Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well, drat. My Ryzen 1700 doesn't meet the requirements for the pre-release. Weak.

Edit: Both windows update and the health-check tool report the same thing, though the TPM thing is only yellow, the CPU is red. And I don't have a pressing need to update my hardware until GPUs get back to not-insane pricing, so I guess I'll stick to 10 for now.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

OgNar posted:

Was just checking and my PC seems to pass, except for TPM.
Have looked through the bios but couldnt find any options to enable it.
I assume my prebuilt took a few shortcuts to save a few dollars.

Make sure you update to the latest BIOS, as well. My gigabyte board was on a 2017 release and the TPM menus were different after the 2020 update.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm in the exact same boat, right down to the same processor. Not upgrading anything until I can get a GPU at a "normal" price to replace my RX580.

I upgraded to both Windows 8 and 10 right away because I can take the early snags and like being on the latest version of anything, but won't be doing that with Windows 11 because I have a first gen Ryzen. Oh well

Look at you with your modern gpu and poo poo.

*Looks at his R9 380 that's somehow, thankfully, still holding on*

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Surely this time the new version of Windows is so bad that people will switch to Linux.

It has Linux in it, and soon android.

But also, lol

It's ALWAYS the year of Linux on the desktop.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The hacked MCT generator seems to have worked (no TPM and a 1700) for me.

Installer, after a big scary warning, is chugging along.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Koskun posted:

A Ryzen 1700? I've got a 1600 on a Prime B350 motherboard by Asus. They pushed out a new BIOS version last week I think it was specifically for Win11 that turned on TPM and I think Secure Boot (not 100% on that one though). My install went through without a single hiccup.

I'd check for a BIOS Update for your motherboard, rather than messing around with that hack thing.

Hmm, I'll have to check and see what gigabyte says.

The checkup tool threw a yellow for the tpm, but red for the Ryzen 1700. Using the cmd script bypassed all of that and let me install just fine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

redeyes posted:

Oh ok, so you know better.

I can always roll back to 10 either through my image based backup or the restore old version option if that becomes the case, however unlikely (MS have the ability to bypass TPM to OEMs, so we know how m they actually care about it).

But you go ahead and be a sea lioning dick if that makes you feel better. I won't stand in your way there.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So far, I don't mind the taskbar setup. I rarely hit the start button, anyway and typically hit winkey then start typing.

Call me what you will, but I also like the overall visual feel, bit I'm still on the fence about the rounded corners, at least since they don't round the corners of the actual screen like Macs do (unless I need to look closer next time I'm downstairs).

Everything seems good and snappy. Booting is just as fast, at least, as Win10 on my NVMe.

I look forward to being able to poke around this weekend and see how I like everything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is part of Windows 11 that reminds me more of Vista than Windows 8 - putting out an OS that has stricter hardware requirements than the current release while the current release is still years away from EOL. It does sounds like Windows 11 runs better on "older" hardware than Vista did, but it still puts a damper on realistic adoption. The usability regressions remind me more of Windows 8, though.

That was not the problem with Vista.

Vista had much larger hardware requirements than XP, and manufacturers were afraid they were going to get stuck with a shitton of old hardware. So they convinced Microsoft to create the "Vista Capable" label for hardware that could run it, but with things like Aero Glass turned off.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't see how that contradicts what I said. :confused:

I guess I read it that the published requirements were stricter but it ran fine on older hardware, which is what we're finding with 11 so far (I mean, come on, I know the line has to be drawn somewhere, but if an 8c 16t CPU at 3.6GHz isn't strong enough, that's a little crazy). Vista actually required a lot more horsepower than XP.

So we're probably on the same page, I'm just slow tonight.

Edit: my favorite thing with Vista is how so many people yelled "it broke my RAM!!!" because the aggressive prefetch actually used RAM and exposed a lot of bad sticks that were out there.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

They also said the Series X would be the last XBox. Who wants to take bets on that one?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

So an i5 6500 isn’t good enough for Windows 11? Not gonna upgrade my entire computer for this poo poo.

