Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

That one is good but the Stormwind Castle ep is just :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lol apparently Elden Ring has almost 10x daily players compared to Diablo4. 30k daily counting steam only, vs 4k all platforms.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lies of P sure has better dogs!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Also using colossal weapons while naked against doggos is just a bad idea in general. And in general. It’s not the best pvp nor pve loadout since DS1, where you could backstab fish with client side grab frames.
See, you’re thinking of the game as something different. You’re thinking of it as an RPG where you try to win. When in fact, the game is a Barbie dress-up power fantasy / cosplay simulator. You can be over there with your ”stats” and ”pvps”, and we can be over here running around in thongs and helmets with dragon swords and mimicing urns.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You can’t pet the dog in Elden Ring, right?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

Heal on *them*. Not on yourself. Like, it would be one thing if that AoE regen miracle thingy hosed them, but "LOOK UPON MY HEALING MINETH OWN HITPOINTS, AND DESPAIR (also die)" is on a whole 'nother level.
The heal is an AOE, even says so in the description, like, that’s its main purpose, to use on your summons. So I don’t see this as farfetched at all, and easier to figure out than many other secrets in the game. The one thing I agree on is, why does it work only on this particular undead. If Holy deals like 10x damage to skeletons then this aoe heal should as well.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I had big laugh at how all the endings are bizarrely depressing.

Okay class, today lets talk about everyone’s dreams for the future! Who wants to start?
Fat kid: I wanna cover everything in POOP!! And and and the clouds turn to DIARRHEA!! And everyone is cursed by the POOP CURSE!!
Bighat emo goth girl: I want everyones senses to disappear and all light to vanish and everyone to fumble around in darkness forever unable to connect with other people… just like me…
Guy in the back: I wanna fracture civilization.
Scrawny kid waving arms frantically: i i i think peace and order sounds ni-
Edgelord: Pfft… this world is hosed anyway… just burn it all…
Weird nervous girl: When my dad died my mom cremated him and spread his ashes over a field and said he will be happy there forever so I think everyone should dance in the happy ash field forever.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The obvious canon ending is the "The Lord of Poop covered everything in Poop and the clouds are Diarrhea now and everyone is cursed by the Poop Curse" ending.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think ”YOU DIED” is the most morally compassionate ending.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The two/three finger hands difference makes a lot of sense, because the two fingers should look cool and towering in the roundtable hold, and the three fingers should have a player grab animation that actually works in practice and thus needs to be a lot smaller.

I think as someone said, it's missing the 5-10 things that do connect them perfectly for the one thing that is easily explainable by One Piece villains.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Eerkik posted:

Not sure if there's another entrance but right after the ramparts after the draconic tree sentinel I'm basically getting my rear end handed to me by all the soldiers, which i don't remember ever being an issue. Think I got 26 str, 34 faith, 15 dex and have been working towards filling out mind and endurance now with a bit of vigor. Using a words words words
Mate I have found your problem: You are dying because you health bar is being emptied, well pal you need more health bar! Your build is a glass cannon. In fact I ran into the same brick wall (but a different location) and what solved it was just Health Health Health. Pump all your points into Vigor until you have at least 50!

Later on in the game there are going to be megatanky bosses that are total slogfiestas equipped with multiple attacks that will one-shot you with a build like this. Unless you are a Pro-Core FromSoft Streamer with mad iframes knowledge, you will need to be able to take a few hits without bursting into flames or your endgame is going to suuuuuuck shiiiiit.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I adore what From is going for with their PvP and loved getting ganked when first playing DS1 and Elden Ring. They were surprising and tense moments that fit well into the world and melded with my single player experience very neatly.

However I find it very hard to get into because of all the myriad of items and rules and factions, and the items are limited so if I misunderstood something I maybe wasted a vital item, etc etc. I feel discouraged to even get started because I might do it 'wrong'.

Then the colosseum is a perfect addition but it is so badly designed. In theory, you can choose arena, choose playstyle, etc. However, you ONLY match with people who have EXACTLY the same settings as you. And the game doesn't tell you how many players are available, or which level range, etc. So the right thing to do to get matches is just pick default settings. Also you need to sit and wait in the roundtable, instead of say, applying for a match and being able to run around the world until you get matched up.

Basically Elden Ring commits the PvP sin of taking a huge player base and making it seem really small by dividing it up into a multitude of little sections ands barriers between the people playing so even though maybe thousands of people are playing at the same time, you wait 10min for a match because right at this moment there was noone waiting for specifically a level 90 1on1 time limited night time winter match in ShitHole Town with red sprinkles but no blue pinatas allowed.

