Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've been on insider (dev I think) for a while now and I can't say I've noticed that. About once a day I get a two second chug that causes audio and video to stutter but I couldn't tell what causes it and the only super annoying thing about it is that it kills the audio on Elgato's crappy capture program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Criss-cross posted:

If you're on an AMD system, update your Bios. It's related to the fwTPM.

Oh, I am actually, I'll look at that in the morning then, thank you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

shrike82 posted:

is there any difference between running Ubuntu on WSL2 and a separate partition/boot entirely?

One is way the hell cooler

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

barnold posted:

i respect this more than an actual answer to the question OP :cheersdoge:

Honestly? Yeah

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

the registry has hives. HIVES. You can't trust it.

But they're a good band!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Goddamn not having the ability to just drag and drop explorer tabs to an existing window or drag tabs out to make their own window is a bizarre limitation, how could it not launch with this? This is really basic stuff.

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › Windows 11: How could it not launch with this? This is really basic stuff

Remember for the first..year that 11 was out you couldn't hold a dragged item on a taskbar icon to bring that window up even though you could in 10/etc? lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hed posted:

You're thinking of Reiser's wife

:vince:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

We had to get our boss to intervene with the lady who wouldn't change her :nms: miscarried harlequin fetus wallpaper.

Oof. Worst I had was a brothel owner whose wallpaper was him and his Malaysian wife sig heiling.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-kb5020044-makes-task-manager-partially-unreadable/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Truly, a land of contrasts

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How robust is Windows Subsystem for Android? Can you use it as a Bluestacks replacement for playing Android games, or is it mainly just a developer tool?

Games run like buttass in it, Neural Cloud was unplayable. Google's own solution works better but has a very limited selection (and I don't know if you can sideload). Better to stick with BS/LDplayer for now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

~Coxy posted:

What's the heart behind a set of venetian blinds?

When you're trying to hide your intense game of MS Hearts from your boss

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sometimes removing the driver, enabling core integrity and then reinstalling said driver will be just fine. Mihiyo's anti cheat driver was that way

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

The part where it remembers where DisplayLink monitor contents are and puts them back is loving invaluable if you (like me) have a laptop you regularly connect and disconnect from docks or have a monitor you need to power cycle occasionally.

I wish that worked at all for me, two monitors and one can take d-port, doesn't matter how I configure the fuckin things or connect them, after they turn off for power saving it shoves all my windows onto monitor 1 even with "remember where they were" set. Also sometimes the minimize animation goes to the wrong monitor and while not actually a problem it does annoy the hell out of me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish that worked at all for me, two monitors and one can take d-port, doesn't matter how I configure the fuckin things or connect them, after they turn off for power saving it shoves all my windows onto monitor 1 even with "remember where they were" set. Also sometimes the minimize animation goes to the wrong monitor and while not actually a problem it does annoy the hell out of me.

Followup - the minimizing thing no longer seems to happen, and oddly enough apps end up on the right screen but only coming out of sleep. If the monitors just shut off for inactivity (which they do..prior to sleep) then everything ends up on monitor #1. PersistentWindows does at least solve it but, it sure would be nice if it worked properly without.

Well that's computers for ya.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

nielsm posted:

No regedit needed, just a dab of glue under your Shift key.

WORKS GREAT THANK YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

oh no lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Vic posted:

I have no idea: Aren't there emulation options for running pre-XP stuff?

Yeah but if they need specific hardware or serial connections things get fucky

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

Have they STILL not fixed the windows security center bug? I’m not on my PC so I forget exactly what it is. But all of my fully up to date windows PCs have an alert in Security that something is turned off.

I'm not even sure if they've acknowledged the "sometimes windows explorer just brings itself into focus if you have a folder open" bug

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CBD Corndog posted:

They have, it’s been fixed in insider builds for a couple months. It’ll release who knows when

Oh thank god.

Now all I need to do is figure out why UEFI and Windows each see a different HDMI port on my GPU as "the first one". For some reason that really bugs me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Celexi posted:

yeah I have to plug my monitor 1 to dp port 2 for it to turn on on boot instead of the secondary one, but windows sees it the other way around. same with linux lol

You know I never tried it with Linux

Guess it's..an nvidia thing then?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Getting a 13700K so had to update to Win11. Oh, well, not really a big deal, except that I absolutely hate taskbar icons grouped without labels, which is the only option Win11 currently gives you. I see that it's allegedly in the pipeline for the future but who knows when, and the only third-party programs that do it seem to be paid apps, so... which of those do people prefer, and is it worth using one at all/using one in the time before Windows natively supports it again?

Explorer Patcher, I believe can do it and is free/FOSS

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Last time I did it, I had to get around it by opening the console during the installation process and doing... something. I guess killing the network connection? You can probably find a detailed guide, this seemed to work well anyway.

Shift-F10, 'oobe\bypassnro', OOBE restarts and lets you through

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

And the OS just gets objectively worse, but at least grandma won't be confused when she definitely opens up advanced folder options looking for one of the other options there.

Another home run for Microsoft.

this but unironically

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I feel like I've come a long way from rebooting the computer if I went in a wrong directory because I didn't quiiiite try .. to go up a level

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

System Restore actually kinda works these days, which isn't something you could say for uh, most of its existance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

XFCE has basically been 95% the same the entire time I've used it since 2008, albeit with some sanding off of edges. That's both its strength and its weakness. They seem like they're basically strained to the max keeping up with toolkit changes and trying to get over to Wayland (newer Linux backend for GUI rendering), anyway.

KDE is pretty good and is where I'll migrate if I have to switch to Wayland before XFCE is ready for Wayland. I've never been able to get GNOME 3 and using it has always been miserable for me. I don't click with Mac OS X in the exact same way. :shrug: It's just a different paradigm that doesn't work for me at all.

Yeah plasma is pretty good these days and gnome had been a spiralling poo poo show for like a decade and a half more

At least mate is alright

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Admittedly I also miss the days of shell replacements for 9x, blackbox or something? Browsing that and rainmeter configs on deviant art was fun

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Maigius posted:

Is there a way to force the right click menu to show all the goddamn options and not like half of them with a show more option?

In a pinch, shift right click

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

Just downloaded the latest preview build, and choosing Hide for the search icon on the taskbar displays it, and choosing Search Icon Only hides it, lmao.

Weird, it functions normally on both my machines

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

It is weird, no idea. Not like it hurts me or anything, but funny nonetheless.

---

Huh yeah. Wild. It did reset to the full box on my Surface actually.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

Hey! That's not fair! You also get that thing where you windows go back to where they were when you reconnect a monitor or a dock.

But yeah that's it basically.

That thing has never worked for me so I have to use PersistentWindows

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah I can confirm the explorer priority bug is..not fixed in the update preview lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bluetooth loving up is also very normal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I did it last week on a PC in the shop using that method

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

On Win11 Windows Update seems to just automatically grab anything it has and that's worked out well for everything I've used it on.

Well, except for the GPU drivers for the Surface Pro 5, but Snappy got those so whatever, probably just MS being dumb

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

windows update not getting the correct drivers for a microsoft branded computer is pretty funny

It really is

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

woah there, playing a video? let me rev the fuckin fans I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No, except for the system tray/notifications, those are always only on the main unless a third party program does that