Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Hello CSPAM folks. Shine and I are admins here on SA and we need your help. Tell us about CSPAM! We want to hear good things, bad things, neutral things. I cant be a good admin and help with poo poo if I don't know about a place, so here I am. Things we'd love to hear about include:

• Threads that are great. Things that are funny or entertaining or informative. Why do you think as such?
  • People who deserve recognition for being great here and adding to the community. Forums are nothing without worth-a-poo poo people, who is under-recognized and deserves some props?
  • Things that loving suck in CSPAM. No place is roses all the time. What needs changed and WHY? What might not need a change per say...but is something you don't like.

This is your chance to write words about your home forum.

A few ground rules for this thread.

First of all, only Shine or I will be modding this thread. No CSPAM mods or IKs will use buttons in here. Since every forum has their own mod style, Shine and I may have a different feel for these things. I personally tend to give a lot of warnings first...then if I have to use buttons I make it longer since I warned. I trust ya'll not to gently caress around, I'm not worried. If I gently caress it up, I'll correct it, I ask you all do the same.

Second, this is NOT a thread for going after other posters. This is NOT the thread to report on other people. If it is your opinion a specific poster is ruining the entirety of CSPAM, send me or shine a private message and we can discuss that aspect of your issue. General is fine, specific names is not. This extends to other forums too. I don't want to hear about how the cat adoption thread in PI is somehow killing your enjoyment of CSPAM. I don't give a poo poo about other forums in the CSPAM thread here. A little addition to this, this is not a thread for judge and jury of the Mod and IK team. If there is something that needs mentioned, go ahead, but give me a reason why. Explanations are better than "They suck, the end." If you have a specific issue with a probe or Mod, please drop me or Shine a PM about it.

This is also more of a place to give your ideas and feelings, not to tear down others and get into some weird slap fight over bullshit. I want to hear YOUR thoughts, not your criticism of other people's ideas. I'm not going to make it a rule to not quote others, but I highly recommend, and would prefer, you create your own post with your own words instead of just quoting things you hate and going "I hate this."

Again, that top list item up there is pretty important. I know there can be a lot of poo poo things, but I want to learn about CSPAM bad AND good. There are some great things in here, tell me about them! Is there a thread or person you look forward to checking everyday? Is there something that gets a +1 post and you immediately click it? Why?

Also, what is CSPAM missing? Is there a thread you wish someone would make? Is there something been promised that you are still waiting on?

Some other housekeeping things:
This thread will be in slow mode.
This thread will most likely only be open when someone is around to monitor it. My apologies if that doesn't match up with the times you are on the forums. Our PMs are always open.
Probations will be handled by only me or Shine (or if another admin wants to get involved). This is not a probation free zone. If you suck, you can enjoy some time off while this thread is going. This is also not a forum-banned immunity zone.
No other Mods or Admins will be required to post in this thread. Do not call them out to answer for things. If they would like to stop by, they are free to.

If you wish to give thoughts but do not want to do so publicly you can PM me, I have the ability to add PMs to your account for a discussion if you need that just ask. Your feedback/name/username will remain anonymous to everyone but me or Shine. You may also include if you want your post shared with the thread, with the Mods, or to keep it fully Admin eyes only. I can also share your words with the thread, but leave your name off.

Shine and I both have SA Email addresses if you'd prefer that way of contact. They are:
Athanatos (athanatos@somethingawful.com)
Shine (shine@somethingawful.com)

That's it for now. There may be more updates in this space later. I will make sure to keep the thread updated if something comes across. Any questions directed at me I will try to answer, other general things I will also leave any thoughts I have. If you have something specific you want me to answer or my thoughts on, quote me so I know you want me to specifically answer instead of just read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Larry Parrish posted:

i think the biggest problem with this subforum is that absolutely nobody knows what it's supposed to be for, not even the mods. some people treat it as 'd&d, but with different mods'. personally I would say it's the Marxist political forum since you can do most of the same posting that happens here in the d&d forum, and it's really hard to actually argue with a liberal because you just have totally different base assumptions about the world. others treat it as some kind of weird friend zone and only post about lunch and buying respirators to brave the Wal-Mart exclusion zone. it has a lot of people posting in it which doesn't help any of this. i don't even, ultimately, particularly care what it's purpose is, so long as it has one.

also, nobody reads the stickies in this forum because the mods usually have it full of stupid poo poo, so it might be a while before anybody answers

Is it a problem with a solution or just something that CSPAM lives with because of how it is? I mean, hell, is it even a "problem" it is like that, or just something that should be kept in mind when deciding things for "cspam" as a whole?

It also makes sense that a forum with vaguely interconnected communities that stickies would be ignored/slower since I assume most people would live in their bookmarks, not browse the directory.

