Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
everytime I die unexpectedly I will exclaim 'what in tarnation?!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Seeing some mention of Bonfire placing. I've not played Death Stranding, but I'm imagining some kind of asynchronous online to do with mapping out routes with Bonfires in otherwise impossible to traverse open world areas and getting unreasonably horny. They could possibly combine this with the procedural Chalice Dungeon type stuff for endgame play that isn't just naked Tarnish level 1, NG++++ no dodging speedruns.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy, my cynicism is a safe happy shell that protects me from disappointment.

edit: I'm mostly just grumpy they didn't take the chance to maybe try out a different plot line for once.

what's the plot line

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
just lol if u think the plot can be discerned without all character dialogue, art asset placement in the world and 239 item descriptions taken in their gesalt

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
hesitation is defeat

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I feel like parrying deemphasizes spacing a lot. I would like them to make it harder or modify it in some way from Souls games. BB's parrying was interesting.

Edit: Sekiro's was way too easy, the whole game was parry parry parry

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah, that's fair. i just wish parrying cost something so it didn't feel so much like a rhythm game

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

HampHamp posted:

I'm not the best at this game but I've been really trying to take Melania down with two big fat swords, this happened last night (spoilers for endgame optional boss)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQwCPsRB-gs

oh man, it didn't count?

surprised you didn't use the roll R1 though, it's so good against her.

crepeface posted:

i did it. killed malenia in my solo str build (level 121 dual greataxes) yesterday while using up my final rot cure item. :gbsmith: imo, the solo str playstyle is not supported well in this fight, i'm pretty sure they're intending you to cheese it out. in my test run with mimic and bleed/frost dual curved swords she melted really fast but i decided to reset the fight because i wanted to see if i could do it with big weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jw6Z_-w5yY

you can see me noob it up towards the end as i see her health get low, my heart was absolutely pounding and i forgot to actually show my equipment details beyond the name. i went with greataxes because i had one with bleed and another with 115 critical damage. i never did get to do a crit phase 2 though, even using the physic that adds posture damage. of all the big weapons, greatsword is probably the best because you also have the option of the rolling r1 letting you interrupt her combos for free damage but i didn't have the weight to dual wield the best ones and the equip burden physic would expire sometimes. i also had a lot of success with spears/greatspears but the powerstanced roll-L2 goes upwards and would constantly miss and i think the only one with roll-R1 thrust isn't compatible with bloodhound step.

bloodhound was definitely mvp for me. i never got a chance to master her phase 2 phantom attacks ability since spamming bloodhound was an easy way to get through it. also if you're having a problem with waterfowl dance, you want to unlock and roll/step through rather than away from her 2nd and 3rd AoEs. if you're really pro, you can do the 1st AoE the same way, but outranging it is safer. i think i only ever managed to pull off avoiding every hit once.

cool fight, but they could tune down the damage a bit and adjust the waterfowl dance start up speed. also, i really dislike "unnatural" flying attacks, wish they'd chill out of them, or at least pull back the camera/fix the dodge tracking.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

HampHamp posted:

Nope! Didn't count unfortunately. I'll give the rolling R1 a go, I'll take any help I can get! The main issues for me are the waterfowl thing (I can avoid it entirely if I'm far enough away and can sprint), and this little 2 hit combo she sometimes does when I attack her while she's just walking. I do that because the fight is very intense, and I don't want to drag it out too much; her follow ups are usually avoidable, but there's one very fast 1-2 hit that always catches me with the second one.

I've only had a few goes at phase 2, and waterfowl dance there is usually death. Also seems like she has a lot more followups to abilities which are punishable in phase 1. Also - when she does the big flower dive bomb thing, how do you avoid taking damage after the second roll? I always seem to take a little bit of damage there.

rolling away from her attacks and sticking out a thrust is a great way to halt her combos, give it a shot.

phase 2 is absolutely brutal especially when she floats and you have to pay really close attention to the glow or her arm position as to whether it's waterfowl, a swooping thrust, a downward slam or the phantom bullshit.

not really sure how I avoided damage from the rot blossom, I just roll a bunch of times. I usually am not too worried about chip damage, you'll rarely have a chance to heal with her aggression.

relearning which of her moves are punishable just takes practise, it can be handy to use summons just to get her to phase 2 to see her moveset.

in phase 1 she'll give you plenty of chance to rebuff, so try to do that right before she ticks to zero. also the rot blossom gives you plenty of time. you might also want to swap your mainland for a weapon you can modify with an ash of war (I relied on bloodhound step a fair bit).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lord_Magmar posted:

I've had some thoughts, firstly another potential DLC the giant lady at the end of Latenna's questline, the "sister" who will give the Albinaurics something in the Apostate Derelict. As of now there's nothing else going on there besides the Mausoleum and the nearby Death Rite Bird, but that sure sounds like it could be a DLC access location.

