Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah, I thought I'd had some sense of the extent to which From was using thematic layering and visual cues and poo poo, but I watched these videos and realized I had not even comprehended like 7% of what was going on. Like it straight up did not occur to me to even think that, like, statues were being intentionally placed and used, or to notice that an area had multiple sets of overlapping architecture that showed how various peoples used and occupied the spaces at various times. I blame a lifetime of games using pseudo-medieval fantasy trappings as thoughtless background filler. In most games, statues are repeated in places because the devs wanted there to be something to break up a boring wall, and it's the same statue because they didn't want to waste time or budget on a bunch of statues that are "just gonna be background filler anyway lol."

And then From pulls this poo poo out like "Oh, you didn't notice that the Fortified Manor is a Norman style castle, clearly separated from more Byzantine opulence of the rest of the city and thus indicative of an earlier time, prior to the Golden Order? You artless peasant? You loving troglodyte?"

I watched some of those videos and this is absolutely how I felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

doing a second playthrough and actually engaging with the mp this time. don't care too much for the pvp, but really enjoying coop with my light rolling noble slender sword wretch. I've stayed at RL32 / +5 (40 vigor and 11 dex) and it's a lot of godrick, but a pretty good amount of catacombs too. sometimes it's pretty funny what you get summoned for. one time I got summoned to kill the walking mausoleum in weeping peninsula only for it to turn out I couldn't damage it??

I got summoned a lot actually, basically every 10 minutes. didn't expect so many people to still be at it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

moved on to liurnia, still RL32 +5. forgot how annoying the maps are there. there's a weird amount of people summoning me for tombsward cave, it's gotta be one of the easiest. red wolf of radagon is popular too. wonder when I'll need to level up again.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

my favorite coop summon is "guy who insta-skips the initial godrick cinematic but then watches the entire second phase cinematic" because i like to think that's the first time they got that far

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the mp is a quantum leap reference

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

holy moly do a lot of people summon coop for rennala. RL32 +5 seems like a really good spot to be in for early game summons, just getting called in non stop and have like 75 rune arcs now.

also lost 200k runes after trying out invasions a few times and not realizing you have to pick your runes up if you die.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

getting summoned for radahn and coastal cave back to back. RL32 kicks rear end

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

think I'm finally getting to a point where my RL32 damage just doesn't really hold up. barely managed to eke out a win against the valiant gargoyles after like 30 attempts, morgott in about maybe half that, though I feel like the fire giant is going to be a real pain in my rear end and leyndell trash already kind of is. I like using my noble slender swords but I might have to think of a higher damage weapon, or something.

still having a lot of fun helping as a cooperator. I think Radahn might be the highest I can be summoned for without leveling up more, but we'll see. currently turning my runes into crab.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

UnbearablyBlight posted:

At level 32 lategame status is your friend. Slap some Bleed on those slender swords, proc rot and poison with arrows, pots, or antspur, and watch fire giant melt (comparatively, anyway)

thanks. I just managed to whittle Niall down one 72 damage hit at a time with the very occasional bleed proc, so I guess I know what I'm in for with the fire giant. :3:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

joke's on you, i don't even know how to write messages in the first place

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

(with the exception of Radahn, that's a fight I honestly don't ever think I'll do legit - you either cheese it or luck out on summons who can survive the second phase).

i got my rear end kicked about ten times where it was not even close and I couldn't see much recourse before I went "hmm, scarlet rot ate this guy inside out, maybe rotten breath ... ???" and then he died

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

is there a way to get the dung eater puppet without getting boggard killed? apparently the trick with aggroing him and then seeking absolution after the moat fight was fixed in 1.10, and I need my crab.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Raygereio posted:

According to the wiki buying a prawn while he's at his Liurnia shack is what triggers him to move to Leyndell's moat. So don't do that until after you've finished off Dung Eater?

i already did because i didn't know about the change until I looked it up when I got to leyndell :smith:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

... oh yeah, he drops the bell bearing. duh.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i killed him. 🖕

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I feel like i'm getting non-stop Rennala summons. I haven't leveled up or upgraded my weapons from RL32 / +5, but I'm barely getting any Margit or Godrick summons now, where I used to get them pretty frequently. Do spirit ashes matter too or something?

edit: I avoided getting any of the pre-leveled weapons so it's not that.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 6, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

something i'm really enjoying now that I'm getting into the lategame and have the big talismans: getting summoned as a cooperator and then having them get invaded. carrying on the proud pkk traditions of my uo days. :evilbuddy:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

Hmm. I don’t remember that. Or maybe don’t remember getting the key till AFTER I fought him?