Edit: The sticky fatigue thing could also be true. Too many stickies defeat the purpose of them.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's the politics forum where you can tell people gently caress you and I think that's good.

There seem to be a lot of not politics threads for a politics forum

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think more than anything, being leftists means we have a different attitude towards even what would be normally considered "non-political" topics. I want to say we're pretty much all in agreement that everything is political, which will definitely put us at odds with the denizens of other subforums that usually focuses on those topics

At odds how? Does that make CSPAM a Safe Spot or a Quarantine Zone? Kinda joking with that 2nd question one there...but also wouldn't mind some elaboration.

some plague rats posted:

It seems like the biggest problem with cspam is that mods and IKs seems to be chosen exclusively from a pool of the most annoying, thin-skinned losers on the site and there's no obvious way to get rid of them when they continually make awful calls that drive everyone insane. This is not uniquely a cspam problem but it's where you asked

What would a good mod for CSPAM be and do?

Is there an archetype to look for? Is is even finding a "cspam mod" or should be be "find a mod for every iteration of cspam thread" and maybe one or two overalls to oversee the large group?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Larry Parrish posted:

i think it's ok to have off topic poo poo but I don't think it's terribly ok to have off topic threads if that makes sense. the gaming thread is kind of an exception because there's a lot to talk about when it comes to politics in books and games and movies. music is a less useful discussion topic imo but related. parenting and gardening and etc have basically no place here and appear to just be chat threads. i guess you could make the argument that the gardening one could be about organizing community gardens but somehow I doubt it.

What's the downside of having semi-offtopic threads in the thread list?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

really queer Christmas posted:

Where CSPAM fails is that, its only rarely ever reaches that potential and is mostly a couple of megathreads that people probably use bookmarks to find filled with thread regulars that will post 100 times a day. The best threads in the subforum usually get maybe a page a day or even a week - if that.

If CSPAM had a lot more threads and less megathreads, I feel like this place would be a lot better. I also think making sure you have a diverse mod crew so you don't get like all of the mods coming from one thread deciding policy for the whole place when this subforum has really good posters, and really bad posters.

What are some of the slower threads you enjoy? (Same question for anyone)

I personally feel the same way about megathreads. They need to be rebooted often. I've found in my years of being here, when a megathread is new...new people are more likely to show up and hang out. When a thread is 4000 pages and someone new jumps in, everyone tends to go "omg this guy didn't read page 221, what a loving loser"

A bonus of the rebooting threads...people have to click the directory more often and see other poo poo they may enjoy.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I turned slow mode off for now since I'm around.

WampaLord posted:

Personally, I've never seen this happen in a C-SPAM megathread, I don't think it's an actual problem.

Megathreads are going to happen and while I'm all for people making new smaller threads, the problem is that if the new smaller thread ends up successful, it just becomes a megathread eventually. If the new smaller thread isn't successful, it falls back a couple pages and effectively dies. I don't get the hate about megathreads.

I also don't see what "rebooting" a megathread accomplishes, I haven't really seen a bunch of new posters come out for a rebooted version of a megathread that they weren't already posting in.

I can't speak to specific CSPAM, but back when I asked before, ZDR had some things that showed, and personally in forums that I read, I've seen, when you reboot a thread on the regular, there are more people that show up. (that was a lot of loving qualifiers for that sentence) The longer a thread goes, the more insular (and a lot of times can be hostile to "outsiders") it becomes.

Also like I mentioned...people have to actually click the forum to refind their favorite thread instead of just living in bookmark land.

I don't think it hurts to go "Ok, new month, new thread!"

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I suppose there's a gradient here as to how related to the forum's "purpose" a thread is, but I don't know why a given forum's community can't have a little off topic thread about something. if there wasn't a desire for a parenting thread in CSPAM, it wouldn't be frequented and wouldn't be on the first page. but I think other people have a stronger idea of what a forum's purpose is meant to be than I do, which I respect

Yeah. It's trying to find what a Forum's place is. Is this a place for like-minded people to hang out...or is this a place for a discussion of a topic? It's different things to different people.

It also goes back to my "is this a safe space or quarantine zone" question. There is a pretty good and popular parenting thread in Ask/Tell. Does a "Politics Forum" need a parenting thread if there already is a space for that?

You all have also hit one of the issues with finding the right tone as a moderator. This is a very large forum. Some people feel like "doomposting" should be something a moderator should deal with...others feel like things should be very lightly moderated and only step in as a last effort thing. Being a moderator is trying to find the balance between that and finding the right call. Being a good moderator is about know what the community as a majority wants and being that, NOT molding a community to what you want.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

docbeard posted:

There's things I'm less fond of but rather than post about those (right now at least), my supper is ready and while I'm not gonna post about it I am gonna eat it.

