Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do wish i had a better video card, because my 970 can handle this at low only. It's playable but i know i'm not getting the full experience. I have to admit these games don't have to innovate that much, just give me a map to explore, things to collect, poo poo to build and upgrade and people to headshot and stab.

Though i literally just bought Wildlands and I was thinking this is a solid Far Cry game. A friend who works at Ubisoft hooked me up though so I feel obliged, but how much I enjoyed 4 and 5, I'll most likely enjoy this.

At least the player character is a native to the island so you are personally invested in what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've basically just been using the m14 with the silencer for everything. Pop pop! Dead Fascist!

Though is there a way to tell if a soldier is an informant or do I just have to walk up to every one without a gun and see if it lets me bribe them? Also i turned my mini map off by accident and I cannot figure out what key brings it back, there's none bound in the settings.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phetz posted:

The bribe-able soldiers should have that black diamond with an exclamation point icon over their heads, like the guerillas who tell you where to find AA guns and whatnot. As for the minimap, I think you turn it back on in the HUD settings.

Oh okay, i know exactly what I'm looking for. I turned on outlines because at lowest settings I couldn't see any enemies unless they were right in front of me.

I love the parachute, it makes me feel like i'm in a FPS Just Cause game. Also I fought my first armored enemy, and i just kept blasting him with the incendiary shotgun as he screamed and died. Next time don't join the fascist army. I would rather carry this than the weak rear end flamer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
ugh so many guns, not enough gun powder to make mods.

Also do ranks just increase your damage against enemies? Or is it something more nebulous.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aware posted:

I've just been using the same repeater rifle from the first island with a silencer and a mod to add 1 extra shot. Has gotten me through everything. Except helicopters. gently caress them.

I found mounted guns really gently caress them up seriously.

The Lone Badger posted:

Ranks add new stuff to shops, not sure if they do anything else.

Remember that mods are shared within a category. If you've built a rifle silencer then you can put it on as many rifles as you like, but will need a seperate shotgun silencer.

Really? I have the AK and the FAL and I had to make AP ammo for the AK. Or maybe I just thought I did.

I think Rank does something like reduce or increase damage. I tried to take on the 4 rank stuff on tutorial island when i was only rank 2 and got just destroyed. But at Rank 3 i was able to do it will some difficulty, but no more one hit means death.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are supply drop locations randomized? I've had 2 where they're way, way out of the way and only accessible by boat or chopper.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It says smoke bombs can help you take down tanks, but I've not had any luck. Is there a way to take down tanks without a rocket launcher, or just hiding until your nebelwerfer backpack recharges?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lone Badger posted:

EMP grenades, the lightning gun, running behind it and shooting out the engine.

Oh you can take it down that way, okay cool. I was hoping i could toss a smoke grenade inside if i got on top but no luck there. Though honestly its better just to sneak in, steal the tank and use it take over the checkpoint before they can get into it.

Also i going to assume that if you buy stuff from Jaun's shops, the chest its in is replaced by one of the more rarer crafting materials?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When i take over a vivro factory, Clara says to find a computer with info on it, and both i've take over, i've not found anything like that at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Digital Osmosis posted:

Those are optional objectives that you need to complete during the takeover. Once you've liberated the base it stops being something you can do. Not super clear or logical, but that's the way it is.

I never see a icon for it during the attack, so next time I'll hunt around inside before shooting everyone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kitty companion from the pre order stuff is pretty fun.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I think the icon might show up when you get close? I don't remember exactly, but yeah you need to do some up-close sneaking. You activate a thingy and then wait for a progress bar to fill up. I kind of like those optional objectives (there's at least one other type I ran across) because they break me of my usual "snipe from a safe distance away" or "sick a ghost cat on everyone I see" play styles.

Oh yer that's my normal plan, snipe as many as I can from a distance and then go in and mop up. I should add search around for the files before finishing off the last few people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

When a Bandido reward is a gun I already have it's been converted to 1 gunpowder and 1 of the Supremo materials.

Since chests are random I bet you get all the gear first before it starts giving you stuff for dupes.