SF6 I think is a gold standard for PvP. Three is only Ranked and Unranked, matchmaking happens in the background everywhere in the entire game, and if it's crowded you will get similar skill levels, if it's sparse you will match up with whoever the gently caress from wherever the gently caress. So what I do is turn on matchmaking, hang around in training mode practicing combos but you can also do arcade mode, challenges, etc, and within 20-30 secs it's match time baby. Battle Hub is also really good because it tells you how many are in each hub so you can tell 'aha i'm getting no matches because this particular hub was empty *switches hubs*' or 'aha I can actually see that all hubs are empty because noone's playing at 6PM on christmas eve, mind blown'

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 19, 2024

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

verbal enema posted:

can i still get Ranni's and Blaidd's items if i complete this three fingers quest

ive only ever got ranni's ending the one time i beat this

No, you are now locked into the frenzied flame ending, but you can remove the frenzied flame through an obscure ritual that involves killing Malenia, then you can get your regular endings again.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

To beat the game you need to beat 2 out of the 4-5 story bosses, get into leyndell, then it's kinda linear from there.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ranni's quest is also relatively straightforward in that you visit a bunch of static pieces in a row and it's hard to lock yourself out of it permanently, compared to say, playing whack-a-mole with Goldmask over the entire world with no journal or map indicators as to where he is moving.

Or the Dung Eater ending which, when I looked it up, turned out I had already missed some obscure thing and locked myself out of it, so oh well great ok then.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I liked the dungeons, because Elden Ring can be very stressful, and stumbling upon one of these were a welcome break from the well everything into a more simpler time.

Then they pull some real rear end in a top hat designs out and I remember this is the real world. My favorite were standing on the falling axe blade when it ascends to reach a platform oh and also archers everywhere. Thanks!

My least favourite were, during the already endlessly lovely and awful sewers trip, the one with like four layered sections looping into a confusing forever-nightmare with each one being assholier than the last and a little god drat switch somewhere in there that did... something... somewhere.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ariong posted:

I hate Maliketh. He’s just too fast for me. I can’t react to his attacks in time to dodge them, and for me memorizing attack patterns so I know what dodges to do in advance is the opposite of fun.
I loving hated Maliketh too. He was just at the end of the game where I was starting to get tired of slamming into brick walls to memorize my way around, and then his second form is just some crazy bullshit gatekept by his first form which has a lot of HP and other annoyances. So not only do you need to memorize the exact hitbox safe spots in his insane multislash attacks to be able to get close enough to do damage safely, you also have this huge runup and effort in between each attempt, and then a split second mistake and two hits just kills you. So lets say I wanna learn his spinning multislash move without a wiki, because that seems to be the only move where I can safely get in for a punish easily, well I need 20 attempts to study the intricacies of its hitbox by dying to it in different positions, and each attempt costs me 5-10mins. Even Fire Giant was less frustrating because his moves at least were easy to remember and the hitboxes were at least where you expected them to be.

I ended up cheesing Maliketh with dragon rot. He was a lot easier to deal with when all you had to focus on was backing away safely. Just burst his first form down, try not to trigger rot on it because that raises his resistance to it, start second form by having you and your mimic blast rot all over the arena, and back away slowly maybe taking a cheap shot occasionally if it seems super safe.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 27, 2024

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

euphronius posted:

I do think the game would be better with less over-world horseback riding and being more on rails but this is the game we have
Hard disagree, riding around on the horse were some of my favourite moments of the game and never got tiring to me, especially with the dreamlike environments and the abundant amount of warp points in explored areas. It was a very welcome interruption in between the 'dying to really hard things' gameplay loop. The only place where horseback riding wasn't wowing me was the mountains.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Good luck with Fire Giant. Some advice. Just accept the camera as ‘yes this is what fighting a giant IRL would look and feel like’. Do not play slow and safe because a longer fight means more opportunities for the floaty fire orbs to force you into a mistake. The fight is about not loving up for a long time so paradoxically your best bet is to rush and shorten the duration of time and thus also the number of attacks you need to not gently caress up for.

His movements are primitive but well rooted in martial arts which means just by looking at his feet and leg movements you can tell what his body is doing and thus which attack is coming. So get close, stay close, keep your camera always pointed at the floaty fire orbs, and hack away.

Phase two just run fast A F with horse to his back and hack at his feet. Whenever he does something back off. Dont say on his side because then his side roll will kill you and also all of his stomachmouth moves will oneshot you there as well. So again just hack at his toes and don’t waste time playing things safe.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ariong posted:

Yeah this sort of response bothers me. A lot of times when people express frustration with this they get a response like “well it just isn’t a co-op game, you can’t expect a good co-op experience.” And I’m like.. why not? It could be. God didn’t send Moses down with a stone tablet dictating that Elden Ring co-op must be hampered by interruptions that can only be stopped by vanquishing the lovely netcode.
It isn't a coop or multiplayer game for the sole reason that those two aren't well implemented. If those were well implemented it would work well as a coop or multiplayer game. Agreed and Case Closed imo.