Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

But 2 was still the best because you were basically the villain and all the henchmen you fought had amazing dialogue where they just got more and more terrified of you as the game went on.

What great dialogue? The weird sped-up voice acting because they had to fit everything on an Xbox 360 DVD?

Far Cry 2 was an attempt at making the worst high-budget open world game, with as many annoyances as possible. Some people apparently were tricked into thinking a game that isn't fun to play is somehow "artistic" or something. Malaria, checkpoints, enemies haunting you across the whole map because you drove by them, then repairing your vehicle, the open world being nothing but a section of small corridors, gun jamming, no stealth system at all so everything ends in a shootout. Just infuriating at every corner.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Weirdly enough watch dogs legion is pretty openly political in good ways. One of the villains is a technocratic fascist and another is the uks not homeland security. Plus lots of other stuff.

And then they went and made a weird story about organ theft with that backdrop, which really doesn't seem relevant to the state of the UK surveillance state at all.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not really. I don't think the UK government is secretly working on stealing immigrants' organs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You got the "secret" ending?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any reason to not just get Ubisoft+ for a month and immediately cancel, allowing me to play the full game for $15 as long as I don't take longer than a month to finish it? I don't care about future DLC or movie tie-in missions.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, Ubisoft+ it is for me, then.

The ending to Far Cry 5 was fine, ending with the cult being entirely correct was the usual Far Cry twist. People just didn't like it because they were projecting their dumb politics onto a vapid entertainment product.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please spoiler tag that whole post, knowing how the performance is before I'm playing the game myself is impacting my experience.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently, Giancarlo wants to cure cancer, but the rebels don't like that so they're working on toppling his government.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously, shooting some guns with Min? Who wouldn't prefer that ending to siding with the weird religious fanatics.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Menus slow down to a crawl in borderless windowed mode, seems to be a bug. Having to play in fullscreen is a bit annoying.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry isn't some overarching story where games have to fit together. hth

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yep, I subscribed to the more expensive tier for a single month because I want to try out Stadia. Playing Far Cry 6 on PC, of course, because I'm not playing at 30 FPS on Stadia. But I think I'll check out Valhalla on the service, just to see how it is.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i liked valhalla. its not perfect but its a more refined origins but with a better plot(though way way longer to its own detriment)

I really liked Origins (and the soundtrack was amazing!), but I found that to be pretty long already. The absurd length is the main thing that kept me from Valhalla so far, especially with my completionist tendencies.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
FidelityFX Super Resolution (DLSS) resets to "Off" every time I reload the game. Pretty annoying.

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't really understand the FC5 ending.

This is probably because I'm dumb, but it may also be because the ending of FC5 was dumb.

Did the US government nuke the cultists, or did they nuke themselves as some kind of dead-man switch / "rapture"? I know the cult had possession of at least one US nuclear missile silo.

By that point I was so annoyed with the story that I didn't think too much about it and just uninstalled.

The US was in some kind of conflict, with tensions ratcheting up more and more, and got nuked. That's how I understood it. The cult just happened to be right about the end of the world.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's no universe, just because they have some nods to the other games in each one doesn't mean they're doing any kind of "shared world" or continuing storyline. It's pretty obvious they're all independently written.

And Far Cry 1 and 2 weren't even by the same development studio, the continuation of Far Cry 1 is Crysis because Ubisoft owned the brand name.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 8, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I mean ultimately yeah, there's no direct continuation outside of a few returning characters and Hurk but I mean...

The Jackal's texture and model files in Far Cry 2 were literally named jackcarver even at release. Different developers or not, it was clearly an idea being bounced around during the development of 2.

Yeah, but that's still primarily an easter egg more than anything else. It's not like it has any relevance to anything happening in FC2. And knowing this also doesn't inform us about what type of personality the "Jackal" is, because there's simply not much to the character of Jack Carver in Far Cry 1.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Note that you have to re-enable FidelityFX Super Resolution every game restart, for me the setting doesn't stick in FC6.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mod idea: Replace every instance of "guerilla" with "gusano"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No, just Story and Action mode.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished newbie island, collected all side stuff etc. When do I get the ability to build out my base?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

I don't think there's as big a gulf between choices as there was in AC: Odyssey where Kassandra was witty and funny and Alexios was.. not.. Both VA's seem fine here but I'm playing with a female Dani because it does sort of feel like the canonical choice for some reason. I knew I made the right choice when I got the livin la vida loca singalong the first time I stepped into a car.

