Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Is the digital soundtrack with the preorder going to be available for download outside of my PS4? I really like From game soundtracks and would buy that option if I could get the music off my console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I read in the goon tips post of the OP that upgrade materials are not rare, but are they capped in a single game run or will I eventually be able to farm/buy smithing materials? Just worried that I might lock myself out of upgrading better weapons and being stuck using a small pool that I've found and upgraded from the start.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I've just reached Raya Lucaria, and I'm mostly playing blind without spoilers, but there are two gates and I have one key. It looks like the southern gate is the one the game wants me to go through- the eastern gate leads to a bridge that has big chunks missing and I don't think I can even get to the city that way. I'm paranoid about using the key accidentally to open up a bridge I can't cross, so before I even examine either gate, is it possible to enter by either gate?

Also, I'm trying to figure out coop- I never did multiplayer in any previous Souls game so I don't understand the system. I've used the finger to write a summons sign and the golden tree thing to push my summons sign to nearby pools. Do I need to actively do anything else to get summoned? Or will I just get pulled in when someone chooses my summons sign?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

IronicDongz posted:

after like 100 cases of this I wonder if it's actually sincerely more likely to beat something after complaining about it online

like you've vented and so now you're less tilted or whatever

Well at the very least you've put the controller down, stepped away and are taking a break.

I haven't finished too many bosses yet- the only Great Runes I've got are Godrick's and Rennala's- but I'm getting articles in my feed that talk about how hard the bosses are in this game. If I platinumed Sekiro and Bloodborne and finished all bosses in Dark Souls 3 except for the last one of the DLC, where could I expect this game to fall out in terms of the end bosses, harder, comparable, or easier than those other games?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

buffalo all day posted:

if you dont mind using the tools the game gives you it will be easier (other than maybe the optional super boss), if you insist on doing no ash no summons 1v1 final destination it will probably be harder

I'm too old to do any of those insane reflex challenges.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mescal posted:

i've been wandering for a day. vaguely, where should i go after the academy? i have half the lift key and i've accepted rani's dumb quest

You could go to caelid or there's a route that skips the lift.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I've made it to Mountaintops of the Giants and this region is pretty dull and uninteresting for me, I've been using the Bloodhound curved sword and a mix of katanas paired with a shield mostly, but now that I'm bored I might want to play around with other options like whips or greatswords or something.

Can anyone explain dual-wielding briefly? I understand powerstancing is when you use 2 of the same class of weapon, and it gives you some benefits, but what's the play style like when you don't use a shield? Is the stress on not getting hit at all since you can't block with a shield?

Also, if I wanted to put my summons down to help people with bosses, how does that work with my level- if I'm north of level 100, can I get summoned to help people with Godrick or some other early game boss or have I aged out of that zone for summoning?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

bike tory posted:

Yeah powerstancing you'll have to dodge, jump and otherwise rely a lot more on mobility. L1 is your main powerstance attack, including for jump attacks. R1/R2 still just attack with the right hand weapon. Put any weapon art you want on your right hand weapon and switch to 2handing it to use that weapon art.

Ok thanks, pretty much what I thought then.

bike tory posted:

For summoning IIRC it scales you regardless of your level?

Do you have to do anything to get summoned beyond sending your summoning sign? I thought I used the correct item, and I periodically got a message pop up, but never actually got summoned into someone else's game.

And is there any way to keep Mohg from healing between phases 1 and 2? I've tried using the one Physick ingredient but that just seems to keep me from being hurt.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
How do the endings in this game work, do you get to pick when the time comes from the ones which you've unlocked by finishing different character quests?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
So I've finished my first run through, something north of 150 hours doing as much as I possibly could. I've got three endings I can unlock with the save trick, but I'll have to do Dung Eater's ending, Goldmask's ending, and the frenzied flame on another run through.

Question: is the frenzied flame ending impossible to get after beating elden beast? Like could I play the other two endings, then go back and work my way to the third flame, and then return and play that ending?

I'm duplicating the remembrances of the bosses that I don't want to fight/may not be able to beat again on subsequent playthroughs, like malenia and the Placidusax dragon.

I don't know what to run on NG+ though, I'm a little exhausted. I ran melee with katana bleeds, ended up maining Rivers of Blood in the last quarter of the game. Any recommendations on fun builds? I started the game with an incantation build- the astrologer class I think?- but switched because I was finding casting to be not so fun, but I wouldn't mind running a caster if there was a fun option- i really liked pyromancer in DS3.

I assume I would respec before starting NG+, right?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I popped back into DS3 and played the first hour, and man it's hard going back after Sekiro/Elden Ring. Everything just feels janky and dated, even though the game isn't really that old.

