Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

never use battlescribe for aos.

Everyone makes their lists in warscroll builder anyway.

Warscroll builder definitely great for list submission but having all the unit rules in one place is handy for reference though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm holding onto the vain hope that it's literally just Azyr but with the battletome code backend stuff.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Total neophyte question: why not use battlescribe for AOS?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Combination of occasionally being slow to incorporate changes, and a bit of a history of inaccurate points values and available options iirc.

(Edit: autocorrect went from 'slow' to 'able' for some reason)

Ugly John fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 23, 2021

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The official tools for Age of Sigmar are pretty good. The app has images which helps a lot with visually checking your list, it integrates with purchasing the Battletomes, so when you buy the book you get access to the information from it in the list builder, and the interface is much quicker to put something together than Battlescribe.

The web app I haven't spent as much time with, but it's pretty quick to toss stuff together there, but it's weird they don't have the images there.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Captain Magic posted:

Total neophyte question: why not use battlescribe for AOS?

Agreed with Ugly John above, Battlescribe is totally fine but can be a little funky to teach for new players that haven't used it before, and because it's all community done, there have been errors in points/eligibility for things (being able to take units or upgrades or whatever you shouldn't be able to, or it won't warn you).

It's totally fine and correct 95% of the time, and I'll use it for in game reference.

(but Der Waffle Mous is right about most organized play using Warscroll Builder, and I'll often use it to "check" my list against to make sure it's good - it also outputs way, way cleaner if you need to share a list with someone)

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Yeah, I think the biggest thing is that all of your options for building a list are *almost* ideal, but not quite.

Battlescribe has the aforementioned issues.

Azyr occasionally misses options, has a sub fee to actually build lists, and was really slow to update when the GW team was prioritizing the 40k app.

Warscroll Builder only sometimes let's you see what's on the warscroll when you're building, and can be slightly cumbersome (imo) to use. The number of times I've accidentally refreshed the page and lost what I was working on is a bit annoying.

It's all down to personal preference, really.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

if you're going to tournaments they generally prefer that you use Azyr or Warscroll Builder, both produce much more easily readable lists than Battlescribe.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
There's the aformentioned stuff but I want to say my specific beef with the Battlescribe AoS data at the time at least was that I was trying to make a Tzeentch list and it was an absolute pain in the rear end to figure out how to incorporate StD units into it whereas Warscroll Builder would give you all your valid options and mark out the Battleline ones.

TBF this was back when Warscroll Builder was more consistent with linking the actual warscrolls to the unit list.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Danimo posted:

This thread easily has the most negativity I've seen about AoS 3 outside of GW facebook comments.

Age of Sigmar 2 was most a strict upgrade to AoS1 and AoS3 does feel like more of an attempt to add more interactivity and flavor to the game mechanics while changing the look and feel of the table a bit. I'm down for it.

Reports from people who have got a lot of 3.0 games in reflect a decent change in how the "double turn" feels. The heroic actions, monster rampages and extra command point legimately make your opponent's turns more interactive. It isn't going to completely nullify the advantage of getting two turns in a row, sure, but thats just the game.

It kind of reminds me of a card game, we call these command points but really they're reaction mechanics and they're great.

HeyWoah is a really, really good content man for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ9bpDyCD4g

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Haha, I don’t know why people listen heywoah on those things. He has continually been wrong in his predictions of anything from how the meta will change after a new army book to how specific ability/unit interactions will have a massive impact. Way more than he is right. Also, in that video he talks about how GW has learned from fantasy, and is increasing the model points cost, to reduce the number of models, to avoid pricing people out of the hobby, and cause the veterans to tell new people to get their models from 3D printing and china. It’s about the dumbest analysis of a GW points increase I’ve ever heard. Like, have you seen the success of 40k? Because you clearly have no idea about what the relative costs of a fantasy was, or why it was played less and less. Anyway, his analysis of current meta okay, and kinda funny, sometimes.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Haha, I don’t know why people listen heywoah on those things. He has continually been wrong in his predictions of anything from how the meta will change after a new army book to how specific ability/unit interactions will have a massive impact. Way more than he is right. Also, in that video he talks about how GW has learned from fantasy, and is increasing the model points cost, to reduce the number of models, to avoid pricing people out of the hobby, and cause the veterans to tell new people to get their models from 3D printing and china. It’s about the dumbest analysis of a GW points increase I’ve ever heard. Like, have you seen the success of 40k? Because you clearly have no idea about what the relative costs of a fantasy was, or why it was played less and less. Anyway, his analysis of current meta okay, and kinda funny, sometimes.