It probably is. They're just being super crazy about the requirements this time around.

My guess was that there's a security feature in the later CPUs that they plan to leverage later on, but that might not hold water, as some of the CPUs from the same generation are being excluded.

I think they just drew the line arbitrarily high for the launch and that will relax later.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Arivia posted:

One of Ars Technica's recent pieces at launch pegged it to being a DoD requirement, in which case Microsoft needed to force it to get system integrators on board. So the hassle/trouble on your own desktop you built yourself is so Microsoft can sell other licenses on other computers to the US military.

Which also makes sense on why it's so easy to disable.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Got updates overnight. Still seems to be running fine, despite the big scary talk about them loving up something with AMD.

Though I haven't had time to try gaming yet, so I guess we'll see. But the way my schedule is looking, they'll probably have the fixes out before I can even try.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Boo. I can't get into the insider channels since I don't have a qualifying system. Oh well. I'll just wait for it to fully release.

I have an android phone, though, so even if they block it from release, I'm not buying a new computer to run Android apps.

Also: IIRC, you could theoretically sideload the same apps you do on a Fire to get Google services if you can sideload. Most of them are generic without pixel densities, etc specified.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CoolCab posted:

this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

GUI apps in WSL2 and Android.

Other than that ooh shiny.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Windows 11: The New Kindle Fire

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

How is poo poo like this not managed by Group Policy in an even remotely corporate environment?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Debating whether this belongs here or in the windows software thread, but since I'm running 11, here we go.

I bought an old printer (HP C4150) to experiment with some things and holy hell is the driver landscape a mess.

HP says that windows should just automatically install and actually refuses to publish the driver/software installer anymore. And when you use the diagnostic tool, it pops up and says "you need to use the full installer" with a link... to the page that says you need to let windows do it.

Finally tracked down an old version of the software and got it installed, but lol. Just wow.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

redeyes posted:

First step. Throw HP in the loving trash.

I got it effectively for free, so only a small loss 😂

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

redeyes posted:

Its even worse than that. The drat thing wont do anything without a connection to the internet, nevermind the stupid subscriptions.

This was actually a big reason I got a Silhouette vs a Cricut while feeding my hobby ADHD this past fall. Cricut requires an internet connection for any function.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'm an outlier as far as being an IT person who buys into the smart home stuff, my reasoning being its not like they are forwarding our conversations complaining about the neighbors directly to them, the advertising poo poo is annoying but whatever. Its not a hill I'm ready to die on.

What I want are smart blinds/curtains. Automatically open with sunrise and close at night. Having oil heat, its great being able to monitor the temperature while we're away and turn on the heat a while before we get home so its warm when we get there. And telling google to turn off the lamp at night instead of reaching for it sounds like a small thing but its so convenient.

"Hey Google, turn off the lights in the basement" as I walk upstairs is honestly convenient as gently caress compared to the 6 different light switches down there.

I reflexively thank my home mini when she says OK to turning on the lights and I'll probably run away and burn my house down when she starts responding to that with "no problem, happy to help" or some poo poo.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

VS Code integrates with WSL really well. When you first start it up after setting up WSL(2), it will ask if you want to set it up. It works just like running it natively, including the git integrations, etc.

It's a pretty solid setup.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

codo27 posted:

Its driving me nuts because I'm looking for an old clunker to be my plex server, host my unifi and put my work junk on and 6th gen i5 and i7 machines can be had for a song, but cant run W11. It sets a gross precedent, one of the things you could always count on with Windows compared to macos is if you have the hardware to run it, you can run it, no frivolously locking you out of updates to force you to buy new.

What's funny about this is that I just updated my 2013 MacBook Pro to Big Sur.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If they're on 365, you're honestly better off just using the webmail.