Oh i had no idea they were random.

explosivo posted:

D: wat

I had no idea about this

Edit: Oh dang it's in that 14 tips video, that's awesome!

I am going to have to watch this video, seems like lots of hidden mechanics as others have mentioned.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=in8Lc1fA1NA

It’s a shame the full game wasn’t ever done due to lower the expected view counts. Still what’s here is gold.

But they are doing Far Cry 6!

I love Neebs Gaming and yea I wish they had done more FC5 stuff, they released their best clips for 6 just now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA9HGTskovQ

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You’re welcome! I also highly highly advise the subnatucia one.

Their survival series are always fantastic. 7days, ark, Conan, rust, all great.

Oh and their gta series. Basically the whole channel is great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah man am I enjoying this. I don’t know what it is but once I start.. I just can’t stop. Activity to activity just humming along blowing poo poo up and exploring weird places and spooky caves and stuff. Hours literally go by and I don’t even realize it.

So in Montenegro (the first area you go to on the mainland) is there a good grenade launcher to get? And how do I unlock these EMP rounds?

This video by the 14tips guy is about advanced weapons and uh… that sniper rifle that’s so easy to get looks absolutely game breaking. Honestly I feel like waiting to get something as OP as that in case it spoils the game.

https://youtu.be/VFQAdkt9aVA

This Gameranx video has locations of a few extremely.. way extremely overpowered gear. That rocket launcher my god.

https://youtu.be/BFrTJSXxzEM

The only issue I found with the sniper is that it will wake up an entire base after one shot if you're too close. So best to use it to take out as many people from as far away as you can, then move in to take out the rest.

I lol'd hard when Dani goes "Why doesn't anyone loving text? Is this the 90s?" after someone called her during a mission. Also one of the Speeches literally sounded like something that Tucker Carlson or some other soft boy nazi on tv would say "we must kill the dagger in our heart, the dagger called tolerance!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i got stuck while trying to get an FND chest where enemies just kept spawning it, and i could see them teleporting behind enemies that were already attacking me. Its really bad on the ocean.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I haven't found a blooper or any other kind of HE weapon yet, so no EMP rounds yet for me, but can you hijack a tank after knocking it out with one?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Because I was given this by my friend who worked on it I feel like every positive statement I make on it has to have *includes paid promotion on it.

Once you've used an emp on a tank, how do you get the crew out?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Duvel posted:

You have to jump on top of it and gives you the option, R3. Very short window imo and most the time it doesn't seem to pop up for me

Oh that's probably why I'm missing it then.

Oh my god the Actor for Dani runs a dog rescue called Peanut Mutter
https://www.narcity.com/toronto/toronto-dog-rescue-still-looking-for-someone-to-give-one-eyed-wink-a-forever-home
Look at that good amigo!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Digital Osmosis posted:

I was actually wondering why Dani is canonically a dog person. I chalked it up to "trying to give the protagonist some character traits" but an in-joke about the actor is pretty funny too.

Yup, that's pretty good.

Oh man I think I found Larry Blackmon from Cameo's codpiece.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You will run into guerrillas who you can talk to and they'll show you new attack locations. You will find fnd (gun) crates at those. Also you'll find maps that show you the locations of more there often. Look for a ! Icon on the map.

Also the restricted areas often have them as well so poke around, if your near a chest ot will show up on the mini map.

All of this is off tutorial island so it's best to get off there asap.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how this is a country, and Castillo is the "legitimate" ruler, so you have boot lickers that are not on your side as NPCs, especially if you're close to the capital you'll hear civilians going "You belong in an outcast camp!" and "I can't wait for Paradise, i wonder what it will be like".

I didn't play FC4 so I don't know if people thought Pagan was a cool dude, but I know in 3 and 5 there weren't people praising the villains, probably because in those the villains where more criminals than anything.