Secondly, thoughts on Melina I'm pretty sure she's the youngest child of Marika and Radagon, younger even than the twins Malenia and Miquella. Now, obviously Malenia's cursed Rot comes from her being an Empyrean open to Outer Gods, in her case one of Rot. Assumedly, Miquella's eternal youth is also the influence of an Outer God. However, I've had the thought that Melina has red hair, and a connection to the flames of the fire giants, or at least some sort of flames or ruin/destruction, and the red hair of Radagon is explicitly due to a curse from the fire giants.

Result, Melina like Malenia and Miquella is cursed by an outer god somehow, and hers is specifically the Fell Fire God of the Fire Giants. Which, if my earlier theories about Marika trying to manipulate everything are right, would make Melina absolutely vital to her plans.

i forgot about the fire god of the giants being another possible outer god. interestingly, if you go with the frenzied flame ending, she appears at the end and opens her left eye, which is blue. the fact that it's the opposite eye to ranni's that's closed and that "renna" is the one that gives you the spirit calling bell makes me think they are linked in some way.

i'd think she'd be radagon and rennala's daugher except melina says something about her mother's intentions regarding her, which makes me think marika.

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

this reminds me I have two of those omenkiller cleavers and 50/50 quality build; worth upgrading to play with before I respec to something else for fun?

i was considering farming a 2nd one to use in my solo strength malenia kill i posted on the last page. i saw something about how quality infusion sucks tho, i just used heavy with it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So close!! It was interesting watching this because we have very similar play styles. I think the big differences are in using two colossal great swords with bleed on them (the bleed damage really stacks up) and I have a great shield equipped that I switch to for waterfowl dance. Makes me way heavier, and she heals off the attack, but I take nearly no damage from it (most of the time).

The attack on having the most trouble with, is the one where she closes the game to do a couple swipes in quick succession. I haven’t found the best way to dodge it yet.

dodge towards and to left

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
nah you cant block poke with hallberds

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
idk what the argument is about but he's right about there being something between perfumer's ruins and Caria manor. if you put down some beacons and look south west from perfumer's ruins you can see indistinct building shapes using the eyeglass.

imo it's just to create the effect of being able to distantly see caria manor without having to be completely accurate in world geometry and save on memory/processing

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
dunno about the guardian, but if it's the cavalry in the north par of caelid, it drops a very good ash of war.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol yeah sure I'm a game designer and I'm gonna do some compression of world geography rather than putting in some fake buildings to give a sense of scale

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Slider posted:

Would be cool if Mohg's area had been even more obscure and filled with more threatening enemies. Tbh the birds and those giant skelly dudes are the only really difficult enemies. The recycled mountaintop enemies with scaled up numbers were harder for the most part

you are forgetting the most powerful foes in all the lands between... the bleed dogs

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I recently learned that you can use sleep pots on the godskin duo and it's insane how much it trivializes the fight.

I have been doing a lot of co-op to help people beat it and my method has been to enter the arena and throw 1-2 sleep pots at one of the duo and when they go down for a nap the host and I wail on the other one. My success rate has been nearly 100% since then, its awesome.

i heard about their weakness to sleep but i never got to try it because they die to something like 6-8 hits from bleed weapons. i saw a message about "try bleed" before i stepped into the boss arena and they just evaporated to the jump dual curved sword attack 4 hit combo. and i had close to baseline dex/arc stats

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

You can put all your weapons into storage then sort your inventory by order of acquisition and take them out in the order you want them in.

i've done this just so I can have commander's standard easily accessible for the buff

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

oh word, so when you get an ending you're just dropped back into the world?

yea you go to the round table grace and select "journey 2" when you're good and ready

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i restored a save to mess around with the omenkiller cleaver/great stars with prelate's charge AoW on melenia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZSFKLuj6TE

but i noticed that i sometimes wasn't getting the bleed effect so i tested and found out that it was only working when i had bloodflame, which reminded me of how "'fires's deadly sin" works with it. turns out any status effect (from grease/affinities/innate) don't work, only bleed from bloodflame works (because of the "body" fire).

so i got experimenting and landed on butcher's knife... godskin talisman and winged talisman doesn't work with prelate's charge but the life regen effect definitely does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNacqr75J1c

try it with the infinite fp flask! you can go for as long as your stamina bar will last

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

poe meater posted:

I don't know if there is any significant lore behind it but the sorcerers around the demihuman queen boss next to Azur drop dead when the queen dies. Maybe just game mechanics.

one of the merchants sells a note about how killing the leader will gently caress up demihumans. this happens in a bunch of places like the cave where you get the needle for boc

