Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They've been doing it since they started as a company. They won't stop now.

In Armored Core the real curse that followed humanity all the way to Mars was greed and unchecked capitalism/corporatism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Studying the dex blade is how I too usually do my first playthrough but that's also because I luv2bow cheese. In DS2 there's a sicknasty dex 2h In DS3 they were just like here's a katana off the bat so you bet your rear end I started pumping dex. I also hope greatbows make a return.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Mailer posted:

I'm sure I screwed up a couple dozen finer points relating to the lore of both games here, but the souls/fog thing hit me immediately when I started playing Dark the first time.

Its easy to forget given SA's part in popularizing Demons souls in the west that the majority of people played Dark before Demons. The thematic elements are weakened when viewed in the reverse because your first interpretation of them is far less connected, which works for dark; a book in a library in a language you half understood by design.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

I'm not taking time off, I'm going to play slowly and let you all pass me so when i have questions like 3 days later y'all will be on ng+

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pretty daring of Elden Ring to demand you mint your summon sign on the blockchain before you can call for help in-game.

I thought that was some ridiculous bullshit too, but since that's how they track the delivery of the exclusive crypto only DLC i guess that makes sense.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Big Bizness posted:

I've been playing the hell out of Ninja Gaiden Black. There are some similarities to Soulsborne in both the combat and the world exploration aspect. Both it and Sekiro were made a bit tougher coming right from Souls because my brain didn't want to believe I could actually consistently block stuff with a katana in both cases. Anyway, I loved it, cleared it all the way through master ninja difficulty and all of mssion mode. It might be my new favorite character action game.

I started NG2, I'll probably finish at least one difficulty before ER but it seems a bit sloppier and less refined then NGB.

Oh man welcome to some 14 year old heartbreak. Explosions basically ruined ng2s higher difficulties, particularly delivered from homing rocket squads. Save yourself some time, pretend Ninja Gaiden 1 Black/Sigma is the only one that exists and move on to Devil May Cry 4

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Ive been playing this insanely awesome game every second I'm not working or sleeping pretty much. At work, I'm reading the thread. Every post babyyy. 106 hrs on my main character (dropped the second one when we realized that i can co op with my noobie friends no matter what level i am thanks to the magic of the multiplayer password. Lvl 106, since the 80s my playtime and level have basically been the same. And man, what a playtime. I feel I've done so much, cleared so many areas and bosses, but underground i havent touched lake of rot yet and I'm doing mt gelmir stuff but i havent even been into the capital past the first grace point with Boc. Still have so much game to go.

A lot of people have touched on a lot of aspects but i just want to talk a bit about the customization always being open as one of my favorite ways to "level up".

At first, I was CoffeeWitchEmily (minus 1 f cause names are so short). A pebble casting little weakling, struggling to make my way through this tough world. Exploring limgrave trying to find my footing, i found myself teleported by a trap chest to an evil cave of white shrimp assholes. I thought, ah, a cave, surely the way out is up!

It was not. And i died over and over again, and it was the first mine i ever found so after an hour or so of run dying, i managed to open the big double doors that I had no idea were the boss indicators yet. Hard dead. So after dying over and over again running out the wrong way, i finally find my way out. Exhausted, all souls lost, i begin my ride of shame back to limgrave. But on my way back, i spot some ruins, and the enemies were strong, but i wasn't trapped in a cave and had torrent so i said let's see what's in here.

And that's when Emily found the meteor staff, and shortly after, gravity rocks.

Gamechanger. Now Emily could destroy things that would have run right through her pebbles. So i thought to myself, okay, i hit that trap. Now that the trap is spent, let's go back to the dragon burnt ruins and see what's REALLY in that chest.

Turns out, nothing but more trap, so now I'm back in the mine. Goddamnit, gently caress, okay. Run out, okay, last time i went one way from here and found this cool poo poo. Went the other way, found rot dog. Okay, feeling good!

The next 20 hrs saw limgrave and weeping penis tremble at my gravity might. As I'm clearing everything before going back to stormveil (i had greatly overestimated the area based on Margit, where our initial multiplayer night came to an abrupt halt),i find a little cave right on the border. My buddy Alexander! Surely the front entrance of this cave can't be far.

And then Emily got moonveil, and was no longer the young kid barista witch. Now a full fledged spellblade with demigod kill credit, GlintSliceEmily came into being. Older, wiser, much more powerful. As many found out, the REAL boss of Raya Lucaria.

My favorite gimmick was to use the host ring, and dress up as one of the sorcerers and nod emote to them as they're reading in that one room with 4 sorcerers and the giant jar. Disguise spell works too in rooms full of enemies like that where the eye has too many moving pieces to keep track of things that are still and out of place.

And now? Wizened glinttinted white hair, primeval spells, i dont even know what name would fit. Such power. The fact that i can evolve my character's look as their strength goes up is so insanely rad I'm going to be bothered by every rpg that doesn't have this option from now on.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

After getting destroyed last night by Malenia in my initial attempts, I needed a new strategy. Spells weren't enough dmg to outspeed her healing vs my mp, moonveil put me in a range far too dangerous for my ability to dodge her attacks, and dual wielding it with a magic uchi wasn't enough either. But drat it, i wasnt going to respec out of magic, so i started looking through my inventory for a way to get bigger numbers. A big disappointing thumbs down to the int scaling on alabaster lord sword, but helphens steeple got b scaling at +10 and powerstancing it with darkmoon +10 got her in 3 tries, tore through her first phase. Her second? Yeah like 3/4ths of her hp down with comet azur gently caress that I'm a mage use what my star mommy sold me. And on that Sellen note, my headcannon of her story:

With the primordial studies complete, Sellen now knows all the cool spells. She takes of her helmet. She has no need of such simple trinkets now. They pale in comparison of the powers of Comet D'Azur. Triumphantly, she teleports to Raya Lucaria, storms through the halls, "killing" her way through to Rennala's chamber. After all if you, her student, did it, surely her power will carry her through. Readying her staff, equipping her strongest spells, she enters Rennala's chamber. "Haha, gently caress yeah!!" Rennala goes up in the golden shield. Sellen begins casting at her. It does nothing. The children begin to swarm. Sellen "What? What the gently caress whyyyy" Children are now swarming over her, her spells no longer being able to hold them off. Rennala lowers herself to the now defenseless and mortally wounded Sellen. Sellen, thinking she has one more trump card: "Make me a STAR baby!"
But the rebirth was imperfect and incomplete, and Sellens mind already fractured within the star. Whomp whomp.

