Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is it crazy that the first thing I'm painting out of Dominion is Yndrasta

God her with Praetors passing off wounds on 3+, Praetors ignoring on 5+, if they don't intercept she has a 4+ ward and if a Praetor croaks she just revives it. In combination with the new banner guy this is a very tough clump of units to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That's wild but then I suppose no one wants to think about replacing 160 clanrats

Clanrats at least are probably safe - they're relatively new plastic and the sculpts more than hold up to AoS plastics. What we really need are plastic Plague Monks, Skryre Acolytres, and Night Runners.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The infiltrating monsters seem pretty tasty if you're bringing monsters

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I got my first game of third in with some of the units from Dominion proxied in and good lord those new crossbow orcs are not okay lol. There's basically no reason to ever use their single shot profile because all you're doing is fishing for mortals on 5+ to hit (with the shaman). Orcs are an elite shooting army now, easily lol. Nothing I had could withstand it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Sneak peak at some new SCE points from their (presumed) new battletome, along with a hint at a new battleline unit called Vanquishers. Notably, Sequitors no longer have a Lord Arcanum as general requirement to be battleline.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Talas posted:

How did you feel about the game in general while playing? Especially in comparison with 2nd edition. Slower? Faster? Cramped?

I got an 800 pt. game in a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. The new hero and command abilities are very strong. We probably ran longer than normal but it didn't feel like it since the opponent's turn has plenty of opportunities for you to interject with a CA. I played SCE versus proxied Kruleboyz and did decently before getting utterly annihilated by their mortal wound spam. Those crossbow guys might end up being a problem lol.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

how are th maggotkin of Nurgle? my lady wants to buy a Great Unclean One and paint it. I've heard Demon armies can be used in 40k as well....

A little outdated but their gimmick is solid and built on a bedrock of decent units.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Business Gorillas posted:

I thought they were reworking the setting because the whole interdimensional bubble thing was getting too weird for the lore?

This is news to me. As far as I know the realms aren't going anywhere, though I wish grand alliances would.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished some Evocators

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man my box is still pending on GW's site, thought I might get Dominion today or tomorrow but if it hasn't even shipped yet it's probably gonna be a week or more...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished my general for an upcoming path to glory. Funny that I'm still working on soul wars when everyone else has their hands on Dominion lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thinned down warp lightning over iron hands

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I played a buddy with proxied Kruleboyz a few weeks ago and he used their allegiance ability along with Big Waaagh, was that not right?

I got my clock cleaned regardless lol, that many mortal wounds barely need any support other than the pretty decent generics

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Big and large!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Didn't the teaser promise a SCE thingy next week that can tear an Ogre in half

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

quote:

Want to find out who the Mouth of Mork will be leading on Kragnos’ warpath? Cast your eyes back to the Dominion Celebration preview to look at more of the grotesque beasts that are lurching from the swamps. If we were the Stormcast Eternals, we’d be hoping to hear about something strong enough to take down Gobsprakk right about now.

Perhaps they’ll find just the thing next week…

* In fact, it’s so strong that it can tear apart a fully-grown ogor with ease – as seen in the short story ‘Kunnin’’.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
aw

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
New dragons own. I like that they're just sentient dudes and not mounts for other dudes

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A possible sculpt misstep and probably the cause of everyone saying "look at this goofy grinning guy" is the tusk in the back of his mouth obscuring its downward turn - he has a pretty neutral expression but at a glance it can read as a smile

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Getting a vibe that these dragon riders being battleline are going to make 90% of SCE lists obsolete

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I got into SCE to paint some sacrosanct guys as a mini-project and I almost wish they'd just stop with all the cool poo poo I'm gonna have to buy now

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's hilarious how many more mortal wounds 3 boltboyz can spit out than the scouring fire breath of a milennia-old dragon prince

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The existence of Annihilator battleline implies the possible existence of Evocator battleline :getin:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The mortal wound spam is almost good enough to carry them were it not for the awful battleline - they're going to be extremely mean when they have rules on top of that

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finally getting around to assembling the Blissbarb Archers from the last big Slaanesh release and these might be some of the most over-designed battleline units I have ever seen. Every one of them is a character-level of detail. Gorgeous of course, but lord I do not look forward to painting 33 (or more) of these things

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here’s hoping for Pestigors.

If they're anything like Slaangors they'll be 20 pts more expensive than whatever their closest equivalent is in the Maggotkin book, have like 2 attacks with -1 (read: 0) rend, die to a stiff breeze, zero way of making them battleline, and be such beautiful models that you might not care about any of the aforementioned

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I am glad they're getting a new Sorcerer since the old metal one just doesn't fit the army's current aesthetic at all, but I'm really hoping they announce at least one other mortal battleline unit for Maggotkin. At least the entire range looks amazing, because you sure don't get many options to choose from.

But yeah Chaos mortal armies have that weirdly common problem where GW makes all these amazing new kits and then forgets to make good rules for them.

It rules when a whole army is built around the concept of "You can summon right? There's your rules right there. No need to pay for what you summon, we'll just fold those points into what you've already fielded!"

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 2, 2021

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Speaking of over pointed chaos mortals I finished these guys the other day and boy is this an elaborate kit for battleline

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

On paper it sounds like the disease mechanic is just a slightly worse / more annoying form of the exploding 6s that other armies have, but it might be one of those things that sounds underwhelming until you see it in action - especially if there end up being ways to modify the rolls / boost disease points. I'm sure someone has cranked out all the math on it already though.