I plan to let this run a few days at least, so no rush to form thoughts.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't really care about chat threads, they don't bother anything and I think SA has a real problem with people not just passing by things they find annoying but are not harmful. But if you're talking about things like the weather thread or gaming, everything is political. Games does not want to hear endless bullshit about leftism in video games. Cspam does. It fills a role.

Yeah, and I didn't mean to come off as attacking them or anything, just asking.

XXX thread but with sometimes a politics spin...can be a good thing. I know I don't want to hear about billionare fucks buying islands while in the Animal Crossing thread in games, but people do want to discuss that and it's good to have a spot so they don't become the rear end in a top hat in Games threads.

WampaLord posted:

I don't think it "hurts" but also it doesn't really gain anything either other than just making sure threads don't go too many pages, basically it's strange to me that people focus on "threads with lots of pages" as the main problem when they are not really a big problem. I see new people jump in to supposed "insular megathreads" all the time.

People calling honest descriptions of reality "doomposting" is a much bigger problem than megathreads, imo.

I don't think anyone is calling it a MAIN problem, just something that is prevalent here. I've been through a lot of QCS threads with lots of opinions on Megathreads. I have mine...but I'm also not the mod here. Megathreads are something the community should get together and decide with their mods.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also the alternative to current events threads that go off track now and then is something more like how D&D does it and everyone would be so mad.

All threads go off track every once in a while. Good ones have people who post poo poo on topic and re-rail the train.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Small sample size I understand, but will ask now so future people who contribute can answer too:

XXX Topic threads can feel like chat threads, and sometimes wane away from the topic, but are mostly focused and come back, where as "chat threads" here are just random bullshit.

Seems to be...almost an animosity towards straight "chat threads." That about right?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i read a ton of threads here but dont really post in them because theres people in there that can word things way better than i can and im mostly reading to learn for the most part

Oh, this was something I said in the last one of these things I ran so I should say it here too:

You dont not have to be an active poster or someone with a crazy post count to contribute to this thread. Lurkers are welcome. People who read one thread in this forum are welcome.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Lean into the "CSPAM has 200 mods lol" meme?

Most CSPAM threads have their own IK, they pick them however they want. The CSPAM Mod job becomes being in charge of IKs mostly (or their own thread and pull "double" duty). Making sure poo poo is fine with each IK, asking if they need anything, sending them reports, giving opinions on probes if needed/asked.

That way, each thread (community) has their own mod style. Since this is a place of 30 communities under one CSPAM banner apparently.

edit: disclaimer, again way to early in the thread to be making any actual changes, just randomly spitballing things while I wait for the NBA game to start.

double edit: If something I say sounds dumb or is the wrong read of something (not just this post), be sure to call me out on it. I'm here to learn poo poo, so don't let me leave without knowing.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The "just stop 'doomposting' so much" is not just a CSPAM thing. Sports posters absolutely hate their teams and say things like "welp season over, trash team" when their team is in first place. TVIV has the same thing with hate watching. I could go on and on.

Figuring out if or when to moderate that poo poo is the hard part. I don't have an answer for that. I mean, really the answer is "context matters" and sometimes when people have nothing worth a poo poo to add other than being Eeyore, maybe it's time to move them on from the thread. Like Larry's quote there, it can be an addiction for some people.

But really, it has to do with the vibe of a thread. If a community is fine with that in their space, then that's what the thread is. At some point the majority rules and the community makes itself what it wants to be.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

some plague rats posted:

It seems to be left up to the mood of each individual mod on that day to decide what the tone of the forum is, basically

This is another one of those things that's weird to find the balance in a forum like this. It's also, one of the weird things about QCS that cda brought up once.

Lets use your last example. The witchcraft, tarot, whatever thread was their own community. They had their own rules and whatever for their thread that they expected. When someone broke them, they expected that to be fixed BUT, that thread also lives in CSPAM, where it's not a "try hard post with effort" forum, so someone clicking the thread is coming in with different expectations.

So which is the right call?

Do you let each thread set their own standards, and if someone stops by to disrupt them probe it? Or do you let the fact that you are in CSPAM direct the standards for your thread?

cda once said that all the people that come to QCS are use to, and expect the level of moderation from their own forum. That's what they come from, so QCS threads to one set of people are loving horrible and to others are just the normal way things goes. It's the same thing for different threads in here. Witches wanted their hangout troll free, CSPAM overall works a little different.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Takanago posted:

The conclusion to this might just be that I'm a dumbass that doesn't know to check chat thread for misc. breaking news but I guess it would be nice if there were more room for single-purpose threads to cover specific topics.

