it's really good. But there's also quite a bit of annoying or just plain miserable unfun content.
I can't help but feel the game was just way too big for From. Most of the lovely content has a "we've run out of ideas and/or time" vibe to it.

:confused: Transfering save files worked just fine Dark Souls 3. And it worked in Elden Ring for me. The folder name in %appdata%/eldenring is your unique steamid. But the actual savefile inside the folder - the .sl2 file, isn't tied to your account. When you boot up the game thought, it's possible Steam yells at you because the local save files are different then the ones in your cloud storage. But you can tell it to keep using your local files and it'll be fine.

Anything in particular driving this since I'm feeling not too dissimilar, but that's less gameplay and more lore and cut content which was a lot more noticeable and severe here than past games.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

acumen posted:

yeah while the mimic can definitely do solid damage (especially with all the op WAs/bleed/etc) the real key is having it draw aggro leaving you free to stomp/laser/anime the poo poo out of the boss without getting 19-hit combo'd. I would assume some of the other ashes can do the job decently enough - the only other one I used was the jellyfish and it was "ok", though I didn't upgrade it too much.

Still it can probably solo a few of the bosses. The only one that ever gave it real trouble was Maliketh, and that was mostly my fault for letting it tank the entire fight because gently caress that guy

Humanoid bosses can be made nearly trivial with the wolf or kaiden ashes since those just attack non-stop. Did the sage cave assassin(turns invisible) with the wolves and it was almost trivial. Can't recall the boss, but I summoned the kaiden merc for another and he pretty much soloed it for me which I did not expect.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BisbyWorl posted:

You can never go wrong with being able to make 99 rot and bleed arrows on demand.

Radahn is ESPECIALLY weak to both of those.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dodgeblan posted:

the crafting is uninteresting but it doesn't detract from my experience

about the only criticism I have is that the open world music is too repetitive and not very good. They need to figure out how to do the cool stuff Breath of the Wild does with overworld music

I love the fact that every region has a day time and night time version of their music.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Venuz Patrol posted:

no that fight is supposed to be hard

I mean Pontiff Sulyvhan was also supposed to be hard and he got nerfed(decrease in attack speed if memory is correct).

Appoda posted:

Does anything else happen with Ken? I got his fort back like a zillion hours ago and I don't think I've seen him since

Millie's quest line is a hot mess but she does kick some rear end once you get the ability to summon her. I hosed off from red lightning tree sentinel after a few failed attempts, then summoned her to the fight ~20 hours later and she creamed 'em first try.

His and Nepheli's quest lines were supposed to intersect, but that got axed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t9u5b6/st_trina_is_spoilerscut_content/

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oscar Wild posted:

That loving dog ate Gowry at least twice. Rip

Good. gently caress him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Why don't you buy that thing anyway if you already haven't? There's a bit more going on with the Royal Family than may be apparent at first.

That's not the only "shackle" you can get your hands on, either.

Even if you don't use it as intended, it's great for triggering fire/ice pillar traps to bypass them.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

So It Goes posted:

Between reforged and convergence do people have any opinions on which would be the better overhaul mod to try out? There’s also apparently a paid one (garden of eyes)? Hard to imagine that one is worth it but which one of these should get first priority to mess around with?

I'd probably watch Prod's videos and go from there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

OGS-Remix posted:

I've been using the starting wretch club even in my mostly magic run and it's working pretty well.

If I stay at 10 Str, are there even any other better weapons to use? It has good stance damage, good attack animations, even the starting skill is decent. It's funny to be running around in robes and then pulling out a club and beating someone to death with it.

The Lordsworn Lordsword carried by just about every soldier in the game is by far the best weapon for what you're looking for and can take any infusion amazingly well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ariong posted:

Is it possible to cheat to give yourself items without getting banned from multiplayer? I’m curious what it would be like to dual wield Zweihanders but there’s no easy way to get two.

Trivially easy on console if you have friend to help. Just upload a save to the cloud and then just give the item to your friend and thrn roll the save back. It's how people dupe +25 and +10 weapons as well as "infinite" items.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I am so loving upset right now. One more shot. Just one more and I'd have beat Malenia first try. But the she Waterfowls me. My God though, Rykard's sword is a thing if beauty and majesty with the damage it does.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Took me like 5-6 tries, but Malenia down and I'm just outside Mohg's door. Wanna coop with someone so that I can test best weapon for him.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Node posted:

Giant Hunt is awesome. Good health and posture damage, and its quick too. It's beautiful on my Greatsword.

