Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't even get down the sodding tree. I tried sneaking, i tried systematically sniping from a distance, I tried using one of the shockwave incantations to knock them off branches, but every time the long doots notice me I get one shot.

have you tried just sprinting down to the haligtree town site of grace? just hitting da bricks instead of fighting through has done a lot of good work for me this low level game. light load dodge rolls help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't even get down the sodding tree. I tried sneaking, i tried systematically sniping from a distance, I tried using one of the shockwave incantations to knock them off branches, but every time the long doots notice me I get one shot.

I cheesed that albinauric spot up by mohg's and got vig & dex to 60, and am wearing tree sentinel, but I don't feel any more powerful. Couldn't even take out the bell bearing hunter.

I think it's the uchi? It just doesn't seem to stagger, and I feel like at this point in the very very late game, stagger is a pretty important part of any fight.

Found the catacombs at the bottom of the sewers but couldn't find the Big Weird Door or the merchants a bunch of youtube videos were on about.

Got Ranni's ending, but it sort of felt like giving up, bit of a hollow capstone to an otherwise incredible game. I noticed it dumped me back before the Radagon fight - does this mean I can try other endings if I defeat him again? If I find the bog weird door and go through it will it dump me back there as well?

Also does the godslayer sword have any particular effect on the elden blob?

Godslayer/Black Flame stuff doesn't have any particular effect on bosses, it's just that its gimmick - doing a flat % of healthbar damage in addition to regular damage - gets better and better the more HP you have.

As for the branches, you can just hoof it past everything and it's just the big bastard that has any hope of hitting you. Doots are pure holy damage so divine foritifcation and the sacred resist amulet +2 you can get in Mohgville will massively reduce how much that's roughing you up. The area beyond that is much more traditionally difficult.

Only one ending per playthrough alas. The big scary door is beyond sewer Mohg, if you've beaten him try a kinetic investigation of the altar at the end of the room

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can also just run past the next area up to loretta. i pretty much ran past everything.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I don’t think you can redo the ending unfortunately.

For Haligtree, yeah stack as much holy resist as you can (spell, talismans, etc) and make a break for it, focusing on dodge rolling. The long doots and mega doots are very easy to roll if you keep your cool.

In the sewer, it sounds like you’re looking in the wrong place for the big door. Did you fight a non-human boss down there? If not, keep looking. If yes, poke around his arena more.

If you want more guardbreak with the uchi go for jump R2s. It’s a really good move in general. If you want something that has more stagger on its normal attacks and still has the swooshy feel, try a curved greatsword. Dismounter is a good general choice. Morgott’s cursed sword can be really fun as well - it mostly scales off dex so you only need the minimum arc for it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you're playing uchi and thus have str/dex, get a greatbow set up and assassin's gambit. That combination basically makes the doot root section trivial.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:smaug:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

I beat her co op and and it was a ton of fun trying. I probably will never try to beat her solo but I also said the same thing about trying to beat her at all so who knows

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yeah she's a lot of fun, I never really got tired of trying. the hardest thing about malenia for me was reliably dodging the third waterfowl dance spin. it took me way more tries than I'm willing to admit to understand why it always seems to go where you're going to be (she jumps over you). I ended up solving it by running away from the first spin, then rolling straight through the second spin, then waiting about one second, detargeting her, and rolling away from her manually.

edit: also a small lol that her hair is actually part of her helmet model, implying malenia is bald.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 17, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hell yeah

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It is also very satisfying to help others do Malenia.

It is also cool when one of those times is with LET ME SOLO HER

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Party Boat posted:

Yeah the DMGS laser does ridiculous poise damage, the only issue is she hops away from it easily so you usually have to get her locked into an animation before swinging

The thing about DMGS is that thanks to its range, it lets you be extremely lenient with spacing on enemy recoveries. You still need to play properly, dodging their attacks. But during a big window, you can tap or charge an R2 and send out a poise breaking monstrosity at them.

A shorter ranged weapon you want to be far closer to actually punish their recoveries.