When I first played DS3 I switched to casting because I didn't like the melee combat, then did the opposite with Elden Ring, and after beating that with a melee build and generally feeling better about melee combat, I thought I might be able to play it better in DS3. But it's so painful not being able to jump and crouch.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

VictualSquid posted:

Day9 has very inconsistent quality in his streams.
But this is probably the best elden ring video ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ep2mskOWb4

What armor is this guy wearing at the start of the video? I don't think I've found that helmet yet.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Two questions.

What was the deal with the story that turtle pope tells about Radagon and the statue? I don't follow lore so I have no idea what he was talking about.

What's the deal with the candlesticks- the first one I found was in the Mistwood forest if you're following the path south from the church where you get the Physick flask.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Raine posted:

i have over 400 hours and just found out the other day that you can simply jump down to the duo inquisitors area instead of having to be vore-teleported

Ok, how? This is news to me too after 200+ hours.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

a kitten posted:

I believe you need to get the frenzied flame before you fight the last boss so your backup would need to be earlier

I'm pretty sure that you can still go back down in the sewers and lock in the ending even after killing Elden Beast. I'm 90% sure I did that myself to save scum the final ending after being worried I'd need to do another full run.

a kitten posted:

e: ff locks you out of all the others so as soon as you kill the boss it plays

It didn't automatically play for me, I still had to select the frenzied flame ending at Marika's body. Maybe because I went back and got it after killing Elden Beast?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

redreader posted:

Got to the godskin duo without expecting them, and like 3 hp flasks left. Summoned my mimic tear, golden vow, took out the long horn, doot doot doot doot doot, they both died, we waited for them to respawn, doot doot. I killed them first try with about 30 hp left. That dragon before then also went down first try to the mighty doot.

Also the fire giant was a lot tougher with Alexander summoned. Without him, mimic tear and I went doot a lot and he died!

I only have like 33 faith. This thing must be bonkers at like 50 faith. I use the envoy crown and have my flask equipped with +holy damage. I am going to come back to Malenia later and doot her to death with some friends.

What's the best place to farm those bubble weapons? I'm kinda feeling like grabbing them before NG+.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Vagabong posted:

It kinda feels like we're missing half a quest with D. If you don't hand him the death knife he just hangs out in the hold all game, not really doing much, and I have no clue what his twin is doing naked in Siofra, but he just rocks up naked, or who that corpse is that he talks to in the first encounter.

My issue with this quest was that it never occurred to me that he was the one that should receive the knife, since he's like 20 feet away. Checking the roundtable hold for the original owner didn't cross my mind, I figured I had to go out into the world, so I hung onto that thing forever. I know that's on me and not the game, it just seemed so trivial after the fact that all you do is go into the next room, like if there was a quest to pass someone the salt and pepper at dinner.

genericnick posted:

All this Souls talk makes me want to replay them, but then I remember there's no real jumping.

I tried playing DS3 the other week and it feels so primitive, it just wasn't enjoyable without the movement in the later games. I remember liking DS3 a lot when I first beat it but now it just feels terrible.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Vermain posted:

if you want a good spot to farm that isn't The Bird: the temple in the far north of dragonbarrow (which you can access easily via a portal hidden just to the north of the third church of marika) has a bunch of vulgar militia guys wandering around it who are comically weak to getting stunlocked with regular attacks and/or backstabbed if you're willing to take the time, and they drop something like 7-8k runes per kill, so you can pretty trivially get all the runes you need for the early game there

I've been doing this run a bit in a new game, but those guys only drop 1k runes each. In a fresh game it's fine for farming until level 50 or so and then it gets tedious.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Just popping into this thread for the first time in over a year; what's the long doot?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm gonna preorder the DLC on PS5. Is there any way to get the digital soundtrack off as files, or is it only something you can play through an app on the playstation? I like the music in these games and would pony up for that edition but only if I can move the music to my phone.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

No Dignity posted:

The ghost you can find at the end of the hallway in Volcano Manor deliberately hunted it down to kill Rykard, blew it and is now hoping someone else will use it to finish the job, I thought that was more than enough setup, certainly more than DS3 Stormruler got

Going back through with a sorcery build in anticipation of the DLC and this is the first time I ever saw that ghost, not sure what I did on previous playthroughs to consistently miss him.

CommonShore posted:

Are we certain that there will be nothing changed about the main game and new to experience on a fresh guy before killing those two?

I would love it if they used this time to also address the end levels that didn't really feel as full and fleshed out as Limgrave/Liurnia/etc but no, highly unlikely that the main game will be touched in any real way.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Is there anything in the sewers of Leyndell worth going for? I already got Dung Eater out and I just really didn't like going through those tunnels, I'm happy to skip it on this sorcery playthrough if it's all junk.

