Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I’ll upgrade the day they let me turn off combine task bar buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Reinstall with CSM disabled should fix your problem.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

How could I measure the performance? It doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

I am too lazy to reinstall.

Too lazy to reinstall, but not too lazy to gently caress around with drivers that are old enough to drink?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

If you have bad drivers that seem to keep coming back, turn off automatic driver installation.

So like do you just use all your programs with default settings all the time, or do you have something that makes backup & restore of all that stuff a fast & simple process?

The last time I did a full clean install was for 10, and it took me most of a weekend to get everything set up just so. And then for about a week after that I'd occasionally still hit something that I needed to poke at.

After Windows/drivers, it's basically "reinstall 1Password, Chrome and Office, make sure they're set up properly, reinstall Steam and point it to the relevant Steam library folders" for me. Every few weeks/month I might (*might*) need to reinstall some other program, but that's 10 minutes here or there spread over months, not a big deal.

Like, yes, there are scenarios where it's a bigger deal - LTE-only internet, music production and the trash-rear end software involved, but for the most part, a reinstall really isn't that hard.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are some of those capable of working over a cable of some sort? I've made light use of the Windows Project to PC function, and found that on low-powered hardware it struggles, and even on higher-powered hardware the wifi lag can be annoying. I've also tried using a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and run into some of the same issues. With the lag it would be okay for presenting or something, but as a second monitor it frequently left something to be desired.

Synergy, at least when it was free, doesn’t actually make the laptop a screen for the main computer. Instead it lets you use the main computer’s keyboard and mouse to control the laptop, so you can run whatever on the laptop and still only have one set of input devices. It works fantastically as long as you don’t need to move stuff between computers.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

redeyes posted:

I access documents and pics folders on almost …

Some of you missing a key word here.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is there seriously no way to ungroup items on the taskbar anymore without 3rd-party software?

There isn’t. They’ve said that it’ll probably come so I’d expect it in 2026 or so.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

I have discovered my new least favorite Windows "feature". The "Office Key" they're so proudly touting is just the hyperkey (control+shift+alt+win) which means you can't use it for your own purposes

https://gist.github.com/darylwright/f3272846650b28906550a0454d7f4305

Or

REG ADD HKCU\Software\Classes\ms-officeapp\Shell\Open\Command /t REG_SZ /d rundll32

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol. But also why would anyone ever press that combination in the first place.

I use that key combo as an additional modifier key (rebound capslock to it) which does a few things - modifier+A sets a window to always on top, modifier+V does a text-only no formatting paste, etc.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Zotix posted:

Is the Win 11 search just straight dog sh*t for anyone else? I hit the windows key to search and it'll pause for 2-3 seconds. It's like it's trying to search the internet before even populating local results first. This is originally on a machine with a 3900x processor, and now on a machine with a 5800x3d processor. I tried disabling Win 11 internet search results, which worked until the computer rebooted.

Set up PowerToys and use PowerRun instead.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

redeyes posted:

I work with a lot of old PCs and store up old parts and software used from DOS to now. It's not so much medicine as anything that is old as poo poo. Pro-Audio, Medicine, Printing, Bio things including scam bullshit machines. Most of it requires hardware drivers so I cant virtualize stuff. Its a complete poo poo-show man, but pays well

AMA trying to find an AGP graphics card in TYOOL 2021 to fix my dad’s old rear end CAD machine because he won’t pay to upgrade his CAD software and the software and plotter he has won’t work on Windows newer than 98.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Volguus posted:

Windows 98 should run in VMware if I remember correctly. Not qemu, and probably not virtual box, but VMware was fine last time I tried (over a decade ago).

Yes, but the plotter will not.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

Is a grouped taskbar really... that bad? For quick switching between a couple of windows, alt+tab and the like are preferred. If you can, tile windows you work with simultaneously so they show all at once. And otherwise having stuff grouped is more organized and less cluttered. I feel like people don't give grouped a serious chance.

