Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Installed on two systems so far.

Last night on my desktop (first gen Ryzen 5, with a first gen Asus b350 motherboard). Asus released a BIOS update specifically for Windows 11 last week. No issues at all. It's actually the first time that Windows has detected my multi-monitor setup before I got the driver for my video card installed. Windows Store and background updates sucked my bandwidth dry for about half an hour, but that's pretty standard.

Today I tossed it on a first gen Surface Pro. I had to go into what it calls a BIOS and turn on TPM and Secure Boot, but it didn't have an issue either. It does seem to be running a bit warmer than it did on Win10, but that could just be the bump from the install and it doing all the behind the scenes setup and shuffle.

So far, I kinda like it. The lack of the clock on every monitor is annoying as gently caress, and you can't shift+click on something on the task bar to open another version (have to right-click and select it from the menu) which is also annoying as gently caress.

The new right-click menu's take a second to get used to, but I do rather like it. So far I haven't had to google how to find something, though a few things are in some sub-menu's that do seem like they were tossed in instead of thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

The hacked MCT generator seems to have worked (no TPM and a 1700) for me.

Installer, after a big scary warning, is chugging along.

A Ryzen 1700? I've got a 1600 on a Prime B350 motherboard by Asus. They pushed out a new BIOS version last week I think it was specifically for Win11 that turned on TPM and I think Secure Boot (not 100% on that one though). My install went through without a single hiccup.

I'd check for a BIOS Update for your motherboard, rather than messing around with that hack thing.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Middle click also opens a second instance.

Thank you very much for this. Will take a bit to get used to, but Middle-Click does indeed open a second instance off the taskbar.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
A few new quirks I've noticed.

The onscreen keyboard will pop-up automatically, but it doesn't shift the page, it simply overlays. An annoyance I found out on my Surface very quickly.

The second, and this one is a pretty major one for me, is quick sound output switching. With Win10, a quick click on the speaker brought up a selection menu of all available sound output options. Now you have to go to the Settings and then select. There used to be a little program that did this in the early days of Win10, but then they simply added it in as default.

I also wish you can just mirror the taskbar on multiple monitors. Having to click Start just to open Chrome or Discord or whatever on another monitor, while I have a game on my main, is stupid.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

codo27 posted:

Multi monitor people, try running a game on your main and then a video in VLC on your secondary. My second is portrait also btw. 2080.

Movies & TV app is still trash. Try to open an AVI, it wont play until I start moving the bar and then I get these god awful loud crackling noises, used to happen in w10 as well, so thats not fixed at all. But then VLC has the aforementioned issue. Video just chugs along and is a very slow slideshow. Comes back to itself when the game loses full screen focus.

Using VLC (and youtube if that counts), I've been playing 3 or 4 different games recently on my main monitor with videos on the other with no slowdown or issues. This is on a 1060. One of my monitors is portrait, still no issues. Sounds like you have something borked on your end somewhere.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is anyone else able to use the Android subsystem? I haven't tried it in a while, but trying to open it just now nothing happens when opening any app, the Amazon app store or the subsystem itself, and attempting to reinstall it from the .appx package tells me that it can't because it uses "certain restricted capabilities".

I think that is getting turned on with the first major patch (so Spring or Fall?). They didn't have it ready for launch, even with how much they hyped it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Huh, it worked previously though, so does that mean they've disabled it again?

I want to say they had it on in one of the Dev builds, but not any of the release ones.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

beuges posted:

The biggest problem that I can see is that MS is yet again forgetting that the world is not just the USA. Not sure how many markets Amazon sells their android devices in but it’s definitely a lot fewer than say Huawei who have their own App Store as well. So the vast majority of Windows users are going to be stuck not having access to apps they have on their phone because MS partnered with Amazon.
I was curious about this, and a quick google got me an article from 2013 saying Amazon sell their tablets in 170 countries, with a follow-up a year later adding 40 more. Now there are 195 recognized countries, also according to google, so the math gets a little weird, but ignoring that part, they sell their tablets globally, and their app store is just as global.

Their app store might not be as known as Google's, which I'd chalk up to the fact that Amazon doesn't have a phone, and the Play Store is on every android phone in existence, but it is hardly an oversight as you imply by Microsoft.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
It is only avaible in Win11. As far as I know there are no plans to implement the e-core scheduler in Win10.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I've used Rufus for so long now it's second nature for me to use it as the go-to for making a bootable USB drive. Especially since when I get bored I tend to tinker with some older hardware I have laying around, and it can make non-UEFI bootable drives.

