Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Another day, another ad

I've disabled Copilot every way I can find and still periodically get this. I googled it and found a series of MS community posts where the support dorks recommended looking for an option to disable in the Settings menu. People are saying they disabled copilot with group policy and still get the ads. The support dorks do not respond further.

MS support forums workers have never, ever helped anyone and exist only to further confuse and torment innocent people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Another day, another ad

I've disabled Copilot every way I can find and still periodically get this. I googled it and found a series of MS community posts where the support dorks recommended looking for an option to disable in the Settings menu. People are saying they disabled copilot with group policy and still get the ads. The support dorks do not respond further.

I don't have W11 because loving lmao at that, but from what I've dealt with on the W10 side of things, this is likely addressable with these 3 settings:

Enable them all and hope for the best. If you don't have a pro license... rip.

E: Oh, unless MS just wrecked GPO as a Pro feature, in which case 'downgrade' to Windows 10 and save yourself from this trash.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can you upgrade an OEM laptop license to Pro?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tiny Timbs posted:

Can you upgrade an OEM laptop license to Pro?

Yes. It normally should be extremely straightforward. Just open settings - activation and punch in the new key.

However:

Klyith posted:

Using a cheap greymarket key to upgrade a laptop that came with Home to Pro may need to follow these instructions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vic posted:

This must be the US vs EU thing. I'm seeing none of that and I did nothing but click no to everything MS asked me about.

I've never seen whatever that is. Nor most of the promotions/ads people complain about in this thread. Sucks for them, but no idea what I'm doing differently.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

MS support forums workers have never, ever helped anyone and exist only to further confuse and torment innocent people

Hello Tiny Timbs,

My name is Segunfunmi, and I'm here to help you with your Microsoft Copilot issues. As an Independent Advisor and fellow Microsoft user, I completely understand your frustration with this issue.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

First, let's check your Copilot Settings. This can be done by opening the Windows Settings menu (use the Windows + I keys), selecting System from the left sidebar, and opening the Copilot menu. Please scroll down to Copilot and open it. Ensure the toggle is enabled, and turn on the permission to show Copilot notifications.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Remember, we're in this together and work to find the best solution for you.

Kind regards,
Segunfunmi.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I don't have W11 because loving lmao at that, but from what I've dealt with on the W10 side of things, this is likely addressable with these 3 settings:

Enable them all and hope for the best. If you don't have a pro license... rip.

E: Oh, unless MS just wrecked GPO as a Pro feature, in which case 'downgrade' to Windows 10 and save yourself from this trash.

I'm giving it a try, but yeah, people are saying GPO doesn't help. Though they also don't say which options they've set...

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I asked Copilot to pretend to be a goon and defend the existence of AI. Here are the results.

What I wrote: "Pretend to be a goon on the forum Something Awful and defend the existence of AI."

Copilot
User: “Hey goons, I’ve had it up to here with this whole ‘artificial intelligence’ nonsense. It’s just a bunch of hype and sci-fi nonsense. Why should we even bother with it?”

Goon1: “Listen up, pal. You might think AI is all about killer robots and dystopian futures, but let me tell you, it’s more than that. Way more. So buckle up, because I’m about to drop some knowledge bombs on you.”