Edit: Oh yeah like the goon above me I never learned how to properly dodge waterfowl dance, what I DID learn early on is that it's relatively easy to keep her AI back to the wall and you can outrun the ENTIRE thing backwards so, that's how i did it.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 4, 2022

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

redreader posted:

What are the int/str weapons to go for? I have 40 str and someone recommended getting up to 20 int/dex. I have 18 int but no weapons seem to need it really. What weapons should I try to get?

The crystal weapons(ive found knife, sword, rotted sword, spear) are str int. Carian Knight sword too maybe? Troll greatsword, alabaster lord sword (drops from those enemies) are also str int. Radahns greatswords are also a popular lower Endurance investment option due to a built in powerstance.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I mean yeah it's what they believe, but they're not really taking any action towards making it happen, so they're harmless in my book

They're not NOW after Marika locked them down there. Like you're a monster nevertheless for going out of your way to genocide the remaining defeated remnants of an old war, which is explicitly something you always do in the pursuit of power in all souls games. There's always a Last Giant (since DS2 at least), and you usually kill it as part of the required path.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Man, it's from a few pages ago, but one awesome little detail about the paleozoic times Ordovis, Siluria and Darriwil were named for, from wikipedia:

"The Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event considerably increased the diversity of life. Fish, the world's first true vertebrates, continued to evolve, and those with jaws may have first appeared late in the period. (Crucible of Life!) About 100 times as many meteorites struck the Earth per year during the Ordovician compared with today.(oh fuuuuck!!! )

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

War Wizard posted:

My roommate has found some choice uses for the backstab spell. Mostly circumventing shields and NPCs don't know to dodge it. It also gets around flame turrets.

NPC dont dodge the night spells right as part of their flavor text. I also used the heck out of it on indoor maps where i could lock onto enemies from the other side of an entry and hit them without ever facing them directly. It's very cheap and works in a LOT of indoor areas including tombs, hitting things cubby to cubby across moving chariots, though you do have to re establish the lock every 2 hits when the game breaks it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

GreatGreen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEyjdc-DIb8&t=4098s

He starts getting to the heart of his complaints around the 1:08:18 mark.

Maybe ease up on using the classic "Tool fan" defense of "you can't dislike this thing I like, you can only fail to understand it." It's lame, and it doesn't apply here.

Oh dude he's outright being nice and humoring you even skimming it. Plot discussion, theorizing, mechanic videos, sure. No one gives a poo poo what some random videogame man thinks about anything, even videogame difficulty and OpInIoNs. To couch said thoughts over an hour into a 2 hour video means I'm going to laugh in your face because who the gently caress wants to spend that much time engaging with that poo poo who isn't personally tied into that community. "He starts getting to the heart of his complaints around the 1:08:18 mark." loving lmao.

On the other hand you got awesome goons putting together credible based rear end plot theories without obsessing over a Japanese translation of another word in this very thread and that's some good rear end content.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

GreatGreen posted:

Maybe you don't suck and have instead simply resigned to the false notion that From Software is divine and perfect and therefore any time you aren't having Peak Fun is simply because you're not playing well enough? Because it definitely can't be that there's something wrong with the way From made their definitely perfect game, can it.

I think getting gud gets conflated a lot with go away and do something else, or the even better, use a different thing. It's not that From has made the perfect game, it's that From has given you 6 ways to deal with a situation but because it's too inconvenient or goes against a self imposed code, people get really mad they can't keep doing one thing, even when doing one thing worked until now. Hell, maybe they even did one thing and it worked all through an older souls game.
Older souls games didnt have respecs and on demand NPC summons either, but people still play it like it does. And after people do hitless runs and lvl 1 runs and still fight and beat every boss, no, it's still the games fault. If getting gud is beating the whole game at lvl 1 and being cheap is tiche kamehamehaing your way through it, that someone can't find a way through is kind of on them, and that means neither get gud or do something else. It's like playing GTA and always obeying the traffic laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

sure okay posted:

It's so subjective that it's difficult to label what a "bad" fight really is. Your frustration is someone else's cup of tea.

I will say there is an Ulcerated Tree Spirit in a legacy dungeon that I think is bad because:
A) I have fought this enemy type numerous times and he brought nothing new to the fight, and
B) It was in a small room for such a massive boss that my camera was constantly being wonky.

Notice the "I think" there in front of my opinions, because that's just what they are! Youtubers and posters ITT sometimes (repeatedly) present subjective opinions as facts and it's very tiring. Writing "I think" in front of your takes is both humbling for yourself and persuasive to others, so maybe give it a spin!

Lol even the tiny room ulcerated tree spirits were cool on ng+ (and I HATED THEM ng) because once i realized where their safe spots and hitboxes are, those fights are easier as melee cause it's easier to unlock and wail powerstanced L2s from safe spots and they can never get far enough from you to not allow you to easily reset.