Homeless Friend posted:

exactly. when i woke up and theres was a "florida building front fell off" wtf do i post? i was like climate thread I guess. I rest my case mods & gentlemen

Some Guy TT posted:

as someone who posts content and has to arbitrarily guess the best thread for it i would have guessed epstein but yeah it can get arcane sometimes

i do like having semispecialized threads in part because it makes me think harder about where a post should go or if it should even be posted at all

Is there a particular reason when you didn't find a thread, you didn't just make one for the topics? I mean like, OP creating effort aside, there wasn't some CSPAM rule written or unwitten that made you feel like you can't just make a thread when poo poo happens right?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

really queer Christmas posted:

The witchcraft thread was open for like two days before Larry "trolled it" by saying it was a bourgeois hobby and got thrown out for a week. That is not enough time to build a culture, that was 100% just mods deciding arbitrarily that now the thread is serious business.

Yeah, sorry, I reread my post and I intended it to be more of an example of "How should this thing be handled" not a retelling of that event.

My question still stands:

Is a single thread here with a certain vibe more important than the overall forum feel?

If every thread had their own IK with their own way of doing poo poo, and you got a probe for say using the letter 'k' in the "CSPAM Space Thread" because that's what they wanted, would that poo poo be beyond annoying rather than have a set of mods watching all threads and a standard set forum wide?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Jazerus posted:

lol gently caress larry up man. gently caress me up. gently caress em all up it's fine. obviously you might get some pushback if you ban or permaban for shaky reasons but that's a good thing right? mod sass is part of the culture here but nobody is actually going to oppose an obviously justified mod action in any way that matters. you won't have a target on your back unless you show a consistent pattern of grudge-probating, either against a person or a thread.

not sure where the perception came from that cspammers are going to "come after you". it sounds really weird from where i'm sitting. like let me just lay it out flat here: there's a narrative that started around 2017 and has grown over time that cspammers are wild animals, uncontrollable and bestial and unable to reason about what might work in the moderation of their own subforum. it's bizarre and has its origins in obscure slapfights that absolutely should not be taken into account by the actual staff of this website, which is one of the biggest reasons it is nice to have this feedback thread. it shows that you're trying to avoid preconceptions. but you clearly still have them if you sort-of still believe these tales about cspam bogeymen

There is an anger that comes from people. Justified toward stupid decisions or not, it's there. It's in QCS towards people and the inboxes of Mods.

Now, the problem is, things just get labeled "cspam." When there was bad poo poo in the past it was like "cspam is posting porn." "CSPAM is posting death threats." When...it's not CSPAM, it's select morons that happen to be in CSPAM. So then it becomes a cycle, where someone goes "CSPAM is doing XXX" and someone shows up to defend this place and gets mad and it just goes round and round.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

is because people in D&D with way too much time on their hands and the thinnest skins in human history got called lil homie gay rear end by someone with a NoJoe tag and have been screeching about it ever since

yeah...don't do this.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

VideoKid posted:

I can be wrong but I don’t think anyone is seriously mad about a mod giving out sixers.

There is a (mostly a joke) warning in the little mod intro thing you get that warns you people will get the most mad at you over 6ers, and in my years of being here, it's true.

Don't know what it is, but people get pissed. Sometimes even for a joke 6er.

You can drop 3 days on someone and not hear a peep, but a "chill out" 6er you'll hear about.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

docbeard posted:

And, not for nothing, I get not wanting people taking cheap shots at D&D or wherever, but we're gonna have to talk about CSPAM's difficult relationship with other forums on SA sooner or later. If it needs to be later, that's cool but the problems there are real, they're not just limited to a few bad eggs (on whichever side) and they will not go away on their own. And I don't know what the solution is there either, but not talking about it isn't it. And that conversation needs to be at least as candid as the rest of this.

Yeah, this is another one of the bigger issues. There tends to be a LOT of Us vs Them that comes from "cspam." (I mean it was in this thread even, and there are reports for it right now in the queue)

It very rarely stops at quotes and callouts, and I fully understand why people report it when it happens. Some of the horrifying poo poo people have been sent in PMs because they had some dumb opinion in D&D can be a little much.

Edit: Again, "CSPAM" is in quotes here, because it's not the entire forum doing it. But it happens here, so the label gets applied.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think a big part of megathreads is people bookmark them and then never leave their bookmarks. It's part of the reason I asked for cool thread suggestions in here so I could read them, and people reading this thread can find them too. Venture out, read cool stuff. Don't isolate yourself.

Not every thread has to be a winner that goes forever. Make threads, enjoy things.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Iridium posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that you're hoping to have in hand when this thread wraps up? I don't mean the feedback that you're soliciting, what specifically is it that you're hoping that the feedback defines or directs for you? And what's the outcome you're hoping for, the happy path where you have what you need and all is well at the admin level?

