Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bleed absolutely melts them, and they're also weak against slashing damage. Hookclaws are awesome for the dodge, but for straight dps I think two bleed infused knifes will proc bleed the fastest. If you have a Reduvia you can use a spirit ash to draw aggro and use the weapon art to kite it and build hella bleed stacks. This is particularly handy if you get them stuck on the level geometry.

You can also use sleep arrows or pots because they are apparently all tuckered out from rolling around all day and it doesn't take very much at all to put them to sleep. Then you can just cheese them with Scarlet Rot or poison or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

JonathonSpectre posted:

Dudes are amazing, if you can keep aggro on yourself you'll just see a constant loving hail of arrows into whatever it is. They die to a stiff breeze or two but man... if they are left alone they're just shredder turrets.

Latenna is great for this too, if you can get her positioned right.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

CommonShore posted:

The skeletal militiamen are good, especially against opponents who lack big are attacks

These guys will straight up carry you to Altus with their infinitely respawning, aggro-drawing boney asses. Love em.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

I've become mildly addicted to watching LPs of FromSoft games, but man, some of the streamers out there do a good job of convincing me they're non-sapient, what with their inability to notice things directly in front of them or to remember things that happened five minutes ago.

Also many of them never stop to look at the scenery, which is baffling.

Does anybody have any good recommendations who won't give me a headache or call women bitches just because they happen to be kicking their rear end at the moment?

Not an LPer per se as he's more into PVP, but Chase the Bro just exudes joy and wholesomeness.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

He still misses some obvious stuff, but he's cracked at the combat.

"Slightly oblivious bro with a heart of gold" is my favorite character archetype. Also seconding Iron Pineapple, that boy is a goddamn treasure and like 25% of my Steam library is courtesy of his Dumpster Diving playlist.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bring back DS2 gargoyle fight plz

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

there are a lot of good sorcery weapons but don't overlook the glintstone kris. it has a variant of glintstone pebble (glintstone dart) that can be charged and also has the same lunging followup that the pebble aow has. hits like a goddamn truck for only 10 FP, so it's a great way to clear your spell list of basic missiles and stock more fun toys to play with.

I've been running this in slot 2 on my STR/INT arena build and it's insane how many low-health people I've picked off. poo poo comes out fast.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I love a good STR/INT bonk build. SO many great weapons: Ruins GS, Fallingstar Beast Jaw, Royal GS, Radahn's GS, etc. All the joy of a pure bonk build with lots of bonus versatility.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Horace Kinch posted:

Otherwise, kite the douchebag with poison + rot arrows and wait him out on horseback.

This has always been the best way.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

This is the best one I've found so far.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

But that requires getting good and not just bonking my way to victory. :smith:

I mean who even are these guys that are surviving your initial jumping R2?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I yearn for the slow, deliberate combat of the first two games. I’m sure there are tons of people who disagree, but I liked that the games almost felt like tense, controller clenching, turn based games.

Soulsborne combat peaked with DS2, IMO.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Elden Ring is kind of bad at all the things that Dark Souls 3 was good at. DS3 has levels that work beautifully as asymmetric PvP arenas, the animation design and tells on bosses give you specific and mostly-reliable information on what's going to happen about a second in the future, everything is designed to make melee combat work flawlessly while ranged weapons and spells pay a very high opportunity cost for the ability to attack from relative safety.

ER is a gigantic kitchen sink game where you're encouraged to match a much wider set of tools to enemy weaknesses, the open world nature of the game means most zones are mostly either a giant open field or a single linear path, boss attack animations are loaded with bullshit delays and can cancel anything into anything, PvP is warped by the presence of multiplicative damage scaling on talismans, considerably nastier status effects that are easier to apply, and ranged attacks are much stronger in terms of animation speed, damage, stagger, and tracking.

It's not all changes for the worse -- playing a wizard in PvE in Elden Ring is more fun than it has ever been in Dark Souls, the story is much more engaging, the art direction goes from good to great, Torrent is a fantastic addition and makes giant monster bosses much more tolerable (when you're allowed to use him against them) and so on. But they're not really that similar on a mechanical level.

A couple more legacy dungeons on the level of Stormveil and Haligtree would have helped a lot, IMO. They really capture the fun, exploratory "Oh poo poo, I'm HERE again!" vibes from the original Souls games.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Lots of things peaked with DS2. There still hasn't ever been anything like the ratbro covenant, or bonfire ascetics, or the small white soapstone. Any of these would be loving amazing in Elden Ring.

Let's see if we can get this thread talking about Dark Souls 2, the best souls, too.

