Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
bracketed word + topical joke is a good format, that’s basically what I do with the FFXIV discord channel names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

I just find it concerning the amount of ablest and homophobic terms used to get mad about chat threads. Someone literally said the chat threads were "gay" at some point in this mess. Lots of weirdly dehumanizing poo poo too.

That was also me, I called it gay, which I'm allowed to do, because I think that's a funny thing to do

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Elephanthead posted:

Can we change the chat thread back to the trump thread since he is campaigning again and almost died meaning we almost got 15,000 Donald J Trump named schools. He deserves at least a thread named after him for his service.

If your asking for admin permission, sure.

If you think it will add to cspam and it's something people want?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thank you Admin people for listening to our incredibly overwrought opinions about posting .

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im gonna be a heel and name it the joetown hoedown

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Schnorkles posted:

i have no idea why this is presented as a "bad thing."

It is more just unwieldy and also every thread with a recognizable community absolutely needs an active IK at all times.

Oh Snapple! posted:

It seems like a simple, on paper, way to handle this would be for the mods to largely just run the queue on largely basic, general forums rules and to consult thread IKs when something kinda eh comes up in a thread they largely have nothing to do with.

More important, though, would be an openness to realizing that the way one thread runs does not necessarily translate to all others (nor should it) and a willingness to act with some level of contrition when they clearly clash with a thread's culture. This is not a "thread regulars get anyone out of trouble" thing so much as a "just read the room" thing.

The problem is when a mod needs to come into a thread he doesn't frequent and can't really "read" the room. One solution would simply just have different mods with at least a little bit of a diverse background that can respond to at least some of the threads they know and then have IKs under them that can fill in the gaps. Some of it is just a recognition that the different threads can't be administered in a general manner.

I guess you would have to have at least one "megathread mod" (it seems like the area threads/climate change/doomsday econ/the Marxism thread and maybe the Succ thread have a fair amount of cross over (I am sure someone will contest this)) , a "lifestyle" mod, and a "Trump" mod. (This is just theoretical not an actual suggestion of what to do.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Jun 29, 2021

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ardennes posted:

It is more just unwieldy and also every thread with a recognizable community absolutely needs an active IK at all times.

The problem is when a mod needs to come into a thread he doesn't frequent and can't really "read" the room. One solution would simply just have different mods with at least a little bit of a diverse background that can respond to at least some of the threads and then have IKs under them that can fill in the gaps. Some of it is just a recognition that the different threads can't be administered in a general manner.

Just to clarify, by "read the room" I mean "if the thread reacts poorly, find out why". I absolutely understand that some things can require immediate action and the moderator might be the only person around to deal with something.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id say "just have agreed upon, boring rules and enforce them with utter disdain" so people can fight over rules instead of personalities and maybe get some consistency, but if the people of cspam wanna have the IKocracy soviet council then hell, go big

people seem to prefer having less formality and that'd be one way to stop things feeling regimented

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

some plague rats posted:

That was also me, I called it gay, which I'm allowed to do, because I think that's a funny thing to do

Real 2004 hours over here. Can't believe Bush got reelected.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Please repeal the rule not to make fun of DnD. This is a fyad lite, after all.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
the current mods are complicit in the ald/squizzle bullshit, and were similarly complicit in flavius's terrible modding of the marxism and china/eurasia threads

demod the current mods, find chill new mods

more than 1 page worth of posts in the trmup thread should be instant disqualification for modship (and grounds for death)

more than 1 gangtag should be instant disqualification for modship (and grounds for death)

most of the iks atm are fine and if more iks are needed then i guess given threads can choose their own

let the trmup losers have their dumb rear end thread for their lovely catch phrases but they should be probed if they transport that garbage into other threads

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
the one mod people spoke well of was brutalistmcdonalds and thats because they never used their buttons and regularly made (make) effort posts in interesting threads

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

swimsuit posted:

more than 1 page worth of posts in the trmup thread should be instant disqualification for modship (and grounds for death)

more than 1 gangtag should be instant disqualification for modship (and grounds for death)

my feedback is that this sucks

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

I think the Eurasia thread should be moved to Coupons so we can get discounts on Eurasia and Eurasia accessories

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm just glad we have all this level headed feedback about chat threads so we know who the real brain damaged people on CSPAM are

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

CSPAM is FYAD for losers who like politics and have no sense of humor. None of us (myself included) could have handled FYAD in its heyday.

