Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Wait, you have to subscribe to the newsletter to get the core rules download?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cooked Auto posted:

Apparently so but there's still a URL for it floating around.
Here:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/fZD0X060Qn7ZO0EE.pdf

Thanks!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
There was a book in the Soul Wars (I think) series where you get the perspective of a Khorne Reaver. And Jesus that was a mind-gently caress. You "embrace" Khorne by, among other things, becoming a cannibal out of self-preservation. Like if they capture your group, they might keep a few people alive, and if these captives will eat the flesh of their fallen friends then the Reavers take them in. At first you fake it but then you develop a Stockholm's syndrome I guess and embrace it.

Orruks don't do any of that poo poo. They bash your head in and move on. They're not evil, I think, just completely nuts and "fight-thirsty" (more than "blood-thirsty", if that makes sense). They get bloody because they fight, but they don't fight because they want blood.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Can we still ask questions about AoS 2.0 here? I'm playing a game this week-end but won't have received the books by then and, while we appreciate to have the possibility, we don't like playing with PDFs.

I'm going to play against the Nighthaunts with 1000 points of Ironjawz. This is the list I thought I'd use:

quote:

Leaders

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Armour of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline

3 × Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
20 × Orruk Ardboys (400)
5 × Orruk Brutes (130)

Total
990 / 1000

Extra Command Points

I wish I had room for a Shaman but I really want the Warchanter for the +1 Damage on the Boyz. I'm not exactly sure why I'm using the Brutes, but it "feels" better to pick them over a Shaman or a Battalion. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, I played only 3 games before. :confused:

Any suggestion is welcome!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Business Gorillas posted:

it's kind of hosed up that GW put so much time and effort into 4 books featuring different factions, only to blow up all of their work for no reason in the next edition

Well they made money from all that time and effort, and they'll make more money by spending more time and effort revamping what they did before. I'm very new to the hobby but it seems to me that's GW's business model?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I haven't watched the full stream and all but is it true with WH+ you get the unique miniature one year into the subscription?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes. From the sounds of it, if you keep your sub for a year, you choose either the Orruk or Assassin for free, with the option to buy the other. T&C to come later though, so we'll find out more info in August.

Well this is bullshit then. If I take a one year subscription I should get the model right away. I understand why they want a threshold of 12 months if you go for monthly payments, but if you commit to a year right from the start then give me my loving Megaboss right now what the gently caress.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is not a case of "I need instant gratification", and it'll probably take me a year to paint the whole Dominion box anyway. It's just a matter of principle. :colbert:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm really surprised they chose to make the animations, apparently, exclusive to WH+. They should have signed a deal with Netflix or something, just for the increased reach. That would bring so much more people to Warhammer. If you stick to WH+ you're showing the animations not only to people already aware of Warhammer, but also already super committed to it (because they're subscribers to something very much optional). You're not going to sell them much more poo poo ; whereas it's hard to imagine how many teenagers would want to pick up a Start Collecting box after watching a Space Marines animation show on Netflix.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Desfore posted:

The best advertisement GW's ever done is licensing the Dawn of War & Total Warhammer games (DoW is how I discovered Warhammer).

Seconding this. And then one day, years later, I wanted to try miniature painting (I used to do scale models), Orcs specifically, I thought "Who makes good minis? Well I liked the look of Orks in Warhammer Online so let's check Games Workshop website. Ooooh, what is that AoS thing? What's an Orruk? Ooooh."

And then I wanted to play with my little green soldiers and there you go now I have two 2,000 points armies and decors and stuff.

That's why I said earlier in the thread that GW should license more, better games, and put their animation series on something larger than WH+. It's bound to attract more people. And since streaming platforms will produce anything you offer them, they could even have actually good production values.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Any fellow Sons of Behemat in the thread?

I wish! They would go very well with my Ironjawz.

But I can't ...

Mors Rattus posted:

So that’s what a thousand dollars in plastic looks like.

... because this. :(

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I went all-in with a list I want to try.

Kragnos + Megaboss on Maw-Crusha, a Warchanter and a bunch of 'Ardboyz.

My idea is to use the Bloodtoof Warclan artefact that gives the Megaboss as a free, once a game, undispellable teleport. I'll teleport Kragnos right into the other guy's army. He'll have no choice but to hit him, and then suffer AoE mortal wounds in every single game phase. While I use the Boyz to hold objectives. I have no idea how that's going to play out but it'll be hilarious.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

That is baller - just one thing, does the new Kragnos FAQ allow Kragnos to receive the spell, despite not having the Ironjawz keyword?