Not to mention the best PVP. There was a real rhythm to player combat that just absolutely disappeared with the stamina and speed changes in DS3. DS2 was my first Souls game and while it definitely has some issues (enemy placement, a few super lame bosses, some hitbox poo poo, etc.) I still find it way more fun to play than DS1. It just strikes a perfect balance between survival horror and action. No Man's Wharf is one of the coolest areas in the franchise, the covenants were all awesome, powerstancing is dope, and I even loved the gargoyle mob fight. Also had some of the best characters (Lucatiel forever) and the best hub by a wide, wide margin. Its different enough from the original that I understand the initial hate, but I'm honestly surprised at how many people still look at it unfavorably.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Prayerful Strike is good for healing yourself in a pinch. Golden Land used to be insane on Great Stars because its projectiles would proc both the minor self-healing effect and the Blood Loss buildup, but that's since been nerfed; the wiki makes it unclear whether the self-heal still works but AFAIK the golden darts definitely don't inflict bleed buildup anymore.

I think Prelate's Charge still applies everything on the actual weapon hits while you're bulldozing stuff, so that can be a funny option (and it loving rules when you land the golf-swing finisher and send enemies flying into the air). Just don't expect the lingering ground flames to do anything useful since they no longer inherit any weapon properties.

If all else fails, a greathammer can often benefit from an AoE ash like Earthshaker, Gravitas, Waves of Darkness, etc. I think you can also put Cragblade on it if you just want to have more hammer on your hammer.

Waves of Darkness loving owns and it's absolutely insane how often the third hit picks people off in PVP.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

CommonShore posted:

I played around with it a bit (for PVE) and I found the range too short to be terribly useful, though that could be because I'm playing on NG+5 right now. What contexts do you use it in?

It's awesome for humanoid PvE mob fights on a colossal weapon, just wait for everyone to get close, pop the WA, and do a sweeping attack just before the third hit of the WA and it absolutely melts mobs. Way less useful if you can be easily poise broken, obv.

In PVP I like to use it more for positioning; I pop the WA to get a bit of space and then throw in a mixup or hardswap to a new weapon and half the time the enemy player gets so flustered they forget about the third hit of the WA, which you can easily combo off of.

It's also awesome for a bait and switch; I like to have two Guts swords, one with something like Stamp, Lion's Claw, or Giant Hunt and the other with WoD. Let the enemy player get real used to the melee weapon art and then swap to an identical weapon with WoD. If you catch them off guard you can sometimes burst them down in a single combo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

No Dignity posted:

That said it is very funny that her ultimate soul destroying 'I didn't want to use this power, but I have no choice but to go all out' technique is like nothing compared to her regular sword skills

"Behold, my final form!"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

One thing I love/hate about elden ring is all the ridiculously long ladders. I love them because they're goofy, but I hate them because why did they put this giant ladder here???????

visions of snake...

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Gologle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9XHn33WWHo

I wish I had more interest in Armored Core, this feels rad as hell

It's really fun, but it hasn't grabbed me as much as the earlier entries in the series. The length of the missions makes it really easy to pick up and put down whenever, I say give it a go.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

"I'm off to go get a hug I'll never forget."

Mods?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

OK, four games in I really need to get this off my chest : gently caress Fromsoft dogs. gently caress their stunlocking, gently caress their constant attacks if there's more than one (1) of them, gently caress the fact that it's the SAME MOVESET since DS1, gently caress their conspiring with the camera to make your day poo poo if there's a wall or rock within 500 meters, gently caress the Radagon big dogs, just gently caress all of the dogs, always and forever (in Fromsoft games specifically).

They're not fun, they're not clever, they're not interesting and I'm sick and tired of them.
The rats can go gently caress the dogs, too.

Guard counter loving trivializes them in ER, and a decent shield basically does the same in all the DS entries. I've never understood the hate, tbh.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

War Wizard posted:

Do both! Duplicate the rememberance at one of them walking mausoleums.

This is the way. Both items are loving dope, I always dupe Radahn's remembrance.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

Happiest ? She's basically unmaking the universe because it has suffering in it/the gods are broken. Not even Goldmask's "perfect immutable Order forever", just... nothing.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Every game deserves an Age of Darkness ending imo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

General Fromsoft question: why was dark souls the breakout hit for them and not demons souls

They made the blacksmith a smokin' hot, shirtless bear instead of an emaciated twunk.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

also Bloodborne if it ever gets a PC release.

It won't, Sony sucks rear end. Lies of P is the best we get (and honestly it's really loving solid).

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know why I bother.

You guys are both more than welcome to stop imo

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

So far they've made a number of assertions (about the game, AND me) without sourcing *poo poo*. Whereas I've quoted the game multiple times and never insulted anyone (that quip was just that - a quip. Meant to make people (well, mostly myself, but I assume other people also, possibly) laugh, not "appear cool".).

Angry Diplomat posted:

It'd be nice if you could knock it off.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, problem is anything arcane heavy doesn't really come online until late game which rules it out for anything I'd recommend. Pure faith is a barrel of fun from the get go, and as you said this could still work because dragon incants benefit from arcane thanks to their seal and are extremely powerful and fun. It's something a pure faith run could transition to for the endgame without even a respec, in the same way that pyro builds have the same problem with all of the best spells being in Mountaintops. I used a ton of dragon stuff and had a decent bit of arcane on my pure incant run for this purpose, it's just too good having a nuke of every element type in the game at ready.