Also, I was wondering what people were saying when they said "Conyo" or something like that, and i asked around and someone who knew spanish said "oh you mean Cono(with one of those squiggles above the N), that means poo poo" which makes sense in all the contexts. I know almost no spanish, so that was a lesson.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How do you get the upgradable camps in the other provinces? I only have the one in Madrugada unlocked. I only have the shop and the scout unlocked, but i'd like to get some of the others.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lone Badger posted:

You should have a mission to go talk to each of the groups. Finishing the first mission in each chain unlocks that camp.

Ah cool. I though i might just be able to go there.

The marksman helmet is amazing, refunds any headshots, so you basically can never run out of sniper ammo or any really if you're a good enough shot.

God dammit, I hate those cut scenes where if you were actually in control, things would have been fine, but nope. i know it is for story, but i never like just doing something you could have done outside the cut scene.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 18, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BurritoJustice posted:

There's actually a strong bug with the marksman bandana and single action firearms. If you have a full magazine and get a headshot kill when it refunds the round it also skips the cycling animation. It only works with a full magazine so if you don't miss you can just fire as fast as you can click heads. Pretty goofy with the MBP .50 or M1887

That's pretty funny. But I don't want to drop my SKV. I was disappointed I couldn't put a silencer on the PPSH, go full soviet war fighter with the AKM to round out the 3 weapons.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was bleeding out on the ground at an enemy checkpoint with maybe one or two enemies left to go, screen starts to turn white and I suddenly stand up and cut to scene where the checkpoint is conquered. Lol guerrilas came through for the win!

Yea I noticed they're actually pretty effective. Once i was just trying to reload and they took the ambush without my help.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wear the marksman helm and pants, parkour kicks, doctor gloves and I forgot what shirt. The Fuego gloves are nice too because they basically make you immune to fire.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blind Rasputin posted:

Flying car: broke

Flying floating lawn chair: woke

Yea that thing is hilariously awesome. It took me a while to realize it has guns too. It's also really easy to land, because it takes up almost no space and it can land in water and not sink. Though it can be shot down by small arms.

Also, do not fly over Esperanza at all, as you will get your shut pushed in instantly.

For tanks, I found that you can emp them, run up to the hatch you get into to drive it while standing on the body of the tank, and you can either hijack or destroy it. Destroying it looks so brutal.

I used my UbiBux to buy the sniper rifle. I already have a good LMG that I got with the reward coins.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 19, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The worst Yaran Stories is the one with the chickens. loving hell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This treasure hunt involving following a bird around is incredibly annoying. The bird keeps getting killed by soldiers!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This happened to me on my first attempt. On my second attempt, it sorta "flew" around in circles an inch above the ground for a few minutes at the first waypoint before taking off and heading to where it's supposed to go. The rest of that hunt went as it was supposed to, thankfully.

Just Ubisoft things.

There kept being squads of soldiers at the first and land landing spots before getting on the jet ski. Eventually I got it, but it was way more annoying than it should have been.

I'm doing Treasure Hunts because i still haven't found the MG42 or M1911.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ZombyDog posted:

MG42 just doesn't feel as awesome as in previous games, but I kept mine modded for explosive rounds for dealing with choppers - that is until I learned about EMP rounds. The 1911 was my go to headpopper when I wanted to be all stealthy sneaky like.

I just want all tht guns, but yea I've modded the m60 with blast rounds for choppers and planes because unless they're really close and low, the blooper and bow is hard to hit with.

And oh God the location transitions are annoying as gently caress, especially when you're on the boarder of two zones and it's constantly giving you the message.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Yara story to get the Rooster Amigo is by far my favorite thing I've done so far.

Dani just talking to herself about the absurdity of the whole thing is the icing on the cake.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I was talking to my buddy at Ubisoft and i mentioned the complaints I've been seeing here, and he said that the spawning thing is being looked at. I literally died in a mission when one of the SpecOps Hummers spawned right on top of me.

Having the rooster as an amigo is hilarious because Dani is always acting scared around it. Also I always loved how Far Cry games have never be afraid to have legit supernatual stuff going on. I found a spooky house, but no aliens yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fast cars loose anus posted:

It does baffle me that the zone change thing taking your hud away got to retail. How did the testers not break down some devs door over this nonsense? Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to cover up YOUR MAP during a situation that by definition only happens when YOU'RE TRAVELING?