I thought it was a very nice and entertaining breakdown of what has changed, and he has a very pleasant voice.

Obviously his opinions aren't gospel, he is just some guy. Doesn't make the video worthless if a couple of them don't scan.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm not entirely sure why he said that. I know that AoS's design goals are way different from 1.0, since that was to have it be more of a modeling and painting hobby with a beer 'n pretzels coat of paint. That didn't work obviously.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think you can quibble about GW's reasons for doing so but I think its pretty inarguable that GW wants less models on the table in 3.0. Between the across the board points increases and the reinforcement mechanic its pretty obvious what they're going for.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I think it’s a good/great thing - I don’t know how big a change it actually is, since battalions are free and I haven’t done the math on a lot of builds yet, but at a glance I kinda wish the increase was more. Also, some armies are disproportionately affected by it which is a shame, I guess that’s inevitable though.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I haven't watched the full stream and all but is it true with WH+ you get the unique miniature one year into the subscription?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They definitely want smaller armies and a more cramped board. I think it’s a good thing - they seem to be trying to encourage variety in units, and I like that aesthetically.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Furism posted:

I haven't watched the full stream and all but is it true with WH+ you get the unique miniature one year into the subscription?

Yes. From the sounds of it, if you keep your sub for a year, you choose either the Orruk or Assassin for free, with the option to buy the other. T&C to come later though, so we'll find out more info in August.

TBH, this is the only reason I'm considering subscribing, because none of the rest of the offers sound at all appealing to me.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
latest article on community site really hints that the new AOS app is going the route of the 40k app, free beta, will have to pay to make it useful at all once released. I didn't use Azyr all that much, but a little worried the warscroll builder might disappear once the new app hits to try and funnel eyes to it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes. From the sounds of it, if you keep your sub for a year, you choose either the Orruk or Assassin for free, with the option to buy the other. T&C to come later though, so we'll find out more info in August.

Well this is bullshit then. If I take a one year subscription I should get the model right away. I understand why they want a threshold of 12 months if you go for monthly payments, but if you commit to a year right from the start then give me my loving Megaboss right now what the gently caress.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is not a case of "I need instant gratification", and it'll probably take me a year to paint the whole Dominion box anyway. It's just a matter of principle. :colbert:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Furism posted:

Or if you already subscribe to the 40k app (or couldn't figure out how to cancel it), you get it NINE months into the term!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Furism posted:

Well this is bullshit then. If I take a one year subscription I should get the model right away. I understand why they want a threshold of 12 months if you go for monthly payments, but if you commit to a year right from the start then give me my loving Megaboss right now what the gently caress.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is not a case of "I need instant gratification", and it'll probably take me a year to paint the whole Dominion box anyway. It's just a matter of principle. :colbert:

They want you to ride out the full $60, rather than getting your model and then cancelling. Can't dispute the charge this way.

What will be interesting is if they open both models for purchase with any sub level. i.e. if I only sub for two months, will GW email me a year later and say "Hey - wanna buy these for $50 each?" Which seems like something they might be prone to.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

berzerkmonkey posted:

They want you to ride out the full $60, rather than getting your model and then cancelling. Can't dispute the charge this way.

What will be interesting is if they open both models for purchase with any sub level. i.e. if I only sub for two months, will GW email me a year later and say "Hey - wanna buy these for $50 each?" Which seems like something they might be prone to.

Guy who works in credit cards here:

That isn't how disputing charges works and GW showing that they sent the model to their payment processor would be enough to find the dispute in favor of the merchant

If they're getting rid of the current app and are expecting me to pay five times as much as I currently pay for the same item, I probably won't be interested in AOS unless my armies get some huge overhaul years down the line

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I am pissed off that azyr is going and will be replaced by some more expensive thing that will be a total piece of poo poo if the 40k app is the template.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

Guy who works in credit cards here:

That isn't how disputing charges works and GW showing that they sent the model to their payment processor would be enough to find the dispute in favor of the merchant

If they're getting rid of the current app and are expecting me to pay five times as much as I currently pay for the same item, I probably won't be interested in AOS unless my armies get some huge overhaul years down the line

I meant disputing it with GW to the point where they just write it off because they don't wanna deal with your rear end anymore.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I read the Warhammer Community announcement as “the new app will eventually be included in Warhammer+”, not “the new app will only be available as part of Warhammer+”. It’s entirely possible but they didn’t come out and say that the big subscription would be the only way to get it.

