Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I've not had any problems with windows 11, and that includes weird hacky old dos games through dosbox and other assorted ancient games. Very odd not having any problems honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I've made up my mind, besides the right click menu being changed to have to maneuver to a second menu to use 7zip, I actually like windows 11 so far :blush:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Shaocaholica posted:

Make her watch kitboga and also other people getting owned on the internet.

This is a good suggestion. My dad actually recognized a McAfee scam from watching a kitboga YouTube video I had sent him previously and was able to figure it out himself. Funny AND informative!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Criss-cross posted:

Linux is pretty good.

I actually really like Linux on my Steam Deck. 🤔

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Windows 11 setting all library paths including desktop to OneDrive folders, despite not having OneDrive and NEVER having onedrive is one of the strangest problems I've had on 11. I could fix it in the registry but ..why would it do this in the first place lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vic posted:

It's opt in during installation since Win 10. Don't select that option next time.

E: Also you don't need to mess with the registry. R-clicking library folders > properties > location lets you move your stuff. Make sure to turn off onedrive sync too.

No, I've never used OneDrive or opted into it ever, and when this change occurs it can't be changed with location. As I said I don't have onedrive on this computer lol. It's a known thing apparently

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

site posted:

is that a new-ish default win 11 thing? both times I've installed it that definitely didn't happen
It's definitely an error of some kind, not intended. not sure how widespread it actually was. It happened on both of my windows 11 laptops but none of my windows 11 desktops 🤷🏼‍♂️

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vic posted:

Well OneDrive is installed with Windows, you can't not have it on a fresh install.

And what you're describing is the exact scenario when you get got by the dark UX design into enabling onedrive on install/feature update. I mean I guess it's possible it's some bug that enables it anyway, but getting people to use it by accident is their exact goal and it's working, because people have been complaining about this mysterious "bug" since 2015 when they really started pushing microsoft account/products like this.

Yeah honestly it appears to be a bug from what I can tell because it happened the same way with both laptops. Both created a OneDrive folder with unmovable Pictures, Documents AND "Saved Games" folders, despite not having OneDrive installed lol. I also already have Pictures, Documents and Saved Games folders in the normal locations with files in them. Both laptops have been running Windows 11 since release and neither have Onedrive.

Whatever caused this issue would continually create empty library folders AND a OneDrive folder, despite OneDrive not being installed. These locations couldn't be changed because I already HAD libraries in use, in the correct locations so it errored out if I tried to fix.

It's weird! Like I said, I'm 1000% positive I do not have Onedrive on these computers. From what I can find on Google, it appears to be an odd bug from one of the recent feature updates where OneDrive paths were created and default locations were arbitrarily changed- it only took me a few minutes to fix, but I was extremely confused why stuff saved to my desktop wasn't actually appearing on my desktop until I found out that I had two desktop folders, one of which was set to OneDrive :prepop:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I had the OneDrive default save locations for libraries error again on two more new laptops today. Very cool lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vic posted:

Perplexing. This error keeps happening on computers you personally install windows to?

Both personally and pre-installed. I've more or less figured out the cause however. If you use a Microsoft account on activation , one drive is always installed with windows and backs up and syncs desktop, documents and pictures folders and sets their location as the OneDrive folder. If you don't turn off backup BEFORE uninstalling OneDrive it makes it basically impossible to change location. It requires regedit, although it might be possible to re-install one drive, THEN turn off backup and change folders and then uninstall again? I wish it just asked if you wanted this poo poo in the first place

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

barnold posted:

as of the latest update, explorer is resetting my folder view to grouping by date created. if I change it to remove the grouping and then click the "apply to all folders" button in folder options, as soon as I click OK it immediately resets to grouped by date created.

is there any way to get this poo poo to stop happening lol grouping sucks

Yeah same lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

barnold posted:

lately i've been having an issue where right clicking any type of removable drive causes Explorer to freeze. it happens most frequently with CD/DVD drives, even virtually mounted ones. i am using StartAllBack to replace the explorer panes which i'm not sure could have something to do with it, but it is very annoying

I've been having a weird right click lag for probably two months? Intermittently, a right click will hang for half a second. Never enough to cause any trouble but enough to be weird and stand out lol. I did not have start all installed when my problem started.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Currently the trial never actually runs out because the dev is Russian and doesn't have a way to accept payment.

Anyway I've found that there's a perceptible pause before the context menu opens but I've found no way to fix it. It's consistent, so you'll eventually get used to it. Every win 11 machine I've used had that pause but that doesn't really mean anything because that's like three distinct computers.

I'd be fine with a consistent pause but mine is inconsistent. It's such a minor thing but it drives me crazy lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My wireless mouse and keyboard are so sensitive that I've had people walking in my bedroom wake my PC up from sleep because they "moved" it enough lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sfwarlock posted:

As a friend of mine posted on Discord the other year:

() — 09/24/2020 11:01 AM
TIL that if you fart loud enough it'll wake my computer up from sleep mode

Lmao

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I believe you have to 1) stop backup of the folders, which is enabled by default 2) uninstall OneDrive 3) locations should default to local now. If you don't stop backup before uninstalling it's a nightmare lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vic posted:

What's up with everyone opting in to OneDrive? Is it a EU vs US thing where installing W11 in the US makes it mandatory?

I've never had the choice on any install of Windows 11. One drive is installed by default and is the default location for those folders. Across maybe 15-20 computers at this point :bighow:

Even "opting out" of anything on the initial install does nothing lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My step son was so proud to show me that he figured out how to change the windows 11 cursor to Kirby and his mouth moves when you click on stuff and I was honestly pretty impressed- he's 15. If he can figure it out and my almost 80 year old dad can figure out his new computer I have faith 🥲🥲

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

doctorfrog posted:

P.S. To help you remember this information, hitting your "Back" button will just reload this page!

I'm having PTSD flashbacks lol. Even my loving stepson got hit with this recently trying to look up something and I legit laughed. "Nick help I'm stuck on this page" lmao

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
For a "normal" user such as myself, what do I need to do with my current start all back install to keep using it and receiving updates? I guess I could use an alternative like Start 11 but I'd rather not lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Klyith posted:

Nothing for now. The block thing is only on the RTM / preview of the 24H2 major update, which won't be out until later this year.

If 24H2 comes out and still includes the block the author will probably update to get around it, but for now you can ignore it.

Search on the start menu has always been in a superposition of working and broken, because it relies on whether the search indexer is functioning correctly.

The way that indexer will just poo poo the bed occasionally is an amazing running gag.

Cool thanks buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I drag and drop files onto emulators all the time but maybe it's program specific and not Windows? I might be missing something though