Further proof that Radahn's people had the best loving stuff in the game. Right now I have Flaming Strike on my Banished Knight Sword and MAN is that just so much fun to use and gives you an added fire buff to your weapon.

Drone_Fragger posted:

good lord, Rykards voice acting is....... kind of rough. Luckily he doesn't have to say much before me and my mimic tear absolutely demolish his dumb rear end with the snake spear. Gotta love gimmick bosses.

How dare you! There is nothing wrong with his glorious voice acting.

Epic High Five posted:

In addition to what tuxedo said, the Golden Halberd doesn't sound like it fits thematically but it's available straight away from a new save file, is a full bore str/fai weapon, hits like a goddamned truck, and has a somewhat reduced version of the best buff in the game as its weapon art

Seconding this because yeah it's a BEAST of a weapon. Even with his insanely high holy resistance, Maliketh was STILL getting hurt bad by this.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thank you cosplay cooperator Big Boggart for carrying me through Mohg.

He even dropped prawns and crabs afterwards. loving legend.

Stuff like this is what makes the game and community so awesome.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Aldritch: eats children, only gods he killed were strays and burnt-out husks, is literally a big bag of poo poo. has no friends except his enabler Sulyvahn. homophobic. mostly just a sad reminder of a cooler boss.

Rykard: raises his children to be big and strong, has a wife and many friends who come and visit all the time, rebels against the ruling regime, is the only dude besides you bad enough to take Maliketh. ghosts hate him

You forgot to list that Rykard also loves his family a lot and still protects them like the Black Flame Monk and Radahn Soldiers being coded to not be aggro at each other and there are Godskins protecting both Divine Towers associated with his siblings.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

unfortunately it's a halberd and therefore has a jank-rear end moveset, although at least unlike spears the heavy attack is a sweep

I dunno about the other halberds, but Commanders Standard and Banished Knights are insanely good and awesome. Haven't used the Night Cavalry or Golden in some time, but remember liking them a lot so I dunno.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

verbal enema posted:

Frenzied Flame stone?

It's like a Warming Stone, but for crazy people.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Obligatum VII posted:

So I finally decided to try out Maliketh's greatsword and it feels... bad. The weapon art is way overcosted compared to other weapon arts than manage to do the same or more damage for half the cost. Not to mention you get locked into it for 5 million years. It's a shame cause it looks cool but it's just way too slow and will get you killed in every possible circumstance. It's kind of weird it's not a two-parter with the initial spin and the ground stab as an optional followup.

On the other hand, I never respected the weapon art on the black knife enough, I gave it a try and that thing is vicious. A comically cheap and powerful projectile that comes out pretty fast.

The Incantation from Maliketh is great though. It's like the Black Knife one, but BIGGER AND MEANER. Sword wasn't bad per se, but like you said, the AoW is very low and locks you down. Brutal if it lands though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

War Wizard posted:

Works on everything and is an amazing opener on any boss. Its counterpart, the blade of calling, has a similar projectile with decent knockback that knocks over medium sized enemies.

The move set is also special for daggers and is really good once you get used to it.

It's interesting to note that both of those share the same moveset as the Erdsteel Daggers right down to having the exact scaling points(Str, Dex, Fth), but with different values(Erdsteel is equal D, Calling is DCB, and Black Knife is EBC). It's why there's speculation of the "Night of Black Knives" being an inside job with regards to the assassins being Numen(or of Numen origin).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Decided to farm for the Magma Blade just because. First drop. I was legit so shocked that I saved the video of it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been thinking about some of the Lore aspects as I play through the game again. Mostly the timeline of the Shattering and the common people view of the conflict.

I think no one knew about Mohg and Morgott until the Shattering? Like, they were just hidden underground until the chaos let them break out? So as far as anyone knows, Godwyn was the only child of Godfrey and Marika and the start of the Golden Lineage. Then when the Elden Ring is broken, Godwyn dies and Radagon and Marika vanish, this dude appears claiming to be Godwyn's secret brother and defends Leyndell from the various rebel kids. Meanwhile Mohg goes underground and starts building his blood cult. Except Gideon knows of Mohg in his lore dumps?