Yes, it’s that bad - I don’t want to tab through the multiple programs I have open, I don’t want them all tiled because it makes them unusable, and I don’t give a poo poo about clutter on my taskbar.

E: and yes, I gave it a chance.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vic posted:

The point is all your browser tabs are webpages. You're looking at your browser so it makes sense to display further info. If I'm using more programs at once, I don't want the one with the most windows open cluttering my taskbar pushing the one window ones off.

Having to click a little arrow to display the rest of my windows is something that should never happen.

That’s why they had a “combine if full” option.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That’s great but I don’t want to tab through a bunch of windows to get to the one I want when there’s a perfectly good interface method for going directly to the one I want.

I don’t use a shortcut to switch between browser tabs either.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

Good news: MS has heard you and is reintroducing "never combine" for programs in the taskbar!

Bad news: MS is getting rid of the oldschool folder options panel for explorer, and replacing it with far fewer options. Including the ability to show drive letters or un-hide "protected OS files".

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/windows-11-ditches-several-power-user-file-explorer-options-in-newest-preview/

Though (unlike never combine, up til now) all of those will remain accessible via registry keys.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Un-hide protected OS files is the annoying one. If you need it, you need it.

If you need it, you can use regedit to enable the relevant key.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Seriously. The people who actually should be unhiding system files aren’t going to have a problem using regedit; the people who are going to gently caress up their system by deleting important files because incompetent advice told them to? They’re a lot less likely to go through all that.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Outpost22 posted:

Install linux.

Reported, advocating for self-harm.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WerthersWay posted:

When I hit the PRTSC key, Windows 11 now forces me to choose several options (rectangle, freeform, etc.) instead of automatically taking a screenshot of my full screen like it's done for years. How do I get it to stop presenting these options?

Either hit Win+prtscr, which screenshots and saves automatically, or in settings -> ease of access -> keyboard turn off the “use prtscrn to open screen snipping” option and then prtscrn will put a screenshot on the clipboard only.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

god please help me posted:

I'm just curious about this, but does anyone know why my computer refuses to go to sleep sometimes? I set it to sleep, but it immediately snaps out of it. My PC is an insomniac just like me...

The previous post is more likely, but if it isn’t working, a lot of joysticks won’t let your computer sleep if they’re plugged in for some loving reason.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Ungrouping windows and showing their titles currently requires third-party software. There are a couple of options; ExplorerPatcher is free but regularly crashed my system, so I'm trying Start11 now. Rumor is that Microsoft will restore the functionality in a coming build, but who knows when.

It’s in one of the recent insider beta builds.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

Hoping the thread can help me:

I'll be getting a new laptop soon with Win 11 Pro. I have a home PC that I use my MS account for (I think I was tricked into setting it up this way, but it doesn't seem to cause issues for me), but I'm seeing a LOT of videos on YT about activating Win 11 with a local account instead. I don't use OneDrive, but I do have an Office 2019 key tied to my home PC that I'd like to use on my new laptop as well, so I might need to use my MS account for this.

Basically should I activate Win 11 Pro on my laptop with my MS account or go through the steps for a local one?

There isn't really much in the way of cons to setting it up with an MS account if you already have one, so I'd say just go ahead and use the MS account.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joysticks are also loving terrible for this - my VKB stuff absolutely will not let my computer sleep if it’s plugged into the USB.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Good news is that “never combine” for the taskbar is back in Insider builds.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

~Coxy posted:

If you turn on "never combine", and hover over an entry on the taskbar, do you get the stupid thumbnail?

Thumbnail of the window? Yeah.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I suspect that a lot of credit unions are using the same third party vendor for their apps. Over the last 10 years I’ve been a member of three different credit unions due to various moves, and they all look and behave exactly the same right down to the lack of proper totp support.

They are. Jack Henry and Associates, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Just use PowerToys Run and ignore the start menu.