Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no prob, it's not a super useful indicator since there's only like 3 population stages it can show, but you can potentially use it to get some fights in new locations to mix it up a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I listened to the Joseph Anderson video on my drive home and I agree with some of his criticisms but his whole thing about 'the game encourages trading' is just ?????? to me. I think the only boss I went with the trade strategy against was Morgott.

He makes the point that a bunch of bosses have a unavoidable fast attacks, but doesn't mention that the majority of these are fast little shoves that do barely any damage. The only attack that felt super bullshit unavoidable to me was the one elden beast thing and it only does that once. Yeah Elden beast isn't a very cool fight and probably shouldn't be the final boss when so many other cooler fights are right there, but his whole thing about it being meant for torrent is just bizarre. If anything the elden beast fight sucks because aside from it's one ultra-bullshit attack it's way easier than horah loux or radagon.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

The Gripper posted:

Just got around to watching the conclusion of Joseph Anderson's review and I agree with a lot of what he's said individually but he's really salty about the game not being exactly what he wanted isn't he? I wasn't a huge fan of the last couple of bosses with my build and after switching it up had a lot of fun, but Joseph just hates that he had to switch it up at all apparently.

Then he follows that train wreck of an argument up by going whole hog with Moonveil, the cheesiest sorceries, and summons on a new run and his complaint then is that everything is too easy? I mean gently caress man do you not think to maybe try something less extreme instead of complaining about playstyles at the two ends of the scale? I don't even know what his point was since neither build was forced on him, he made that choice himself by ragequtting his original build when the anger overwhelmed him instead of looking at other tweaks.

He even found a good middle-ground with a heavy weapon and jump attacks but made sure to twist the knife on how bad jump attacks are because you can't see the enemies stagger bar(???) even though they objectively rule and are a great addition to the game. Jumping to dodge is a bit wonky I'll admit, but jump attacks are generally just free damage and stagger if you'd otherwise have to dodge anyway.

I won't argue balance issues in the late-game if you're in that dark souls no-summons purist mindset, or even if you're just adamant that you can make the strategy/build you've used for the rest of the game work until the end credits to an extent, but you can't review a game like this and ignore that tools exist to shift fights in your favor in your conclusion. I particularly liked the "game's too hard, are they trying to make each souls game harder???" comment later being followed by the "game's too easy, hopefully Fromsofts other games keep it real!!!" comment (poorly paraphrased).

It honestly felt like he used the last quarter of the review (and his second playthrough) to justify his frustration and that's a kinda lovely thing to do in a review that millions of people will see.

Yeah in THE DISCOURSE it sees like the only two ways to play the game - no summons slappers only or mimic tear moonveil. Do people realize there are literally four thousand summons in this game that don't trivialize anything? They give you a breather for a while and then inevitably get hosed up when poo poo gets real. You can use them. It might be more fun than either extreme.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finally at Fire Giant and wow this is as unfun and painful as advertised. What a lovely fight against the camera.

e: Beat it but whew what a stinker.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 8, 2022

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

The Gripper posted:

Just got around to watching the conclusion of Joseph Anderson's review and I agree with a lot of what he's said individually but he's really salty about the game not being exactly what he wanted isn't he? I wasn't a huge fan of the last couple of bosses with my build and after switching it up had a lot of fun, but Joseph just hates that he had to switch it up at all apparently.

Then he follows that train wreck of an argument up by going whole hog with Moonveil, the cheesiest sorceries, and summons on a new run and his complaint then is that everything is too easy? I mean gently caress man do you not think to maybe try something less extreme instead of complaining about playstyles at the two ends of the scale? I don't even know what his point was since neither build was forced on him, he made that choice himself by ragequtting his original build when the anger overwhelmed him instead of looking at other tweaks.