Also, as we see in the Morgott boss room, the kids had thrones in there, implying there used to be some kind of council with all the princes and princesses of the realm. Why would the kids of Radagon and Rennala be there if no one knows Radagon is Marika? They're quite powerful in their own right and maybe it was justified as being a political move to stop the war with the Carians from restarting?

We get to learn quite a lot of big secrets as we journey through the lands between.

Some personal theories. I think people "knew" about Mohg and Morgott, but not that they necessarily Omen's at least not publicly. We only know that the Golden Order seemed to REALLY start getting a hard on for oppressing and brutalizing Omens and Misbeggoten around the time that Godfrey got the boot since the Crucible Knights were also outcast and they share a somewhat similar trait of being partially bestial. Gideon likely heard it rumored from one of his spies through the grapevine about Mohg and him being an Omen became more public during the Shattering with Morgott operating under an alias when he goes on his hunts as an Omen vs ruling as the secret king.

The stuff with the thrones is Radagon's kids with Rennala being brought into the fold as Queen Marika's step-children. Also, them being strong as gently caress likely helped what with some cut descriptions implying Radahn was a giant killer in his own right(hence why Caelid has some many giant skulls) and stopping the movement of the stars, Rykard seemingly being VERY good at incantations and sorcery based on his weapon and signature spell and being all about brutalizing enemies of the state, and Ranni being the Heir Apparent to the title of Sorceress Supreme from her mom as well as a candidate for godhood.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's kinda sad. Morgott is quite pitiful when you think about it.

Meanwhile Mohg was on the Epstein flight logs.

For real. His flavor text of his remembrance and his cloak are just sad as hell. Guy KNEW that the Erdtree loathed and hated him for being an Omen and his STILL loved it and fought for it with all he had all the while dressed in a ragged cloak because he viewed it as all he deserved in life.

Mohg is the one character that's easy and okay to hate. I mean even Rykard has affable traits like his legitimate love(in a non creepy as gently caress way) for his family.

Edit: Good Lord does the Oracle Long Doot brutalize the Fire Giant.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 6, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I stand corrected. gently caress him too. Creepy rapey bastard. He does give you Magic Scorpion Charm though so props to that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

PathAsc posted:

Dollfucker Prime is kill on sight, gently caress 100% completion

Can't. It locks you out of doing Doll Waifu quest so you do need to keep him alive if briefly. Plus, getting him killed by his own dolls is a great ironic punishment.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Arcvasti posted:

You might be able to still do the quest after killing him if you get forgiveness from the turtle pope afterwards? I've never tried it, but his part in the quest is both unhelpful and optional so it should work in theory.

No that legit doesn't work because Seluvis is a puppet controlled by Pidia and his area has a protection spell preventing violence against him. It's why when he dies, he's slumped over like the same puppets in his "cellar" and why there are puppets around Pidia.

Paracelsus posted:

I usually give the potion to Dung-Eater, so I'd forgotten that if you show it to Gideon he will actually call Seluvis a "dolly botherer."

I still can't believe they included that line. I wonder if it was inspired by Gherman's comment in Bloodborne.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LazyMaybe posted:

Frankly, Seluvis' own dialogue from the bit just before you get the amber shard goes further than that-

What's funny about the amber starlight shard is that its description contains the bit

So Seluvis' using it to make his super special Ranni enslavement potion that doesn't actually do anything isn't based on, like... any kind of actual logic.
He just believes that it will work, because amber-hued stars are special like demigods are. Complete magical thinking(plus arrogance, of course).

Given the old timey contexts of "make sport of", I immediately got major creep vibes from him, but yeah his dialogue goes way further. If you refuse his scheme he'll play it off like it was some secret test of character and not the secret creep poo poo that it is.

In other news, Fire Giant is dead and I'm at my usual impasse. Do I let Melina burn or do I inherit the Frenzied Flame? I have the needle so I can cure the Flame after offing Placi. Thoughts? Wondering if it'll be important for the dlc hence questions.

As an aside, I'm in Farum Azula via wrong warp and just outside the Godskins.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 6, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

War Wizard posted:

Shabriri did nothing wrong.

Also drat I hate twin gargoyles.

I dunno, Shabriri wanted to...actually you know what yeah I can totally get where he was coming from with the whole "Burn this Motherfucker DOWN!!!" feelings.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shabriri masterminded the massacre of the nomads.

