Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So I just upgraded and got mostly everything to work decently. I have an annoyance though.. Why do all the windows have 2 pixel thick border around them? It's ugly af and out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

W11 keeps loving up the sizes of my windows.
Steam window, which I kept maximized keeps getting shrunken a tiny bit making the ugly W11 window borders visible.
Discord, which I keep on the left side as narrow as possible gets randomly expanded by ~5 pixels so those pixels start covering windows next to it.

And doesn't anyone else think this is ugly af? This window is jammed to the top right corner, yet there's still this white border visible.

Most programs have this border, but sometimes it's thinner.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 18, 2022

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

A fresh install and (maybe) windows power toys fixed my window sizing issues. Nothing else worked.

It also cleaned up some really weird issues with the Xbox apps I barely use.

That's probably not the answer you want to hear though..

I just installed W11, 4 days ago lmao

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

*: Last time I tried Update and Shutdown, the thing updated and booted back to the login screen and just sat there. gg Microsoft.

Same, it does that every second time I do update and shutdown. It's so annoying since I do that when I'm going to bed so I have to get up again to shut down my pc properly.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

Does anyone have Local Security Authority turned off for reason X today? Maybe another hosed up Windows Defender update?

Oh jeez, I thought I might've gotten a virus or something since it said it was off even after turning it on.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I love how update and shut down in W11 is a gamble between actually shutting down after the update and just staying on.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

LuckyCat posted:

Have they STILL not fixed the windows security center bug? I’m not on my PC so I forget exactly what it is. But all of my fully up to date windows PCs have an alert in Security that something is turned off.

Nope

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

Something is force toggling DND mode on. If I disable DND mode, it gets retoggled to on automatically, loving up notifications. How do I prevent anything from adjusting DND settings? I don't want it to EVER be on.

E: wtf:

It has always been this way for me and I never managed to figure it out. Would be neat to finally fix it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Advanced volume mixer and expanded archive file format support are big thumbs up for me. New features for Paint are great too, especially transparency support. Hopefully their modern settings app will have more useful settings. And that their Explorer changes won't make it run slower or make it buggier.

Apparently there's a new feature in personalization called Dynamic Lighting that lets you control gamer lights of your peripherals. Thats's pretty amazing as company specific programs have been terrible most of the time.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I updated and holy poo poo they did make Explorer worse as I had expected. The newly reworked part of the UI with tabs, address bar and toolbar takes a second longer to load than everything old. Why are they so bad at making it work well?????? It's not gonna affect my use of Explorer, but it's still annoying to see.

Dynamic Light Control doesn't support my Logitech keyboard from like 2018, understandable. Hoping it will support everything from now on at least.

Advanced volume mixer has a scroll bar instead of just expanding the window/widget, could be better.

Paint doesn't appear to be updated, but I noticed that zooming using the slider is choppy af even if the canvas is blank 600x300???

I finally got to uninstall Winrar! You were a great program. Goodbye

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Thanks, but I don't think that's it. If it helps, while it's loading the whole top bar is blank.

Yeah, I had the same thing after the big update. It took like 2 seconds for that to load. Now it takes more like 3/4 of a second. Quite jarring.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 17, 2023

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I think giving us an option to get rid of most of the buttons already accessible in the right click context menu and easiest keyboard shortcuts(copy paste) isn't a bad idea in itself. It'll free up some vertical space. But MS doesn't like customization so they'll ofc not make it optional.
Where the hell is the address bar though??? There was no need whatsoever to change that and where search was.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

doctorfrog posted:

I'm at the point where I mostly use Double Commander or some other free file manager anyway. The lobitomized context menu is more offensive imo.

Yeah, it's annoying to use with bunch of options I use hidden behind another click.
It's also still way slower to appear than the old context menu, ffs. Don't get me wrong, it's not insanely slow or anything, just that old one appeared in about 50-100ms and this one takes like 300-500ms to appear.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dariusz2k posted:

This pretty much sums up my experience with Windows 11:

That's on a fresh reboot too.

This is strangely high to me without having anything open because I get 12GB used out of 32GB when I have Steam, Discord and Chrome open with a bunch of tabs, including a handful of YT tabs that are the most memory hungry.

E: And from a fresh boot it uses 8.7GB after everything has stabilised.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 30, 2023

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Also, how are the Enterprise editions of Windows for home use? Is there anything special about licencing that makes it unviable? I've always used Pro editions, but in 11 they've nerfed a bunch of stuff you used to be able to do with it that really bother me.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I assume I'm not getting any of this stuff pushed onto me because I'm in EU?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Onedrive hijacks print screen and alt+print screen shortcuts and I can't do anything about it? There's nothing about shortcuts in its settings... And save screenshots to onedrive is off already.

Also why do I have to log into all the MS products again every 2-4 weeks? I'm logged into their thing on Windows so why can't they just use that information? Some services require me to re-enter my password and 2fa code, while others just want me to click on log-in. Madness

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rawrbomb posted:

What do you mean hijacks? Like you press print screen and your one drive folder popsup? In windows 11 it should default to the sniping tool, which can save images to your one drive.
If I set Onedrive to start with Windows ShareX can't register the hotkeys for itself because Onedrive took them already.
I've been always just using Dropbox, but I'm trying out Onedrive for more free storage.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Rawrbomb posted:

If you go check in Settings > Accessibility > Use the Print screen key to Open Screen Capture

Is that on or off? If its on try toggling off and rebooting and see if share X will work?

It's off already. Idk if I did it or it defaults to off.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

nielsm posted:

I can't remember exactly what I did to fix this, but as far as I remember, it involved activating OneDrive via that hotkey it registers, and then going through its feature presentation, and at the end rejecting or disabling it. Then it stopped registering that hotkey afterwards.

Thank you nielsm! You're always so helpful c:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why can't I resize it, why can't I get rid of the recommendations area entirely?

Other than that I feel pretty okay about this start menu. It's fast enough, probably because I got the web stuff disabled.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

- No drag and drop ability. I find the file I want, here's an open window I want to copy this result into it. Why can't I just drag it, like I could with Windows 7 or the Start Menu replacements?

Speaking of drag and drop... They don't allow you to drag and drop files onto the explorer address bar anymore either. This is one of the things that just keeps pissing me off as I used to do that a lot.

Also the modern bits at the top of explorer(tabs, address bar and toolbar) take like half a second to load every time I launch it. It doesn't affect the usability or anything, but it's just so pathetic.