Also it's kind of pointless, because I can't think of a situation where you need to know if you've entered a new zone when you have a Mao you can set way points on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh cool what am i going to get at the end of this treasure hunt? Some of the gear I'm missing? A unique weapon? Oh Sumpremo Bond. thanks not like i have like 40 of them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there ever any explanation of what is an Outcast and what makes a True Yaran? Fascist ideologies need an internal group to project all the nations problems on and scapgoat, and i needs to be specific enough that a board section of the population can know it and know they're not part of it. It can't just be the poor, or orphans or whatever, because again, you need to have poor people that you can trick to think they have a chance when all those nasty unwanted people are gone. Also to feed into your military machine, because what are you going to do, send the rich peoples kids to die?

Also i'm kind of sad that i beelined right to the guns because it means I just have the best ones and so i have no reason to not use the best of them. Oh well, I still can't find the drat Mg42 or the regular multiple grenade launcher.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lone Badger posted:

True Yarans support Castillo and his plan to build Paradise. Fake Yarans do not. It's as simple as that.

I guess I shouldn't of expected it to be a deep understanding of Fascist Ideologies and how they create scapegoats out of the more vulnerable groups in a society. But as I said earlier in the thread, some of the stuff that Castillo says in the recorded speeches sound like they would be something Tucker Carlson would say.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You know the more I think about it, the peggies strike me not solely as borrowing from David Koresh, but (and this is obvious once you watch a couple minutes of Wild Wild Country on Netflix), but honestly I think a large part is also based on the Rajneeshees in Oregon in the early and mid 1980s.

Oh man i never thought about that, but yea they really are.

Mandrel posted:

it sucks. pretty, great map, and satisfying shooting mechanics but basically every other part of the game blows. its story is kind of retroactively redeemed by New Dawn but I still don't know if I'll ever go back to it

New Dawn is great though, its a silent protagonist as well but one who still manages to have a lot of character and agency in the story.

the only Far Crys I still haven't finished are 4 and Primal, booted up 4 last night and still just really difficult to get engaged with. maybe I should just start it over so I'm less lost with the story, apparently I'm only like 10 hours in somehow despite having the game since it came out

I have to admit, the villains in 5 are so hateable its really satisfying to take them out. Especially the Yes Brother. gently caress that guy, he's got it all figured out, and gives you big speeches about it. Too bad you shoot down his plane and not shoot him in the face like the Combat Bro. I get the feeling 6 has that, but i've spent all my time doing side stuff that I have barely scratched the surface of the story.

The funny thing about New Dawn is when you meet the FC5 character, they're still silent.

I did one of the deploy missions last night, going around in the Not Jurassic Park and it wasn't that fun. Mostly because it has the "wait here for your pickup while enemies endlessly spawn" thing. All for only 150 special bux.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was hoping some of the missions would be assassinations or sabotage, not just "get the chemical". Maybe when the others are released?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I know it's the craziest thing, how when viewing the game through that lens, it really lines up quite nicely. Especially bliss and their uses of Haldol on the homeless (who they also bused in) along with bioterror attacks.

They totally had people sneeze on salad bars for a bio attack.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

First time I played I destroyed his plane, he ejected and pulled his parachute, then I circled back around and shot him while he was parachuting and he fell about 2000 feet onto pavement. Still wasn't really dead because he has plot armor so he can monologue to you one last time in his dying cutscene but his death was more engaging than the other siblings.

I shot his plane down and then when I was crashing, suddenly it jumped into the cut scene. Even the combat bro who i sniped right in the face had to give me the cut scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone else getting a black screen in the PC version after updating? It was perfectly fine before it, but after updating it launches into a black screen and fails to get any further.

My issue is i can't get rid of a "LOW VRAM WARNING!". Yea of course i have that, i only have a 970 but try to get a new video card right now?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

And doorknobs and urinal handles.

No one said you had to be conventional for a bio attack. lol

Every time you don't wash your hands after going to the bathroom you are preforming a bio attack.