I'm of that theory yes. I think he was a Prophet like Brother Coryn and possibly a follower of Noble Goldmask. When Goldmask seemingly died under questionable circumstances, he accused the Golden Order of fowl play and they gouged his eyes leading to the discovery of the Flame of Frenzy. He then orchestrated the purge of the nomads with carefully laid slander and accusations and the rest is history.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

War Wizard posted:

I don't want this to be true, because the Golden Order are still the ones who did-the-thing. But it does fit really well. However I don't think an exiled monk could convince the Golden Order to do anything they weren't already going to do.

Oh very on the second part. Them being xenophobic and prone to genociding and brutalizing those they don't like is completely on brand(Fire Giants, Trolls, Albinaurics, Omens, Misbeggoten). What's adding another to the ledger? The idea is more that he slandered and lied about the Nomads and the GO in all their racist xenophobia didn't think to question it and went all in.

Edit: Public service announcement. The AoW Flame Strike is loving awesome. That is all.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 8, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7321773320716782880

This account does what-if fights between monsters and bosses all day, sometimes with surprising results

Black Knight vs Crucible Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgcXHC7A_I

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes and no. There's a pretty good chance the Dung Eater's "seedbed curse" is just him making sure that people will be reborn as Omens, and in any case Omens are a naturally-occurring phenomenon that he took inspiration from.

The Crimson and Azure Seed Talismans, Morgott's remembrance and boss items, Dung Eater's armor, and a whole bunch of items related to the Followers (horned underground animal-worshiper dudes) have relevant lore.

It's not a 100% certain connection by any means but I think the implication is that Omens are related to the Erdtree's reproductive cycle and ability to produce seeds and new trees, which was temporarily suppressed after the Rune of Death was sealed, back during the proverbial golden age.

If the seedbed curse = the omen curse, then Omens are hated for two reasons: one is that they're a reminder that the Erdtree is mortal and will some day die, and the other is it's a potentially-transmittable condition that prevents your soul from returning to the Erdtree. It might still be possible to be reborn (perhaps through a Minor Erdtree?), but you can never again be part of the dominant social / supernatural order of the world.
Don't disagree, but I think part of the suppression is revisionist history by the Golden Order trying to establish that they were ALWAYS the dominant religion and that it was everyone else trying to take them down. The existence of a sort of primordial era implied by the followers as well as Dragonlord Placidusax himself makes it clear that there WAS a time before the Erdtree and the Golden Order.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think there must have been a succession of holders of the Crucible / Elden Ring. The exact order and timeline is really hard to pin down except that the dragons were first and Marika was last. Also, some of them may have existed simultaneously with each other, since we know that, for example, the Rune of Death was under the Gloam-Eyed Queen's control until Maliketh took it from her, and once he did it dramatically weakened her followers' black flame powers.

Marika may have eventually united everything into a single whole, but it's pretty clear that the Great Runes themselves can exert their power on the world independent of each other -- or maybe just as part of a looser supernatural structure than they eventually ended up in? And several characters, starting with Rogier, muse about how "flexible" the Golden Order is in terms of absorbing formerly-heretical concepts in order to survive and stay on top.
I think that flexibility is more of a selective one since the only thing they really didn't wipe out or brutally oppress were the dragons due Godwyn's appeal, but also likely due the fact that wiping out the entire species of a former Elden Lord would be some REALLY bad PR and a tough sell. Not to mention a distinct lack of firepower they could justify bringing into the fold if the lore on of Gravel Stone Seal is anything to ho by.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

bro I swear these aren’t the same crucible knights they put in my game

I dunno. I think it's more that Black Knights just carry some BIG BOY swords since lore wise, they extinguished the demons.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
We don't really know much about Marika or the Numen other than the latter being seldom born so who knows.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah I'm curious

Was Radagon = Marika supposed to mean Radagon was a hive mind Borg or was Marika doing a Mrs Doubtfire

I've posted about this before but, I'm of the opinion that Radagon was perfected Mimic Tear of Marika that was created by Nox which is what led to their banishment by the Greater Will. The Greater Will not wanting to just let such a useful tool go to waste put Radagon to good use in the wars in Liurnia and eventually marrying Rennala thus removing an obstacle, then the divorce happened leadingmto Rennala's breakdown, etc.. The reasoning for wanting to become "complete" in terms of learning both sorcery and incantations is due to the original programming to become a perfect lord. This would also explain Marika's rather dismissive comments about him not yet being a God like her because she knows he's just a clone. This would also explain the masks of confidence that Radagon made Preceptors wear since the "Law of Regression" incantation is pure intelligence based and thus they'd likely see right through that he's a Mimic Tear of Marika.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 10, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomfunk posted:

theories like that don't really hold when the cinematic introduction of the character in question is very explicitly not that thing.

which is a shame because I do really like that line of thinking and think everything about the game except that particular fight supports it.