Are you looking to create a blueprint for CSPAM moderation? Are you trying to define where to get hands on or hands off in this forum? Are you just searching for deeper understanding of the nature of CSPAM? Are you, in fact, a CIA/FBI/D&D honeypot trying to shore up a list of posters to put on a watchlist?

I have thoughts and feedback but I want to make sure I understand the intent before I get in to any of it.

The bulk of admin poo poo we have to deal with comes from politics forums. Vitriol and hatred and disagreements that spill over into personal vendettas and sometimes actual threat bullshit. It is not everyone, and it is not some den of evil clearly, but I'd like to know more about a place I spend more than 90% of my admin time dealing with or thinking about. The picture painted in this thread is different than the one in my inbox over the years, or QCS threads.

So to answer your 2nd set of questions first: Yes. All that. I want to leave CSPAM with moderation that you can live with. I want to find out what the actual issues are vs what the loud people say they are.

I'd like to leave this thread with a better understanding of what CSPAM is (or thinks it is), and be better equipped to respond to things that pop up, and figure out problems that come across my desk.

I'd like to be able to give a road map to current and future CSPAM mods about what their community wants.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my new feedback is that I like the above users av, and Root is a great game and everyone in cspam should play it

I thought it was Kiri the Kenku.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Well, sorry I worded it that way I guess, but cspam is absolutely treated as a den of violent maniacs lusting for death and/or fully blackpilled nihilist doomers itching to go on forum invasions and doxx wrongthinkers.
If it's outside the scope of the thread I won't bring it up again or talk about why this is, but I sincerely hope that in reading this thread you guys recognize that it's not only harmless, but one of, if not the best internet left community out there and full of people who are engaged with and emotionally invested in it

That topic is fine, the way you approached it is not. Immediately jumping to making GBS threads on other people isn't constructive and doesnt help me.

Going to other places and going "Look at these loving morons" is one of the current issues. You say CSPAM isn't those things, but a very large amount of people outside this forum think it is because the people that show up in QCS or D&D, to defend CSPAM give that vibe off hard. The same people who send 30 messages to someone who posted something in D&D because they saw their post in the CSPAM Climate Change thread.

The thing I hear is "Who cares if we quote someone and make fun of them in this thread." But the problem is, it never ever stops there. So when a mod steps in and says "knock if off please" they get destroyed for asking in here.

vyelkin posted:

Maybe we could have a stickied thread for new threads? Like if you make a thread you can post in there to advertise it or to see if people are interested before you make it, and bookmark browsers could be encouraged to at least bookmark the new threads thread so they see what's going on in the forum? I dunno, maybe that's stupid and we should just all be willing to make the extra click or two to browse the forum itself.

This works well in Games. There is a directory.

And while I'm on the subject of Megathreads, I'm not looking to make any huge sweeping changes or anything. It's just a topic that comes up in QCS sometimes, and I wanted to get a feel how the users over here feel about them. There are people on both sides.

I personally feel, and have seen around the forums, when you refresh a thread, it brings new people, fresh fun ideas, threads are better, and that "This thread is just a insular circle jerk" feeling never happens.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

docbeard posted:

I genuinely wish I knew how to combat this perception given that the response in this thread to this topic from probably the most reasonable fair-minded admin we've got (no offence Shine, I think you're probably super-reasonable and fair-minded too, I just don't know you as well) was

Which reads to me like it's seen as a one-sided conflict that (a few posters in) CSPAM are instigating all on their lonesome against Poor Innocent Insert Other Subform Name Here. And while I certainly won't deny that this sort of thing happens, it's quite far from the whole story. We get "brigaded" about as often as we "brigade" (and I kind of hate that term because of what it implies about how posters should just Stay In Their Lane and certainly not post in two different forums), we get people demanding that our threads get gassed or moved to some other forum or that we be shut down on almost a daily basis in QCS (which sure isn't necessarily something that should be taken seriously, but it's probably a semi-useful barometer), etc.

Yeah, and like I said before, part of the issue is people say "loving CSPAM did XXXX" when...it's not CSPAM. It's most the time some rear end in a top hat who doesn't understand they dont have to read things they dont enjoy and just go hard. Calling something "CSPAM" is just an easy label, so then it spreads and the entirety of CSPAM gets hit with that perception.

docbeard posted:

We've seen in the not too distant past what happens when a single forum becomes the scapegoat for all of Something Awful's ills. I'd very much like that to not happen again to anyone, much less to my favorite Something Awful forum.

Yeah, I'd also like to avoid this.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Gumball Gumption posted:

That sounds like a problem but I don't grasp why it's CSPAM's problem. What happens to someone who sends 30 messages and can't behave themselves in a public place? CSPAM can't kick them out.