You scared me for a second so I went and checked and poo poo, the spell itself says you can only cast it on friendly Ironjawz. poo poo, I really liked that idea.

Maybe if I paint Kragnos yellow...

E: Which, honestly, doesn't make much sense lore-wise to me. So I can't TP Kruelboyz or Troggoth or Squids around? I could understand if it's limited to Destruction, and possibly not Monsters, but specifically to Ironjawz doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Furism fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 12, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

quote:

You don’t have to give up all your subfaction’s battle traits, either – each of the three retains their best ability.

That's pretty cool, I don't think it was the case in the previous Big Waagh!

But they only mention even more new Kruleboyz units, nothing for the other Orruks and that's a bummer. I want to see some Ironjawz monsters that aren't mounts, even if it's just an unmounted Maw-Krusha or a herd of Gore-Gruntaz. Maybe some ranged units too (just have some big Orruks really into hurling big rocks at things) so I don't have to Big Waagh! just for the Kruleboyz units.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm halfway through the Dominion novel and man, Stormcasts are dicks to everyone else. The Knights Excelsiors particularly are full-on fascists who'll execute you gruesomely if they even remotely doubt your faith in Sigmar (and the book makes it clear that simply disagreeing with them is sometimes enough). They didn't strike me as such in the Soul Wars series, from what I remember they were more... well, good.

Are they making the SCE more like 40K's Imperium or has it always been like this?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cooked Auto posted:

Depends on the Stormcast Host as I recall. The ones Hamilcar belongs too are pretty chill for instance while there others who are insane zealots.

Mors Rattus posted:

That’s just generally the Knights Excelsior’s thing. Hallowed Knights and Anvils of the Heldenhammer are considerably nicer but the Knights Excelsior are the loving worst.

Ah, ok. Still weird that the fascists are the ones that 'protect' the cities. The book make it sound like they kill a lot of innocent people 'just in case' they're Chaos agent.

As for the Anvils, they just dropped a cliff on a big Orruk army and a few hundreds Freeguilds Soldiers because it was faster than way so I guess that's better but not a whole lot. Jeez.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MonsterEnvy posted:

No it was the Hammers of Sigmar, who have always been in the more grey Stormhosts. Aka normally pretty heroic and inspiring, but their membership have died more then any other Stormhost so it's members tend to be the farthest down losing their humanity. Plus they tend to be obsessive with proving themselves.

As mentioned it was the Hammers, and I believe that rockslide was partially an accident, the Mage just did not feel too guilty cause as mentioned he was in a hurry. (And he is rightfully called out on it.)

Ah, thank you for correcting me. And don't get me wrong, I think the novel is pretty good, it's just that I was surprised by how darker it is compared to the other SCE novels I've read. If these Stormhosts are known for that it makes sense. Ghur and Excelsis really sound like some of the worst Sigmar's cities to live in a citizen.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ghur is the Realm of Beasts, and Excelsis is currently in a bad state from Broken Realms Kragnos. They were back to back hit by a Skaven Incursion, Slaaneshi cults led by powerful Daemons, crazy radicals influenced by the Slaaneshi cult who were murdering Aelves, and mages, and forcing them out of the city. And lastly a siege by Waagh! Gordrakk the biggest Waagh! in centuries, that involved a god smashing down the wall at one point.

Yes I've read the BR Kragnos book (I play Ironjawz so I love all that stuff going on right now). I'm not very clear though if Dominion takes place before or after? I think after but so far the book hasn't mentioned the event at all so I'm not sure.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a short version of the AOS 3.0 rules we can freely download? Similar to what they had for 2.0? My girlfriend and I are going to run a few small games (500 or 1000 points), before maybe starting a Path to Glory campaign, and I think it'd be less off putting than handing her the 400 pages of the Dominion book.

I believe in the new starter boxes they have light versions of the rules, are those available for download or :filez: ?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cooked Auto posted:

The basic rules should be available as a PDF online, but last time I checked there was a bit of a hurdle you had to jump through to get them via writing up your email and then you got a link.

Thankfully they are linked in the OP:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/fZD0X060Qn7ZO0EE.pdf
I don't think there is anything shorter than those though unless you look up some summary elsewhere.