The creation tool from Microsoft is probably the easiest way to go, as it can do pretty much everything in a few clicks (even download the ISO right?) when I last tried it out.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Say you're into music production software, you might well have to deal with a hundred installers for plugins, each initiated through some nasty proprietary piece of middleware that the developer hopes prevents piracy, that you're sure to have to log into their website for and have to download a downloader stub for to even be allowed to download the actual software with. Forget cleanly transferring presets you might have made in the past, asset folders, projects. Forget getting that set up in even a week and you're bound to lose some thing or another in the process, through no fault of your own. It's an absolute nightmare and I just gave up on a Windows 8 computer that I couldn't get upgraded to 10.
This is a case where you should be imaging and archiving. That is indeed not a case where a "simple re-install" is simple, however your (?} case is going to be a faction of a percentage of Windows users.

For just installing Win 10 or 11, you are talking 10-15 minutes. And that is from starting to being at the desktop (unless you are installing to spinning disks, then just why??). Downloading updates isn't like the Win7 days where it had to get everything in order. Now it just grabs the latest version compared to what you used for an ISO, and any small updates in-between. One can lower the update time by grabbing the latest ISO too if the one you have is over a year or so old.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

beuges posted:

I have a low powered spare laptop that would ideally be better suited as an extra screen to my main laptop than a separate machine. Is there any sort of software that will treat a separate pc as an extra screen?

There is KVM software that would do that. Something like Synergy (paid now), Input Director, Mouse Without Border (Microsoft's version). I used Synergy back in the day, but not since it went paid. MWB I used recently, and it's pretty good.

Windows itself has Project to this PC. Both systems have to be on Win10 at least.

Last one I know of is called Spacedesk. I've seen it talked about that it can be used with just about anything that can connect to your network and is/has a screen.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are some of those capable of working over a cable of some sort? I've made light use of the Windows Project to PC function, and found that on low-powered hardware it struggles, and even on higher-powered hardware the wifi lag can be annoying. I've also tried using a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and run into some of the same issues. With the lag it would be okay for presenting or something, but as a second monitor it frequently left something to be desired.

Far as I know, no. They all will require network connection of some sort.

Unless your laptop has a video input (which I can't recall ever seeing on a laptop), it will have to be done through software. Unless...

There is always the option of ripping the screen off the thing, get a small input board, and viola, you have a second monitor. You can probably find a frame and stand setup through one of the many 3d printing repositories, or make one out of some u-channel. There are multiple videos out there on how to do this But, the cost and time to get everything could be days or weeks.

You might be better off just getting a cheap monitor and not having to deal with any of that, just hook it up.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
Removing most of the stuff you see in the Start Menu is as simple as Right-Click - Uninstall. It takes me maybe 30 seconds to go through the list of whatever has been rolled in now. No need for a Powershell script.

I just did a fresh Win11 install here maybe a month ago, and it honestly wasn't that much. I don't get anything about OneDrive either. I did have to use a Microsoft Account, but I had one from beta testing 11 or 10, and it worked fine.

As to adblocker, uBlock Origin will prevent commercials on Youtube and Peacock from ever starting. You still get whatever sponsor spot the youtuber themselves put in, but no in-video ads at all. It's made it so I HATE trying to watch anything on my TV on the Roku.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Windows-tangential question:

A family member has a laptop running Windows 11 and it has a shattered but functional screen. They are going to drop it off at Geek Squad or local PC repair place to have the screen replaced.

Are there any precautionary measures they can take in Windows 11 to protect their files/data residing on the laptop, in case a PC tech snoops around? Or should I backup their files, delete, then do a fresh install of Windows before dropping it off?

I've never had to turn in a laptop for repair so I'm not sure what the standard procedure is.

You could just pull the ssd/nvme. A computer doesn't need one to boot and verify that the screen works. If they replace with the same thing, once you put the drive back in Windows probably won't make any fuss about it, though it might install new Monitor Drivers if there is a version change.

Could also enable a password/pin for Windows Boot as the simple method, because depending on the laptop model, getting it apart to pull the drive could be just a few screws or screws, tabs, keyboard, ribbon cable and the like. If it has it you could even enable a BIOS password.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Yeeeesh. I'm not going to attempt pulling the drive. I'll see if I can back up her stuff on an external drive and wipe before dropping it off. I think that article confirms what a lot of IT workers (and probably non-IT) suspect about dropping off devices for repair.

I didn't mean to scare you off of pulling the drive. A number of modern laptops have gotten a lot friendlier to open. That said, if it is a cheap low-end model, they tend to still be in the "we're annoying to open and you might break a tab, oh there are also 3 hidden screws" boat.

