Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's nice to just have the new rules again. Looking forward to seeing what changes the Generals Handbook brings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly there are a lot of double turn negation in the rules now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Furism posted:

Wait, you have to subscribe to the newsletter to get the core rules download?

You can also just not check the box.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've been told AoS (or its attached RPGs) gives some actual depictions of the Chaos gods' positive aspects, in contrast to 40k. I don't play, so I don't know, but is that true and if so where do I go find it?

For the most part their positive aspects have been surpassed by their negative aspects. Their worshipers may have more nuance and view their patron with positive features. But the Chaos Gods have long been overtaken by their worse natures.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Genghis Cohen posted:

I agree and I think it's mostly an issue with the framing of all these stories. Every rulebook/codex/battletome has always had some little bit where they mention that the Chaos gods have positive aspects, e.g. Khorne can embody martial honour and Tzeentch hope and ambition. But ultimately they're the bad guys of the setting and they need to be cast as threatening and dark. So the metaphysical aspects tend to get lost under a wave of horrible evilness.

Khorne is mentioned in recent AoS materials as not really caring about honour. Some Cultures worshiping him or one of his aspects may say he is honourable and believe it, but the actual god is not. Tzeentch treats hope meanwhile as more of a negative trait. As he wants people to hope for better things for them, and so dicks them around making sure they don’t get their ultimate goal, but still see it in reach.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I thought the whole thing with the chaos gods was it was always the worst thing about it. Tzeentch doesn't want a cruel tyrant deposed for the sake of the people, he just likes change. His agents work to foster said change regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, which likely would lead to more cruel tyrants.

I think the only "nice" one is Nurgle, since everything I've read seems to say he genuinely, truly cares about his subjects. Nurgle's Rot might mutate you, but if you simply embrace the mutations, you're elevated to immortality and demonhood, something that isn't given as freely by the other three. We can all agree that the GHR is probably the biggest rear end in a top hat since he's the chaos god equivalent of a shitpost.
I've always found it interesting that Orks aren't down with Khorne, and generally seem immune to any corruption from him.

Well to be exact Tzeentch would empower people with ambition to overthrow the cruel tyrant, but would manipulate things so none of his the people he aided could replace them, but still keep that goal technically possible for his followers so their ambition does not die out.

Nurgle as I have seen more on him, is basically an abuser of his followers. The Plaugebearers created by Nurgle Rot are not the same as the people that were infected even if they embrace the change. For his mortal servants generally they are people infected by a disease, and Nurgle offers them a deal, relief from their pain in exchange for spreading his diseases to even more people he can offer the same bargain to, and allows them to find the comfort in their despair as they realize their struggles were pointless, they would have been part of the cycle anyway. If his followers stop spreading plague then he will take away the relief and comfort they have now.

Orcs are generally not down with Khorne cause the nuance is different. AoS mentioned that Gorkamorka got a fair number of human worshipers, but most of them fall to Khorne worship as they lacked the subtler understanding of Gorkamorka’s nature. One of the primary things is that Gorkamorka just wants his followers to fight good, he does not really care how they do so. The Orcs understand this and enjoy the acting of fightin for fightin's sake. Khorne meanwhile is all about the bloodshed, hate, and rage. The orcs don't care about those things, they don't feel hate towards the people they are fighting, heck they tend to like people that give them a challenge.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Was this the guy everyone cited as the only relatable character in early AoS fiction?

edit: saw some GHB leaks and RIP using marked chaos warriors as battleline in my Tzeentch and Slaanesh armies :smith:

Nah I remember him, he was just a minor villain.

Furism posted:

There was a book in the Soul Wars (I think) series where you get the perspective of a Khorne Reaver. And Jesus that was a mind-gently caress. You "embrace" Khorne by, among other things, becoming a cannibal out of self-preservation. Like if they capture your group, they might keep a few people alive, and if these captives will eat the flesh of their fallen friends then the Reavers take them in. At first you fake it but then you develop a Stockholm's syndrome I guess and embrace it.

Doing the ritual cannibalism willing allows Khorne to start grasping at your soul, and they slowly become fully devoted. And to be exact this is how the Goretide the largest Khornate group in the Realms recruits extra members. The whole capturing some people then giving them the offer of eating people and joining the band, or being killed and getting eaten by the people that accept.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

Actually are we sure marked Slaves units don't count as being in-faction amymore? They have the appropriate keyword.

Because If they don't then nobody except Slaves can take Archaon anymore.

This and the battleline thing would invalidate a huge number of Chaos armies which doesnt feel like something they'd do.

They count as being part of the faction, they don't count as battleline.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It can also only be used once a round.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dreylad posted:

If you really wanted you could go Iliatha and shoot someone with 60 Sentinels. But like with the reavers, you'd have 60 sentinels.

And minimum sized everything else.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The GW site has a message up saying the store will reopen soon and mentions the queue system.

Wonder if it will redirect automatically, or I have to keep mashing F5

I think it redirects automatically.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's done ordered my copy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Got my order in. Dominion, Objective set, two sets of foldout boards.

Same minus the objectives.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t I like being sane.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

I got my first game of third in with some of the units from Dominion proxied in and good lord those new crossbow orcs are not okay lol. There's basically no reason to ever use their single shot profile because all you're doing is fishing for mortals on 5+ to hit (with the shaman). Orcs are an elite shooting army now, easily lol. Nothing I had could withstand it.

