Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Any news on when will they launch the android app support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://ahaan.co.uk/article/top_stories/google-play-store-windows-11-install

Try this if you want to install the Google Play Store. App performance is pretty spotty at the moment, but it's cool to see things appear in the start menu as native apps. That said, if you wanted to install things that have an equivalent website like Twitch, Facebook, etc then just use the install as app feature in Edge, there no reason to mess around with Android for those.

Nice thanks! I was actually looking to use Google Assistant/Home from the desktop. Has anyone tried it? Is it safe?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It worked, but google assistant's is not available on google appstore. And google home's not compatible with Android 11.

Welp.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I was able to install Windows 11 fresh on an old ThinkPad t420 and it seems to be working okay.

Winaero tweaker seems to be fixing all of the annoyances I have with 11 except one. Is there any way to re enable desktop peek? I'm talking about when you hover your mouse over the bottom right portion of the Taskbar and it shows you your desktop without actually minimizing anything. It's been there since I think Vista and is still in 10. Any way to get it back in 11? Google is giving me nothing.

No they outright removed plenty of taskbar functionalities for some reason. Even my precious "connect" quick action.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also r-click on taskbar menu, show all tray icons, don't group taskbar icons, resizing of the taskbar, and taskbar alignment

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

sharex is good because it helps with saving uploading and categorizing your screenshots/captures. It's like irfanview vs photos app.

Also rclick in explorer to upload to imgur/youtube/whatever

Vic fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 2, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The settings/control panel stuff is better in W11 but I guess they had to cut the taskbar budget.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Not really, having to individually open every subsetting instead of being able to scroll down is very annoying when setting up a new system.

It's the other way around. Old windows settings was just a bunch of different windows, w7 - w10 was this hybrid XP style control panel mixed with the new control panel stretched over even more screens.

Now they consolidated everything and even added features. I mean check the network settings for example.

Had to do this via cmd line in win10:

This was a separate window called network adapters which dated back to win95 and you had to rclick-enable / rclick-disable:

The control panel in Win11 is completely new and I found everything instantly. It's really good but in that "about loving time" kinda way.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

They absolutely didn't consolidate everything, it's still a mess of old and new control panel.

And having everything in Bluetooth & devices, for example, broken out into separate items instead of a list I can quickly scroll through makes finding some settings way more annoying than it used to be in Windows 10.

Got it, but that screen is still there if you click devices. Depends on the setup/workflow I guess, but in W10 you get this screen:

Which you lose as you get deeper into the menu and have to back-back-back out to like in a web browser, while in W11:

That's now a persistent left hand main menu. In Win 10 you get another bar on the RIGHT side of the screen with links to related settings that take you to different windows. Now it's just all in the list for you to scroll through.

Vic fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 3, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Deviant posted:

Well, I've loosely followed this thread, but I'm due to install a new SSD for primary boot drive anyway, so maybe it's win 11 time.

Any must-knows that I might not have seen? Looks like StartAllBack is good, but 5 bucks?

I mean the taskbar thing is at worst mildly inconvenient. People are having meltdowns over it on the feedback hub tho so I expect buttons not grouping will be added later as an option.

It's overall better than w10 performance and feature wise.

E: Just checked the Ungroup Taskbar Buttons feedback post and the official reply from MS is perfect:

"We really appreciate the time you took to share this feedback with us. We've detected you're sharing multiple problems and/or suggestions within a single feedback entry. Please resubmit your feedback such that each problem and/or suggestion has its own feedback entry."

yeah annoying isn't it?!

Vic fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 10, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm mad about the taskbar too, and have been using r-hand taskbar since 16:9 monitors became a standard.

But it's a minor thing not a dealbreaker for me and I expect that to be added later :shrug:.

Between that and win11 getting rid of 20gb bloat, storage sense, better search, getting rid of the w8 like start menu and better settings panel I'd say it's an upgrade.

I never really had a big problem with windows since XP (obv skipped vista and 8) and slight changes to my workflow never took me more than a few days to get used to. I'm using a lot of keyboard shortcuts tho.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

I don't understand this new UI right-click menu in Windows Explorer - like none of the options I want are in there, I have to click "Show More Options" almost every time. Also I used to be able to activate the menu options with the keyboard shortcuts (w for new, then f for folder) but the new pre-menu doesn't have those lol.

Yeah they changed the way apps hook up to it. So the "More Options" menu is legacy support.

I'm mad about "edit" missing for bat, ini files and such.

You can regedit it back in: https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-context-menu-fix-right-click/

e: probably faster: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/pu5aa3/howto_disable_new_context_menu_explorer_command/

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

hooah posted:

I installed 11 shortly after the general release and it's been fine for me. I don't have StartAllBack or anything like that installed. Just moved the start button to the left side of the taskbar and went about my business.
:yossame:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Critical component download gamification

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe not the thread for this problem but I'll ask anyway. I have a 900Mbps/110Mbps down/up internet connection. Yesterday I randomly did a speed check from my desktop PC that's got a wired connection and I'm only getting 90Mbps down and up.