He even found a good middle-ground with a heavy weapon and jump attacks but made sure to twist the knife on how bad jump attacks are because you can't see the enemies stagger bar(???) even though they objectively rule and are a great addition to the game. Jumping to dodge is a bit wonky I'll admit, but jump attacks are generally just free damage and stagger if you'd otherwise have to dodge anyway.

I won't argue balance issues in the late-game if you're in that dark souls no-summons purist mindset, or even if you're just adamant that you can make the strategy/build you've used for the rest of the game work until the end credits to an extent, but you can't review a game like this and ignore that tools exist to shift fights in your favor in your conclusion. I particularly liked the "game's too hard, are they trying to make each souls game harder???" comment later being followed by the "game's too easy, hopefully Fromsofts other games keep it real!!!" comment (poorly paraphrased).

It honestly felt like he used the last quarter of the review (and his second playthrough) to justify his frustration and that's a kinda lovely thing to do in a review that millions of people will see.

I haven’t watched the whole video, but I think I can gather the main thrust of his point from this post.

I kind of agree with him. Elden Ring is amazing but I also hope the next From game is something like Sekiro or a “true” Dark Souls with very little in the way of difficulty modulation. Invasions into single player, no summons, nerfs to all the OP poo poo.

Show everyone that is new to the series what they’ve been missing out on. Flip the script entirely.

I hope their next game is the hardest they’ve ever made

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm playing moonveil atm and it's genuinely less no skill mode than bleed build, I'm fully expecting to get bodied once I get to Altus proper (already ran away from a mariner fight but my moonveil is only +5 or so)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Is there any data on how much poise is added to skills? For instance Wild Strikes definitely adds quite a bit but idk how much. Poise talisman+wildstrikes means Malenia will just constantly clip into your barrage and get owned(phase 1 at least, and you still can't be mindless about it) but I don't have exact values.

Wild Strikes as a whole is fun as hell. Not as busted as some other things but there's quite a few things in the game that have no answer to the non stop assault.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

these days moonveil isn't so big of a deal, especially in pvp. You'll still see it everywhere because it's still pretty good and still a laser katana which would make it popular even if it was garbage, but all the hub-bub about it was absolutely just a product of being the game's first real flavor-of-the-month. I complained about it a bit in the beginning even, before getting more time with it and all of its flaws started to become way more obvious.

Honestly even stuff like double-scavenger bleed scimitars or rivers of blood and such wouldn't be that bad if the bleed status itself wasn't bugged so that you could have the proc stacking on you, even if you dodge iframe through the actual hit. They'd still be very good though, since bleed is very good even not counting that, but the supremacy of bleed builds would be way less apparent if they fixed that.

also I hope the next patch finishes up the questlines they didn't have time to complete. There's still stuff to do with Patches and Tanith and Jar Bairn could have an open ending like Rya but it really feels like they could also do more with him.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 8, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

There should be waypoints and a journal. Also clippie the paper clip giving you productivity tips. And a Pokédex.

you're right, those are exactly the same as the thing i mentioned

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Elden Ring is amazing and most complaints about bosses is just people having growing pains trying to unlearn everything that worked in previous games.

Elden Beast is still rear end.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm glad they unnerfed radahn but still left some of the nerfs that made a little sense. His damage and health seem to be back to normal but his weird gigantic hitboxes and double-hit comets are toned down.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm glad they unnerfed radahn but still left some of the nerfs that made a little sense. His damage and health seem to be back to normal but his weird gigantic hitboxes and double-hit comets are toned down.

it turns out that his health was never nerfed to begin with. data miners have found it to be the same value across all patches. he just died faster when he was less threatening and killed the npcs more slowly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That sounds right. I'm not sure I fought him at all during his nerfed period, spent all that time using wrong-warps to skip caelid altogether and go right into mimic tear and helping my boys clear the game with coop, but I just fought him a few hours ago and he was still wild as hell.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 8, 2022

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah its extremely dumb and i can only assume that its not as bad in the japanese.