Thanks! Didn't think to look in the OP, and Google was giving me only links to the 2.0 version :(

Geisladisk posted:

I've used this AOS 3 reference sheet in my games so far and it has been hugely helpful: http://weirdnobz.com/2021/06/21/update-plus-an-age-of-sigmar-reference-sheet/

Page 2 has all the new stuff from AOS 3 - The heroic actions, new generic spells, universal command abilities, and monstrous rampages - Broken down by phase. You can almost print that one out without reading the AOS3 rules and you are good to go.

We'll definitely use that as a support during the games but I wanted her to have a proper read first!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Talas posted:

Seeing all the new Stormcasts I just assembled I'm thinking about priming them in a steel-like color to save some time, but it seems like Leadbelcher spray is more valuable than gold around here... has anyone used some alternative spray?

The Vallejo Metal Color line is what you're looking for. Specifically Pale Burnt Metal in your case. They don't come in spray cans, so if you don't own an airbrush you'll need to use regular brushes. But the paint is so fantastic it brushes on perfectly. Can't recommend it enough.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

JBP posted:

It's going to be way shinier than leadbelcher.

Very true. For my SCE I apply a thinned down contrast paint (could use ink with contrast medium) to dull it more and it works perfectly.

VMC's Steel is very nice too but quite a bit darker than Leadbelcher.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Z the IVth posted:

VMA Gunmetal maps exactly to Leadbelcher. I use it interchangeably with the spray.

It's interesting that you describe VMC (metal colour presumably?) Steel as being darker than Leadbelcher because VMA Steel is a mid-range silver and is a lovely colour for all sorts of metals.

Yes Metal Colour. It felt darker than Leadbelcher to me but it's entirely possible I'm wrong. My default go-to is Pale Burn Metal + some kind of dark wash/contrast for "steel-looking armor", but again it might be a matter of taste at this point. I use Steel for the darker recesses.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/13/mob-em-skewer-em-or-zap-em-three-ways-to-waaagh-in-the-new-orruk-warclans-battletome/

I hope the next preview shows more love for Ironjawz, the only True Orruks.

Although, definitely taking those Man-skewer Boltboyz as allies in the army.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'd say the book and warscrolls are useless since a new version come out in less than a month.

The rest is meh as far as I'm concerned because I'm not a fan of the Savage Orruks. The Ironjawz side is a little light (only one warchanter, only 3 gore gruntas, no shaman, no megaboss, no brutes, only a few ardboyz).

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I haven't kept up with the thread so I'm out of the loop but... We can't get unit warscrolls as PDF from GW now? I bought the Start Collecing Flesh Eaters Court box for my son, and not all the units in it come with their warscroll (like the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon), and I really don't want to have to buy the Battletome just for a 7 years old who'll move on to something else one month from now.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Der Waffle Mous posted:

just the app now unfortunately.

Motherfuckers.

:filez: it is.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Does the Warhammer app allow me to specify my list, as well as the enemy's, and remind me phase by phase what I can do? There are two many things going on I can't keep track, and I think I might just give in.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Are there good "one page/house rules" I could use for AoS? I'd like to play with my 8 years old, who doesn't have the brain space for so many rules, and with my spouse, who just wants to play a casual game or two from time to time.

Ideally I'd like the games to last under an hour, even if we play with armies in the 2000 points range. I'd also like to keep some of the special abilities/spells of each unit, without making it too complicated.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Why not play warcry - its skirmish with simple rules but some special abilities. Also fewer minis on table so lower mental load? You can play a game in 30-40 minutes

Because I already have a ton of miniatures from different armies (I'm in the hobby more for the painting than the playing) and I'd like to re-use those without having to spend $100 on all Warcry terrain and books etc. I like playing with the terrain my son and I built and AoS/40K are great for that (Warcry might allow custom terrain though, I'll admit I have no idea).

A ruleset where the rolls are simplified (maybe one roll for To Hit/To Wound for instance, same for spells) would be great. I'm not smart enough to come up with my own house rules :(

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Alright, seems like I should give Warcry a try then! Thanks goons!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Are there any new Age of Sigmar novels so I can keep track of what's going on lore-wise? The last one I read was about that Stormcasts going on a Crusade or whatever (Dominion, I think?), where the Kruleboyz were revealed. And also a little bit of lore in the Kragnos book. What books have been released after that? I can't seem to figure out a reading order from GW's websites.

Furism fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ok, it's kind of a bummer. It'd be nice if a novelization of what's happening in the game was available.

On the same note, is this book the same as the one that was released along the figurine? Again it's not very clear to me.