If it only happened on 6's to hit I'd agree but it's also happening in the movement and combat phase passively (with probably more ways to add tokens we're not aware of), which probably gives it an edge

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Talas posted:

There's was a 4chan rumor of a full rework of the old Skaven models for next year or early 2023, like the one they are going to do with Eldar in 40k.

We can really only trace the legitimacy of these by looking at what other rumors they're paired with and this just seems deeply unlikely to me. iirc this post also said seraphon are getting new models at the same time (agrieved oldhammer wish fulfillment alarm bells automatically went off for these two) and also said bonereapers were getting a new book (with two new units we haven't sene hide nor hair of) by the end of January, which is an impossibility at this rate

I'd be ecstatic if my Skaven got a refresh but it feels like one of those model lines GW is just sort of "done" with, barring a new hero every few years

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's going to be Belakor

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

All right so I guess I'm putting in an order for some Hedonites, but I have one tiny bit of hesitation left: the battleline units for this army are easily the most boring looking units in the line. The archers are my favorite, but I can't imagine wanting 30 of them, the Daemonettes are whatever (and don't seem very good?), and the Hellstriders are actively ugly (are these just much older models? They look like the bad kind of butt). It's a real shame there's no way to make the various Seeker units battleline since they're among my favorites!

Anyway, my solution to this is to just grab a bunch of the lance Seekers and use them as Hellstriders with Claw-spears; two units of those, and 1 of the archers should cover me all the way up to 2000 points. For leaders I'm going with what I like the look of and also seems like it might be at least semi-effective. The Contorted Epitome looks demented (in the good way), and it seems like it would pair well with the Godseekers where it'll generate depravity points for charging, lock units in combat (one of the artifacts), and then retreat + charge when my turn comes back around (one of the command traits). I'm also picking up Sigvald and a Keeper of Secrets, but I dunno if I'll be able to jam them both in a list (cool models though, drat). I'll round the whole thing out with Blissbard Seekers (great models with 4 wounds and the potential to generate mortals while running at breakneck speeds seems at least fine!) and the Painbringers (I just like how they look).

So does that seem like a decent mix of stuff to build up with?

I would personally avoid putting too many daemons (especially a keeper) in your starting line-up as they can easily be summoned later - definitely pick some up though, a Keeper and at least 10 Daemonettes (but preferably 30 for flexibility) are mandatory IMO

I would ditch the Hellstriders if you don't like them (no one really does, but they are technically our cheapest option). I would also double check that subbing Slickblades for them will really work for you, as they're quite a bit taller and come on bigger bases. Blissbarbs are great for mobility and parting out their shots to generate DP so definitely keep them. If I were you I'd slot in a Lord of Pain somewhere so you can run Painbringers and Twinsouls as battleline, who make a decent little bulwark for your squishy archers.

Also don't miss out on Sigvald - I'd recommend finding room for him somewhere as he's the best unit in the army and probably the only one in the book that feels worth his points.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Sure hope they change how clans interact in the new Skaven book so I can actually use the new hero without breaking my army

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Boy I hope they get rid of the pushed into battle rule.

lmao they did not. I can't believe it either. New Screaming Bell looks legit, tho

1 less cast and still slow as hell, but trades that for the ability to swap to a priest on a whim (pretty situational) and almost guarantees you get a free Verminlord summon if you shatter the bell at the right time. I like it.

What I don't like is the price breakdown of the new box lol. I did some educated guessing and came out to approx. $174 for the Skaven half and $250 for Sylvaneth based on webstore prices

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Love how my two main armies (skaven and slaanesh) are perpetually prime hunters lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Skaven tome about to drop makes me want to build Skaven lists and work out what I've got and how it fits together, but I'm like 99% certain that Skaven listbuilding isn't going to remotely resemble what they currently have. At least I hope it doesn't because it currently sucks lol

Just let me take whatever battleline I want, it's not like skryre acolytes are a real thing that people would ever abuse - they'd have to buy them first for legit comp. I just wanna take a giant brick of plague monks in every list.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Just let us bring clan battleline if we have a hero in our army and this will be good

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does that read like you can spend a cp to max your run and then use that maxed run for everyone? Or does a roll have to take place?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm waiting to digest the new skaven rules for another couple weeks but there's a few things bothering me.

It feels bad to get a method of squeezing more attacks out of hordes at the same time that a new GHB is giving everyone that ability through different means. Like I get it, rules teams don't talk to each other and compare notes, but still lol. Also figured that bonuses to reinforcement was going to be a norm going forward after seeing it in DoK but nothing - no changes to min unit size to boot.

Don't want to sound whiny as it's not all bad - they fixed the biggest issue with the old book which was the strict limit on battleline (you only need to bring a clan leader to bring a unit of their respective battleline). Most things are a bit punchier and less random. It's a real mixed bag when you get into the behemoth space with huge points hikes (not always accompanied by buffs) hitting Verminlords - the previous best Verminlord before (Warpseer) is probably now the worst.

All in all it feels like a sort of copy-paste job with no new ideas presenting themselves. But freeing up battleline probably makes up for all of this. Lists are going to get a lot more varied now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm absolutely leaning into Pestilens. I've got a furnace, a priest, 40 monks, and a Corruptor I finished over the weekend