Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Flesh-eater Courts and Ogor Mawtribes/Beastclaw Raiders are pretty notorious for being able to make good 1000pt lists out of a pair of Start Collecting boxes.

I'd love to see what those lists look like, even if it's a 2nd ed one rather than 3rd. Particularly the Beastclaw Raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't played a game yet, but out of interest what's the most appealing part? The mortal wound bow? The +1 to hit fight phase? I'm assuming the 'potential mortal wounds if charged' isn't fantastic?

I love the models and have picked them up for Underworlds, but interesting in having them join my Dominion based SCE army.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually, the MWs on being charged is one of the things that struck me as most valuable about the Truthseekers. MW output is extremely powerful, and getting a full roll automatically against any form of monster or mounted unit is very good against cavalry, who are quite powerful right now. Most cav cannot casually eat 3 MWs without worrying, especially if you've also done Unleash Hell and fired the bird and bow at them. The bow is also extremely good.

Mostly, individually these would each be 90-120 point combat hero chassis. Each of them has 5 wounds, a good save and a good number of decent attacks. You get all three for 265, and none of them are dead weight.

e: their one weakness is they can't give out commands to themselves, as they lack a unit leader. But SCE doesn't really have trouble with having people in command range.

Thanks. Got my first game of AOS in a local Path to Glory Event.

Got a major victory, and I want more Annihilators - luckily this week is pre-order week!

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Path to Glory is a great time. I played a game as Beasts of Chaos recently and got my rear end handed to me because I overestimated the power of bullgors and dragon ogors and also misplayed for the scenario - should've spent more time running away, less time fighting angry trees.

Yeah it was a blast, we played the escape mission where I had to get my guys off one board edge while the Bonereapers gradually closed in

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Been having some real fun with AoS minis this year. Cracked out the lightbox to get some good shots.

Currently working on the Stormcast Dragon with it's excellent buy one get one free miscast offer.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

Fantastic. I love that Kroak model so much and you made it look awesome.

Thanks, he's so detailed it was intimidating! I followed Duncan Rhodes guide which made it a lot easier.

What's the difference between Maggotkin and Nurgle Daemons? They can take all the Daemon stuff, but also have access to some mortals?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Nurgle demons are not separate army - both demons and mortals are magotkin. However there is separation in the book in what traits, spells and artifacts mortals and demons can take. Outside of that they can mix and match in the same army

Thanks! On the website with the categories is it because they exist in their own section so you can run all flavours of Daemons together? I've heard people talk about playing 'Slanesh Mortals' - is that different again?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

I'm very excited to take this dumb :fuckoff: list to my first event next weekend. I've even got an army board made and everything!

code:
Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Knights Excelsior (Scions of the Storm)
- Mortal Realm: Shyish
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Lord-Imperatant (175)**
Knight-Judicator with Gryph-Hounds (205)**
Lord-Relictor (145)**
- General
- Command Trait: High Priest
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
- Prayer: Translocation

Battleline
3 x Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers (240)*
5 x Vindictors (130)**

Units
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (480)**
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Aetherwings (65)**
3 x Aetherwings (65)**

Core Battalions
*Hunters of the Heartlands
**Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Holy Command: Thunderbolt Volley

Total: 1985 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 80
Drops: 4

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Danimo posted:

if both armies deploy right on the line then yeah many armies can pull off turn 1 charges. Deployment zones are generally either only 18 or 22” away, doesn’t take too much shenanigans to make that doable (nevermind teleporting units). There’s also a couple stairstep diagonal deployment missions where you could start as close as ~12 inches from your opponent.

Most experienced players will try to deploy in a way that minimizes turn 1 charge potential if it’s something their opponent might do, whether it’s with screens or deploying further back. But for newer players is common to see both players just line up everything and charge and throw dice until someone loses the scrum.

Assuming this is the kind were thinking of you actually have to deploy 9" away from enemy territory (which cuts off about 2/3rds of the 3 diagonals boxes off your own territory for deployment) so you do end up functionally 18" away from each other. Same for the 2 variations of the half tables deployments.

Agreed though that turn 1 charges are pretty possible with some shenanigans (Kragnos, advance and charge etc.) and in any situation where both armies move forward, any combat unit that wants to be in combat probably will be at the end of round 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Danimo posted:

If the defender deploys a model directly 9” east from the bottom left objective, and the attacker deploys a model directly 9” west of the center objective, those models will be slightly less than 12” from each other going north-south.

You’re only 18” away if you deploy directly opposite from each other on opposite sides of the objectives/points where the territories meet

You are correct. Good catch, thanks!

In order to add some actual thread content I've been starting up Maggotkin. Wanted a Festus but didn't like the old model so followed the Mengel guide with a few touches of my own to build him on the much chunkier chassis of a Blightking.

Original size comparison from Mengel

Also been experimenting with Dirty Down Verdigris - it's very picky, appreciate any tips anyone has!