Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd also say stormcast are pretty cost effective. The SCE half of the new box will be 1300pts of models for not much through buy swap sell or ebay and then you can just throw in some of the always available sequitors for 1500 and play decent sized games for a couple hundo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol I'm watching the goobertown unboxing for dominion. He's a good man.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lilljonas posted:

He's completely right, I have no idea what the purpose of unboxing videos is. I mean, yes, the box contains... what it is supposed to contain? And on the website I can see the same minis painted, but here I can see someone holding up the sprues close to a webcam? Yay?

It's extra funny because he actually built the models and used a decent enough camera to show them off while rotating. The orcs looks good as hell.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Good thing my KO list is just boats and a shitload of thunderers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrDraxium posted:

My man ;)

Also thanks for your encouraging words about KO a while back JBP, I now have a flourishing force that's nearing completion. Were an absolute treat to build and paint and play with!

Awesome! They're super weird in the context of AOS but annihilating someone's favourite beat stick unit or monster in a hail of gunfire just never gets old.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Was kinda hoping they'd tone down shooting in 3.0 but it sounds like they just made it stronger instead lol.

Welcome to boathell

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I bought Dominion and sold the krule Boyz already. So I basically paid $130aud for the nice rulebook and a bunch of stormcast which is a great deal.

I don't really understand why people are reacting to the new starter game having lots of stock compared to a one shot board game tbh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am pissed off that azyr is going and will be replaced by some more expensive thing that will be a total piece of poo poo if the 40k app is the template.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Furism posted:

I'm really surprised they chose to make the animations, apparently, exclusive to WH+. They should have signed a deal with Netflix or something, just for the increased reach. That would bring so much more people to Warhammer. If you stick to WH+ you're showing the animations not only to people already aware of Warhammer, but also already super committed to it (because they're subscribers to something very much optional). You're not going to sell them much more poo poo ; whereas it's hard to imagine how many teenagers would want to pick up a Start Collecting box after watching a Space Marines animation show on Netflix.

I don't know that a major streaming co would want these crappy cartoons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Magic posted:

I thought this at first as well, and then I thought about the endless stream of drivel that Netflix is very happy to churn out.

I don’t know jack about streaming or broadcasting so I imagine there is some nuance here that we aren’t privy to.

The algorithm won't give a gently caress about Warhammer cartoons is your answer as to why there is drivel and shitloads of anime.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The admiral sucks but I take him every time so he can stand on the bow of my Ironclad the Heavy Metal Queen and hit people with his hammer. Also you can't expect multiple skyships to operate efficiently without competent leadership it's just common sense.

I don't have any arkanauts and play Barak Zilfin. My battle line is always a selection of endrinriggers under a balloon endrinmaster and a frigate (I sometimes take two frigates for maximum boat even though this is not "efficient"). The rest is an Ironclad, one or two gunhaulers and thunderers.

My favourite way to play is Ironclad with ten thunderers and an admiral, two frigates with five thunderers on each, balloon boss and endrinriggers. It's not considered a good list until the entire thing redeploys and annihilates a third of the opponent's army in one turn while remaining safe from reprisals.

Everything KO can take is good. The khemist with spell in a bottle is notorious and a standout. An Ironclad with a harpoon and deal-breaker ram owns as does the Last Word cannon. Gunhauler spam is good and they have some good upgrades. Arkanauts are actually pretty decent for their points and the only reason I don't take them is because it's more important that I have all the guns. The only really weak unit is probably skywardens and that's only because they're geared to do something the rest of your army isn't (being close combat*) and their upgrades make them multirole which is underwhelming.

*unless you class ramming poo poo with a boat and dropping bombs on it as close combat, in which case the army is pretty good at close combat.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 30, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I play AOS and never touched WHFB because it was an insane commitment and frankly nobody seemed to play it. This is my tale.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Businesses also don't just look at whether sales are good now, they want growth. I'd just take it that they knew they were getting whales into WHFB and making money, but that's not the kind of customer you want for growth.

I am interested to see what kind of game the old world is. I'm assuming it's going to be a whale hunting expedition unlike anything we've ever seen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AOS1 was extremely funny and I'm still glad they decided to roll improv into the rules.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just want to say what happened with Warmachine/Hordes is loving sad. I played a lot of that game with other people that were bored with GW like ten years ago. It was such a fun system with so much cool poo poo going on, I loved the trollkin models and game had great risk/reward.

It's a real shame that it's nearly dead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Why didn't the wargaming hobby take off in the US to the extent that it did in the UK? Feels like they have an extremely large, healthy community for pretty much every miniature game you can think of, and I know GW starting off there certainly helped, but that can't be the only reason can it?