Really the best way to protect the data from someone snooping at it would be for it to not be there. So backup the drive (I'd image the thing and back up that image to something), wipe it, and send it along. They do not need windows installed to see if the new screen works. If you really want or you think they might bitch, take 15 minutes and toss windows on it.

Straight pulling the drive, whether you put a spare in just to have Windows on it or not, would be the quickest way I'd bet. No having to wait for an image to be made and then copied.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Latitude 7490 with Intel 8250U and 32GB RAM that I mainly use for web browsing and MS Office. I plan to keep the laptop for another 5+ years since the 4c/8t CPU is capable and the battery is replaceable.

I'm upgrading the 250GB SSD to 1TB and my question is whether I should also upgrade from Win10 Pro to Win11. If I do an in-place upgrade to Win11 to activate it on my hardware, followed by a clean Win11 install on the new SSD, my concern is that if Win11 is sluggish on the hardware and I want to go back to Win10, I won't be able to activate Win10 after a reformat/reinstall. I bought the laptop used which I think had an activated install, so I don't have a key sitting around.

As others have said, laptops from at least the Win 10 days, I think they might have started before that, store the Windows Activation on the hardware of the system itself. This also applies to pre-built systems.

Toss the new SSD in there, fresh install Win11, and use it. If you don't like it, format and toss Win10 on it. Worse case you are out a bit of time downloading and re-installing some stuff. Windows installs take 10 minutes or so now a days.

The absolute worse case is you have to authenticate the key with a phone call (do they still do that) or online, if you do multiple re-installs in like a single day or something, maybe.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Say you work in medicine without saying you work in medicine.

Manufacturing too.

I temped at a plastic injection molding factory for a few months maybe 10 years ago at most, and they had two closets full of Win 3.x, Win 95, and a few XP capable components so they could repair the systems on the factory floor. I asked why they don't update to modern machines and the licensing costs for the injection molding software had increased by something like a factor of 100, due to "supporting the latest version of Windows".

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. Should my old installations work without issue if I connect the old ssd as a secondary drive?

My question is, old installations of what?

Games - Most will work fine once you find the exe and manually launch them, then you can make a new shortcut to your desktop or start menu. Save's though are more than likely out of luck, as most games keep those in the User folder now (which will be part of the original Windows install). Configurations are "usually" kept in the install directory.

Software - Office, cad, music, whatever. Probably same as games honestly. It will depend on where it keeps their configurations, addons, and the like.

Windows 10 - It should work if you swap it in place of the Win 11 drive.

That said, I'd pull the old drive, put in the new one, install fresh to it. Then I'd get a USB enclosure for the old drive (USB-C if you can, otherwise they are available as regular USB, just slower). If the Win10 drive is an nvme, they make a nice little portable drive once they are in an enclosure.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Kin posted:

I've no idea what UEFI is, but I think I get you.

If it's enabled that option will be there in addition to c: d: etc

I can't quite remember when I last reinstalled windows 10 (maybe 5 years ago), but is it likely it just has that option enabled by default?

You might have an easier time just installing Win11 on the nvme rather than going through all the new hardware association and driver re-installs.

What I'd do is build the new system with only the nvme drive present. Install Win11, get everything updated and running, then I'd add a hard drive at a time.

It sounds like you might even be able to simply keep your old system together, since you got everything to make a new one. If so, grab a USB Thumb Drive (or an external if you have one of those), boot up the old system, look for anything you need or want from the old Win10 install, copy it to the USB stick, and bring it over to the Win11 computer. For software, that can be a little bit trickier, especially if it is something with addons or custom folders (audio and video software I know can get crazy like this). But if it is just pictures and documents, a USB thumb drive will work just fine. If it's games, you should be able to find the save location and back that up. For Steam, it can cloud save, I believe, but it also keeps it's game saves in the Steam folder by default, or is it up to the individual game? (I don't do much with Steam at all anymore)

Then you could repurpose the old system. Probably would make a great little plex server.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Kin posted:

Yeah, that might be an easier approach, but also one that would set me back maybe £150-£200 for a new case and another windows licence (if I've understood you correctly).

I'm also partial to having windows installed on its own drive. Maybe that's not the done thing anymore? It still feels like the right thing to do if anything ever goes wrong with windows or the HDD.

That's why I'm hoping just plugging the drives in and letting windows do its thing to fix itself is the easiest option.

Then hopefully the only software I need to configure is steam and pointing it to the correct place if the drive letters have changed (though I'll be copying the games over to the NVMe drive anyway).

The old parts currently don't have a use though, which is a thing I'm trying to figure out.

I already have a small form factor refurbed dell optiplex running as a plex server. It's kinda slow as I think some of the parts were missold, but it does the job fine for something that runs in the background.