Unless the mail app has changed dramatically between 10 and 11, it's trash.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

You can even skip the adblocker tbh. Modern ads on modern sites (the kind you would want to visit anyway) are not that obtrusive.

lol, no. The number of times even legit ad networks have been compromised and served malware is enough for me to always block. I pay for the sites I actually want to use if they give me the option.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

That sounds so much more convenient than hitting the windows key and typing W O R and enter to me 🙄

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I use paint.NET on a first gen Ryzen and I have no stuttering issues on 10 or 11.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Why does Mail still suck so horribly?

Oh well. Back to Outlook I go.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sort of a Windows question, but I'm not quite sure.

Just built a new system, and realized upon getting everything set up that my new MB doesn't have optical out. Not a big deal on its own, but I use that to connect to my old Onkyo receiver that runs my speakers, etc (and functions as my monitor stand).

It does HDMI passthrough, which is fine, but doesn't have enough bandwidth for 4k (I said it's kinda old).

Since I still have an HDMI out on my new GPU (7900XT), and the system sees it as an audio device, would it be feasible to run an HDMI just from that port to the receiver for audio and not run a display there?

Anyone done something similar?

Also: My CPU (7950X) has Radeon graphics, so I wonder if I could run the port from that. Hell, that might even be the one it's reporting in the sound panel.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

repiv posted:

depends on the receiver but it might not work without a display to output to, which can be worked around by adding a dummy HDMI dongle, but then windows will see an extra fake monitor

might be simpler to just get a cheap USB to optical adapter

So if I set it to duplicate displays, it SEEMS to work using the on-chip GPU. I just have to set it back to 2160p since it defaults to 1080. I might give it another shot on the HDMI that's on the main GPU and see if that changes.

Edit: GPU HDMI acts the same way. I think I can work with this.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If you flick the option to not use the display for the Windows desktop, does the audio still work?

Tried that, it removes it from the output list.

This should work fine. The receiver is always on, so it won't keep dropping out and coming back.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, looking at utilization without consideration for caching and the other stuff windows does is useless.

I have AIX systems with 32gb used by filesystem cache all the time.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is the virtualization on pro better enough to merit it so I can run a full Linux distro and use that on top of Windows?

I've done that in the past, but it was a little clunky. Part of me just wants to make it a dual-boot, but it's been a while since I ran one on a laptop. Should be simple enough - it has two discrete SSDs so I wouldn't have to gently caress with both OS installations on the same drive. But :effort:

Dual booting with separate drives is trivial now, especially if Windows is already installed. You can even leave secure boot on if you're going for a major distro.

I dropped my old Gen3 2tb drive in the spare slot of the new MoBo, booted the Fedora KDE installer ISO (ventoy is loving lovely), and it picked up the Windows EFI stuff without issue or intervention on my part.

Windows bootloader is now an option in the grub menu and it Just works™.

I still have a bunch of software that necessitates windows as my primary, but it's a good setup.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I would honestly be happier than anything else if Microsoft would just stop putting all of their KB articles behind a redirect so when I click back to look for more search results it actually goes back to my loving search results instead of the same goddamn page I already decided I didn't need.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm assuming it's because of link changes, so it redirects to the new URL instead of 404-ing. But then it's also a self fulfilling prophecy because keeping the old link valid means it keeps getting indexed, and remains popular because it gets clicked on.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

My new Corsair keyboard doesn't have a right control anymore. But I'll be hosed if I ever buy a keyboard with a loving copilot key. That's just lol.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Once I got it installed, 11 didn't complain about my first gen Ryzen at all. But now the point is moot since I'm on a 7950X system now.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

god please help me posted:

I'm trying to pick themes in Wordpress for a website I'm making, but almost all of the themes look like this now days.

I just set one up with a VT100 theme and that makes me happy. Green on black, monospace font, perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

It's reasonably useful if you go through the hoops to get the Google apps installed. Otherwise, it's pointless. Without GApps, it was DOA because the Amazon app store is loving lol.