Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A whole lot of devices are not gonna be able to pass that "soft floor," considering the oldest compatible consumer intel CPUs are the 8000 series from 2017. I wonder why that's where the "soft floor" is, and what adverse affects there will be of having an older CPU.

The list that says 8000 or higher is for OEMs making new systems, not for the OS itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

The 64-bit processor part is basically a nonproblem, as I don't think anyone's shipped a 32-bit proc since 2002, and the other part is about a specific hardware security feature. Neither of these are Apple-style 'we changed your charger because we need more Q2 profits' stuff.

Although on the other hand it's not like they've confirmed the details fully yet, so who knows. Maybe all Windows 11 machines need a $50 Microsoft TM Certified Dongle to run or something.

I'm glad I'm not the PR team, but it's not like there's any problem for the rest of us waiting a few weeks for MSFT to get their messaging straight.

People generally aren't complaining about feature-based requirements. People are complaining about confused/contradictory messaging and this "8th gen or later" cutoff that seems to be based on nothing that would make sense.

https://twitter.com/dwizzzleMSFT/status/1408539533465985024

https://twitter.com/scottgal/status/1408541073211805696

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Oh also I want to note just how very low of a bar that celeron is. The cheapest second generation i5, the 2300, beats it by a significant amount.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

Yeah, this. There's even the question of what "supported" means -- does it mean that the OS will refuse to install on the machine, or just that Microsoft won't "support" you?

Or unsupported could mean that Microsoft adds more passive-aggressive code that makes updates refuse to install.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

redeyes posted:

People stop wigging out about this. It's going to be NEXT YEAR before the poo poo is ready. Jesus christ man. By then all this will likely have gone away.

They're promising it on new devices this year, and hinting strongly at october. That gives them about three months to nail down as much as they can.

I wouldn't be surprised if the initial release of 11 is a mess like the initial release of 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Graniteman posted:

In addition to gui apps, I’ve read that it now supports CUDA. So if you want to fool with machine learning like tensorflow and pytorch you can get GPU acceleration in WSL2 now. It’s pretty great for that use case and is the main thing making me want to jump in to W11 now.

WSL2 has GPU acceleration on windows 10 too, as of 21H2. It's only the GUI stuff that's 11 exclusive.