Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I quite like those Inquisitors. Are they usable in anything in the main game? Cities of Sigmar, I’d guess, but I still have basically zero knowledge about AoS in a practical sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I did some Stormcast, with the only cool stormhost.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Friday night, posting tiny plastic toys on a dead forum in a thread for a game I still haven't played. That might change soon, at least.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm not usually the biggest stormcast fan but these look phenomenal!

Thanks. TBF Stormcast don't do a lot for me either, but the Anvils are pretty cool and at least the newer sculpts aren't as lumpy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

So this isn't a pointless crosspost most of y'all have seen anyway, I was surprised to discover recently a couple of the newer 40k novels are kinda decent. Is there anything comparable to The Infinite and the Divine out there for the AoS books?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I've got a goodly chunk of it, and it's alright. Background's a little repeated, a little fresh. I think Mors did a full rundown in the F&F thread a while back. Plays okay; I dunno if I'd buy the whole series at full price, but it's a no-brainer if you can get it in a bundle.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Not that I don't believe that would happen, but in a practical sense, how the gently caress do you lose an injection mold when the entirety of your production is done in-house? They're hundreds of pounds of steel the size of a manhole cover for even the tiny ones.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Obligatory cross-post.

The local AoS pickup night got shitcanned, apparently. I'd kinda like to play this game I dropped all this cash on at some point, y'know?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Courtesy list and a pack of colorful tiny stickers to give your dudes impromptu hats should be all the what-you-see coverage ever required in any minis tournament. My squad leader is wearing the Great Job Star of Valor, page two, third from the top.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'd pin it with a chunk of paperclip or just plastic cement the thing back together. If it's cured properly, it's fused, not just glued, so you'd have to seriously put some torque on it to break it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I hope this answers any outstanding questions.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I mean, it's a cute model and all, but that's way too few books to be a lawyer.

Maybe he takes just his indices into combat?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Crossposting yet more Anvils.

The good news is I'm almost done, just a half-dozen Praetors and Annihilators each, then I have to figure out how to paint my dragons and I'll have actually finished an army. For now, I guess.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Isn't that pretty much what Cities of Sigmar is anyway?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Nah, Order makes sense as a group of weakly-aligned polities united only by their opposition to Chaos. Playing up how shaky their cooperation is would probably be a good idea. Chaos and Death have their own respective bosses, so they're fine.

Destruction may as well be "and the rest."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I got to see stormcast dragon fliers in action, along with Yndrasta doing her thing, and now I covet herohammer and big stupid monsters.

SCE's got the herohammer part down, and obviously the flying and walking reptiles. What else is good for focusing on heroes and monsters?

I've been eyeballing Avengorii for both monster mashing and graveyard smashing, and I'm not super hot on Sons.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Stormcast are horrid for herohammer (you want combined arms lists

Can you elaborate on this? I'm coming from a position of pretty profound ignorance and more background is always good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That is super helpful, thank you!

Are lackluster SC heroes a function of how many Warcry/Underworlds/etc models they had to fill out, an artifact of first edition legacy stuff, or just random slipups on GWs part?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I think it's very considerate of Slaanesh to have their minions cover up one boob, so you know they're not too horny.

"gently caress you, you have to hit me" is always a fun ability and I'd like to see equivalents elsewhere.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Obligatory crossposting continues.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I would love Brets if for no other reason than to make some FEC conversions out of them that finally do the faction concept justice.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, the big flaw with AoS lore is the first edition garbage it's saddled with, like Sigmarite Sigmarabulum Sigmarons and the rest of the noun verbers, and not focusing on the whacky poo poo like of a group of living continents trying to eat each other like the ravenous beasts they are.

gently caress Tom Kirby, is I guess what I'm getting at.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I've actually gotten to play lately, and I've been trying to take some lessons from each game. I've been playing Stormcast, on account of cheap Dominion boxes, and one of my first lessons was I think I still want to do a Skaven army in my heart of hearts, much as I like the Anvils.

In no particular order:

Stormcast as I've been building them (lots of Vindictors and other foot soldiers) are fantastically durable, and have trouble dishing out damage at a sustainable rate. There are exceptions like a couple of hero units and Annihilators, which are rapidly becoming my favorite unit, as it'll be a cold day in hell before I play anything but a Scions list. While Annis can absolutely crush on their entry turn, they should be treated as a one-and-done, and any extra use you get out of them is a nice bonus, not something to count on.

I really want to run a dragon list, just so I have a big impressive model or five on the table. It's a terrible idea this season, but that's not gonna stop me.