Didn’t matter as I was trying to get the mending rune anyway.

you get the key after giving him a seedbed curse in the hold, then you go to his cell and use the key on his cell door, then if you leave without killing him right then and there he kills crab man and hangs out at the moat.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Your job as a sunbro, ultimately, is to do more damage to the boss healthbar than it gained by your arrival, which is pretty easy to do. You may be surprised at how many people appreciate you just getting them to 20% when they still have some healing left, and how many don't appreciate someone just showing up and no-hitting the boss in 20 seconds. THC is the better sunbro drug tho imho

There's been a lot of times when I felt like I really hosed it only to get immediately re-summoned by the same player. Performing badly can still make a fight really fun and chaotic.

showing up to radahn and casting rotten breath ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

GreatMrPopo posted:

I started a RL1 wretch character and holy poo poo I'm having tons of fun again with this game. It literally just becomes a game of don't get hit. I plowed through Margit and Godfrey with little issue, but you know who gave me a lot of trouble? Rennala, lol. So did the Erd tree guardian by the minor tree west of Raya Lucaria.

Any fellow R L Oner's playing through again? I am upgrading my weapons, but not obviously leveling up. I am currently using the Radagon soreseal (+3 to stats one), turtle shield just for the stam Regen, turtle talisman and I just go my 3rd talisman slot I think I put claw talisman in. Armor is fashion souls, dgaf about armor, but I just got the nepheli set, I forget it's name.

I've been having a lot of fun with my RL32 game with unupgraded weapons, might feel confident enough to try an RL1 with upgraded weapons next.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

verbal enema posted:

How do invasions work? My INT build got really boring and I realized I didn't activate a bunch of pools so now I'm a noble samurai going around helping people in Limgrave and WP and some of these invaders are loving lunatics

the summon range is restricted by rune level and highest weapon upgrade you've ever had, but not talismans or pouches, so you can do a low RL play to get all the good talismans and 4 pouches and get summoned by people you're much stronger than.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was thinking about switching back to straight swords and saw a thing about how the noble straight sword is supposed to be amazing, but I tried it and it's ok? Doesn't seem to do nearly as much as the uchigatana, is that just because the uchi is so much better or am I missing something?

Also the difficulty curve between Godfrey and Radagon is uhhh...

i've been using two of them for my rl32 game and I think the main advantage is the reach. they're really long and that makes it easy to get in a lot of hits, and the weapon art is great at stance breaking.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

dragon communism

folks ... is the golden order bourgeois?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

turns out malenia is really hard at level 32 :(

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the assassins also will not respawn, so you can leisurely kill them one at a time.

is there a good low level (32) strategy for malenia? I've gotten her down to about 1/3 health in phase two a few times by using shabriri's woe and black knife tiche, but eventually it gets killed and my +5 weapons barely scratch her outside bleed procs. I'm just too old and slow to no-hit her indefinitely.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dyz posted:

Malenia can *technically* still be rotted. Its still a good status effect even on her. Thats how I saw a RL1 player beat her.

Personally I think the dung eater puppet just dumpsters her.

doomrider7 posted:

If I recall, she's susceptible to deadly poison which you can easily proc and craft from perfumes. That might be worth looking into. Ditto for some frost jars.

thank you for the suggestions. poison and rot seem very hard to proc on her, but the frost pots are doing good work. I came up with what I think is a good strategy: black knife's blade of death aow. using it with shabriri's woe, I can hold aggro on malenia while black knife tiche uses her own blade of death, which lets me stay far enough out of range that I can actually dodge waterfowl dance. now I'm getting to phase 2 pretty consistently and think I just need to learn her moves and get used to the leaf wings blocking her visual cues, which should be considerably easier than learning to dodge waterfowl.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't even get down the sodding tree. I tried sneaking, i tried systematically sniping from a distance, I tried using one of the shockwave incantations to knock them off branches, but every time the long doots notice me I get one shot.

have you tried just sprinting down to the haligtree town site of grace? just hitting da bricks instead of fighting through has done a lot of good work for me this low level game. light load dodge rolls help.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can also just run past the next area up to loretta. i pretty much ran past everything.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:smaug:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yeah she's a lot of fun, I never really got tired of trying. the hardest thing about malenia for me was reliably dodging the third waterfowl dance spin. it took me way more tries than I'm willing to admit to understand why it always seems to go where you're going to be (she jumps over you). I ended up solving it by running away from the first spin, then rolling straight through the second spin, then waiting about one second, detargeting her, and rolling away from her manually.

edit: also a small lol that her hair is actually part of her helmet model, implying malenia is bald.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 17, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

It is also very satisfying to help others do Malenia.

