Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I guess I can understand Be'lakor getting a point change, but Kragnos just released not even a full month ago. And got a hefty point cut, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, good news for them - I've heard a couple people say AoS 3.0 is getting into the territory of 40K-lite now, with the changes. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if it is, I don't know how I feel about that. I like the two sharing a core, but I'm not at all keen on playing Warhammer: Age of 40K and only really seeing a change in army types (yes, I know it's not at that point - just saying I like the differentiation.)

They're definitely sharing design elements between the two games, but AoS still has unique elements, from the new Monster & Hero actions, to the way CP is gonna be handled. I think it's not a dumb idea to keep the two games relatively close in terms of basic gameplay rules, but I'm with you that it shouldn't devolve to the point where it's a choice of fantasy/sci-fi skin on top of the same game. Although... it might be fun to just gently caress around running an AoS army against a 40K army. Minus the shooting.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Floppychop posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/25/designers-notes-how-points-changes-make-the-new-edition-more-balanced-than-ever/

So if they're is having points only being granular "by a factor of 5" why bother having 5 points be the smallest increment? Why not just divide everything by 5 and have one point be the smallest increment?

This was one of their goals with the 40K 9e update: The smallest a unit could cost was 5, and everything else was updated to end in a 0 or 5. One exception was some weapon options, I think could still cost 1 or 2 points in some cases. But, they're slowly chipping away at that ideal, as they need to fine tune the balance. I think the idea is nice, making the numbers simpler, and it makes for an okay refresh point, but when it comes to actively balancing dozens of army, 5 points (multiplied per model) becomes too large of a tuning knob after a while.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I've seen some discussion about Faction rules in 3.0, and I haven't found any good answers for this: How does Legion of the First Prince work in 3.0? The rule says the only units you can include must have the Chaos Daemon keyword, not that all daemons become free to use (cause 2.0 Grand Alliances didn't care about that). Only after you pick them, would they technically gain the "Legion of the First Prince" keyword. So, since Legion of the First Prince doesn't have a battletome list of units, and there's no rule like "you can use units from the Khorne/Slaanesh/etc Faction," It seems like RAW, this shouldn't work anymore in 3.0

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Honestly, it's probably no more complicated than they never made a hard marketing push in the US. I'm sure there were magazine ads and advertisements in game shops, but if you're completely outside the tabletop gaming space that stuff's never gonna reach you. Someone outside the hobby is more likely to accidentally walk into a Games Workshop, mistaking it for a GameStop. The best advertisement GW's ever done is licensing the Dawn of War & Total Warhammer games (DoW is how I discovered Warhammer).

Desfore fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 2, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Well, they fixed Legion of the First Prince, in the clunkiest way possible. The rule now says "if you choose this faction, Be’lakor and units with the
Daemon keyword in Battletome: Blades of Khorne, Battletome: Disciples of Tzeentch, Battletome: Maggotkin of Nurgle, Battletome: Hedonites of Slaanesh and Battletome: Slaves to Darkness, can be part of your army." With how the core rules are set up, I think this is the best way they could have re-written this rule, but man is that silly having to list each book individually.

The phrasing on some of the Q&A's:
"Q: Was it intended for Karanak not to be a Leader?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the Daemon keyword missing from the Valkia the Bloody and Mighty Skullcrushers warscrolls?
A: No, it was omitted deliberately."

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 2, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Thank God they added extra clarification to Pink Horrors: "Iridescent Horrors, Pink Horrors and Blue Horrors that flee cannot Split and Split Again. This ability allows the number of models in this unit to exceed its maximum size." Now everyone can shut up about "Fleeing models don't count as slain!"

edit: Wait, that'll still pop up when people use Rally. gently caress. At least you can use this errata to point out "these models don't count"

Desfore fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 2, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Talas posted:

The rumors said that Nurgle is one of the first battletomes, so I'm guessing that.

That wouldn’t surprise me, Nurgle’s always been a big seller, and they’ve been using the same book for a while. Still would’ve liked Skaven to be the surprise chaos pick, but I hope they’re planning a larger updates for them soon. Someday it’ll happen…

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Pluses to your save affect the rend score before the +1 cap is invoked. So, if you were hit by -1, but had for example, a modified +3 save: the rend would reduce it to a +2 effect, then the cap kicks in, and you get the +1 bonus to your save. The cap only limits the final bonus you'd get added/subtracted from the dice roll, all the effects up until that point are calculated together normally.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 12, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Dreylad posted:

If I put a model in the freezer will all the super glue connections break or just the ones I try to break?