I thought the Single shot profile did more damage which in turn means more mortal wounds.

edit checked same damage though aimed shot can be useful if farther away due to the extra range.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 20, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Furism posted:

Can we still ask questions about AoS 2.0 here? I'm playing a game this week-end but won't have received the books by then and, while we appreciate to have the possibility, we don't like playing with PDFs.

I'm going to play against the Nighthaunts with 1000 points of Ironjawz. This is the list I thought I'd use:

I wish I had room for a Shaman but I really want the Warchanter for the +1 Damage on the Boyz. I'm not exactly sure why I'm using the Brutes, but it "feels" better to pick them over a Shaman or a Battalion. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, I played only 3 games before. :confused:

Any suggestion is welcome!

For a 1000 point game it works I would say.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Two sets of boards are so I have enough for 2000 point play. One set is sufficient for 1000 points.

Yeah got another set of boards myself. I have a fair amount of terrain so I should be good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Okay, yeah. I was confused, I thought the 44x60 board was enough for 2000 point play, because the description says

Thanks though.

Well with two 22 x 30 boards you can only make a 44 x 30 which is the 1000 point size.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Weapons Teams can also be hidden in other units as of Kragnos.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

People are just really used to thinking about Warhammer points in that scale.

5 point increments are dumb as hell though. Just make it 10 like it de facto was before.

Nah I like the doubling in options.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We got another new book for Soulbound for those interested in the RPG.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/news-events/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lucinice posted:

How is the RPG anyway?

Very fun, it’s just a good system. Mors Rattus did a great run through of it in Fatal and Friends if you want some better insight then I could give.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Business Gorillas posted:

I thought they were reworking the setting because the whole interdimensional bubble thing was getting too weird for the lore?

Also, "these guys are from the fire dimension and they travelled through the wyrmcore tunneldepths to raid the glitterdelve gemhills of the metal world" seems more complicated than "this army got on a boat"

Not really. There are many cities and locations in the Realms along with many Portals between the realms and to other locations in the same realm.

Like this is the Great Parch the main setting were things happen in the Realm of Fire.

Any faction in the game can generally show up here, with no difficulties. The only explanation needed that they took a Realmgate or were in one of the unmarked areas.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

:sigh:

Why did they have to rein that in? What problem was being solved?

The fact that they were replacing the units from the Devoted Armies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also we can see images of a Wyvern or something in the background of the new Orruk Warclans book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gorslav seems like he would be useful. Nightguard make great support for Radukar himself, and the Blood-Born seem like decent hammers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DLC Inc posted:

ah ok, makes sense. fine by me since I probably won't be done painting all of these by the time the battleline kruleboys are out. weird that hobgrots aren't battleline; they seem like easy cuts for armies that want more of the crossbow orruks.

I imagine there will be a way to make them battleline or do more when the tome comes out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

to the best of my knowledge Kruleboyz is a separate allegiance from Big Waaagh so you shouldn't be able to get both allegiance abilties at the same time just like how you don't get Ironjawz or Bonesplitterz allegiance abilities either

Apparently that will change come the new book.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

good, the poison magically disappearing from the Kruleboyz weapons doesn't make much sense and its doubly awkward because the shaman (and apparently the komodo dragon monster) both have abilities that specifically interact with it

Yeah one of the early articles said that the Kruelboyz will keep their poison weapons even in the Big Waagh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Hobgrots will get something to buff them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They apparently had more boxes then with Indomidis and have been happy with how things have sold.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

Didn't the teaser promise a SCE thingy next week

That's probably the new dragons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

It is narratively annoying that the Seraphon victory is to give the Stormcast new mounts, tho.

Not really, the Seraphon are not huge fans of changing things up for themselves, and have been raising these Dragons since before Sigmar came to the Realms, and never had an interest in using them.

Showing the Stormcast the Draconith is pretty much a gift to them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I really like the Mouth of Mork's lore with Kragnos. Namely that he is the only one who can talk with him, and so views Kragnos as the perfect tool to unite the various Destruction groups under him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thanqol posted:

I love the Kruleboyz and think that the old ironjaw orks are garbage who look like rear end. Plus, the Kruleboyz fit way better with the night goblin and troll aesthetic of the recent looncurse stuff.

I think they both look good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah the Ard Boys are the old Black Orcs, the rest of the Ironjawz are new models.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 20, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fun fact the Ard Boys are looked down on and considered to not be proper Ironjawz because they actually had to forge their armour themselves (or force someone else to do it) instead of being able to just force the metal into its proper shape with your fists and elbows.

Even if an Ard Boy grows enough to become a proper brute the others still tend to look down on them, for not being born an Ironjaw. (At least until one becomes a Megaboss, where they tend to be more effective then others as Ard boys are much more humourless and disciplined then other Orruks.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 21, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

haakman posted:

I just finished my 'Forestheart Phoenix' so cannot wait to add a big smashing dragon as well. AoS 3 is great - I am a full convert from 40k.

That looks amazing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mikey Purp posted:

I was so pumped for these dragon boys until their faces were revealed. Go figure that GW couldn't stick the landing and make a dope rear end traditional dragon without adding some weird divisive element to it.

Fingers crossed that when dragon-riding Tyrion shows up he's got something a bit more fierce looking.

I like the face, it makes them look intelligent. The Bluish one particularly looks wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

At this point I’m unsure if anyone has actually figured out how good endless spells are in the new meta. With the new control and movement rules, I expect them to be surprisingly good.

All Endless Spells I have used have been quite useful with one exception. The exception was when I summoned the Purple Sun and got two turns of use out of it before the end of the game. But on three of those uses I rolled a one making it deal no damage, so I just very unlucky.