I’m not that interested in 40K animations but all the other stuff together seems like it could be a good deal. The month-long free beta for new Azyr is already more encouraging than how the 40k app launched

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Deleter posted:

Never buy campaign books.

Fair, but they did stick half my army's battletome in one.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
So as someone who's just getting back into painting minis, and seeing a bunch of talk of AoS as a good way to both paint minis but also actually be able to play with them, it sounds as if waiting for 3.0 is probably the smart thing to do?

Am I also correct in thinking that buying one of the faction "Start Collecting" boxes is generally good value for money in terms of number of minis I get and will also give me what I need to actually play?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

So as someone who's just getting back into painting minis, and seeing a bunch of talk of AoS as a good way to both paint minis but also actually be able to play with them, it sounds as if waiting for 3.0 is probably the smart thing to do?

Am I also correct in thinking that buying one of the faction "Start Collecting" boxes is generally good value for money in terms of number of minis I get and will also give me what I need to actually play?

3.0 is already "here" and yeah, start collecting boxes usually are good value to get. There's plenty of youtube videos that can tell you exactly which Sigmar stuff is the best and how many points/units are in them----this one is a good starting point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ-NAJTy3Qo

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm really surprised they chose to make the animations, apparently, exclusive to WH+. They should have signed a deal with Netflix or something, just for the increased reach. That would bring so much more people to Warhammer. If you stick to WH+ you're showing the animations not only to people already aware of Warhammer, but also already super committed to it (because they're subscribers to something very much optional). You're not going to sell them much more poo poo ; whereas it's hard to imagine how many teenagers would want to pick up a Start Collecting box after watching a Space Marines animation show on Netflix.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Furism posted:

I'm really surprised they chose to make the animations, apparently, exclusive to WH+. They should have signed a deal with Netflix or something, just for the increased reach. That would bring so much more people to Warhammer. If you stick to WH+ you're showing the animations not only to people already aware of Warhammer, but also already super committed to it (because they're subscribers to something very much optional). You're not going to sell them much more poo poo ; whereas it's hard to imagine how many teenagers would want to pick up a Start Collecting box after watching a Space Marines animation show on Netflix.

I don't know that a major streaming co would want these crappy cartoons.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

JBP posted:

I thought this at first as well, and then I thought about the endless stream of drivel that Netflix is very happy to churn out.

I don’t know jack about streaming or broadcasting so I imagine there is some nuance here that we aren’t privy to.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Magic posted:

I thought this at first as well, and then I thought about the endless stream of drivel that Netflix is very happy to churn out.

I don’t know jack about streaming or broadcasting so I imagine there is some nuance here that we aren’t privy to.

The algorithm won't give a gently caress about Warhammer cartoons is your answer as to why there is drivel and shitloads of anime.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

berzerkmonkey posted:

I meant disputing it with GW to the point where they just write it off because they don't wanna deal with your rear end anymore.

i dont think a retailer that has an international distribution network makes business decisions factoring in the question of "what if our payment processor gets DDOS'd by dorks who want a free mini?"

edit:

JBP posted:

isn't the whole reason the animators of this stuff got connected with GW because they went viral on youtube?

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 25, 2021

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

PotatoManJack posted:

The launch box for the 3rd edition has an extremely good value too, for $200 USD you get over $500 USD of minis. And even with that, you could sell the faction you don't like on eBay.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.warhammer-community.com...nRealms25June21

Not a bad story

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/25/designers-notes-how-points-changes-make-the-new-edition-more-balanced-than-ever/

So if they're is having points only being granular "by a factor of 5" why bother having 5 points be the smallest increment? Why not just divide everything by 5 and have one point be the smallest increment?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

People are just really used to thinking about Warhammer points in that scale.

5 point increments are dumb as hell though. Just make it 10 like it de facto was before.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

People are just really used to thinking about Warhammer points in that scale.

5 point increments are dumb as hell though. Just make it 10 like it de facto was before.

Nah I like the doubling in options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Floppychop posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/25/designers-notes-how-points-changes-make-the-new-edition-more-balanced-than-ever/

So if they're is having points only being granular "by a factor of 5" why bother having 5 points be the smallest increment? Why not just divide everything by 5 and have one point be the smallest increment?

It always makes me laugh in games where they go the opposite way - "This monster has 8000 power vs. this one's 10000!"

(They never use those extra digits)