Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I finished my first playthrough on Sunday and dove right the gently caress back in with a wretch. I scavenged enough to one-shot Margit in like an hour and a half. Incredible game that really makes me want to try and get a handle on my arachnophobia so I can actually play any of the other From games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

exquisite tea posted:

No judgment. There's an embarrassing number of mechanics you can just fail to understand, especially if it's your first Souls game. The other day I came across a video of some guy's first Malenia kill that still had the 5% HP hug lady debuff on him lmao.

I had that on for 1.5 playthroughs :smug:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

I just picked up the greatsword, which is a colossal sword, and it is extremely satisfying.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

So last night I hit Radahn, who traditionally has been fairly tough for me; my last two playthroughs were dex/faith (throw Black Fire Fireball, repeat until dead) and dex/int (Moonveil katana is loving rad and also so eventually was Comet Azur although that was a post-Radahn addition), and Radahn is mobile enough that it was tough to hit him with my overpowered ranged nonsense and neither of those characters was tough enough to hang in melee.

I did not waltz in and one-shot him with my "only strength, colossal swords, guard counter when I feel like letting the enemy attack" build. Instead, I slowly, methodically improved at the fight over maybe four attempts? Possibly five. I threw on a shield with the sword and by the last attempt I got up to him, chopped off 70% of his health to trigger the next phase, dodged his dumb bullshit, hit him with three jump attacks, dodged out to recover stamina, walked up guarding and finished him off with another jump attack. No muss, no fuss.

Now, I have the advantage of already having done the fight on two other characters, but the colossal weapon play style is not one I'm used to; as my first two builds may imply I tend to go with fast, ranged, sneaky, dodgy characters, mostly because it lets me ignore mechanics and continue to be bad at games by alpha-striking things before they notice me. Elden Ring forced me to get good, and it feels great.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

He's a good boy and can sit where he wants, (go talk to Kale).

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

My method is to never spend the rune items I pick up for that very reason, because then if I'm at a merchant and just 578 runes away from buying them out, or ready to upgrade a new or old weapon, or top off those last 1/5/9k runes until the level threshold, I just open the inventory and pop whatever runes I need from there. Added benefit of not losing them on death.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

Sekiro directly encourages that mindset with its purchasable coin pouches. I think that was a big hint from Miyazaki about the intended use of rune/soul/blood consumables.

Undoubtedly. The fact that experience to level in no way kept pace with the rune potential of the golden runes I was finding was a clear signal to me that I was supposed to save them and not just pop them to chase stat-ups.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

All you need to wear a ring is a Finger.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Jose posted:

best helm in the game for sure because my weapon clips through it

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

I am a dishonorable mimic tear user through and through and even I have not sunk to that level of depravity.

(I did once beat Agheel with the UI off on a confessor while high out of my mind so I have given myself a pass on boss cheese, still have never beaten and will never beat Rykard honestly because gently caress that guy.)

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Omnomnomnivore posted:

(And like, apparently that Boc guy has a whole storyline I never finished, I think I left him in a cave).

I'm calling the police.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

They're adding yo-yos like in Earthbound, and then Mother 3 will be localized.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

I wish I could "get" Sekiro, I've tried before and I'll try again but it hasn't quite clicked for me yet.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Try not to live your life in such a way that when someone sees your throne after vanquishing their foe they remember they need to kill you.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

thinking a lot about media literacy for no real reason

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

The secret, as I discovered recently on my latest attempt at a Faith playthrough, is to throw lightning at them.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

To access the DLC you must open The Chest and beat that dungeon, but it locks out at rune level 20.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5TZM1QToA

This is what I follow, and it's pretty easy to memorize after a few runs. Just keep in mind that if you do get all the weapon upgrades too, it will trivialize the early areas.

Until I watched this video I had no idea you could use Spiritsprings to jump down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Pyro Jack posted:

Cleared Caria Manor. Do not like the giant severed and fused hand things, less about being actually difficult (they aren't outside of numbers which applies to every enemy anyway) and more about how creepy they are.

There are so many Elden Ring enemies, the hands among them, that evoke what makes spider enemies in games creepy, without having any actual literal spiders. It's truly incredible.