Also I have never bothered with summons much in any Soulsborne game. If I want to help folks beat a boss, do I just put a summons sign outside the boss arena? Can I then go off and putz around until someone summons me?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I wanted to try a build that used the dragon powers but at the time my quick googling seemed to tell me that they weren't very good, plus then I upgraded to a PS5 and forgot to bring over my PS4 saves so I lost the faith guy I had started. Now I'm gearing up for the DLC and it's sounding like it's actually viable, so what's a good guide?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm doing a Str build and how do folks typically cope with the high weight requirements of armors/huge weapons, are people just pumping stamina or do they suck it up and run around with a Heavy load? I hate having to mitigate with a talisman slot occupied by the arsenal charm.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I always got the impression that Kenneth Haight didn't take the throne himself because he's the kind of person that didn't want the responsibility/risk of being ruler himself, but I can't remember the dialogue so I don't know if anything supports that take. Maybe I just got that idea because he prevails on the player to do the dirty work of clearing his keep for him.

I do like him for demystifying Godrick though. There's all this build up that you have to go into Stormveil and fight Godrick, this guy that's been tearing limbs off people and grafting them around, all this pomp and circumstance around claiming his rune- it all sounds sinister, and then you run into Ken and he tells you he's nothing but a country bumpkin hiding away from everyone.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Can you just run past the bats and up the ladder in Fort Faroth? For some reason I expected they would be able to get you before the ladder or while you were climbing and I've just never tried it.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zodium posted:

speaking of leyndell, i will never get tired of killing the stupid draconic tree sentinel by sneaking up behind and casting poison mist. gently caress that guy

I wanted to beat this guy while a little underleveled fair and square, but he was wrecking me and I kept having to back up and heal. Ended up being pushed back to the cliff and then the dope jumped his horse right off the edge. I imagine a lot of people cheese the fight that way, but I wanted to win fair and square! Oh well ended up in Leyndell at like level 50.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Ariong posted:

getting the fingerslayer blade cuts off seluvis…

Is it getting the blade, or giving it to Ranni that does this?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Ariong posted:

What does that cut off?

I think the Edgar invasion always occurs, so if you missed Weeping Peninsula and go here you can't do any of the quest involving his daughter or castle Morne. The only major consequence I think is you can't dip Varre's white cloth in her blood, and you can't summon him for the Misbegotten boss.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Paracelsus posted:

I'm replaying DS3, it feels downright claustrophobic and tiny compared to ER.

Vordt's GH is still the solution to 90% of PvE.

I tried popping into DS3 a couple months back but I just can't handle the reduced mobility compared to Sekiro/Elden Ring. Being able to jump just feels so much better.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
What's a good halberd in mid-to-end game? I was using the one that drops from the Revenger earlier on, but now I've found a bunch more.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm going pure Str this time.

There's too many weapons to choose from in this game!

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I didn't rush the gold scarab talisman, but once I got it I didn't take it off. With zero farming, just spending runes I acquired through defeating enemies and using the golden run items, I'm now at level 167 with only Malenia and the Ashen Capital gauntlet left to do. Game is just filthy with runes.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Epic High Five posted:

Cannot recommend high faith caster or spellblade builds enough. Pretty much any build can be made to be lethal or borderline OP, but pure faith is the most FUN I ever had playing this game.

What are some good weapons to look at for pure Faith builds? This will be my last character that I park after Mohg in the lead up to the DLC. I've been using cipher pata and the winged scythe weapon I found in tombsward ruins, but would like to keep a lookout for other options as I plod on.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wow pest threads really chew through Placidusax.

Don't get me wrong I still had to fight him about 10 tens but every time I almost got him so it still wasn't easy (I'm not very good) but compared to my last playthrough it was much easier.

Having never used Pest Threads before, I'm finding it's disgusting for any large sized enemy once I figured out the spacing.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
If you don't want to beat him head to head, you can cheese him by jumping on the roof. The floating sword attack only stays at ground level, he can't angle it up towards the roof, so you can whittle him down if you have a ranged attacks/poison. Same for the one outside Leyndell, you can jump up on gravestones across from the shack.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Guillermus posted:

I liked fighting Placidusax (with 4 different characters and builds) but I never liked Midir at all. That fight will never click for me.

Midir ends being a pestilent mist fodder.

I abhorred Midir as a pyromancer and ended up using the pestilence to finally beat it as well. I've got my most heartbreaking screenshot ever from Souls games at that fight- You Died and Midir's health bar reduced so much it looks empty. Thing must have had single digit hit points and I just couldn't manage to get that last hit in.

I generally don't like dragon fights in any of these games because it's so hard to see what the hell is happening, but that's a complaint for any of the overly large bosses like the Fire Giant etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Muscle Tracer posted:

Lol just yesterday I took exactly this same screenshot but with Placidusax :v:

Ohhh yeah, found it. Looks like it was even after I switched to the pestilent mercury strategy.

I kind of want to try DS3 again now that I've beaten Sekiro and Elden Ring- I think the former really got me better at playing From titles- and see if I'd be so bad at Midir or if I'd stomp the fight, but it's so hard to go back to the lowered maneuverability without the jump.

Only registered members can see post attachments!