Mobility is a major shortfall for Stormcast. If you're up against a mobile opponent yourself, you need to strongly consider the teleport prayer, 'cause even hoofing it at a full run isn't going to do a lot for you to reposition your foot soldiers once you've set them in place.

That said, dropping a couple of Vindictors on a point is a shockingly cost-effective way to hold a point against some long odds. Also, A) don't get confused with Infinity and drop your dudes on your half of the table, that's stupid, and B) don't drop everybody at once. The more units you keep in reserve in the clouds, the more your opponent has to think about what you might do to them with that Imperitant-powered close drop.

I need more damage, period. A Judicator should probably be in my future.

God do I want to do a Skaven army with all kinds of Skryre random garbage and big dumb monsters.

Unrelated to any lessons learned, do y'all have any favorite AoS-focused podcasts? I got the need for content now.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I don't think I want to start a Lizardmen army, but gosh I sure do want to paint some of them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Isn't Settra a stormcast now, or some other ridiculous nonsense? I know Gelt is something like Balthasariusmar Siggelt, Chuckie Francis is probably Celestant Prime, and I think they spilled the beans on somebody else, too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

There's a reference in one book to a Stormcast named Settrus, who is implied to be Settra. The same author later did a story where Mannfred comes face to face with Settrus, is briefly terrified when he hears the name, and then is like 'oh, you're just fake, if you were real I'd already be dead' and kills the guy. The implication is Sigmar just named a guy that to freak old foes out.

Sigmar doing the "pigs 1, 2, and 4" gag just to gently caress with Mannfred definitely ratchets up my respect for the guy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Seems like a relevant time to ask: how do SBG play? I haven't run into any of them yet. Apart from throwing zombie hordes at your opponent, they seem kinda weirdly squishy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Now that I've finished my dragon, I can't wait to be underwhelmed by his performance on the table.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

This week's object lesson is that you can still shoot while your units are in melee, which would have gone a ways to making my Karazai way more useful. Oh well.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Anybody have any favorite tutorials for piloting big monsters around the table? I'm still wrestling with my SCE dragon and the related decision making.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I would generally agree with that, but both priority and battalions would be better if battalions were more strict, gave you their ability, and were each one drop.

Death to battle regiment.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

MCPeePants posted:

Can someone explain the feel of playing AoS to me? I've been digging into the rules this weekend, but I'm having difficulty figuring out the kind of gameplay you actually engage with. Threat ranges and lethality seem pretty high, so it doesn't strike me as being about carefully managing unit positions to control board space. There's definitely lots of risk and resource management, and all the faction and model special rules must mean armies play wildly differently. Mechanically, what are your favourite elements? I generally come at games competitively, under the assumption that everyone is doing their best to win.

AOS is absolutely about maneuvering. I played a game just this weekend where I got totally outmaneuvered, despite having first turn and preferable deployment. I couldn't bring my pieces to bear to do anything to my opponent's army, while he did an amazing job of zoning me out and preventing me from getting any kind of favorable drop on him. I took an early lead, but because he was smarter about where he came out onto the field, he could pick apart my army at his convenience while racking up his choice of tactics. I think I lifted maybe three of his models total to losing every model in my army at bottom of the fifth, and it was entirely a factor of how we each were moving around the board and trying to counter-play each other.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

That's a fine yellow.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Cross posting from the minis thread.

Hell yeah.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

No Skaven? Dead game

Hell, yeah...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thirty year old plastic, unfortunately. I looked it up and wish I hadn't. Time comes for us all.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I think I'm about done with Karazai. He's fine to push around, but ultimately too fragile even with some Praetors tagging along.

What fits a good 550-point hole in SCE that hits hard? I've been looking at the chariot or maybe bird cavalry, but I fear the ultimate answer is "just take Stormdrakes."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Reinforced fulminators or evocators on dracolines will cost you 480 pts and they will bring more hurt than stormdrakes. Find another 30 pts and grab battlemage of ghur

Neat, thanks. I've been eyeballing the mounted Evos for a bit, so it's nice to have some reassurance.

Kinda related, are the Palladors any good? I like their goofy bird mounts, but they seem kinda lackluster if I can already drop my whole army like their teleport.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Guess I picked a good time to get into S2D.

On that note, anybody have any favorite S2D army schemes that aren't black and gold?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Deleter posted:

Ape of Sigmar

Mandrillassed Bonoboators
Silverback Gorillators
Oranguard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

How strange that a UK product would be affected by a lack of vital poles.