Benagain posted:

giant hunt is also very good against melania

Lion's Claw pancakes are even better because not only are you recovering on top of her, but you can charge an R2 on her wakeup.

You can do some very silly cheese strategies with a humble +24 Hammer. Start a Lion's Claw during Malenia's recovery, then charge a 2-handed R2 on her pancake wakeup. This can poise break her. So take the critical grab, and then do another Lion's Claw to pancake her out of her critical wakeup. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not completely sure if this works in 1.10 though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

UnbearablyBlight posted:

I don’t think you can redo the ending unfortunately.

I can't remember exactly where I made the save or backup, but I definitely got all the endings on my one character one way or the other. I may have had to refight the final boss for some of them? Can't remember, but I wanted to see all of em even if it was just a different cutscene slide and a few different dialogues.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I summoned Rogier to fight Margit but then sent him away because I realized I had runes to spend and now his summon sign isn't showing back up, is he just not available for that fight now? :ohdear:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

dialhforhero posted:

It is also very satisfying to help others do Malenia.

It is also cool when one of those times is with LET ME SOLO HER

think I am well below summon range for malenia :3:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

explosivo posted:

I summoned Rogier to fight Margit but then sent him away because I realized I had runes to spend and now his summon sign isn't showing back up, is he just not available for that fight now? :ohdear:

Reload the zone (e.g. teleport somewhere else and back). You can't summon the same NPC twice without reloading the area.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

explosivo posted:

You should be fine. Just warp somewhere else and come back. efb etc

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 17, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh that's a relief, thanks. I stopped playing after that so hadn't gotten to try that :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Benagain posted:

I beat her co op and and it was a ton of fun trying. I probably will never try to beat her solo but I also said the same thing about trying to beat her at all so who knows

Work your way up to it. There are like a dozen different things you can do to make endgame boss fights easier and harder. Ditch co-op but use phantoms. Use phantoms but not the totally broken ones like Mimic Tear or Tiche. Use frost pots to interrupt Waterfowl Dance or don't. Level up to 200+. Use one of the weapon arts that does ten billion poise damage and keep her stunlocked for the whole fight.

Although I do kind of wish the game had some way to repeat boss fights without starting an entirely new run.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Although I do kind of wish the game had some way to repeat boss fights without starting an entirely new run.

I know this is basically MP summons but yeah that would be cool.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Work your way up to it. There are like a dozen different things you can do to make endgame boss fights easier and harder. Ditch co-op but use phantoms. Use phantoms but not the totally broken ones like Mimic Tear or Tiche. Use frost pots to interrupt Waterfowl Dance or don't. Level up to 200+. Use one of the weapon arts that does ten billion poise damage and keep her stunlocked for the whole fight.

Bloodborne got this right almost entirely. You couldn't redo EVERY boss, but enough to keep things interesting. This was also why I stayed at levels 60 to 80 or so drat near forever just so that I could fight Radahn over and over again. Some massive storming the beaches of Normandy energy right there.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I miss bonfire ascetics a lot

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they're gonna add something for that in the dlc. i just know it. it's not going to make any sense though so maybe you have to pay a larval tear to reset a completely random boss in your zone of choice or something like that

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cavauro posted:

they're gonna add something for that in the dlc. i just know it. it's not going to make any sense though so maybe you have to pay a larval tear to reset a completely random boss in your zone of choice or something like that

oh boy cant wait to fight 300 more erdtree burial watchdogs

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I beat margot (with rogier!) first try this time around, it really is a lot easier coming into a new game of this after playing ~70 hours in the co-op mod with inflated HP values. I'm sure it's going to catch up to me soon but so far it's been real breezy. Really enjoying following along with that tldr checklist, there's so much NPC story stuff I missed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I have a few questions about mods. Will the affect my regular saves? Also, I watch a few youtubers that do LP's of souls games and I've been curious of some like the Convergence mods or mods that alter the game into an all but entire new game and what not. There was one where your starting class actually affected where you spawned in Elden Ring, but I can't remember the name as well as a DS3 mod that added entire new spell and sorcery elements same for Elden Ring and one that had some kind of huge statue not unlike the Valiant Gargoyles, but that rained holy attacks. Does anyone know which mods these were?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

You could eliminate all doubt about the integrity of your saves by manually backing them up and storing them in a different directory, or even on a different drive.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think i'm almost finished? I mean out of the things I was complaining about before, i just have:

- the dragon and evergaol up at the moonlight altar,
- Subterranean shunning grounds,

Except it's just dung eater in the shunning grounds, and I'm still not sure I want to let him out.

