Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Win+; (character picker) is a great new feature for someone used to Mac OS X, even if it's a little half-baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Snow Fire posted:

Apparently explorer.exe broke in Windows 11 beta and dev due to an advertisement for Teams, but thankfully a fix was quickly release, though it does requires the user edit the registry. Still, it's truly a wonderful example of innovative advancement that Microsoft can now render machines basically unusable without even needing an update to do it anymore~

I have MS Teams installed and running and I still get those loving advertisement notifications.
(It does make me wonder whether if MS detects you running Webex that it will activate the nag, since I have to run that also.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MikusR posted:

Still a thing with Windows 11.

Yeah, I don't get why people are acting like spending hours getting updates is some lost and forgotten anachronism. It's literally the way Windows still works.

carry on then posted:

Towards the end of its life, Windows Vista had so many updates and such an inefficient method of checking for them that you pretty much couldn't update a GM release of Vista via Windows Update. At least once I had to install both service packs manually, as well as several update rollups just to get Windows Update to actually start installing.

Windows 10 is this way now. Not even starting from the GM.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 1, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Vic posted:

I'm a heavy windows search user and it works great since windows 10. It's pretty powerful.

I simply can't believe this. Windows search won't even find various programs that I have installed.

Everything is mandatory if you're a professional computer toucher.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I just went to Search Settings and it turns out that "Find My Files Classic" ("Classic"? Seriously?) is on by default, which searches only "libraries" and your Desktop.
You have to set it to "Enhanced".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

LOL - just today my work sent out an email emphatically telling people to NOT update their work machines to Windows 11. I mean, I already knew better, but I'm wondering if someone did it without knowing what they were doing and hilarity ensued.

A few months ago they sent out a few increasingly desperate requests asking for more people to pilot Win 11.
Most of our fleet are Skylakes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there some Windows Audio guide?

I don't understand why this is so freaking complicated but why can't I use my microphone at the same time while having sound? I'm even using the USB Dongle that came with my Plantronics headset - what gives?

Sounds to me like you're connecting over BT.
If so, you need to use the headset/handsfree devices which means the audio quality is garbage.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

sarr posted:

I have an old W10 Pro install (with a legit key). Can I download the W11 ISO and install it from scratch using said key without any sort of upgrade process?

Yes, this will work perfectly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm so sick of not being able to chop excess bytes off from the end of a file.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

DPC has to be the worst thing in Windows.
Boy, I love buying a brand new laptop and not being able to play video (or sometimes even audio!) without stuttering.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I would use Rufus to make a Windows 10 install stick and I bet Windows activates itself.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's a self-built PC then the license won't be stored in the firmware

I bought a Ryzen combo second-hand and Windows activated itself.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Vic posted:

I'm sorry but this owns hard. I'm changing a bunch of my drive icons

What's the heart behind a set of venetian blinds?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

redeyes posted:

It's because the menu itself is pinging MS when you do anything. Kill internet and watch the menu just stop working entirely.

code:
GET https://microsoft.com/WindowsTelemetry/RightClickService/GetOptionsForFile?filename=passwords.txt

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

The general abolishing or melting or melding of titlebars into windows is a thing that I am not a fan of

And scrollbars.

We have a Microsoft Planner board for our sales pipeline and the lack of scrollbars is hell.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Snuffman posted:

I can finally switch audio inputs while the program is running and it actually acknowledges the change (ie speakers to headset via software switch), which is something even iTunes never did.

If you set iTunes to DirectSound you can switch audio devices.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kalman posted:

Good news is that “never combine” for the taskbar is back in Insider builds.

If you turn on "never combine", and hover over an entry on the taskbar, do you get the stupid thumbnail?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

G2A is dodgy as gently caress.
No idea about the other one but the URL certainly looks pretty sketchy!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I wish you could turn off certain NVMe slots in BIOS because it's a pain in the butt "disconnecting" disks nowadays.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

We're way beyond needing a file manager replacement, we need a shell replacement.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sorry to interrupt the fascinating slapfight over memory, but is there as much of an advantage of Windows 11 Pro over home compared to Windows 10? I recently got a new gaming laptop (which I upgraded to 32GB of DDR5 ASAP) that came with Win 11 Home installed, and I'm wondering if I should bother buying a Pro key to upgrade it. I probably will, since I did the same with my last laptop (also Win 11), but what would I be missing if I don't?

Remote Desktop

(whether that's worth the couple of bux for a pirate Pro key is up to you)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Surely the right windows key would make more sense

Edit: sorry, we shouldn't expect Microsoft to make sense these days

Laptops already nuked the Right Win key.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hasn't everything? Mine is the button that brings up the right click context menu and has been for about five different keyboards now.

On a desktop kb? I'm surprised they kept context but got rid of Win.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Celexi posted:

and if you need 16 bit or 8 bit you can emulate a 32 bit os that will allow you to run it!

Since "XP Mode" no longer exists, this isn't a point of distinction.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hasturtium posted:

I recently picked up an off/lease HP Z440 workstation for dirt cheap - 12 core Broadwell Xeon, 32GB RAM, TPM 2.0, and storage too, for under $200 - and am genuinely wondering whether it would be worth the trouble to deal with Windows 11 quailing at me that my CPU is unsupported (despite the fact that the alleged blocking issues, Core Isolation and Memory Integrity, can be turned off) or to just Hackintosh the thing.