AI Saves Lives:
Ever heard of medical diagnosis? AI algorithms can analyze medical images, detect diseases, and predict patient outcomes. It’s like having a super-smart doctor in your pocket. And don’t get me started on drug discovery – AI is revolutionizing the field faster than you can say “asymptomatic.”
AI Gets Stuff Done:
You know those mundane tasks that make you want to gouge your eyes out? AI loves them! From chatbots handling customer service to automating repetitive office tasks, AI is the ultimate productivity hack. It’s like having a digital intern who doesn’t complain about coffee runs.
AI Gets Creative:
Yeah, you heard me right. AI can compose music, write poetry, and even paint. It’s like having Beethoven, Shakespeare, and Picasso rolled into one – minus the drama and ear-cutting incidents.
AI Knows You Better Than You Know Yourself:
Ever notice how Netflix recommends shows you didn’t even know you wanted to watch? That’s AI analyzing your viewing habits, predicting your preferences, and serving up binge-worthy content. It’s like having a psychic algorithm whispering in your ear, “Watch ‘Tiger King’ next. Trust me.”
AI Is Everywhere:
Your smartphone? AI. Your social media feed? AI. Your dating app? Definitely AI (and maybe a little too judgmental). It’s like oxygen – you don’t see it, but it’s keeping you alive and mildly entertained.
AI Is Our Ticket to the Stars:
Elon Musk might be building rockets, but AI is the real astronaut. It’s crunching data from space telescopes, optimizing rocket trajectories, and making sure we don’t accidentally crash into Mars. Thanks, AI – you’re the real space cowboy.
So, my fellow goons, next time you scoff at AI, remember: it’s not just about killer robots. It’s about making our lives easier, our brains smarter, and our memes danker. And if that’s not worth defending, I don’t know what is. 🤖🔥

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah I'm not reading that. I'd rather listen to you recounting your last dream.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Another day, another ad

This should do it (I use this to remove bing search results in the start menu)

Regedit

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

(You may need to create the "Explorer" subkey under "Windows")

Right click, New > DWORD (32-bit) Value

Name the value "DisableSearchBoxSuggestions". Double-click it and set its value data to "1".

Restart your computer

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I like how I'd previously done multiple things google suggested, and yet everything suggested on this page is different. Unless I had done it and it got reset, there appear to be a lot of people shotgunning a lot of settings to get rid of this poo poo. Wonder if it shows up in MS's telemetry metrics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think my favourite MS Support Forum canned response (and also every loving google search result thanks to SEO and AI) is "oh you can't start windows? have you tried booting into windows and removing any recently installed software or drivers"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i like how i told my new windows install not to import any data into edge and then when some windows function opened it by default for some troubleshooter all my chrome bookmarks were there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Edge out of the box will import from Chrome every time it’s run. It’s the most hostile default I think I’ve ever seen.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I’ve told it not to every time and when a windows update makes me go through the whole setup again

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wash bucket posted:

Hello Tiny Timbs,

My name is Segunfunmi, and I'm here to help you with your Microsoft Copilot issues. As an Independent Advisor and fellow Microsoft user, I completely understand your frustration with this issue.

First, let's check your Copilot Settings. This can be done by opening the Windows Settings menu (use the Windows + I keys), selecting System from the left sidebar, and opening the Copilot menu. Please scroll down to Copilot and open it. Ensure the toggle is enabled, and turn on the permission to show Copilot notifications.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Remember, we're in this together and work to find the best solution for you.

Kind regards,
Segunfunmi.

I can tell this is fake since it's not suggesting sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

wash bucket posted:

Hello Tiny Timbs,

Kind regards,
Segunfunmi.

P.S. To help you remember this information, hitting your "Back" button will just reload this page!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

doctorfrog posted:

P.S. To help you remember this information, hitting your "Back" button will just reload this page!

I'm having PTSD flashbacks lol. Even my loving stepson got hit with this recently trying to look up something and I legit laughed. "Nick help I'm stuck on this page" lmao

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hooah posted:

I've never seen whatever that is. Nor most of the promotions/ads people complain about in this thread. Sucks for them, but no idea what I'm doing differently.

Yeah same.

"Works fine for me. Must be a problem on your end."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not only is software A/B testing gaslighting users, it’s creating a whole new form of superiority complex

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

~Coxy posted:

I can tell this is fake since it's not suggesting sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

It's also not requesting a 5 star/helpful

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Is there a way to ACTUALLY disable automatic driver updates in W11? I have it disabled in 'System > About > Advanced system settings > Hardware' yet it's still automatically installing old AMD GPU drivers which fucks up my system. 11 windows are about how many I've felt the need to throw my computer out since upgrading from w10.