Apart from that, there's a dragon in Farum Azul who keeps flying off, and a wolf in the consecrated snowfield I just can't beat.

Malenia was a hell of a fight. I knew I wasn't going to get it, but I tried it solo a few times, then with a mimic tear, and then finally summoned for a few attempts. I did see a LET ME SOLO HER, but the maidenless swine was in full royal remains, nary a pot or thong in sight.

Incredible game though. The underwhelming ending sort of didn't matter really, they could have just flashed up a handwritten "Note: Ranni died on the way to her home planet the moon" and i'd still have had an amazing time playing it. Very very glad to have experienced it

I asked earlier but didn't really get an answer - Is there anywhere in game I can see what % i've done? Or do you tend to go by achievements? The PS dashboard says 100%, but that was before I even got to the haligtree, and I hadn't really started the shunning grounds or mohg's palace at that point either.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
There's something under the shunning grounds. Something deeper. Something hosed up.

Also that wolf isn't worth it and only guards a sending gate that goes nowhere special.
The only way to know if you missed anything is to pour through a wiki.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 18, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Lmao, I've been doing a Melina cosplay/meme build co-oping for Godfrey, and I got lazy and used the little effigy dude so I could wander.

Didn't even think about the consequences of doing near and far.

Some poor bastard summoned me for Malenia.

To my credit, I gave him 3 different buffs beforehand and got a few hits in lol.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

If you press and hold the d-pad direction it quickly jumps to the first thing in the list. I always put my most important spells first so I could quickly switch to it when I needed to by holding the d-pad direction down. Same with flasks/items.

I was today years old when I learned this, literal game changer. Thank you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have finally made my way to the tower by Stormveil to get my rune activated. Probably should have done this earlier :v:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's ok, you'll probably just forget to use a rune arc anyway

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mustang posted:

It's ok, you'll probably just forget to use a rune arc anyway

I'm saving onto these 27 rune arcs for just the right moment, you never know!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

explosivo posted:

I'm saving onto these 27 rune arcs for just the right moment, you never know!

I went through about that many to kill Malenia

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

if this is what the full body of the two fingers looks like

is the three fingers represented by the lucasarts logo...?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

almost done with this run. placidusax was a huge piece of poo poo, like malenia but way less fun. I had him down to 0% hp a couple of times using the same strategy I used for malenia, only for him to turn to mist and laserbreath me to death in one hit. :mad:

definitely enjoying getting summoned for low to mid level areas wearing full malenia armor though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zodium posted:

almost done with this run. placidusax was a huge piece of poo poo, like malenia but way less fun. I had him down to 0% hp a couple of times using the same strategy I used for malenia, only for him to turn to mist and laserbreath me to death in one hit. :mad:

definitely enjoying getting summoned for low to mid level areas wearing full malenia armor though.

I find Placi to be really just about staying focused and not getting distracted or greedy for that extra hit. None of his attacks are difficult to dodge if you're paying attention, unlike some of malenias or swings with weird timings. On my last run where I fought him I spent like 5 or 6 attempts beating my head against the wall, leveled up a weapon to get pierce damage, and took my time instead of rushing, and then beat him on the next attempt.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Placidducks really hates the Lion Greatbow. I have a habit of always thinking he'll be an easier fight than he actually is. However little else is as satisfying as breaking his stance out of the nuke.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Question for the thread: on any run, regardless of build, what is the one boss, or boss archetype, that fucks you up the most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fister Roboto posted:

Question for the thread: on any run, regardless of build, what is the one boss, or boss archetype, that fucks you up the most?

archetype: I hate fighting watchdogs.

major boss: maliketh