Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

CSPAM is, at it's best, a relaxed forum where you can just post a political thought or idea and you don't need to justify any effort or thought. You can make a funny one liner post, you can put effort into a post through words or art, or you can make a big ol block of text maybe only two people read. All three have audiences here that will engage with you.

Where CSPAM fails is that, its only rarely ever reaches that potential and is mostly a couple of megathreads that people probably use bookmarks to find filled with thread regulars that will post 100 times a day. The best threads in the subforum usually get maybe a page a day or even a week - if that.

Where it really fails, is that some of the worst threads have been where the majority of mods and IKs have come from over the past few years. And so their idea of CSPAM is one where misspelling trumps name is the height of hilarity and making 10 million posts a day about food is what should be happening in this subforum.

If CSPAM had a lot more threads and less megathreads, I feel like this place would be a lot better. I also think making sure you have a diverse mod crew so you don't get like all of the mods coming from one thread deciding policy for the whole place when this subforum has really good posters, and really bad posters.

For good posters, I think joepinetree and ytalya are both really good. I enjoy Pener and gradenko's posts as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Athanatos posted:

What are some of the slower threads you enjoy? (Same question for anyone)

I personally feel the same way about megathreads. They need to be rebooted often. I've found in my years of being here, when a megathread is new...new people are more likely to show up and hang out. When a thread is 4000 pages and someone new jumps in, everyone tends to go "omg this guy didn't read page 221, what a loving loser"

A bonus of the rebooting threads...people have to click the directory more often and see other poo poo they may enjoy.

I enjoy the Marxism thread, the failing new York times thread, the recently opened Grayzone thread has been good. I like the glenn greenwald thread because it's always been a thunderdome of two very different style of posters in cspam. The various regional threads are all good, even if they lean more towards megathread now. Most of the problems come from American politic megathreads for... reasons that are pretty obvious.

Larry Parrish posted:

i guess I just think in general the forum should have more discussion and less Lmfao can't believe we're going to let the fires rage because it's time to Open Biden

Bringing back the banning of memes and catchphrases would help cspam tremendously in getting a bit more creative. I'm not saying people can't ever just have a low effort shitpost, but when every post is just a meme or a reference it feels like you're reading a comments section.

Someone also mentioned having a threadsday type in cspam and that could be a good idea honestly. There were a couple of megathreads that had their start from sjy doing that a few years back.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Athanatos posted:

This is another one of those things that's weird to find the balance in a forum like this. It's also, one of the weird things about QCS that cda brought up once.

Lets use your last example. The witchcraft, tarot, whatever thread was their own community. They had their own rules and whatever for their thread that they expected. When someone broke them, they expected that to be fixed BUT, that thread also lives in CSPAM, where it's not a "try hard post with effort" forum, so someone clicking the thread is coming in with different expectations.

So which is the right call?

Do you let each thread set their own standards, and if someone stops by to disrupt them probe it? Or do you let the fact that you are in CSPAM direct the standards for your thread?

cda once said that all the people that come to QCS are use to, and expect the level of moderation from their own forum. That's what they come from, so QCS threads to one set of people are loving horrible and to others are just the normal way things goes. It's the same thing for different threads in here. Witches wanted their hangout troll free, CSPAM overall works a little different.

The witchcraft thread was open for like two days before Larry "trolled it" by saying it was a bourgeois hobby and got thrown out for a week. That is not enough time to build a culture, that was 100% just mods deciding arbitrarily that now the thread is serious business.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, sorry, I reread my post and I intended it to be more of an example of "How should this thing be handled" not a retelling of that event.

My question still stands:

Is a single thread here with a certain vibe more important than the overall forum feel?

If every thread had their own IK with their own way of doing poo poo, and you got a probe for say using the letter 'k' in the "CSPAM Space Thread" because that's what they wanted, would that poo poo be beyond annoying rather than have a set of mods watching all threads and a standard set forum wide?

My ideal is IKs more just being the people to stop slapfights and know the thread culture and less wacky rules with the thread itself serving as the police. If a thread does want to be more serious or has a big ol NO TROLLS ALLOWED, then yes that's fair for an IK to just slap someone down. Obviously, if the thread can't police itself, then the IK steps in, and if the IK fails then a mod that hopefully is more understanding of the culture.