It's most of the time someone who was just involved in making fun of that person in a CSPAM thread.

Which, CSPAM is not in charge of every user who posts there, but it seems like when there is a thread or space for making GBS threads on someone or a post here, it never just stops here.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Oh Snapple! posted:

Like we can't stop someone from doing something we don't know and have no way of knowing they are doing.

Yeah, I dont mean to imply I'm holding CSPAM responsible for every rear end in a top hat. It's just when those type of discussions happen in CSPAM, it spawns assholes.

IMO, let morons be morons in other forums. It's like TVIV...if you hate it...stop watching?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ok, so who has the power to kick that person off of the website?

They are dealt with

edit: But then sometimes people bitch because "FUCKIN MOD JUST LET US POST poo poo, WHY PROBE MY FRIEND"

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Oh Snapple! posted:

Like genuinely if someone is spamming out threatening or questionable PMs I would like them to not be here because that's going far beyond the basic venting I view copying posts to lol at as.

Yeah, I send those people packing without a second thought.

Again, I'm not saying CSPAM is some loving hive for it, or that every CSPAM poster is scum, it's just that type of discussion always seems to spawn that thing.

Edit: And it's not always some simple "This poster did it." There are lots of anon assholes using posts they find from discussions here to go after people.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think part of the problem is figuring out what IS too far. You say just ignore the angry mean people who bitch when their friends get hit...but what if those people have a point? It's trying to find the balance between a forum and moderation of it. That's not easy, and just Making a Rule, and following it to the grave is a REAL poo poo way to run a forum.

Context Matters.

That's why this thread is here, so I can figure out if the bitching is actually something that needs a change, or just something that happens.

People are always going to have a different view of what "too far" is.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Gumball Gumption posted:

How often is the friends bitching coming from people who want to protect someone who sent out 30 harassing PMS to one person?
How often is it from people mad that the mods and admins made an arbitrary decision based on "gently caress this guy" and then tried to pretend it was backed up on more than just a personal dislike?

There are some "They were joking" when things like that come up most times. Or "You are just reading it wrong." Without giving specific instances, it does happen. But that is 0% limited to CSPAM, that's a forum-wide thing and not something I fault CSPAM for.

Being privy to mod discussions on people, I can say I've not see a "gently caress this poster, lets get them" type discussion. Not that it doesn't happen in spaces I cant read, I cant say. Everyone is human and has biases. Being biased happens and hopefully that's why all forums have a team of moderators for multiple views. There have been a few times in the past in forums where a mod goes "Me and this person have history, is XXX a fair punishment" and asks so they try NOT to be an asshat about things. Again, not specific to CSPAM, just things I've seen while I've been here.

docbeard posted:

There are a couple of problems that I see here, and they're all problems of perception, which are the hardest to deal with because it doesn't actually matter what the facts are if most people believe they're something else.

1) Does "most of the problem posters I deal with are people who've been posting in CSPAM making fun of other posters" necessarily equate to "most people who make fun of other posters are a problem"? Or is it the problem of the doctor who forgets that there are healthy people in the world because they only ever see sick people?

No, and like I said, it's not all of CSPAM, it's a label problem mostly. But the things I've dealt with or talked to, the shitbags spawn from the threads where "Look at this moron" is happening.

Edit: And really, I'm not a CSPAM admin. I don't really deal with a lot of things on my own, so I'm super super in my depth here. That's not me.

docbeard posted:

2) Is this standard being applied to every forum equally? (The answer here is "obviously no" if you include FYAD, but we can exclude them as an outlier because they operate under different rules...er, for some reason, but I think it's still no).

Excluding FYAD, CSPAM seems to get the most leeway on this. Mods in other forums have less patience for threads that turn into "Look at this morons over THERE." It's why it tends to blow up more in here, because when there is leeway, some people always try and push that to find the boundaries.

It's interesting that CSPAM sees themselves as CSPAM, and the rest of the forums are just kinda "Something Awful"

smarxist posted:

i don't understand why it's anyone else's business what tone people take regarding an issue, especially contained within its own thread about the subject. if you want to argue that in some form or another "doomposting" (which isn't even decently defined whatsoever to anything approaching objectivity) is affecting other people's posting experiences elsewhere on the forums, then i'd say prove it, otherwise either start the thread you want to post in about a subject or go somewhere else, i really don't know why this is such a highly discussed aspect of CSPAM considering the aforementioned nebulousness, containment, and freedom to do/post whatever the hell you want anywhere else

This is one of those "If you don't like it...why are you obsessed with reading/watching it" things. I have no idea why TVIV will tune in every week and hate themselves for watching something, or why people read D&D and just hate everything they see. But, that's just who I am personally. That's not an admin thing...just an Athanatos thing. If something sucks or is unfun, I don't have anything to do with it. gently caress it, I'll go fishing instead. I'll play Dyson Sphere Program instead of punching myself in the face trying to suffer through "THE WORST EPISODE EVER" of The Walking Dead. People like that stuff. More power to them. I don't understand it, but I accept it.