The Japanese word for glovewort is "suzuran", so the whole unnecessary alliterative aspect is gone at least. The meanings of the words are still pretty much the same, it just doesn't look like an unreadable mess. It still retains the idiotic numbering scheme, like all upgrade materials.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

god I hate those. it took me a while (since I didn't upgrade any of my poo poo until like, mid-way through stormveil castle lol) to realize no, I wasn't getting tons of upgrade materials, I was getting a 3, two 2s, a 4, etc. and they were useless to me until I got more lol

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
following speedrun progression is such a treat. this is absurd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tphe_oFKn4
I was hooked as soon as they managed to skip walking down the very first flight of stairs, but by two and a half minutes in they're busting out the metronome

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think the no-hit run is down to about 2:50:something

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
eeeeh hehhehehe elden ring is most def the most broken souls title.

Any% world record sitting at 14:08 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tphe_oFKn4

Edit: christ just beaten.

anyhow, the zip glitch is crazy.

double edit: just finished the vid... been out of the loop, they figured out a skip for radagon/beast

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 8, 2022

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

VROOM VROOM posted:

following speedrun progression is such a treat. this is absurd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tphe_oFKn4
I was hooked as soon as they managed to skip walking down the very first flight of stairs, but by two and a half minutes in they're busting out the metronome
Ha, I was watching this guy specifically on twitch yesterday failing for about an hour to get that last zip to even trigger consistently, thinking that the setup he was using was broken when it was just bad timing. His chat was telling him to go to bed and he was raging at them. Good to see he finally got it!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat melania! I used rune arcs and rivers of blood and mimic tear but still counts I don’t care what anyone says

Unfortunately don’t have much to do on the optional side of things now, pretty much time to do Farum and finish up. Goodbye goty

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Anime Liker posted:

Since Malenia and the final 3 are bleed immune:

If you did the meme bleed build switch your talismans to damage negation / extra FP/HP whatever you want instead of the bleed talismans because they're worthless against the big 4.

Next, take your bleed weapons (two katanas or two twinblades) and apply blood ashes with poison or occult affinity, or the rare occult ashes like bloodflame tornado.

A blood poison nagakiba and a blood occult Uchigatana won't bleed the big 4, but you'll still absolutely shithouse them with the Occult (nega-holy) or poison buffs being added to the fast moveset you're already used to.

If you have the crow armor / crow talisman combo you've already been using then Malenia and Elden Beast won't stand a loving chance.

4 holy bosses can't do poo poo against occult godkiller jumping slashes.

Nice thanks! Was considering respeccing but was hoping I didn’t have to. I do have a nice little +23 antspur rapier I’ve been switching around as I encounter stuff immune to rot and blood too. (The black knife fight that unlocks tische is immune to everything but frost)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

96 spacejam posted:

I'm going to go duel wield with my current dex build and noticed a few streamers doing thing over the past few days. Duel weild axes with Beasts Roar in rh1, and the second ash varied a bit but typically Icerind Hatchet.

A few pages back I asked about axes and why I never see them and the consensus was "they aren't bad but they're inferior to 1h swords"

I'm thinking of going Scavenger's Curvered (Beast Roar) and Serpant-God with Warcry to buff and 5% hp back on kill. I have all the tailsmans to pump up the DPS as well.

From what I can tell, the rational for the axe is that Highlanders Axe gives +dmg to any roar as a passive. Is that +roar from Highlander worth it, or will the above suffice?

edit: I'll do some testing when I'm home tonight but hopefully some nerd did it before me

when I was loving around with Highlander's Axe:

crepeface posted:

when you use a barbaric roar, your charged heavy attacks become "savage combo attacks." this means it's affected by highland axe's +7.5% and roar medallion's +15%.