A greater commitment to school bullying is my only idea.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

Finished my general for an upcoming path to glory. Funny that I'm still working on soul wars when everyone else has their hands on Dominion lol

I love everything about this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I figured that the Dominion box was intended to be an in stock item for the foreseeable future.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wanted them to add a turbo winged helmets style dwarf faction to AOS but any excuse to paint an existing big wing helmet dwarf is fine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol yeah I just saw those big boy puppers. Looks like I chose to play sigmarines at the right time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The blue one doesn't look friendly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've seen some tomb king armies sell on Facebook buy swap sell groups. People play them in kings of war or simply like them a lot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Done my test dudes and like them so it's on to batch painting the rest of dominion then play a game on Tuesday. Going to do the blades like the moonlight sword from bloodborne but waiting on some colours.

E: got to say big props on the new stormcast armour it's so much better than the blocky boys. Couldn't help but go with the full metal.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 30, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm banging through these. Great models. Glad I went with an easy scheme for once I'm having a great time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BaronVanAwesome posted:

How're you gettin' em so shiny

Vallejo Metal Color pale burnt metal through airbrush. Then I lazily do some nuln oil gloss. I need to clean these up a bit but the metal color range really takes a lot of effort out of proceedings.

I thought about blasting on some colours or preshading the armour, but the metal has a bit of interest in it naturally and covered everything really densely on my test model. They're super cool when you put them in interesting light.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrDraxium posted:

I've had this experience with my Kharadron Overlords recently.

You're so god damned focused on this mini at a distance that makes an area behind the weapon seem like Tasmania, when in reality, it's going to spend it's life at least a metre away from the critical eye and it really doesn't matter.

If my brain gets out of the "who gives a poo poo" zone for painting I find that's when I have long lulls in doing anything at all. Meanwhile if I can smash out minis and just go "cool!" I keep on painting frequently. I've done enough edge highlighting for one lifetime.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This stormcast army is going to cost me a lot more money than I had envisioned, isn't it...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't think having a list with nothing but super expensive flying monsters is going to be a good way to go imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AnEdgelord posted:

Sons of Behemat is putting up numbers at tournaments so I wouldn't be so sure

Sure but they get accounted for on objectives while I don't think these dragon riders will count as more than one model. I guess if they're stormkeep and being battleline nets them the model count bonus early, but then they're going to be holding position and defeating the point most likely. I'd definitely be happy to relieve myself of taking three regular battleline units though and having a dragon riding general is super cool before you even think about the list stuff.

e: they also might just haul rear end and kill everything on the board, can't contest poo poo if you're dead

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 3, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When are they replacing azyr with whatever this new shitshow is gonna be?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

I got into SCE to paint some sacrosanct guys as a mini-project and I almost wish they'd just stop with all the cool poo poo I'm gonna have to buy now

Yeah I bought the sacrosanct Christmas box on the cheap and now I'm in a while heap of trouble.

Talas posted:

At first they said the beta was coming with Dominion, then changed it so now it should be coming along the new battletomes.

Cool thanks. Seems like a shame since azyr works well imo. Compared to the 40k app it's a dream.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Talas posted:

Yeah, Azyr is staying but it's not going to be updated anymore. The Warhammer+ service includes the new apps, but I don't think they ever confirmed if it's an exclusive thing... I hope not, I don't care about the 40k content at all.

I think it's all one package unfortunately. I also don't really want to pay more than azyr (like a buck fifty) so I can access a bunch of cartoons and bullshit. Probably see a few AOS players start using battlescribe more. I had a look on BS yesterday and all the new SCE stuff is on there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Got a 2k tournament coming up mid September so I'm going to take my overlords and come last but by gum I'm going to blow some poo poo up. I think this will be fun. I'm not actually sure that the boats are "monsters" I'll have to have a look at the book later.

++ **Pitched Battle GHB 2021** 2,000 (Order - Kharadron Overlords) [2,000pts] ++

+ Core Battalion +

Core Battalion: Command Entourage: Extra Enhancement: Artefacts of Power, Magnificent

Core Battalion: Linebreaker

+ Leader +

Aetheric Navigator [95pts]: 2. Svaregg-Stein 'Illuminator' Flarepistol, Command Entourage - 2-3 Sub-Commanders, Ranging Pistol, Zephyrscope

Aetheric Navigator [95pts]: Command Entourage - 2-3 Sub-Commanders, Ranging Pistol, Zephyrscope

Arkanaut Admiral [125pts]: Command Entourage - 1 Commander, Skalfhammer, Volley Pistol

Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit [190pts]: 1. Staff of Ocular Optimization, 5. Great Tinkerer, Aethercannon, Aethermatic Saw, Dirigible Suit Weapon Battery, Gaze of Grungni, General - Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit, Linebreaker - 1-2 Commanders

+ Behemoth +

Arkanaut Ironclad [490pts]: 1. The Last Word, Aethershock Torpedoes, Aethershot Carbines, Boarding Weapons, Great Sky Cannon, Linebreaker - 2-3 Monsters, Wound Track

+ Battleline +

Arkanaut Company [100pts]: 10 Arkanaut Company, Aetherflare Pistol, Aethermatic Volley Gun & Gun Butt, 9x Privateer Pistol and Arkanaut Cutter

Arkanaut Frigate [250pts]: Aethershot Carbines, Boarding Weapons, Heavy Sky Cannon, Linebreaker - 2-3 Monsters, Wound Track

