Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe you are in good faith trying to get an honest read on cspam but there has been so much nonsense lately it’s hard to tell. even in this thread there is a lot of fake posting

imho cspam is a leftist forum that needs light ideological moderation as it’s mostly refugees from overwhelmingly negative liberal moderation .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shine posted:

Hello, I am here now to take all credit/scorn for what has been entirely Athanatos' chats with y'all while I was working, sleeping, sleeping in, doing my ASL lesson*, running errands, and deadlifting things. I probably won't a ton to say unless I'm directly asked something, as I'm generally more a lurker admin than a :words: admin (sup Ath), but I am reading the conversations.

I appreciate the topic of "what should mods do here?" being addressed by the community. C-SPAM gets shitloads of reports (not D&D levels, but way more than, say, Games or GBS), many of which are for things like "posting bad opinions," but I've always understood this to be a relaxed rules forum where people are encouraged to post at each other about stuff and only use buttons for slurs or spamming or whatever, so hearing feedback about what y'all want a mod to do is hella useful. I'd encourage anybody else reading to add to this conversation.

I will be around this evening. Thanks for having us!

*If anybody else is a new ASL student and wants a practice partner, holler.

I am incredibly untrustworthy of this endeavor but I will give my opinion .

I am not an expert or have thought about this in any real degree but imho what I would like to see and what I think mods should be aware of is:

1. it’s a forum for leftist political real posting, effort posting, poo poo posting and chat threads hopefully free of liberal moderation which plagues other forums
2. mods should step in to prevent people from
being harassed and bullied due to their status as that kind of poo poo can and has easily chased people away and created a less interesting forum . this is more a community development / protection issue I guess
3. be aware of the tremendous amount of “ironic” fake posting aimed at cspam due to its status of a leftist forum.

obviously also step in to prevent secret service poo poo to the extent that ever happened which I’ve heard various rumors about who knows

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it definitely started IN PART to get some space for leftists to post away from liberals. as far as I remember it. it was a long time ago

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brute Squad posted:

That always seemed like a side-effect of people being able to create threads easily in early YCS and c-spam. That combined with hillary posters not re-regging, conservative posters continuing to out themselves as horrible reprehensible bigots, and the general impact of hell world on everyone you'd get a leftward movement in a controlled space like this.

Early IKs were posters like baloogan, boosted_c5, and fishmech. Bastions of leftism they are not.

good points

I def misremembered

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree mods should be Mostly hands off but if they want the forum to keep going and thrive they do - in my opinion - need to make some effort to protect posters who get targeted. It’s hard to do I admit and they have to read threads to understand what is just nonsense poo poo posting and what is actual malignant bullying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh so there needs to be more effort posting is what I am reading.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i personally do not read cspam

I mean come on then. what are you posting about then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh I misread it excuse me . I apologize Tiller Kiwi

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

I don't think there are any major issues with CSPAM that need to be resolved. It's the forum for shitposting about politics and current events and that's fine. If people don't like the posting in a particular thread, they can start their own (which mods should leave alone and not gas) and see if other people want to post there. If there are abusive or harmful posts, those should be reported for a mod to deal with or discussed with mods in PMs.

Please just let people shitpost in peace instead of indulging the few who have some weird grudge to settle or enjoy trolling here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think people can read two threads on games. one in cspam and one in games. in fact even games has many different threads on games and different games sub forums

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

shine do you want feedback to your observations or just want us to all move on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jazerus posted:

it is the same as it ever was! it's the same people, about the same topics, with the same level of injokes and such. it's genuinely very strange to see people who i know have posted in cspam for a long time, like yourself, misunderstand this, or try to portray an antagonistic relationship between the chat thread and the wider subforum. it feels like an elaborate gaslighting.

that’s exactly what it is

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Athanatos posted:

I want to quote Shine's post again, and ask if these are the correct reads of your forum here. I don't want to leave here with wrong information:

it is on a whole not a correct read on the forum and has some pretty bad oversights which - if they become the basis of future policy - will likely have deleterious effects on the current community

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

c-spam is, at best, completely unrecognizable from what it used to be.

part of this is because the world is obviously changing and such but huge groups of posters have left or been banned at several different points. the trump thread has mostly become unrecognizable from what it used to be, idk if its for the better or not.

honestly my energy levels for posting have gone way, way down (maybe that's for the best) and i mostly can lay it at the feet at how poorly this group has been stewarded and the complete mismanagement from lowtax and the administration.

e: this came off a bit more "get off my lawn" and whiny-as-hell than i meant it to be. i guess mostly what i'm saying is that I don't even know what the point of the forum is anymore. there were several different times I thought I "got it" and then a whole bunch of the people got banned or left for good.

The Lowtax bans should be reversed and ameliorated to the extent they can be.

euphronius has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Jun 28, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If there are more of these outstanding, I'm listening. "People unfairly banned by lowtax" is a group of people spanning twenty years and I certainly have not reviewed all of them.

I was referring to a specific incident during the twilight of lowtax. I am sorry I was not more specific. (honestly, I was thinking when I hit post I should have been more specific).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Most of these were undone. I just looked through them again and found "unwantedplatypus" and "Juttuma" and unbanned them. The only remaining one I saw that hadn't unbanned since then was Lastgirl, who I simultaneously think has no interest in coming back, and was banned for encouraging people to hoard thermite from university labs, which is......well a $10 offense at the very least.

ok thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thank you Admin people for listening to our incredibly overwrought opinions about posting .