Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

Any time mods try to change a forum they just make it worse. Just probe people who are pricks or bigots. If there's a thread you don't like, just don't look at it. Maybe they're in there posting pictures of cats and sandwiches communistically. Who cares?

this.

CSPAM has grown into a sort of meta-community under the umbrella of "political shitposting that leans hard left", and is more about having a fun time with the community on any given topic rather than strictly adhering to any given subject/topic/theme.

i think CSPAM needs staff that understands that, but also just kinda backs the gently caress off and lets the community manage itself for most things. imo the only thing that should really be moderated is spamming, illegal content, and maybe thread bans if someone is pathologically incapable of participating in established/productive threads in good faith/positive ways.

i don't see anything useful or productive coming about by trying to manage or curtail content in any way other than how its done organically already via people contributing or not.

some general stuff:
i think the games thread here is the best place to talk about the hobby online full stop.
the Epstein thread is incredibly right brained and fun
Internet C(um)ulture Warriors is a great museum of lovely grifters and terrible ideology
Cyberpunk Dystopia is a fun link/photo dump for our increasingly psychotic world
the Marxism thread is a wellspring of great knowledge that regularly teaches me interesting poo poo

i think it's awesome that CSPAM has quietly doled out over $100,000 to goons in need and Plinkey is awesome for managing it and going through the trouble of incorporating a charity to do so

could this community be better "structured" by external forces to be more on topic or productive? i guess. does it have to be? gently caress no. if people are lost when they look at the first page then they should explore more, if they don't get it they can leave, there's no shortage of people posting here and enjoying it.

edit:
with regards to encouraging or enabling more exploration in topics; it comes up often enough that I think a solution should be hammered out even if i don't really agree or care. the games thread had a 5 page tangent spitballing an asymmetrical online versus game about bigfoot trying to cum and getting interrupted by cryptid hunters and it was really funny, so threads that can kinda encapsulate that sort of old school "i have a premise that's funny, let's run this poo poo into the ground" style of SA posting would be fun.

I have a simple idea; a button on the thread list page that toggles the view to only threads created in the last 30 days and back to default, where people can easily find more tangential or focused posting to create comedy or whatever effect. i think it'd work really well, probably multiple places.

smarxist has issued a correction as of 11:52 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
re: "doomposting" can we just acknowledge to the best of our knowledge literally nobody on this forum has offed themselves or anyone else as a result of being tuned in to current events, the news, and the pending cascade of collapses circling our society, like the economy, climate, etc.?

i don't understand why it's anyone else's business what tone people take regarding an issue, especially contained within its own thread about the subject. if you want to argue that in some form or another "doomposting" (which isn't even decently defined whatsoever to anything approaching objectivity) is affecting other people's posting experiences elsewhere on the forums, then i'd say prove it, otherwise either start the thread you want to post in about a subject or go somewhere else, i really don't know why this is such a highly discussed aspect of CSPAM considering the aforementioned nebulousness, containment, and freedom to do/post whatever the hell you want anywhere else

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

*writes a long winded post about how peefing boofers has no traction and should be modded out of existence*

you'll never get emptyquoted like this, kid, you're FINISHED

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like the mischievous dachshund avatar adds something to it, it's a component of the brain withering aura that harton exudes

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
anyway, this thread is going to crash into a ditch soon so it might be a good idea to close for awhile or archive it as a wonderful productive success

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's cool how "weed lawyer" is a viable career now

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
using posting phrenology to submarine my perceived forum enemies

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Pener would be a great mod

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

resistentialism posted:

Does (apparently) objectionable trump thread material really get posted frequently in other threads?

no

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Death Panel Czar posted:

If people refuse to report things on a website it's because they don't trust the people responsible for handling the reports. Like I lurk all the time and would never report anything for any reason because mods shoving their dickbeaters into the soup and making everything worse seems to be a monthly occurance. Whereas y'all have this fantastic "ignore" button that ends all bad posting forever and doesn't potentially light QCS on fire or risk getting the posters I like probed because a bored Best Buy floor manager doesn't like their tone.

That's a great idea for a sitewide change, provided you also formalize some way of letting the community give them the boot and start over. Alternatively just write something that randomly bestows buttons on any two given active users for a week. Getting rid of bad mods is way more significant to readers than recruiting new ones, because mods aren't good posters and can only ever impede them to varying degrees.

this post is invaluable and incredibly correct

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's really weird and foolish to try and either navigate towards, or pine for, the energy that existed here under completely different circumstances/material conditions, 4 years or even 2 years ago. Posters are always going to cycle through and move on to other poo poo, some come back, some don't, new people take their place (generally in a diminishing returns way)

The focus should be on making what and who is still here as good as it can be, ameliorating tensions between disparate groups and what they consider to be "good posting" (just stay the gently caress away from each other tbqh), because it's wholly subjective and stupid as gently caress to argue the medium instead of just having a conversation about a current event, political news, social phenomenon, a hobby or whatever else we catch in the nets here.

CSPAM is still pretty great despite a lot of the strife and it's more of a "greater than the sum of its parts" type of thing than it is a laser focused, orderly experience with predictable content and quantifiable rulesets rigorously enforced. I post in a lot of different threads, and read a lot more even if I don't feel the need to participate, and I still pick up a lot of interesting knowledge from people sharing their experiences in ways that aren't possible in more rigidly structured posting environments centered on one topic.

So tl;dr just get some reliable, neutral queue janitors to hand time outs to the most aggressive/toxic people, and let the board continue doing what it does.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
You CHAT THREAD people and your crazy POSTING HEAD CANONS :argh:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Schnorkles posted:

bonds not being in the hall.

still!?!? lmao god i hate baseball writers

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Let's be fair, iirc it was radium who abused lists mercilessly

(lil programming humor for ya)

*Fixed a bug where the drop down menu list for forums would not populate until after the latest bitcoin block was mined

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

To me it all just reads as weird posting enemy drama.

f'real, there are people who decry "megathread posters" on like page 7321 of the "did Marx eat rear end?" thread

(yes he did)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh i kind of personally like it like that since thread names change a lot and it sometimes something catches your eye when you look down the list. it helps make new threads without it stand out too.

yeah I actually kinda like the [Brackets] because it gives you more latitude to get weird with the rest of the thread title, but i know goons hate change and effort in equal measures, so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm just glad we have all this level headed feedback about chat threads so we know who the real brain damaged people on CSPAM are