Some Guy TT posted:

i personally browse cspam directly and find that new threads drop off the front page easily enough that theres often just not much point to making new ones

this isnt just a guess on my part i tried making a piss poll thread and an impeachment thread a few months back and neither one stuck despite both being fairly on brand topics

more recently the sports thread is just barely holding on and it doesnt help that baseball and basketball got their own threads not that i hold it against anyone for only wanting to talk about the sport they like and ignoring the other ones

Does CSPAM really need sports threads though? Media threads make sense to me, but I visit the sports forum - politics is talked about almost constantly. It's not the focus, but it's not like it's taboo to talk politics or even focus on it in relation to sports. TFF talks about it just enough for my tastes, before going back to football. Hell, go post "Tom brady is a chud and a cheater" in TFF right now and you'll likely get 5 empty quotes.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my new feedback is that I like the above users av, and Omori is a great game and everyone in cspam should play it

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean yeah the covid thread is bad but also I think the thread about a world wide pandemic becoming full of doom is both unique and unlikely to be repeated in the near future and doesn't feel like a great example of normal cspam. Like, I just don't know what else to expect from a covid thread except doom unless someone is moderating it really hard.

This isn't really directed anyone specific, just my two cents incase someone looks at the covid thread and thinks that's typical cspam. The thread about an active pandemic is darker than most.

I'd say break probes and maybe locking the thread for a day. Not as punishments, but just as a general "hey, try to have some optimism in your posting". This isn't a call to do some forced positivity - if the situation is bad, it's bad and should be allowed to be called bad. But if things are good or trending good or theres reasons to be hopeful, don't just subside into doom for no reason.

I wouldn't suggest this for the climate thread though because lol there's nothing positive there, just don't look in that thread.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I haven't dipped into the Covid thread in a while, but this is the kind of heavy handed moderation that I don't think will be terribly effective. It may temporarily cut down on a specific "unwanted" kind of posting, but will probably backfire into the thread turning on the mod team. Maybe a mod presence that instead tries to guide the discussion in a different direction through good posts might have a more positive and long lasting affect.

I'm going to agree with you, and say it's better for mods to be hand on in steering it towards positive subjects rather than heavy handed like I suggested. I havent peered in that thread since early in the pandemic because the anxiety just seeing that thread created in me was nigh on crippling. And considering I've seen people say it got even worse with doomerism has colored my perception of it.

Athanatos posted:

It's most of the time someone who was just involved in making fun of that person in a CSPAM thread.

Which, CSPAM is not in charge of every user who posts there, but it seems like when there is a thread or space for making GBS threads on someone or a post here, it never just stops here.

If this is about the succ zone/dems thread I think we should be clear: a large amount of people who post in that thread understand the rules and limits you guys want. No Sourcing quotes, no touching the poop, no running back and trying to get other people to join in on arguments etc. There have been people who still try but they get mocked and are not the majority, and if you want to clamp down on them hard without tearing down the thread itself - I don't think anyone will have a problem with it besides the people who get hit.

Hell, make Oh Snapple an IK of that thread - he's been pushing for people to stop bringing in dnd drama for years. I'd rather get mocked for needing a billion IKs then the thread discarded again because morons can't figure out that it's not funny when you jump out the safari vehicle.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Athanatos posted:

Depends on if you are counting reports as complaints, or QCS posts, or PMs, or Emails, or all of the above. poo poo I don't even think I could guess the number. My first instinct would be to say "HIGH" but that's mostly because every other forum that number is basically 0. That might make it feel more extreme...but the number is still pretty high. Now, a lot of them are horseshit babies just reporting or trying to tell on someone to get them in trouble because they hate them.

It's about even with the back and forth complaints, neither side really wins the "most complaints" award.

CSPAM posters trying to tattle on dnd posters should be mocked incessantly imo.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It would be nice for there to be less catchphrases to inspire some more creativity. It's only funny for the ingroups and people use them like swear words to make posts better and it ends up just making posts unreadable. I don't think I'd want it to be an official rule where mods are hunting down people for it, but less emphasis on using them would be cool.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

anyways i humbly and vainly submit this as the forums stylesheet again

Lol this is good. It'd be cool if you could pick the background like in fyad.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think that bad posters/people don't like will always exist especially when goons are involved. With bad posters you can tell them to gently caress off or just ignore them.

I think i'm in the minority that think threadbans are pretty lame. There are certain gimmick posters who's gimmick gets tiring but I just ignore those people.

I'm in the same minority then, because I think threadbans as a concept do not belong in cspam. Just ban or probe bad posts.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Roth posted:

Rest assured, I have banned the word "beefer" from QCS

The best mod

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fortaleza posted:

The goofy former alt text could use updating and AFAIK only admins can do that. I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, just wanted to get the ball rolling.

e:

how about "the politically illiterate ancap vs the actually illiterate anprim". I think about that post every now and then and do a little lol

Suggestions have been done in this thread, but if yall want to start a new thread to specificly solicite new ideas that's fine. Just please change it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I think cspam has been at it best the past month. Also, there's been no mods for the past month, huh wonder what the correlation is there!