BUT, because it's a charged special attack it is also affected by godfry's icon's +15%. it's still a heavy attack, so it's also affected by axe talisman's 10%.

my basic testing of a single charged r2 with 53 str on the giant rot pod outside sellia crystal tunnel after buffing flame give me strength and commander's standard gave me 5438 damage. a bit hard to get off on a boss, but anything you can shackle or manage to posture break will get wrecked.

warcry and boosting your AR is fine but where dual curved swords really shine is for applying status effects since the jumping L1 hits 4 times (and the running L1 maybe?). i did a bunch of godskin duo co-op with 9 arc and still melted them extremely quickly with bleed.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You'd think with how often Malenia tells people her name they wouldn't misspell it so much.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Anime Liker posted:

Since Malenia and the final 3 are bleed immune:

wat? malenia isn't bleed immune. she's is pretty weak to it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

crepeface posted:

wat? malenia isn't bleed immune. she's is pretty weak to it

Godfrey isn't either

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah, but i can understand that because he's quite resistant to it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Gripper posted:

i don't think the game is perfect but so many of the complaints about difficulty and damage trading or unfair hitboxes or whatever just comes down to people not wanting to learn how to play a fromsoft game differently from how they play their favourite one. it's like this every time. even if you play no ashes, no magic, purist melee build you still have to approach the game differently than the other games. and i think becoming good at one fromsoft game and then being poo poo at their next one makes people go a bit batty from bitterness and a feeling of helplessness.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I wonder where this feeling comes from that you're somehow playing the game "incorrectly" if you e.g. use spirit ash summons (and substitute whatever negative word you feel like there if "incorrectly" doesn't sound right). People don't seem to apply that logic to other games. Nobody plays Final Fantasy and goes "I'm never going to cast Firaga", or at least if they do they acknowledge they're not playing the game the way the developer expected you to and that some challenges are going to be more difficult to deal with. And it's not like spirit ashes are some unanticipated and overpowered feature like barrelmancy in DOS or anything, the game is very clearly signaling that this is a tool everyone can use. Like I understand that people may not find some particular tool in the toolbox "fun" or whatever, that's subjective; and I get that people want to challenge themselves through restricting their access to weapons or magic. But ignoring a large chunk of the toolbox available to you and expecting the difficulty level to remain as intended by the developers seems unreasonable. That was never part of the deal. And the negative fun you're experiencing bashing your head against a boss is almost certainly worse than whatever negative fun you'd experience just summoning three wolves to help out.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 8, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a stupid balancing choice though, even a weak spirit presents an alternative target for enemies and turns even major boss encounters into mostly brainless tank & spank fights. They could have balanced the fights around the assumption there's no spirits in play, kept the spirits as an option anyway and made 1v1s just a little less excruciating without ruining anything for other players

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I wonder where this feeling comes from that you're somehow playing the game "incorrectly" if you e.g. use spirit ash summons (and substitute whatever negative word you feel like there if "incorrectly" doesn't sound right). People don't seem to apply that logic to other games. Nobody plays Final Fantasy and goes "I'm never going to cast Firaga", or at least if they do they acknowledge they're not playing the game the way the developer expected you to and that some challenges are going to be more difficult to deal with. And it's not like spirit ashes are some unanticipated and overpowered feature like barrelmancy in DOS or anything, the game is very clearly signaling that this is a tool everyone can use. Like I understand that people may not find some particular tool in the toolbox "fun" or whatever, that's subjective; and I get that people want to challenge themselves through restricting their access to weapons or magic. But ignoring a large chunk of the toolbox available to you and expecting the difficulty level to remain as intended by the developers seems unreasonable. That was never part of the deal. And the negative fun you're experiencing bashing your head against a boss is almost certainly worse than whatever negative fun you'd experience just summoning three wolves to help out.

A lot of it probably comes from old Demon's souls where someone would start as melee, and have a rough as gently caress time, while another would've picked magic from the beginning and had considerably less trouble. As the games got more complex with more ways to play, that sort of "my arduous gamer journey makes me better" has drifted to anything that isn't two handing a sword/no buffs/no ranged/no summons/no ashes/no L2/no consumables/no shield/SL1 isn't playing the game "THE REAL WAY".