All the super glue will become fragile, but you would still have to break the bonds. So, if you freeze it, the model will hang together, but it won't be as solid as it was before.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Booyah- posted:

this is what i've heard from my friend who plays both orcs and orks, he loves the new models but doesn't like that they are a different aesthetic and will stand out from the rest of his stuff.

That's kinda where I'm at. I like the division in the Ork Warclans, and it reflecting a bit in the models, but for me the Kruleboyz lean a bit too far away from the rest of the Orkz. I think it's a mix of all the ragged clothes and the sharp faces, makes everything feel very goblin-y.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm hoping mono-faction lists are still strong enough that it's not an issue, because a mixture of Ironjawz, Kruleboyz, and Savage Orruks would look like a complete clown show on the table.

I think Big Waaagh's will look fine, if you keep the clans thematically separated. Like, limiting the Kruleboyz to the ranged units, while the Ironjawz & Savage orks are the infantry and boar cavalry could be an okay mix. If you start mixing the Gutrippa's into the infantry for example, I think that's when you start feeling the odd man out of the three factions. But, I haven't seen any pics so far of combined armies or trying to paint them cohesively, so this is mostly just me hoping.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 19, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

the best part is that it is bound to the material plane by his desire to show it off

Regardless of 40K or AoS, Orkz iz best.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm thinking of selling my old Tomb King's army and could use some advice:

A) Is there any demand for this stuff anymore?
B) If so, could anyone help me figure out how to price it? I poked around on ebay and there wasn't much on there, which either indicates it's rare or no one gives a poo poo about Tomb Kings anymore (if they ever did).

The Necrosphinxes are very high demand, and I'm not 100% sure, but I feel the Casket of Souls should fetch a good amount too. Depending on how you decide to sell it (army or split), I would definitely recommend at least selling those units separate from the rest.

Edit: Hell, I'm tempted to pick em up, myself :shepspends:

Desfore fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 31, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

If you do actually want it, let me know. I'd much rather sell to a goon at a fair price than deal with those doofuses on facebook.

knight of sloth at gmail dot com

Sent you an offer.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Take care of yourself

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

quote:

Q: The Predator’s Domain grand strategy states ‘When the battle ends, you complete this grand strategy if you control more terrain features than your opponent.’ When do I check for control of terrain features for this grand strategy?
A: When the battle ends.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Oh jeez Horrors no longer count as taking actual casualties until a brimstone dies.

edit: oh wow the unit's changed a lot.

Icons no longer bring back models but now each one in the unit grants a fate point on 3+. Musician grants a +1 to save instead of morale stuff. No to hit bonuses for size or from spellcasting anymore (hence the icon change) so they're stuck with the basic +5/+4/D1 magical flames profile.

Petty Vengeance triggers on a lower roll per horror type. A new wrinkle as written is splitting seems to be mandatory now?

edit 2: nothing else quite as drastic so far. Also they updated a bunch of the legends warscrolls with Cities of Sigmar tags :unsmith:

The way it's written, it would make splitting mandatory if you pick the 'Split and Split again' ability for the unit. but, there's no clause or anything to sidestep the situation if you run out of blue/brimstone models or space to set them up. You can assume the model is destroyed, but what does that mean for considering it "Slain" or not... that will probably need another FAQ...

One upside, since pinks and blues don't count as dying, you don't have to take Battleshock til you're down to Brimstones.

Edit: Also, they can't be wizards anymore?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 27, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

I am not a fan of doing rules updates in white dwarves.

I am even less of a fan of them reintroducing faction battalions. You guys pulled that poo poo two months ago, and everybody liked it. You couldn't balance batallions. What even is the point of bringing them back?

I'm even less of a fan of them bringing faction specific battle tactics and grand strategies. Right now everyone has access to the same set, so you are aware of what the other guy can do and this enables counterplay. There is no way you can be aware of the faction specific tactics for every faction.