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Eimi posted:

This is my first FromSoft game and it's been a roller coaster of me trying to find a build I like aesthetically and that's actually power. I feel like I've run the whole gamut, started off with a Night and Flames build, swapped to dex/arcane for a bit of bleed and faster weapons, once I killed Radahn respecced to use his weapon for a bit, then went full sorcery, and now I'm trying out Moonveil. The faster weapons work better generally, but part of me wants to try NnF again but it just felt too awkwardly slow. And of course since I'm bad at this game I never know if it's me or my build sucking so I try another one to only some avail. Moonveil is fun but I don't entirely want to go full samurai aesthetically. About all I've learned is that sorcery is awkward fumbling through all your spells because of the controls, and that I'm not a big fan of how slow strength felt to play.

you're probably bad op :D

but yeah the magic UX sucks which is why i rarely ever do a INT playthrough these games and even when i do, it's usually more in vein of a "spellblade"

for big strength weapons, they're slow as poo poo and tbh the damage isn't really worth it imo (overall lower dps than fast weapons, higher safety requirements for higher weight cost). it's more about the stagger break from spamming jumping attacks. idk what you mean about feeling powerful, but no matter your build you can always get hosed up by a bunch of rats if you're careless, that's what these games are like.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Epic High Five posted:

You haven't really played Elden Ring unless you've got a screenshot of your Tarnished with 37 arrows that are each glowing and 10 feet long sticking directly out of their face

The good news is that one of the area rewards allows you to enjoy this to your benefit

I'd love that fight if it wasn't a dragon and didn't have the Shin Godzilla "pray for RNG" lasers. As it is as a str caveman it's one of my least favorite fights

i killed it as unga bunga too, switched to dual greatspears for it though. bloodhound step makes llate boss unga bunga way more manageable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA0huor3jBM

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lord_Magmar posted:

Got the super boss done in 6 attempts at level 134. Turns out taking a poo poo load of drugs (perfumes that enhance attack, the wondrous physics) and swinging a frost anchor and a burning bleeding great axe knife around is an excellent way to kill her.

hell yea.

i wanted to try iron flesh perfume + prelate's charge but i never got around to it. i wonder if you can still get scarlet rot when you're made of metal

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

96 spacejam posted:

I'm going to go duel wield with my current dex build and noticed a few streamers doing thing over the past few days. Duel weild axes with Beasts Roar in rh1, and the second ash varied a bit but typically Icerind Hatchet.

A few pages back I asked about axes and why I never see them and the consensus was "they aren't bad but they're inferior to 1h swords"

I'm thinking of going Scavenger's Curvered (Beast Roar) and Serpant-God with Warcry to buff and 5% hp back on kill. I have all the tailsmans to pump up the DPS as well.

From what I can tell, the rational for the axe is that Highlanders Axe gives +dmg to any roar as a passive. Is that +roar from Highlander worth it, or will the above suffice?

edit: I'll do some testing when I'm home tonight but hopefully some nerd did it before me

when I was loving around with Highlander's Axe:

crepeface posted:

when you use a barbaric roar, your charged heavy attacks become "savage combo attacks." this means it's affected by highland axe's +7.5% and roar medallion's +15%.

BUT, because it's a charged special attack it is also affected by godfry's icon's +15%. it's still a heavy attack, so it's also affected by axe talisman's 10%.

my basic testing of a single charged r2 with 53 str on the giant rot pod outside sellia crystal tunnel after buffing flame give me strength and commander's standard gave me 5438 damage. a bit hard to get off on a boss, but anything you can shackle or manage to posture break will get wrecked.

warcry and boosting your AR is fine but where dual curved swords really shine is for applying status effects since the jumping L1 hits 4 times (and the running L1 maybe?). i did a bunch of godskin duo co-op with 9 arc and still melted them extremely quickly with bleed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Anime Liker posted:

Since Malenia and the final 3 are bleed immune:

wat? malenia isn't bleed immune. she's is pretty weak to it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah, but i can understand that because he's quite resistant to it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the first difficulty barrier for soulsborne bosses is having to manage all your resources (estus/stamina/etc) while managing their offence.

the next is to find some space and time to muster some kind of offence while doing all that. having an additional target for the boss removes that.

it's fine if people just want to summon to help them get through bosses but it is a different challenge.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
also no one but the sweatiest dorks says you're playing it incorrectly. i see way more people being defensive about using summons than people seriously making GBS threads on them

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GloomMouse posted:

Elden Ring's real crime is that there are hardly any bloodborne style spell tools. ashes of war are great fun but if you really want to magic it up you have to use the dark souls catalyst and memory slot magic system. which is still kinda rear end, sorry mages. the actual number of spells you use on the regular is pretty small and i'd love an AoW-style system where you map L1, L2, Charge L2 to different spells. or something idk

yeah this is why i almost never play magic builds. or if i do they're the "hit people with blue swords" variety.