My oldest kid is just under 2 as well, so he's a few years off from getting a hand me down to play Minecraft or whatever on (though I'm sure the parts will still be more than good enough for him then).
Yes and no on the price. Just to get your old system running, sitting it on a cardboard box with everything attached is sufficient to get it booted and backup what you want off it. As to a Windows License, officially I don't think you actually need one anymore. Microsoft doesn't much care, just a few customization options are limited if you don't enter a key. That said, take a look at SA Mart on this site. A few people sell Win11 keys for quite cheap (10-20 bucks US). I'd shoot them a message or post to see how the exchange rate would work, but I am guessing it wouldn't be much of an issue.

As to a case for the old system, since there is no rush keep an eye out for something basic and on sale. Generic cases I've seen as low as $30 US here and there, and with Black Friday coming up (though that might be more a US thing), but just prep for Christmas sales, there will be deals to be had.

The "Windows on it's own drive" might still be a tiny benefit, but I'd doubt much of one anymore given the speeds of nvme drives. Back in the day, yes it was a significant boost to have Windows on C and everything else on D, E, whatever. There might be a bit of a boost with SSD's keeping it separate still, as their speed isn't "fast", but that is compared to nvme.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Kin posted:

Hmm, I didn't realise I could get windows 11 for 20 bucks, that's a bit of a game changer.

I've already hooked up the drives (though haven't finished setting up the rig as my CPU was stolen in delivery), but it wouldn't be too much effort to take out the windows SSD and do what you said instead.

Plus it turns out the Windows SSD is only 180GB. No idea if that's enough for the long term.

If I'm popping the old storage drives in anyway it won't matter too much about transferring files to USB etc either, windows 11 should just access them up without wanting to reformat them or anything right?

When I give my son the old parts in about 3 years, I'll probably just pop in a new storage SSD for him along with a new case.

Actually, that being said, windows 10 will still be fine to use in about 3 years right (it'll be a 5 year old using it)? The old parts don't support windows 11 apparently so it's what the rig is stuck with.

It's got a gtx 1660ti, so should let him play a plethora of games when he's finally old enough.

And then you go ahead and reaffirm the core reason why I keep windows on a separate drive. That peace of mind that it's just the windows install that needs corrected feels kinda invaluable.

Sorry about the delay.

That small of an SSD would work for Windows, and additional programs. My current install of Win11 22 gig, not counting the User folder, which varies greatly from person to person.

You would probably notice a speed increase running Windows off the nvme, especially if that SSD is on the older side.

As Flipperwaldt said, Win10 updates end somewhere in 2025. You could use any number of Linux installs, which work extremely well with Steam and I think Minecraft (no personal experience on the latter though).

There shouldn't be any issue with simply plugging the drive from the previous system into the new and it sees everything, but occasionally it can go sideways. I had a storage drive that, honestly I'm not sure WTF happened. Somehow it got fully associated with the previous Windows install, and when I plugged it into the new install (this is when I built a new system), it could not read the file structure at all. I didn't go into trying to get the stuff off it too hard, as it was simply old backups. But I lost everything on the drive.

I've also had the weird issue, though this might have been a Win10 thing, where the Administration level of the previous Windows install is still on the drive, and I have had to give myself permission to edit anything on the drive. I haven't had that one that I recall since moving to Win11 though.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I'd honestly suggest just using your microsoft account and setting up windows with that. Using Rufus works yes, though I have a 50/50 ratio of it making a modified install. Remember though, it looks like Kin hasn't installed Windows in near a decade. Going through those convoluted instructions, to me, is more headache than it's worth.

As to install time Kin. It's about 10 minutes from starting the install from a USB thumb drive to being at the desktop now. Especially since you will be installing to a nvme drive.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Kin posted:

Aha, thanks again for the info.

That's me more or less in a basic setup for Windows 11, though the key I got from SAmart doesn't work so it's not activated yet (that being said I've not restarted it yet so that might be what I need to do). Other than that it was nice and speedy.

There was some weird poo poo during setup where it detected another two 2TB drives in addition to the NVMe drive that was attached (though it said it couldn't install to them because they were the wrong format or something). I'd unhooked all of my old SATAs leaving just the external HDD and the NVMe connected, so I dunno what else it spotted.

One mistake I made after logging in was telling it to restore the backup of my old Windows 10 install. All that's seemingly done is make a set of shortcuts on the taskbar (Spotify, chrome, etc), but not actually install the apps. I'm not quite sure if it's restored the files from my Windows install because I never really stored anything on it. I kinda wish I'd selected the clean install so that if there was something I didn't remember to install, I clearly didn't use it anymore.