It is also cool when one of those times is with LET ME SOLO HER

think I am well below summon range for malenia :3:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

almost done with this run. placidusax was a huge piece of poo poo, like malenia but way less fun. I had him down to 0% hp a couple of times using the same strategy I used for malenia, only for him to turn to mist and laserbreath me to death in one hit. :mad:

definitely enjoying getting summoned for low to mid level areas wearing full malenia armor though.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I find Placi to be really just about staying focused and not getting distracted or greedy for that extra hit. None of his attacks are difficult to dodge if you're paying attention, unlike some of malenias or swings with weird timings. On my last run where I fought him I spent like 5 or 6 attempts beating my head against the wall, leveled up a weapon to get pierce damage, and took my time instead of rushing, and then beat him on the next attempt.

I found the laser breath specifically very hard to dodge, and it would one shot me from full. then every failed attempt you had to do the stupid run with the lift and jumping down 20 floating rocks and ugh. he was easy enough on my first normal level and upgraded weapons run.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Bell Bearing Hunters

gently caress those guys

the trick with these guys is staying right next to them at all times. they won't ever throw the blade if you're in melee range, and their normal attacks are easy to dodge and punish.

CommonShore posted:

archetype: I hate fighting watchdogs.

major boss: maliketh

the trick with watchdogs is just baiting out the floating attacks. easy to dodge and punish.

the worst mob for me are the halberd crucible knights. the stabbing attacks tend to go over me and I can't figure out how to reliably parry them. very annoying. loretta 2 is also awful.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

verbal enema posted:

DLC boss: TWO bell bearing hunters in a room the size of the shaded castle room

gently caress you

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I didn't even really realize I was doing quests until fairly late. all the interactions with npcs seemed like disjointed and weird exposition or something.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

I think this can be solved easily with a Soul Memory type of system. Once you've applied upgrade mat on your weapon, it locks you permanently to that matchmaking tier even if you remove the upgrade.

this is already how it works

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

War Wizard posted:

I can't beat Maliketh without the blasphemous claw, and even then the only move I know I can land the parry with is the one where he jumps around 4 times shooting sword beams at me.

if I learned anything from my low level/upgrades game it's that you can solve just about anything with rotten breath, black knife tiche and blade of death.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

warika

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Juche Couture posted:

(New player) Are the grafted scions really hard or do I just suck? Decided to clear out Limgrave before I fight Godrick and holy hell the 2 on a bridge in Fringefolk Hero’s Grave. I beat the ulcerated tree spirit okay after many attempts with some patience/luck (was really close which was fun). But these I suck too much to parry, a single combo breaks my shield poise, and I only manage to roll out of one attack directly into another.

catching up on the thread, but you can solve this encounter by first hitting the far scion with a ranged attack and luring it back. for example, back to the flamethrower, and blocking at the edge of its range, or in the little nook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

WFD is such a weird move but it's the best place to see how well we learn how to play the game. It just hosed me up so bad the first hundred or so times I tried her and I eventually got past her with some luck.

The second time I fought her I realized that I could block through it, and then she'd heal some, but I'd be alive and I could just pancake her afterward.

And now I've fought her a bunch of times since then. Someone summoned me against her the other day while I was playing a low-armor sorcery character. My usual strategy is just to stay far away and ping at her with glintblades and/or whatever spell that my gear at the time of summon (then, Ranni's Dark Moon) to provide extra damage while not putting myself at risk, but she went into WFD from long range and I saw her turn to face me - I avoided it all with only running and one (light) roll, and it gave me the best dopamine hit any game has given me in ages.

It turns out that I've made some progress.

hell yeah. learning to dodge waterfowl dance is really rewarding.