I loved Hackintosh and was a huge proponent of it for many years, but I think its time has definitely passed now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody should feel dumb that the way they used the internet for years without a problem is now just throwing hundreds of pages of AI generated poo poo into their face

And MS removing all their KB articles and downloads.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

down1nit posted:

Oh poo poo they're going to make AI characters huh. They'll iterate designs, focus group them, add them to menus and OOTB branding. Ugh... AI late night guests...

Microsoft will have the... Hyper customizable gamer waifu or bro stereotype. Or a skyrim dragon.

Hopefully they will update Claudia IDE for Visual Studio 2022 while they're at it.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=kbuchi.ClaudiaIDE

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Woke up to Win11 on my PC.

I've installed Explorer Patcher, but I can't get Process Explorer to show up in the systray.
When I go into the old-school "Notification Area Icons" control panel, and change Process Explorer to "Show icon and notifications", it doesn't stick.
Same with anything else. Any ideas?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

cruft posted:

On the other hand, I heard it has Android emulation, which will let me run Microsoft Authenticator without having to pull out my personal Chromebook every time I want to get onto a federated SharePoint server.

This is genius.
(although it does seem to defeat the purpose of having multiple factors, not that I really care)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, that's true.

Although the point is moot since MS have already removed the Android Appstore from the Windows Store.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

cruft posted:

There is no explanation of why the map is there, so most people ignore it, which is why a type of proxy attack called "evilproxy" is making big waves right now. Nobody thinks anything of it if the map shows Indonesia, because it was never explained why the map mattered.

I don't know why Authenticator doesn't, at a minimum, compare the location against the phone's built-in location services, to at least ask "are they within 500 miles of each other", but I'm sure Microsoft has their reasons.

Also, the GeoIP or whatever of your company's web proxy is usually in some big city that may or may not be anywhere near where you are located.

My company's Citrix VDI terminates in India or France.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, that's my experience. Pretty sure we have SMS verification disabled, so if you don't have your phone with Microsoft Autheticator on it you're pretty much locked out if you do need to log in. At the office and the home machines I use for work, it retains the authentication for a long time and I can just log in as normal.

If you follow the phone transfer process, it offers to wipe your old phone. This will lock you out of your account if you allow it, since the MS Auth app on the new phone is stuck in a useless state until you re-enroll every account again.

~Coxy posted:

I've installed Explorer Patcher, but I can't get Process Explorer to show up in the systray.
When I go into the old-school "Notification Area Icons" control panel, and change Process Explorer to "Show icon and notifications", it doesn't stick.
Same with anything else. Any ideas?

You can actually drag-and-drop icons in the systray overflow to the systray proper.
https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/issues/1157

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

wash bucket posted:

Hello Tiny Timbs,

My name is Segunfunmi, and I'm here to help you with your Microsoft Copilot issues. As an Independent Advisor and fellow Microsoft user, I completely understand your frustration with this issue.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

First, let's check your Copilot Settings. This can be done by opening the Windows Settings menu (use the Windows + I keys), selecting System from the left sidebar, and opening the Copilot menu. Please scroll down to Copilot and open it. Ensure the toggle is enabled, and turn on the permission to show Copilot notifications.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Remember, we're in this together and work to find the best solution for you.

Kind regards,
Segunfunmi.

I can tell this is fake since it's not suggesting sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

astral posted:

It did work properly, but then they hosed with it to make it "update and restart and then shutdown."

If it actually worked as intended, this would be fine, since the previous "update and shutdown" left the secondary part of the update (which can be just as long) to the next boot.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you want to use a local account with no password, and it's a primarily games machine, I would disable the e-cores in BIOS and run Win 10.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

What the gently caress is this thing in Win11 where it doesn't remember mute status per audio device anymore?

Is there a way to change it back to the sensible Win10 mechanism?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Vic posted:

It does I'm using both w10 and w11 with the same devices and it works the same.

But bluetooth devices tend to mess with this because they can control os volume and my experience with various bluetooth devices is weird and magical in annoying ways.

I don't mean to pick a fight, but win10 was absolutely fine for me. Laptop speakers were muted, and BT headphones were unmuted. When I turn the headphones on, they were unmuted by default. When I turn them off, the speakers would go back to mute.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Whenever I see discussions like this I'm reminded that IBM tried to give their LVM to the FOSS community and they declined.

Boot management under AIX is pro.

What I find funny is that the tiny Hackintosh community made a bootloader (out of necessity, but still) that is like a million times better than BCD and GRUB.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

CatHorse posted:

Good news if your work pc is locked down with group policy disabling winget/Store! those new installers bypass those lockdowns and you don't even need to be an admin

Finally I can run Minecraft RTX on my work Z8 with RTX A5000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I bought the Microsoft XBox Headset and the dongle suffers from USB3 interference.

I just gave up and use two headsets; that one for high quality listening and a Plantronics for meetings.