Edit: This game has gotten me to reinstall Tropico 6

Both had the exact same lines, they were exactly equally witty and funny. But Alexios has the better voice actor, in Odyssey the male choice is the preferred one. Though neither performance is outstanding, which isn't surprising considering the absurd length of the game.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slavik posted:

Think ive clocked 15 hours in this game before realising you can change your rate of fire in the weapon wheel. Forgot that was a thing from the previous games.

Why would you ever do that.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

drkeiscool posted:

the starter FAL goes from being pitiful to killing level one enemies in a single headshot

which, uh, isn't saying much, but every little bit helps?

Interesting, guns get stronger when in single-shot mode? Have to try this.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's all the same tired Ubisoft formula.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i must compose posted:

I'm getting bad stutters or fps drops when driving, especially with RTX on. Is there any fix for this? Is driving a really big thing other than getting from one place to another? I don't want RTX off, it looks good.

Enable FidelityFX Super Resolution. Unfortunately, you need to do this every play session because the setting doesn't save.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tgacon posted:

Acquiring weapons too quickly and the complete lack of difficulty are problems; but I absolutely do not think they’re worse than the forced kidnappings. That poo poo ruined 5 for me.

The forced kidnappings happen four times, and it's very foreseeable when they happen. Really not a big deal.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fast cars loose anus posted:

Whoever designed The Long Drop is free to kiss my rear end

Had to repeat that one multiple times as well, super annoying.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So turns out, large parts of the city in Esperanza are just blocked with invisible walls and seemingly non-playable. So if you intended to cause mayhem in a city environment, tough luck.

I guess that explains why you can't fly over it, you get instakilled as soon as you enter the zone.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do the convoys and boats spawn endlessly?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's not really the same thing, though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it's not offensive or anything. Just another engagement email, you get them from tons of games. This one is just striking a weirder tone than most. It does fit the game.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"General bug fixes"
https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/115115/far-cry-6-october-26-hotfix?lang=en-US

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty embarrassing, why would you admit to that

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The latest patch is crazy buggy, tons of things no longer work correctly. I often can't accept hints from Yarans, the Big Papi in Little Yara side mission no longer triggers and people are reporting respawn issues.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

J-Spot posted:

I imagine last-gen consoles have something to do with the city limitations. Kind of reminds me of how Fallout 3 had to be laid out.

Seems unlikely. Urban environments is not what Far Cry is about, and making a very detailed end-game city only comparatively few people get to see would be a waste.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

- Story is fine but Castillo is the bottom tier for Far Cry villains. And for all the build-up, that ending was as anti-climatic as you can get.

This game is entirely garbage, I disagree with this point: The story is moronic as hell, tons of missions don't make any sense (what the heck was up with that bell tower hanging, why the gently caress did the person hanged suddenly have a timed bomb on him), Dani's soft spot for Castillo's son is very weird. Far Cry 6 makes 5 look like a masterpiece.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, absolutely no one knows about Hitler wanting to build Germania. Crazy how the Far Cry writers manage to elevate unknown moments of history to prominence through their brilliant writing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Extortionist posted:

The weapon progression also didn't really make sense. If you can hit a headshot at all something like the MS16 with AP ammo makes a lot of the combat trivial, and you can pick it up pretty early in the game.

There's also the nailgun resolver you can buy at the beginning of the game that makes everything trivial: It's fully silenced.

Extortionist posted:

Overall, I don't regret paying for and immediately canceling the $16 subscription to play it.

This is the way to buy these games.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Time to break into AC: Valhalla!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Had the same issue, just headshotted her without aiming down sights at all. Was the only way to complete that section.

Also, the "Big Papi in Little Yara" story is still broken and doesn't trigger.