Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Chat thread serves its purpose as a dump for poo poo posts/quarantine for posters who like to spam about their lives and should be left alone (and probably IK'd by a known chat poster). That thread shouldn't have much power over the rest of the subforum though and while mega threads can be bad, I think there is a trend lately with more threads being made.

More hands off moderation would be nice but also dealing with the aggro idiots who can take over threads when posting about posters should be probed more often though.

Also, someone unrelated should probably check in occasionally just to make sure everything hasn't gone to poo poo. Some insanely bad posters were left to fester in there, which seems to just be a natural consequence of a megathread getting too insular.

My only real complaints nowadays are the strange desire to have every thread properly sorted with Proper Thread Titles Formats using [Brackets] and such rather than letting things grow organically, and our mods being thin-skinned weridos who would rather circle the wagons for a billion years than admit any iota of fault(iks are generally fine though)

Otherwise c-spam is pretty good, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

my cricket knowledge remains limited to that there's a wicket, that it's an innings and

simmons is crouched deep in the cow corner, keeping an eye on the silly mid on, we've got some real cricket here folks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Not to get too much into it, I posted in D&D for a really long time before Cspam existed, and honestly it it too has its ebbs and flows over the years. Right now, I think the divide is about as stark as the LF-era but at the same time I am a bit of a romantic about provoking discussion regardless of the forum. Also, it may be low-key my fault for trying to merge the D&D Trump thread and the 2018-era version of USPOL in the first place...which may have had a bit of a domino effect.

As for c-spam modding, to be absolutely frank, I think it is just in a very awkward position at the moment and it is unclear what cspammers want or if what they want is workable. For example, I have nothing against Larry (just an example) but I might find myself in a position where I would need to probate him and I don't know if I quite trust cspammers not to come after me. Even if it was legitimate probation and I have my reputation or whatever but I rather not have a target on my back. I like cspam, but I think a lot of cspammers have rhetorically trapped themselves into a position where it is a very difficult to make it work.

(Btw I know the whole back history of why this is so, it is just what I see going on right now.)

C-spam responds best to not being treated like absolute dogshit. Mods/Admins that actually ask for input or don't dismiss us as a howling mob generally get a way more positive response and are given way more slack than some dipshit bursting into the democ**t or glenn thread ready to LAY DOWN SOME FORUMS LAW

The Troubles generally only happen when someone gets hit with a serious punishment for no reason and then the staff doubles-down on the bad decision and circles the wagons. This has never once ended well for whatever bad mod started it, and inevitably leads to a hilariously embarrassing revelation followed by a self-ban.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Athanatos posted:

One of the top complaints about forum usability (besides dark mode) is/was "None of this poo poo makes any sense." It's why we have extended forum directory with subtitles now.

The meme is "Dead, dying forum" but, that's not super true, so new people trying to find a place to have a discussion about the topic they want are/were having issues.

I'm a moron so this may be a bad example, but 2 days ago I had to ask for the covid thread link (it's renamed to something now), so it happens. In my own forum I have [Thread Title] - (Whatever joke title), so if you need to find the AFC South thread, it's a quick look.

I think the brackets here help a fuckton if the community wants 98% joke title coverage.

That's fair, it's more of a personal gripe than anything

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

swimsuit posted:

the current mods are complicit in the ald/squizzle bullshit, and were similarly complicit in flavius's terrible modding of the marxism and china/eurasia threads

demod the current mods, find chill new mods

more than 1 page worth of posts in the trmup thread should be instant disqualification for modship (and grounds for death)

more than 1 gangtag should be instant disqualification for modship (and grounds for death)

most of the iks atm are fine and if more iks are needed then i guess given threads can choose their own

let the trmup losers have their dumb rear end thread for their lovely catch phrases but they should be probed if they transport that garbage into other threads

harsh but fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the unsourced quote thing largely started because discord weirdoes start flooding reports(or a certain mod starts tantruming) if we quote directly, which inevitably leads to an angry mod showing up and doing something dumb, which starts drama, and it becomes a total shitshow

nobody really seems willing to deal with that whole situation though so unsourced quotes are the compromise and it works decently well