It's really about what people want to get out of a place. This is a large loving forum. Having threads try to match exactly what everyone wants is not going to work. I 100% agree with you about starting the thread you want to post in. BUT, that also goes back to my question earlier in this thread, why people don't make threads for things. They each had answers that fit. Sometimes it's just easier to try and make an established thread be more what you want, and put up with things, then it is to start over.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
And again, I'm not here to make some SWEEPING crazy changes or flip CSPAM. So don't take my posts in here as declarations of anything.

I'm just here answering whatever ya'll want answered honestly, and trying to get a feel where the forum is. I'd like to have good answers for people when they ask "What is CSPAM" or have an argument for idiots who walk into QCS with "CLOSE CSPAM IT'S ALL HORRIBLE." I want to make sure ya'll continue to enjoy the place you like and make sure I know the steps I need to take to keep it that way.

We'll all float on.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Barreft posted:

e: What's an apprx. numbers of complaints from D&D posters about cspam and vice-versa?

Depends on if you are counting reports as complaints, or QCS posts, or PMs, or Emails, or all of the above. poo poo I don't even think I could guess the number. My first instinct would be to say "HIGH" but that's mostly because every other forum that number is basically 0. That might make it feel more extreme...but the number is still pretty high. Now, a lot of them are horseshit babies just reporting or trying to tell on someone to get them in trouble because they hate them.

It's about even with the back and forth complaints, neither side really wins the "most complaints" award.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Barreft posted:

That surprises me honestly, not that I don't believe you. The people in the threads, like others have said, make fun of people but it never seems serious and everyone is pretty chill. But then PMs are anon so of course.

Yeah, and nobody has any way of verifying it other than other mods or admins going "Yeah, it's true" but even then it comes down to trust. A lot of the complaints are not full raging anger. A lot of "take a look at this" or "I don't like what this person is saying, do something." There is some rage and anger and some people will say "This thread is bad, have someone keep an eye on it maybe?" So "complaints" gets lumped in to a lot of things...but there does end up being a lot.

It also ties into those times when a mod says "reports are crazy" and everyone kinda laughs at them for thinking reading a line of complaint and a post is "hard work." Really, you gotta figure out what the issue us, find the context, figure out the back and forth, maybe read a few pages of the thread, decide what needs to be done, ask for help if needed, ask for context from the reporter. It can become a bit of time if you are doing it right, and not just rubber stamping. That's not every report, and most of them you look at and go "This is nothing." But when there are 80 reports for your forum in the queue, it can add up.

Personally I liked when people hit the Report button when I was running QCS. It gave me a better idea of where people's head was at on things. People are more willing to be honest in "private" than in open forums. It's why reaching out to people as a mod is important as hell. Instead of just going straight to a probe, PM and go "what the hell?"

Barreft posted:

I don't know, but D&D is way to up it's rear end to be the only political forum. When I'm at work taking a poo poo and I see a ridiculous tweet in awful app in cspam I respond with a "jfc" with no fear of getting yelled at for a shitpost while making GBS threads because I didn't make and proofread a document.

CSPAM is here, so D&D wont be the only political forum ever.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Link me the covid thread, I'll head over there right now and ask them for IK suggestions

Edit: I didn't see it going 3 or so pages back

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

mcclay posted:

tbh i would personally like the admins in thread to address the pretty constant issues of mods and admins circling around poo poo loving terrible mods when they make poo poo loving terrible decisions that piss everyone off. Part of the reason why people are so loving super hostile to mod action, even to the point of harming the sub-forum, is because the memories of Lowtax and Flavius and the debacle with the under cover nazi mod and the hardcore banning of those who called him out are still p. fresh in everyone's minds.\

Some kind of reconciliation and attempt to bridge that gap about that poo poo, rather than push it under the rug and pretend it didn't happen, would probably help build a lot more trust on the user side of things

Best case scenario on mods is you pick someone who posts in the community and knows what the vibe is. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesnt. SA is not a small place, there are 76 forums, and the vast majority have no issues with their mods and just kind of truck along. In the past, we've picked mods the same way we pick mods in every other forum. That's why I'm here right now, to find something that works for CSPAM. CSPAM is large, finding people who understand the entire place seems to be a folly. If you read my posts earlier, I suggest a lot of IKs, and leaving Mods as people who check in on IKs and see if they need anything. Maybe that is the answer, maybe it sucks. gently caress if I know. I'll admit if I gently caress something up.