That said, I fought the first half of the final boss with a sword and quickstep only because I just wanted to, and also to prolong the time before the game ended. There were definitely cases where I would instinctively summon my mimic going through a fog wall for the first time and killing a boss before I even saw it's name, which drained a lot of fun out of it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

i think the game is more fun when you play without all that stuff and it's not like the game is so hard that you have to be a gamer god to beat it without them. you can beat anything in this game 1v1. just takes longer and needs you to learn the fight a lot more intimately.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Foul Fowl posted:

i think the game is more fun when you play without all that stuff and it's not like the game is so hard that you have to be a gamer god to beat it without them. you can beat anything in this game 1v1. just takes longer and needs you to learn the fight a lot more intimately.

That's fine though, choosing to limit what you use is not strange if that's what you enjoy. The strangeness comes when people then find themselves up against a boss they can't beat with their restricted toolset, and react to this as if it was some kind of failure on the part of From to balance their game correctly.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the first difficulty barrier for soulsborne bosses is having to manage all your resources (estus/stamina/etc) while managing their offence.

the next is to find some space and time to muster some kind of offence while doing all that. having an additional target for the boss removes that.

it's fine if people just want to summon to help them get through bosses but it is a different challenge.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Been looking through regular smithing stone weapons to try and find what scales the best and Omen Cleaver? amazing scaling with split damage types especially for it's rather low 19/16 str/dex requirements, great vehicle for glint pebble spam or other split damage types.

Vulgar Militia Saw is also rather underrated, does more damage then most of the halberd class weapons while being the only one with innate bleed and the lowest stat requirements of the weapon type at 15/13.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
also no one but the sweatiest dorks says you're playing it incorrectly. i see way more people being defensive about using summons than people seriously making GBS threads on them

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

yeah some of the self imposed restrictions people choose feels very "fire attacks only while in a volcano dungeon" that's why a theme build that allows you to utilize all/most of the systems, but maybe not the *best* ones, seems the way to go. if something is OP you can just not use that one, you don't have to throw out everything!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Dignity posted:

It's a stupid balancing choice though, even a weak spirit presents an alternative target for enemies and turns even major boss encounters into mostly brainless tank & spank fights. They could have balanced the fights around the assumption there's no spirits in play, kept the spirits as an option anyway and made 1v1s just a little less excruciating without ruining anything for other players

which 1v1s did you find excruciating? not @ing u, just curious

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Elden Ring's real crime is that there are hardly any bloodborne style spell tools. ashes of war are great fun but if you really want to magic it up you have to use the dark souls catalyst and memory slot magic system. which is still kinda rear end, sorry mages. the actual number of spells you use on the regular is pretty small and i'd love an AoW-style system where you map L1, L2, Charge L2 to different spells. or something idk

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, magic is in a pretty weird place where it's actually kind of strong as a gameplay option... but all of that strength is condensed into a small handful of spells and most offensive spells are just not worth using in any capacity. But that's good (?), because the spell selection UI remains trash and having to actually cycle between spells regularly would suck. From actually seem to somewhat understand that the input system has problems with the addition of the Triangle+DPad quick pouch, they just need to take a few more steps and ditch the old system entirely and use something like that for both spells and items instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GloomMouse posted:

Elden Ring's real crime is that there are hardly any bloodborne style spell tools. ashes of war are great fun but if you really want to magic it up you have to use the dark souls catalyst and memory slot magic system. which is still kinda rear end, sorry mages. the actual number of spells you use on the regular is pretty small and i'd love an AoW-style system where you map L1, L2, Charge L2 to different spells. or something idk

yeah this is why i almost never play magic builds. or if i do they're the "hit people with blue swords" variety.

there are those reusable bells though. and some throwing knifes/pots that use FP. i've almost never used them though