Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I understand I'm not the first to point it out, but, seriously, how hard is it to pay someone to do a bit of quality control for your very expensive box of plastic?

Edit: Just to avoid any misunderstanding, I'm talking about the 3D model render in the manual where someone made a mistake of rendering both weapon options at the same time and somehow that never got caught all the way to the printer.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Ogroid Theridon kit is so good, just a big, solid hunk of plastic that fits together perfectly. One of the best from games-workshop that I've assembled so far. I understand why they want to include it in so many value boxes now.

Just wish it wasn't a bunch of drat ugly bull dudes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

After painting up the ten chaos warriors and moving on to chosen, I'm shocked. It's's kind of wild how the Chosen have less variety in detail and textures. The warriors also solved the giant shoulder pad problem by putting their capes over them.

The 'eavy metal team had to put in some work doing weathering to give all those flat panels on the Chosen extra details, and painting the trim in like three colors or something.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

1" range so you won't be wiping out double ranked units but good against models with high wounds I assume?

Or is the range only used for attacking from the 2nd rank?

Edit: Also just looked up inches to cm conversion and realized why 25mm bases were a thing.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 15, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Darkoath Chieftan is there for you, unless you want to go into the fyreslayer territory.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sigh, do I need another army box?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's got to be at least 5 other chaos sorcerer models that games-workshop is selling, but they're in boxes that don't have "chaos sorcerer lord" written on them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's some high pitched squeak/squeal starting at 7 seconds. But the sprue for skaven leaked already, it's only a question of how many new models are they getting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Eternus is kind of a chaos stormcast already isn't he?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I like Diederick though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Welp, time to give chaos players more centerpiece models.

I'll gladly accept.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Think of it as an adepticon stream preview.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Does age of sigmar have secondaries and tactical objectives?
They're called battle tactics and grand strategy, and yeah it does.

Also why wouldn't more than one unit be able to charge into melee in 40K? There's wacky tournament strats involve charging two units into one and then consolidating them into another one, extending the potential movement and fighting range of one of your units that charged.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 15, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Me looking at boxes of chaos warriors, chosen, and knights lying in the closet.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

What do you mean by holistic block?
A well rounded looking army instead of 5 boxes of the same unit.

Also they already showed the combat patrols for Flesh-Eater Courts and Cities of Sigmar

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/12/cities-of-sigmar-and-flesh-eater-courts-bolster-their-ranks-with-new-spearhead-boxes/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

“More weird little guys” seems to be a consistent thing for AoS the past few months, so

Skaven or Chorfs?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Winklebottom posted:

I feel like the Death factions in particular have a severe lack of weird little guys. Hopefully OBR

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Chaos owns the conan aesthetic now, please pick up the new army box on the right.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

To be fair Archeon is the writers pet character, the writer being Be'lakor.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Going by what they're doing with 40K, they don't need to release books to release rules anymore. Maybe.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

More like year of chaos, lets go chaos, love da dark gods.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

"“This means that you can learn and play games with the Core Rules, and then when you need them you can go on to learn the Advanced Rules. You can even just leave them out completely if you want – though some battlepacks will require them. It’s all part of making the game that existing players love more accessible to newer players.”

So same as 40K 10th edition except they moved terrain into a separate PDF document or something.

quote:

“Modularity is born from the idea that Warhammer Age of Sigmar is much more than just a game,” continues Matt, the man in charge of the rules. “It’s essentially a platform that supports many types of games. People play Warhammer Age of Sigmar as a narrative experience, a competitive tournament game, at sizes ranging from huge mega battles with hundreds of miniatures to smaller format games like Spearhead, and everything in between.

And people are going to chose play the one game they see everyone else play on youtube.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 28, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume because like combat patrol all of that stuff will be written into your army specific spearhead rules. So they will only exist within the spearhead PDF file and you don't need to see them anywhere else, and also you won't need to know any of the army specific mechanics that exist outside of it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They give examples of how they expect people to combine the rules, and guess what, they expect almost every game to use all of the rules. The modular thing has to be an idea cooked up by someone in marketing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Desfore posted:

I guess all the management stuff is technically outside the Gameplay... But it changes your army roster. :shrug:

Yes, you do all your army building before you play the game so it's not part of the gameplay.

Unless you're playing the spearhead which has a pre-built army for you, so you don't need all of the other modules at all.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm being overly negative here, but mainly because this has been my experience of trying to pick up 40K in the past half a year.

Trying to learn the game and figure out how everything works felt to me like a bunch of the rules were hidden and I had to go look in three or four different places to find everything I needed to get a complete set of rules for the game. It didn't feel like the rest of the stuff was optional, it felt like key parts of the game were straight up missing and I had no idea why.

The core rules only have one very limited game type in them, and it's never played anyway.

So this whole modular thing seems like more of the same with empty marketing spin on top of it. It would be nice to see that games-workshop learned from the launch of 40K 10th edition and improved on it, but I personally don't have that expectation.

Edit2: I'm not even saying it's going to be bad, I just don't think it's going to make all your wishes and dreams come true like some people are hyping it up to be. I'm sure the game will still be good as a 2000 point army vs army game that everyone played for years already.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 28, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So, spearhead?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's a lot of support for age of sigmar on table top simulator, you could try 3rd edition without putting up any money.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hmmm, the ugly gold armor had more personality than this. Still keeping on the pauldrons and shield doesn't help either. I'm not convinced when people say this is a huge improvement over the original main color scheme.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It needs more color, it needs something.

This looks better, at least colors wise, to me

Maybe could have painted the knees in the blue and gold too or something.

Maybe it looks better as a whole unit of these guys and they just picked the most unfortunate model to show it off.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume it's these guys, that the community post seems to emphasize with this composition?

AnEdgelord posted:

Edit: also the paint scheme is a LOT better than the gaudy gold Hammers Scheme, I genuinely don't get the idea this looks worse in any way
Gaudy is exactly why it's better, it at least has color to it instead of nothing.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well to each their own I guess, art is subjective.

I'd like to see the rest of the unit that this model is from though. The art for Hallowed knights and some paint models look much better than this one, I just don't get why they picked such a bland looking one for their first reveal.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Definitely fits the 40mm base unlike the other two.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

As mentioned before

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause I like reposting stuff I see, some cool Blanche AoS concept art.

GhastlyBizness posted:

They’re crying out for something like that, something big and lumbering with a howdah/ballista on top would really fit their ancient vibes. Also not something you see in other Death armies tbh.

RE: the Blanche art, what’s almost surprising is how 1:1 some of the AoS minis are from the sketches. The Darkoath guy, the kharadron, Skaggrot.

games-workshop outright translates John Blanche's art into figures sometimes.

It's a matter of how close they manage to get.

Happens in 40K for example with

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Maybe they're trying to make regiments of renown more of a thing?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You can still use their models to add variety to the new chaos marauders.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It didn't sound like anyone played Ravagers all that much and having a coherent army instead of 10 different bespoke warcry squads seems like it would be better to play with for everyone involved.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Renaming wounds to health but then keeping health and damage the model taken as separate terms, what are you even doing? Was making things simpler not the point here?

Also you'd think a critical bit of gameplay information like a ward save would get a big bar up top like in 40K instead of being hidden somewhere at the bottom among the keywords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Each player gets four command points at the start of the battle round to spend over the course of that entire round. Any command points you haven’t spent by the end of the battle round are gone forever, so there’s no way of hoarding them.

This is an interesting one, as a beginner 40K player I have trouble using up my command points because I either forget to use them or can't think of a good use for them.