I don't know what else you want me to do or say. If you have something specific you want me to answer, I'm here.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Epic High Five posted:

THAT SAID, I don't know how much the COVID thread even has to do with anything beyond larry taking a pot shot at the posters there for no reason, unless it's clarified that it's the source of a lot of reports, so I have no idea how useful this discussion actually is

I mean, gently caress it, I'm here and can maybe fix things. Might as well throw things at me while I am.

I asked the thread, if they want someone, they can have it. If they are fine with their space, that's on them.

I did the same thing for the Glenn Greenwald thread a while back. The overwhelming majority of PMs I got did not want an IK. They liked their thread as is, and rolled with it.

I can't pull stats for individual threads reports, I'd have to ask the CSPAM mods if it's reported more often.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I also understand every poster in this thread is not representative of the entirety of CSPAM. It's a large space and this thread is very small.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Chill and don't do this in this thread.

It's not what it's for.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ardennes posted:

Okay use your words.

Let's not

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

AnimeIsTrash posted:

People just want mods that don't interfere outside of probing people for racism and stuff like that. It should really be that simple.

People in this thread have said maybe mods should step in and say something when a person becomes too annoying in a thread and it's just enough already, so things are never just that simple.

Now, probing for racism is that simple, just click the little "Queue Ban" button.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I am of the opinion you don't kill or try to limit "megathreads," you just reboot them every so often. Depending on what the thread runs out. Just as an example, most sports threads on this forum go by month. Start of the month, great time for new people to show up and get involved. It's the same thread, the bookmarks just change.

Plus, maybe people have to look at the thread index and see other cool poo poo and don't have to be prodded to only browse their bookmarks.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Every report about CSPAM is not from some outsider who doesn't contribute here, or from people trying to tear this place down. Yesterday there were 30 some reports for CSPAM. All of them but 5 are from people who when I look at their post history, are CSPAM posters. And the other ones are from what look like lurkers (probably read and dont post? Just post lurkers! You paid your 10 dollars, throw some words in a post) or others.

Making everything You Vs Them is lovely for a community. I'm personally capable of understanding context and figuring out when someone is reporting something or saying something is poo poo and they just have a vendetta. I would hope others have that same ability.

Enjoy your forum, enjoy your threads. Don't worry about other places.

Epic High Five posted:

This is true but when people whining about forums they don't even post in is proven to be a good way to get things changed in that forum for no real reason, a war footing must be adopted. Like we are a day away from some QCS regular posting "CSPAM is a politics forum, why do they have a cooking thread" and the thread getting closed because the rest of the regulars rush in to paint it as some kind of ultra low carb thread making people mentally ill,

Sometimes people just want to bitch about things. They want to be heard and get poo poo out there. Doesn't mean every time there is a "Look at this" post or report, means something is going to happen. If a report has value or comes from people that are effected by it, then maybe adjustments can be made.

Hell, in this thread there is divide on megathreads. There is no real solid "do this" push, so if I were a mod here, I'd lean toward leaving it how it is. It's about gathering information, figuring out what is best, and doing what the community wants.

Epic High Five posted:

if Athanos is posting here for some CSPAM context to better tell those idiots to pound sand, I think we'd all do well to provide it

Knowing what the actual threads are like is a boon for refuting people who say dumb poo poo like "All of CSPAM are bloodthursty doomsayers, close it."

Joementum posted:

I don't think there are any major issues with CSPAM that need to be resolved. It's the forum for shitposting about politics and current events and that's fine. If people don't like the posting in a particular thread, they can start their own (which mods should leave alone and not gas) and see if other people want to post there. If there are abusive or harmful posts, those should be reported for a mod to deal with or discussed with mods in PMs.

Please just let people shitpost in peace instead of indulging the few who have some weird grudge to settle or enjoy trolling here.

I'll also say it again, just for anyone just checking in:

I'm not running this thread to make big sweeping changes. Hell, I'm not running this thread to make any changes if nothing is needed. I just want to leave you all with better knowledge of what I am about, and learn some poo poo myself. My hope is I come away with a better way of providing you mods that can help make and keep the forum readable and enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Raskolnikov38 posted:

except the other places want to get cspam closed and paint the forum in the worst light possible outside of cspam. like step into the China threads (which you should do anyway because they’re cesspits) and they all act like cspam is an unregistered agent of the PRC

Well they don't have me convinced and I'm the person who would close the forums so I don't really care what tale they want to spin. Some people in CSPAM think all D&D posters are horrible and want to get it closed too. It's why when I want to know about a forum, I go to the forum. This "Tell me about XXX forum" is not the first feedback thread I've run.

There will always be idiots. It's figuring out what idiots have a point that is the hard part. Going somewhere and gathering info is the important part.