I'm doing a lvl 12 Sunbro build right now and I'm doing hella dex/arcane stuff. A scarseal and prosthesis-wearer's heirloom will let you use Reduvia and Bloodhound's Fang early. Slap Bloody Slash on an uchi (or any other katana, really) for sick bleed procs. Pulley crossbow will proc bleed, rot, and poison in like one volley depending on resistance, too.

It definitely requires more creativity and running around than a faith/int/str build, but early-game dex/arcane builds are plenty viable imo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

Bwuh ? Either/or depending on bolts I can see, but all three at once ? How do you do that ?

Sorry, bleed, poison, or rot.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

verbal enema posted:

Get your fake bloodborne outta her3

I dunno this guy claims to be an Elden Lord maybe we should give him a chance

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Just let players disenchant weapons and return 100% of the resources, IMO. Or let player buy “blacksmith smithing levels” with materials and let them upgrade weapons to that max level for free.

Lies of P is pretty cool about this. Weapons are composed of a blade and handle; the former determines moveset and the latter determines other stat attributes and effects. If you have a weapon that you love but you suddenly need to switch things up because of an enemy's resistance, you just swap the blade to a new handle, no items or money required.

There are also items that change the scaling type of weapons, and these can be reset/changed pretty easily too.

While it may be uninspired af, LoP has some of the best quality of life considerations I've ever seen in a Soulslike.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

skasion posted:

The gently caress does Hewg need runes for anyway

LEAVE HEWG ALONE HE IS A loving ANGEL AND HE CAN HAVE AS MANY RUNES AS HE WANTS

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I am now mad because the knight chest is better armour than the kaiden chest, and I have the weight for it, but it means I no longer look this cool:

E: see, nowhere near as cool:

Friendship ended with black metal, power metal is my new best friend.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

I like how the Bell Bearing Hunters are harder for me to kill then almost every Demi-God.

I cheesed all of them in every single playthrough, gently caress those infinite poise assholes.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

LazyMaybe posted:

to enjoy invading in a modern fromsoft game on the regular you need to have a saint_riot esque mindset where you have good knowledge of various tools and are willing to play the long game harassing with ranged weapons and kiting into mobs to slowly dismantle groups.

Chase the Bro also exemplifies this in his invasion videos, basically required viewing for aspirational invaders, IMO.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

MrQueasy posted:

I'm just going through a boss checklist now that I've beaten Maliketh and am enjoying mopping things up with my ruins greatsword.

You have great taste, Ruins Greatsword is one of my favorite Soulslike weapons of all time.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

It's all a lot more complicated than it sounds, but yeah the gist is Finger Seal (your starting one as Prophet) -> Godslayer -> Erdtree

When you get a new one, check what it boosts, and have it in your offhand for the bonus while casting that element with your main hand seal. Combined with scorpion charms and physik tears this gives you a brainless +%45ish damage boost without ever having to cast a single buff

Getting some points in endurance is nice not just for the extra stamina, but the Crucible sets are both surprisingly light for how much poise they give and each piece boosts crucible incant damage which is considerable.

My recommendation if you REALLY want to have some fun with things tho, is to buff with Howl of Shabriri (the spell from the Liurnia eye of sauron tower). It stacks with Golden Vow because it's a body buff, and gives a RIDICULOUS +25% to ALL damage, only don't get hit because it also increases incoming damage by 30%, and this is on top of the 12% more you'll take from the scorpion charms

Oh and make sure you get Pest Threads, it's the Doom shotgun spell and since it's physical you can replace the scorpion tear with something else. It will shred anything bigger than an omen but requires a bit more thought that the late game ungodly I Win button spell you get in CFA. By "a bit more" of course I mean just non-zero, literally just use it like you would a shotgun

BRB, starting a FTH run.

Can't believe I slept on FTH/Pyro in every iteration of the franchise, wtf was I thinking?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Annath posted:

I was scrolling through the Dark Souls 2 wiki, as one does, and I noticed an interesting ring description:

Emphasis mine.

Interesting, given the speculation on Miquella's ties to dreams/sleep in Elden Ring.

Dark Souls II 2 confirmed

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rune Arcs really show their utility in low level runs, IMO. I have a SL15 Sunbro build that's basically useless on the overworld without Godrick's great rune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I've been blindish playing through ds1 lately. I got up to the twin gargs like a decade ago and bounced. Picked up the remaster on some steam sale and finally got around to going hard.

It's so much slower than ER. Took a bit to get used to the roll scheme but gently caress. It's a nice relaxing experience sizing up the opposition then slaughtering them.

The first two Dark Souls games have the best combat feel, with 2 slightly edging out the OG IMO. I love the slower, weightier, more methodical feel. Once 3 adopted the Bloodborne model things just got too roll-spammy and combat lost a lot of its ebb and flow. There were still some rad boss fights in DS3 that had great rhythmic feel (Dancer, Dragonslayer Armor, Soul of Cinder), but everything else felt a little too spastic compared to the first two.