3.0 removed a lot of bloat that was detrimental to the game, it is so weird to see them turn around and reintroduce it.

That just seems like GW's MO this edition cycle. The same thing happened in 40K; launched with simple generic rules for everyone, then with the first codex releases, armies got custom secondary objectives, and immediately threw the game off balance (no small part due to Marine's Oaths of Moment being so good). I am a little surprised to see them bringing back custom battalions so quickly, though. They even specify them as "Core battalions," so there's no 'narrative only' type way of segmenting them off.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 31, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

They also nerfed Cogs, and I'm assuming fixed Wyldwoods since the Sylvaneth FAQ is updated, but I don't know enough to notice what changed. Granted, some of these should've been caught before publication, but I'm impressed on the turn-around time on the update nonetheless.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 3, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

After the wolf rider grots, I did find it weird that there weren't any spider grots until now, maybe. Or they finally introduce more dark elves, and they just turn out to be Driders.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

huh, especially considering that they're not valid for matched play I'm surprised that warscroll battalions are still a thing in the new books.

I mean, it takes basically no effort to whip a couple new ones up and copy previous ones over. And now that they don't have to care about matched play, they don't even need to spend whatever couple of minutes they used to "balancing" them.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

That Troglodon conversion at the end is pretty genius

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Randalor posted:

1) Have they said if Lizardmen/Seraphon will be in it?

I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that AoS armies that still have a sizable amount of WFB models being produced would be picked for Old World, but as of right now they haven't given much detail beyond "It's not just a reprint of 8th edition."

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

6 limbs, not a spider.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

That terrain is really sick. The modular conveyor belt is an amazing idea. And all the barbarians are really good sculpts, especially Mr. Heroquest.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Had they traded out the Bone Catapult for the "Dude sitting in the Walking Leg Chair," that OBR box would've been the perfect "Not gonna play this army, but I love all these models" box for me.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

It's a Christmas Miracle!

Also, I'm sure everyone super called the fact that Beast Radukar was totally intended to be an expansion before everything got hosed, but it's fun to see that come to fruition.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

It took me way too long after looking at those models to remember Warcry and Underworlds are different games. I kept thinking "Where's the shadow guy with the really long cape?"

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Between updating Skaven and making more Sylvaneth models... I can't blame them for choosing Sylvaneth, I'm sure they sell great. But, Skaven really needs some love.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

They really like this picture of the coin...

Edit: the "G" in those Sigmar banners makes me think of Goosebumps

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 5, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Well, AoS always tends to play second fiddle to 40K. They could have shown more from the StD models coming up; the same screenshots that leaked the Daemon Prince showed new Chaos warriors (I think), and a mounted Chaos Lord character.

But, I don't think the 40K stream had THAT much more than this one. They had a bunch of new chaos models (the DP you can use in AoS as well) along with announcing the CSM & eventually WE codices, the squat Trike, and talk about Chapter approved. And Warhammer Plus

Desfore fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 5, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

We are absolutely gonna need a FAQ about if you can teleport to the Lady of Vines. I’m absolutely certain you’re supposed to be able to but within 6” rather than 9” but a friend insists you can’t because once a model leaves the table to teleport they are no longer in play and thus no longer consider her a Wyldwood.

From the way the rule is worded on Lady of Vines, she’s only treated as an Awakened Wildwood if the unit is already within 6” of her. So, she wouldn’t be targetable as a valid destination to begin with. So, I think they’ll be able to teleport away from her, but not TO her.

Edit: actually, the rule says “units within 6” of the LoV are treated as being within 6” of Awakened Wildwoods.” But, the LoV isn’t being treated as an Awakened Woods, the units around her simply consider themselves to be within 6” of a Wildwood. So, the area around the LoV would never be a legal destination for the teleport because she’s never considered a Wildwood, she just… projects a “near a Wildwood” aura to nearby units? I think you’d still be able to teleport away, because you’re “considered to be within 6” of a wildwood” under her effect, but… When they first showed off her ability, I also imagined we’d be teleporting units to her. Thats a bit of a disappointment.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 27, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I'm glad to see they're finally coming through with the promise of CC expansions, but this is such a janky release, it's almost hilarious. Based off the Blackstone Fortress expansions, I kinda wonder if this was originally going to be the content of multiple expansions, complete with miniatures, but now that the models are released they simply combined all the paper content they would have released in separate boxes... If they wanted to include every miniature listed in the article, that would set the box price at over £120 alone (after the price increase), so there's no way they originally planned all that to be in one box.