I've reinstalled the LAN drivers and updated all my chipset drivers and it's made no difference. I did a speed test from my Xbox (also wired) and it's getting full speed so it's not my router or connection to the exchange..

It's awkward to test the wired connection in this room on another device, but it's doable. Any other software diagnostics I could try? Running latest version of Windows 11.

Swap the ethernet cables to check

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm a heavy windows search user and it works great since windows 10. It's pretty powerful.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Isn't it 1000x times slower for you than Everything? I don't mean recently installed apps or frequently used folders. If I need to find a random file I've never touched, Everything will have it in milliseconds. Windows search will take ages if at all to locate it, and this is after full "enhanced" indexing.

Never used Everything, but like properly indexed drives/folder turn up even regex search terms instantly as I type them no matter if it's HDD or SSD, including text/pdf/xml file contents.

You might have a problem when a parent folder has indexing on, but some of it's subfolders are nonindexed from when you hosed around with it sometime in 2009 and forgot.

Also on laptops you might want to check for "don't index on battery power" option because in some scenarios the indexing will never get a chance to happen.

press start and type indexing options

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I simply can't believe this. Windows search won't even find various programs that I have installed.

Everything is mandatory if you're a professional computer toucher.

I've been one since WinXP days and various locked down environments wouldn't allow me to use my custom programs. I know programmers who still use total commander for reasons like "it shows hidden files" and "it's easy to copy stuff because you have two folder views" which doesn't make sense after w7.

There are edge cases for which I had to create my own batch files to replicate a one click functionality of another program, but that's not a bad thing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

can you change the location of windows notifications in windows 11? it's permanently in the bottom right corner in win 10.

Not without some programs

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah we're all mad about you having to click a bit to the left now. Windows is garbage.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

Nobody is saying they are trashing their Win11 machines because it’s a different click-space, it sounded like a fellow user confused about a design change from (at least) twenty years of preceding versions for no apparent reason and to no “gain.” Even when the Live Tiles were instituted, there was an option to flick a button to make it more like it was from ‘95 till then. Like I said months ago, you shouldn’t have to dig into the fuckin’ registry or pay for third-party software to “restore” use of an OS upgrade…I have zero trouble with them trying new things, but moving task-manager from taskbar to Start button is not an “innovation.” It smacks of change-for-change’s-sake that has nothing to do with UI settings and more of padding a checklist counter. It doesn’t improve anything, and there is no way offered in the OS itself to “repair” it for any (and multiple) users. Hell, make Win10 settings “DLC” and charge me $10 for a radio button. Hell, I paid Stardock to make wallpaper slideshows a thing 18 years ago and if I want to only forever tile a flying toaster.bmp for background the option is still there in settings! Why not mix-n-match options to tweak the new GUI for the users who actually do care, just like every new version since ‘98 allowed you to do available in the Settings?

You can make this argument about literally every single UI element of any software where "I don't know why they changed it" becomes a damning evidence of incompetence and/or malice.

Here's a possible reason: Having two different context menus in the same UI element is weird. They consolidate it into one. Why was there even a difference in the first place?

Somebody post the copypasta about the bugfix for cpu overheating causing someone's broken workflow.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

A lot comes down to PC = Windows that makes it weird

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It's very interesting to see conversations about Operating System UX. I love to nerd out about software UX and something I love to see when trying to figure out what works with feature-rich software is not just if something works, but how it works. If you talk to an audience working with creative software, they are very likely to consider that there way may not be the only way, and will frequently make attempts to understand how other people use this software to accomplish and similar or identical task. The end result is that there is this feedback loop that strongly supports multiple entry points and paths, and that removing them is generally considered a bad thing, for better or worse. Even software that has a VERY strong vision for workflow (Reason comes to mind) will be slow to remove or change the crit path of workflows because the feedback will trend to negative.

When it comes specifically to Operating Systems, that all evaporates. Part of this is because the audience is now, 'everyone' and not just professionals. Not only is there no consideration for a different workflow, but an almost aggressive stance taken of, 'Well, you can do it this one way, so I don't see what the problem is here'. Trying to convince people that disparate ways of interfacing with the same functionality is probably a good idea as your software grows in features and complexity is kind of a hot take in these circles. The end result is the feedback loop gets inverted and this complex software ends up adding more features with fewer options and entry points. It makes little sense to me and I place a lot of blame on that as to why Windows requires an ever-growing block of third party software to make it do what it could 20 years ago.

Good post.

The last two senteces I don't agree with. Can't compare specialized software with an OS and I'd elaborate but I feel you'd figure out why.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

owls or something posted:

You'll get used to any changes and after 20 years you'll forget you ever hated it.