From event viewer this morning:

"Installation Started: Windows has started installing the following update: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 31.0.22044.1"

E: let's see if gpedit method does the trick. jfc

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 3, 2024

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Not only is software A/B testing gaslighting users, it’s creating a whole new form of superiority complex

Goons saying, "I have no such problem, therefore there is no problem," is a foundational superiority complex of these forums.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

~Coxy posted:

:hai:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I hope I didn't come across that way. I would also be irritated if that stuff was happening to me, and I'm well aware it's likely just a luck of the draw.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

Goons saying, "I have no such problem, therefore there is no problem," is a foundational superiority complex of these forums.

I have no such problem with the forums having a foundational superiority complex about not having problems, therefore there is no problem.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I know the stuff exists because I've seen it before but it's been a while. The only reason can think of is that I directly activate as Windows 11 Pro instead of starting as Home and then upgrading.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

buffbus posted:

I know the stuff exists because I've seen it before but it's been a while. The only reason can think of is that I directly activate as Windows 11 Pro instead of starting as Home and then upgrading.

Oh, maybe that's it. I think my main computer is on an Education license.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Perplx posted:

Use the windows media creation tool to make an iso.
mediacreationtool.exe /Eula Accept /Retail /MediaArch x64 /MediaLangCode en-US /MediaEdition Enterprise

Enter the win 11 enterprise kms key NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43 when prompted, its posted on microsoft.com

After install go to activation and change your product key, it should change it to Pro* I haven't actually done this with a retail key, just kms.

This also has the side benefit of bypassing the microsoft account.
Screenshot of an of an test install I just did:

edit fix screnshot

Reposting for goons who might want to see if this gets fewer ads thrown at you. I can confirm the above works to get Windows installed and activated.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I did the same and whilst it does work, I had to use a generic key to change it to Pro afterwards and then activate with my actual key. It wouldn't work using the retail key on the fresh enterprise install

e: this basically

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downgrade-from-enterprise-to-pro/02cfa7d6-7fc4-4f44-8f00-1a7c99b31fb6

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 6, 2024

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yep, that’s how I did my install and I’ve been fairly happy with to not have a lot of the major issues I see people have. Installing with enterprise and no internet is a good strat.

Doesn’t mean you don’t have to go through edge and uncheck everything every once in a while though.
I find ally set up a new Edge profile to try out… neither of them are linked to an ms account, but my lord there’s a lot of stuff to turn off in settings and they really make you check every option. You can really feel the effort they put in to make people give up turning off all of the crap

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lmao, the 2024 update will have, besides lots more AI bullshit, a block to specifically disable startallback and other customization apps

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Fuuuuuck

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

to be fair those apps do rely on hacky patches which might stop working after a major windows update

but microsoft should reflect on why those apps are so popular

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Clawing back control of their space

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Klyith posted:

lmao, the 2024 update will have, besides lots more AI bullshit, a block to specifically disable startallback and other customization apps

according to that link they’ll still work if you rename the executable. so not only is it clearly motivated out of spite rather than security, it’s lazy spite

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jigsaw posted:

according to that link they’ll still work if you rename the executable. so not only is it clearly motivated out of spite rather than security, it’s lazy spite

That suggests that it'll be updated to, like, startallback2.exe. Let the whack-a-mole begin!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the message literally says to look for a newer version of the blocked app, which implies they're not aiming to block it outright, only older versions that might blow up on a new version of windows

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Klyith posted:

Oh good, here we go again. I really might pave over the clean install of Windows 11 I just made on my 7980XE and switch to Ubuntu to get away from fighting this poo poo, it’s just exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

the message literally says to look for a newer version of the blocked app, which implies they're not aiming to block it outright, only older versions that might blow up on a new version of windows

if that were the case, they'd be looking at the version of the app to block:

https://twitter.com/StartIsBack/status/1776555154701205877

which they are not, the check is just "startallback*.exe" = blocked

also it says for security not compatibility
and there was zero communication about it to the authors

nah mate I see zero goodwill for MS on this one. obviously it's a light block since you can just rename it to quack.exe to make the thing work again. but for some reason MS is actively trying to discourage use of these tools.