Arkanaut Frigate [250pts]: Aethershot Carbines, Boarding Weapons, Heavy Sky Cannon, Linebreaker - 2-3 Monsters, Wound Track, Prudency Chutes

+ Other +

Grundstok Thunderers [135pts]: 5 Grundstok Thunderers, 5x Aethershot Rifle, Gun Butt, Gunnery Sergeant, Honour Bearer

Grundstok Thunderers [270pts]: 10 Grundstok Thunderers, 10x Aethershot Rifle, Gun Butt, Gunnery Sergeant, Honour Bearer, Reinforced

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
. . 2) Barak-Zilfin, the Windswept City: Amendment, Artycle, Footnote

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

Grand Strategy: Vendetta

++ Total: [2,000pts] ++

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrDraxium posted:

Looks good my friend. Boats are behemoths which are represented helpfully on the core battalions page by a picture of a dragon! :shepface:

Assume you're taking the navigators for the re-rolling pistols?

Also I know it's easier taking all rifles than remembering fifteen million weapons profiles, but having mixed special weapons on (for example) a unit of 10 thunderers (e.g. 2x mortars, 2x decksweeper, 2 x cannons) you can always get your +1 to hit which is pretty critical in 3.0.

p.s. was that output from Battlescribe? How is it for AoS 3.0 stuff atm?

Navigators are for denies and one has the pistol so I can fly in turn one, spend a gold and then kill whatever 500pt god monster the other person has brought with the entire navy. I'm trying to make sure I've basically always got commands to give and I think under the new system that the admiral might be useful for being able to issue differently worded commands. I'll see how it goes I think it will be fun. I haven't settled on the guns for the ten man thunderers, I've still got five to be built. I think I'll give them the variety, but I've always found having the range over the entire game really useful. (Edit: I also like to have them stay on board shooting from garrison and you miss out on the bonus to cannons then anyway, the ten man will be riding on the Ironclad)

BS is good! It's a bit finnicky with loadouts and took me a minute to work out where your sub factions are etc but it works fine and everything looks correct to me.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 4, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrDraxium posted:

I have some friends in the professional KO realm and they think KO might be heading towards a more control playstyle as opposed to the surgical killers they were in 2.0, so having tons of rifles opens up more of the board to you so it makes sense from that perspective. Admiral will be almost an auto-take in 3.0 I'd say for the reasons you've outlined.

Best of luck with your list! Report back with your results (if you care to, I'd be interested in the very least).

I'm taking this +++WILDLY DIFFERENT LIST+++ to a tournament this Saturday.

Am doing my best to make the Admiral + Grudgehammer work, because it's awesome. I hold Elarr's GRUDGEHAMMER dreams from the Goonhammer Start Competing article close to my steampunk heart at all times.

p.s. man Battlescribe is good, but I couldn't work out how to take Barak Thryng as my skyport, only the default codes seem to be in there...

That's a hell of a list. I feel like I take a lunatic build for KO (people love the haulers, I prefer big boats full of dudes). That's a lot of guys!

I've always taken the admiral because it feels right. Being able to issue all out attack to the thunderers and on my mark fire on the Ironclad in 3.0 is going to whip hopefully. I also think being able to issue all out defence and repel boarders makes for a nasty surprise. His rerolls against heroes and monsters also aren't too shabby. Two navigators might be overkill but I'm going to absolutely poo poo on tzeentch armies with Zilfin plus two denies PLUS heroic denies. gently caress tzeentch basically. Also elves.

I hope the tourney can go ahead. Australia with covid is rough right now but I think this is vaguely my 3.0 list and I'm super happy the admiral feels a bit more useful. Keen to hear how you go with your horde o' dorfs too.

E: oh you've also reminded me that I can fill a hunters battalion.

Oh yeah also how do you find the great volley cannon? I like having my flat 6 available and I've never taken the volley.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 5, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Furism posted:

The Vallejo Metal Color line is what you're looking for. Specifically Pale Burnt Metal in your case. They don't come in spray cans, so if you don't own an airbrush you'll need to use regular brushes. But the paint is so fantastic it brushes on perfectly. Can't recommend it enough.

Pale burnt metal is also God's own metallic. I used it for my sce.

It's going to be way shinier than leadbelcher.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DrDraxium posted:

Never used Pale burnt metal but I can sing to the high heavens about Vallejo's Metal Colour Line. I've exclusively used a mix of silver, steel and gunmetal grey to paint up my KO and they brush on amazingly, and I just chucked em in an airbrush for my vehicles. Both approaches work amazingly well.

Pale burnt metal is my favourite. It's got a lot of character in it with little work. Grab a pot it's so good! Gunmetal is also great for things like Knight frames and it probably a bit more analogous to leadbelcher but darker from the outset. Just means it's faster to drybrush etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am looking forward to buying a dragon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SCE preview mentions thematic battalion structures. I don't know if this means more battalions or what. I did think they said it was core battalions or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Injuryprone posted:

drat, how will they balance 2 battalions.

This should be a funny joke, but it's not.