Windows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsfnuyyjaB0

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Agoat posted:

The visuals are really nice. It feels modern, where I was getting a little too used to Win10. Setting up Spotify and Steam to match the Win11 visual style has been fun, too.

Powershell and CMD are really easy to get to, as well. I don't often need these programs, though.

Overall, it's been really nice.

Question for everyone: Does Windows 11 fix the issues with dual monitors w/ different refresh rates? I used to have this problem where if anything was working on my 60 hz monitor my 144 hz monitor would lower it's refresh rate to match. Wasn't really ideal for streaming, etc.

It does work in 11 now but sometimes I have to switch off the 60Hz monitor via Win+P to single screen and back to extended desktop with some games (actually only R6 siege) using borderless fullscreen.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

frajaq posted:

im literally ready to build a fresh new PC soonish, is there a way to get this for free legit

asking for a friend :filez:

or maybe dont bother and just stick to Windows 10????

its free update for win10 owners

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

IOT implementation is fucky, spotty and error prone. I bought two color led bulbs to see how consistent these things are. Random unpairing when the router is restarted. Random timeouts when opening the app. The google assistant integration just stopped working with a google update.

Maybe once they introduce some standards and libraries but even then it's a fix to a nonexisting problem if I ever saw one.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

:shittypop:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This looks like a supervillan's control panel from a 60s spy movie.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You mean like you can't disable them or you want widgets (lol they are terrible) but can't get rid of the news?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

When I try this, the Us do nothing

Stop holding the win key after win+x

or if you're using windows in a language other than english just look at the underscored letters:

Vic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 30, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Stop making my device consume less energy when I'm making GBS threads, microsoft! :argh:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's been a little while, and I intend this as an honest question, but what are the reasons I should consider updating my Windows 10 install to Windows 11?

Windows is pretty much only used for gaming on this machine, which is currently running a Ryzen 3600X and Nvidia 3080 12GB. I've poo poo-talked Windows 11 in this thread in the past, but I figure it's been out long enough to check in again. Are there more compelling reasons to "upgrade" from 10 than there used to be, or is it still relatively pointless?

Short answer: Definitely upgrade

Long answer: Get used to the new version of the OS because that's your only option. If you're the type of person who spends more than a minute navigating a new menu layout and gets mad about it, hold off until Win 10 tells you it no longer gets support.

Linux answer: Linux is actually pretty good for gaming what with the steam deck coming out and everything. Are you busy? We need to talk about a lot of things.

Grandma IT support answer: She'll get used to 11 faster than you.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I spend most of my time in Linux, and have run dual-boots for at least 20 years. :corsair: Having both Linux and Windows installed is normal for me, and it would feel weird not to do that. I've messed around with gaming in Linux and it is impressive now, but one sticking point is that my Steam library is huge and on an NTFS drive, which Steam on Linux doesn't like. If push came to shove I could go all Linux all the time, but having Windows as a game platform is how I've done things for years.

I'll suffer through Windows 11 when and if I have to, much like I did for Windows 8. Since I have until 2025 to worry about replacing my Windows 10 install I don't feel a lot of time pressure.

I am thinking of getting a laptop in the near future to replace my out-of-support Chromebook, and want another 2-in-1, so it is possible I'll end up spending time in Windows 11 depending on what I end up getting, but that would indeed be a touchscreen-oriented machine.

I use Windows 11 on my main machine I use for work (virtual desktop works the same) and for games. It has new features for gaming like OS level HDR, it's faster, setting menus are organized better and it remembers screen settings as I plug different displays in. It took like a day until I got used to it. It's no W8 or Vista. To me it feels like a 10.1.

Sickening posted:

:aloom: the passive aggressiveness is :bravo:

I mean every single word.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I really want Proton to take off because windows needs to die as a gaming OS

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There's no real reason to upgrade to 11.

e: I like the mem and storage footprint reductions, the minor settings menu overhauls, but it works the same.

Vic fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2022

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

K-lite codec pack is the automatic choice along with irfanview

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

Ok I need a sanity check on on this because holy poo poo is it just me or does Windows 11 sometimes hang briefly doing the most basic things? Opening the Start menu and starting to type is a common one. Another is if I'm opening a program, just about any heavy duty-ish one, the disk usage will spike to 100% and the (therefore?) the rest of the system will become much less responsive. I have a 12700KF, NVME SSD and a 3080, how is any of this excusable?

Do you also have have a HDD installed? If not, SSD's fucky.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Klyith posted:

So personally I would write off small problems like this to "windows 11 is still less than 1 year old". If your start menu isn't responsive the first thing to do is disable bing so your start menu isn't loading ads web results.

Kick rear end, thanks for the tip/link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I just updated and no Spotify or anything else was installed, because on the "Let's customize your windows experience" startup screen I selected "No, thanks" to the options. It was three clicks.