Also, please let us make fun of DnD. Pretty please mods.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

I think we should split the Glen Greenwald thread into a "Glenn" thread (for all Glenns) and a "Greenwald" thread (for all Greenwalds). Glenn Greenwald discussion now goes to TV IV

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Can we change the chat thread back to the trump thread since he is campaigning again and almost died meaning we almost got 15,000 Donald J Trump named schools. He deserves at least a thread named after him for his service.

We should rename it the moment that he stops being a feeble old loser whose rallies suck so much rear end that event the Q freaks cant get pumped up from them.

Until he has earned it there is the primary thread

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

This isn't a thread for feedback on FYAD.

Zurtilik has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Jun 29, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This isn't a thread for giving feedback on FYAD

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I believe we should make the following sweeping changes to things that displease me, personally:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

euphronius posted:

thank you Admin people for listening to our incredibly overwrought opinions about posting .

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

Real 2004 hours over here. Can't believe Bush got reelected.

lol shut up you loving idiot. Don't try to police what gay people say like a weird little nerd

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean it's largely not enforced unless people are being stupid as poo poo

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This isn't a thread for giving feedback on FYAD

Yeah.

I don't really give a poo poo about hearing about other forums in this thread.

And hell, for the most part, you shouldn't care what other forums are doing either. Enjoy your own place. Don't worry about other bullshit.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

some plague rats posted:

lol shut up you loving idiot. Don't try to police what gay people say like a weird little nerd

Are you also mentally impaired and that's your defense for calling people brain damaged?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

Are you also mentally impaired and that's your defense for calling people brain damaged?

Stop being such a weiner

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Then just get rid of it. It's so silly that we can't source quotes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

swimsuit posted:

the current mods are complicit in the ald/squizzle bullshit, and were similarly complicit in flavius's terrible modding of the marxism and china/eurasia threads

demod the current mods, find chill new mods

most of the iks atm are fine and if more iks are needed then i guess given threads can choose their own

let the trmup losers have their dumb rear end thread for their lovely catch phrases but they should be probed if they transport that garbage into other threads

harsh but fair

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah it seems like the unwritten rule is that it’s fine to do a little scoffing at bad posts from other forums and offsite as long as it doesn’t turn into a circlejerk about posting enemies and forum vendettas

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

harsh but fair

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Then just get rid of it. It's so silly that we can't source quotes.

nothing is gained by sourcing them. consider unsourced as the 'lite' part of fyad-lite.

like this is peak dumbass succ zoner thing in having a good thing going and then trying to push it further for absolutely 0 gain

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Spergin Morlock posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There are unironic golden state and lakers fans too, that's shameful.

How about we call it a day and make it illegal to be a Clippers, Kings, Lakers, or Warriors fan in CSPAM.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the unsourced quote thing largely started because discord weirdoes start flooding reports(or a certain mod starts tantruming) if we quote directly, which inevitably leads to an angry mod showing up and doing something dumb, which starts drama, and it becomes a total shitshow

nobody really seems willing to deal with that whole situation though so unsourced quotes are the compromise and it works decently well

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Ultra Carp

Spergin Morlock posted:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How about we call it a day and make it illegal to be a Clippers, Kings, Lakers, or Warriors fan in CSPAM.

now this is what a harsh, fair compromise looks like.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

unsourced quotes have always been way more fun than sourced ones, why would you want to change that?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/8Y8Wgcf.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

nothing is gained by sourcing them. consider unsourced as the 'lite' part of fyad-lite.

like this is peak dumbass succ zoner thing in having a good thing going and then trying to push it further for absolutely 0 gain

I think sourcing quotes from other places on this forum leads to way more drama than comedy. I only read the democrats/ liberals thread sporadically but I think it’s fine the way it is.