there are those reusable bells though. and some throwing knifes/pots that use FP. i've almost never used them though

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Raine posted:

rats (even giant ones) will only attack after being struck if you have the beast-repellant torch. this also applies to wolves and basilisks

unrelated: the antspur rapier has a higher scarlet rot buildup if you imbue it with frost (for some reason). pretty sure this is a glitch or possibly a broken tooltip

it says scarlet rot (0) for me if I put frost on it?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Steve Yun posted:

To escape the Greater Will’s influence over your PS5 you have to burn your disc

no you idiot he has to shatter the disc

it was right there

it's even a ring

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
no one's saying it's not a valid souls experience. breaking the game is part of the fun. but it's a different kind of fun to doing a hitless sl1 run. no summons is a less extreme version of that and I don't get why people are so irritated by people celebrating their solo kills.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How does weapon art scaling work? Is it just based off the damage of the weapon?

Also, do player buff incants, like health regen or damage reduction, scale like weapon buffs? Or are they fixed? If I'm at 10 fth is it worth me popping the magic resist spell for example?

mostly off weapon upgrade level and whatever stats your weapon scales with:

quote:

(Skill Base Damage * (1 + Level Modifier*Weapon Level)) + (Stat Scaling)

So it's entirely like weapon scaling. Note that neither weapon base damage nor weapon AR have any effect on skill damage. Skills have their own built-in base damage that is unaffected by the weapon.

The damage increase per weapon level appears to be linear and is 10% of base damage (for smithing stone weapons), so at +25, you can expect the skill to do 3.5x base damage. You'll never get this to be exact since this assumes you have 0 stats, so you'll always have more damage from scaling.

The base damage is then additive with damage from scaling. The scaling that the skills use is exactly the same as whatever weapon it's on. If your weapon has an A in dex scaling, then so does your skill, for example. If your weapon has no int scaling, then so does the skill, regardless of the base affinity of the skill.

afiak buffs aren't affected by stats at all.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

emdash posted:

Just be very, very glad that From found a way of adding a difficulty slider without adding a difficulty slider. If not for summon ashes, the online discourse about this game would be absolute brain poison

they already had one, it's called levelling up :smug:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what

edit:

boop the snoot posted:

People are annoyed when their accomplishments are met with what is essentially “but I did it better.”

did this actually happen

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

boop the snoot posted:

Here’s a couple of examples:

Person 1: “I beat this boss with summons.”
Person 2: “Cool! I did it without summons!”

and

People have said things like “you can enjoy it how you want but I think it trivializes encounters.”

These types of backhanded compliments get pretty old. People like to celebrate how good they are at the game at other peoples’ expenses.

crepeface posted:

did this actually happen

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
maybe dont act like a lil baby then

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im gonna be extra condescending to people who post about their kills now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Phenotype posted:

I've never gotten into a Souls game before and I'm not super good at it, so I don't mind cheesing bosses here and there, but I've definitely felt like I've "cheated" myself on certain fights by using summons. It's a very natural feeling. I'll fight a boss a few times without Spirit Ashes, get in a few good runs, and I get the feeling that I could definitely beat this boss myself if I spend a little more time on them, it's a tough fight but I just need to learn their combos a little better or whatever... and then I get frustrated or I run out of time to play, and I pull out a Mimic or Oleg or the five Mausoleum Knights (lol) and it turns what was a difficult but beatable challenge into a roflstomp.

It really does function as an "easy" mode that you can turn on, at least if you go with one of the better unique ashes. The Lichdragon Fortissax fight was really unsatisfying because of this -- I'd fought him a half-dozen times and was getting him down below half health, but then I realized it was almost 1am on a worknight. And since I really really wanted to see the payoff before bed, I brought out the Mimic, who beat the dragon to death almost all by himself on the first try, while I was having the single worst, clumsiest, attack-whiffing fight of my life, and when the dragon died I felt like I'd contributed basically nothing.

i think this is right. when I got sick of dying to malenia with dual colossal weapons, I tried mimic tear with dual bleed/frost curved swords and it was so unsatisfying that i quit that game session before i killed her. i ended up having experiment and tweaking my loadout, really playing with some of the other tools that get overshadowed by how good summons are.

i knew that i was trying to fight her like a tightly tuned sekiro boss rather than an elden ring boss so any frustration i had was my own fault, but i still understand people complaining because it could be a classic dueling-type boss with some tweaks without screwing over the more casual players.

p.s. you will get some surrogate satisfaction from helping another player with the boss you cheesed. or at least i did.