I just wonder if this is all the expansion content Cursed City is going to get. The article is a bit vague, it doesn't frame it as "THE expansion for Cursed City," but it's also not saying "the first, with more to come." Since BSF only had four(?) expansions, not counting White Dwarf supplements, depending on the amount of generic Gravelord stuff needed to fully fill out the encounters, I could kinda see this stuff filling out 3~4 expansion boxes, with the models. The only thing missing from the BSF comparison would be new playable characters. They have the Witchhunter duo, but since those are also already released, I figure they would've just slipped those rules into this box together with the bosses, so... Maybe there will be a little more content after this?

I really hope in a decade we get some designer interview about how much of a garbage fire this project was behind the scenes.

Edit: Thinking about how scarce the BSF expansions ended up, if they don't discontinue this box after one printing, this might actually be a better way to handle expansions in the long-term, since the models are permanent additions to the faction. As long as they don't charge something stupidly expensive for all this paper...

Desfore fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 4, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

So, unless the rules changed in 3rd edition and I'm forgetting it, as long as the role doesn't specify the equipment loadout the model has to use, you can make a banner bearer or musician a champion. It's more like... the rules don't say you CAN'T put multiple roles on a model, so as long as nothing in the unit composition or equipment is illegal, you can technically do it.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I don't like the way they paint the Verdigris on a lot of these models, but this mount has it extreme. The armor plates seem way too polished in comparison to how bright and saturated the verdigris is in the recesses. They probably can't paint it too weathered for the promo, but to me it reads as if someone's been cleaning the armor, but doing a half-assed job getting into the creases. And why is the mount's armor old and weathered, but his armor is pristine?

edit: I just noticed he has several horns on the sides of his helmet (not just the horn mohawk), and 3 nipple spikes. This is an incredibly busy model.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 5, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Hoo boy, I was a bit worried they wouldn't bring back Tomb Kings when they said not every OG faction will be supported. But that one pic just made my day! (and relief that the handful of models I got from eBay aren't gonna be wasting away on a shelf forever)

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/16/sunday-preview-battle-beneath-the-gnarlwood-in-a-new-season-of-warhammer-underworlds

Next weekend sees pre-orders the new season of Underworlds, a bunch of previous warbands getting re-released without cards.
And the Son of Behemat battletome. But only for Japan.

Just in time for me to have ordered Nethermaze, they put the models on sale separately… Ah well, I guess I needed to get the actual game material at some point.

If they’re going to bring back older teams without cards, they could’ve gone further back than last season (edition? I dunno how many ‘seasons’ these models actually comprise). Hell, if they don’t need to worry about cards, they could do entire season packs with every team included in one box. It’ll probably sell like poo poo, aside from weirdo completionists that skipped over Underworlds for Warcry until now…

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Huh... this announcement actually disappoints me a bit. It's so close to the release of the last expansion, people are still sour over having to buy the separate mini's, and now they're gearing up to do it again already? And these aren't even new SBG minis, these are old Grave Guard & Wight King models. And, unless they're for some reason holding this back as a surprise, no new heroes.

If the first box was what they originally had planned for expansion content, this feels like (just first impression) what they struggled to put together during COVID restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also just a bit odd that the whole model range so far is built around night goblins and cave troggs and now we're just gonna have one random unit of classic WHFB style goblins. The sculpts are great, though! They've also been knocking it out of the park lately with the new tomes so I'm almost certainly just mentioning stuff that they've already addressed in the new rules.

That was kinda my first takeaway as well. When I looked at the Snarlfang Underworld warband, I always figured that this was a unique pack of Goblins that scrounged together their own weapons & armor, and tamed (or stole) these wolves to become a roving pack of bandits. But, apparently they're just 3 Goblins from this wolf-rider tribe, and it turns out they're not anything special or unique at all. Plus, if GW wants to throw another subfaction into Gitz, they really need to make some changes to how mixing & matching works in the new codex.