I think it fits given the cut quest for mimic tear involves you ingesting it so it's possibly a nod to that. A bunch of stuff got changed and shifted around in development* so it's possible they altered things leaving a bunch of stuff not quite fitting in, but that is still my running theory.

* Some of the changes are the cut Mimic Tear and Kale questlines as well as the dream merchant or the changes to the Banished Knights blatantly being this games versions of the DS2/3 Drakeblood Knights, but that being soft retconned. This wouldn't be the first time since the Demon Prince soul from DS3 referenced his defeat at the hands of Lorian until that was retconned for some reason

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

skasion posted:

Corhyn should probably be less judgmental since he teaches fire incants and is therefore a heretic himself

According to the lore, he was also blinded or at least forced to wear those wraps on his eyes as "penance" for having a vision of the Erdtree on fire. He can afford to cut some slack over teaching stuff that the GO was cool with like Two Fingers and Dragon Cult stuff.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

No Dignity posted:

It did hurt for real in DS1 when your humanity could be a significant stock that would be non-trivial to get back. Past that though yeah it's easy come, easy go

The bonus from having a ton of humanity is also not something to understate. I pretty much farmed all of the "hidden" humanity in all of the areas prior going into The Depths ending up with 20 or just a bit more and being unkillable by the Basilisks due to the increased resistances.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

Get the twiggy cracked tear, pop it before you know you're probably about to die and you've got 3 minutes of not losing runes. If you've lost them already, chug it then and if you die trying to retrieve them they won't disappear.

edit - iirc the twiggy cracked is just sitting out in a field in Altus, super easy

I do also like that the twigs are farmable in this game. Granted they only drop from Wormfaces which do Deathblight which circumvents it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

skasion posted:

Pickaxe uses greataxe animations and therefore can be dual wielded with any greataxe (and itself), even though it’s classed as a great hammer for some reason. It also doesn’t mention that it works that way in the item description, unlike the wakizashi. Possibly never-noticed bug? or just designers disagreeing with each other.

I think it's due to being a pierce damage type weapon same for the anchor.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

I forgot how much navigating the Haligtree sucks.

It's somehow worse than the loving tree in DS1. It's those loving envoys with their loving bubbles. And it's not even the GOOD horn either.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

War Wizard posted:

I tried fighting Malenia last night with a death birb gimmick build and it wasn't working out. She demands such a high level of git-gud for builds not explicitly full physical, that it just isn't fun. So I pulled out the Grave Scythe and Mimic Tear+10 and just Loretta Slashed her to death. Absolutely trivializes the fight, but screw it. She needs either less health, less health steal, or less damage. One of those three would stop me from thinking shes a lame fight and actually want to try.

I like fighting Rykard without the spear because he becomes more like a puzzle boss, and I just froze him over and over again. It was oddly easier than engaging with the gimmick.

Malenia is the reason every build I try to make ALWAYS tilts to faith just so I can spam Takers Flame on her. Death Bird should have been a gimmie though with the poker and it's exploding flames.

I've done that with Rykars before when I don't have the Spear and get summoned for him. Strangely works very well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

I worked out a pretty foolproof system to kill her quick with incants and a pure faith build but that's the extent of it, I wouldn't even know where to start with sorcery. Probably just stack insane damage and spam night comet

Rykard is a lot of fun without the spear but it's only a real option for a handful of builds. I think the lava interrupts go away with 100+ poise, but that also means you're probably fatrolling and still have to contend with a trillion health.

Naturally, the long doot annihilates him in seconds

Banished Knight Set + 30 Stam + Big Jar Talisman + Bull Goat Talisman = Big Boy Poise

Long Doot is so much fun on big bosses. I REALLY wanna try on Rykard on another playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

I did a trial run with one and had to scramble to start recording for the 2nd phase because I hadn't realized phase 1 would last like 10 seconds lol

With him and Mohg I honestly don't recommend it except for the novelty value, because they're really great fights that shouldn't be just instantly ended like the long doot can do

I fight them fair on my end, but go ahead and Doot them on summons.