One thing though, I'm getting a weird issue where telling Chrome/edge to save to desktop doesn't actually save things to the desktop. As in, it doesn't appear on the actual desktop.

Also, it's more of a personal taste issue, but getting used to the taskbar being on the bottom is gonna take a while. For the last 20-odd years, I'd moved the taskbar to the top of the screen because it's about the only thing I liked about a Mac. It was nice to basically have all the many buttons for browsers/apps/windows all in one place.

Now to hook up the drives, copy poo poo across and I think I'm basically ready to test the new rig out on some games.

Edit: oh and can anyone explain how I restore my USB drive back to it's original state now Windows 11 is installed?

I've managed to find the options to reformat the unallocated space in Disk Management, but after deleting the boot partition, it's not left with 2 separate slots of unallocated space 2048GB and 1677.99GB. I can't seem to merge them together, is there an option I'm missing somewhere?
Shoot a message (if you have that ability) to the seller. My guess is it's a regional thing, as you aren't in the USA correct?

Sounds like it detected the external? Is that partitioned by chance?

I've not messed with backup restores practically ever. Hopefully someone here has some knowledge of that.

Saving to the desktop might be a permission thing.

There is a program that can let you move the taskbar, but it usually breaks in some way when Microsoft rolls out a major update. It can also, at times, cause some other weirdness. I think they are eventually letting the user move the taskbar, but it isn't in yet.

The USB drive you mentioned. Is this an external or a Thumb Drive? Probably the easiest way is to right-click the Start Button, select Disk Management, find the drive (make VERY certain you select the correct drive), remove the partitions, and then do a new partition of the full capacity. Once you formatted it should be ready to be used.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

redeyes posted:

For the most part those cheap codes dont work anymore.

I'd guess you are thinking of the old MSDN keys. Those were often sold and Microsoft did repeated ban waves of them. They also haven't been a thing for a decade or so.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where does one get the Enterprise ISO and how does one convert to Pro?

I'd have to double check, but the ISO you download from Microsoft has all the versions on it. If it does have Enterprise, install that, active with a Pro key.

You can also try to select English, but no country (I can't recall the name of it) during the install. I've read, but not tried, that it installs a pretty plain version of Windows 11 then. I believe this is due to the laws in Europe.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Quackles posted:

Got it. What do you recommend I do for fan speed management instead?

(Preferably, whatever it is doesn't need an extra installation. I don't want to have to bother my IT department if I don't have to - they're pretty busy.)

Check the BIOS. On a Dell laptop I've no clue, I haven't had one in years. Most manufacturers though put the fan curve settings right in the BIOS itself now a days. Premade though?

Otherwise you could get something like Fan Control.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

down1nit posted:

A driver update is firmly within your control, as is a bios update, as long as IT haven't locked you out of running as Administrator. If you need some step by step we'd be happy to help

For some companies, an employee updating their assigned computer on their own, it can border on "very much discouraged" to "if you know how, go ahead" to "grounds for termination". It depends on what the company does, their policies in place, what kind of data they deal with to name just a few.

The laptop might just be a simple something ordered from Dell and handed to an employee with no safeguards to a locked down system only able to run specific things. To me it sounded like Quackles should hand it over to IT for them to deal with, regardless if whether they know how to or not.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Absolute dickheads. I didn't even know the android app thing was beyond vaguely experimental and was waiting for it to mature. I'm sure I'd have found my way to it if it was advertised the way all the AI garbage is!

That seems to be why they are discontinuing it. It was hyped up quite a bit before launch, then they pushed it back over a year I think it was. By the time it did launch it was barely given any fanfare or big announcement, and really I think people just kind of forgot about it.

I tried it about a year ago and really meh'd on the whole thing. You had to use Amazon's App Store, though I think you could sideload the Google Play Store. But it had issues then with compatibility even with stuff from the Amazon Store. So many Android apps just aren't meant to scale to a computer monitor. Hell, I have issues with a few apps scaling to a 10" tablet at times.

It wasn't a horrible load on my system, but it was noticeable, however I was still on a first gen Ryzen 1600 at the time. I'd bet with my current setup I would barely, if at all, notice.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

This morning I saw a popup about Dynamic Lighting being available and it took me to a settings panel I hadn't seen before that allowed me to fiddle with the LED logo on my mouse.

This got turned on a month or so ago if I remember right. Like you, I can only get it to adjust the lights on my mouse, but nothing else. So the fans and motherboard lights I have to use the motherboard software, which at least I can set and then turn the program fully off.

If more companies open up their libraries so Windows can control lighting natively, and one would only have to install a piece of software for macro's or DPI, then great. Fan Curve too, though that is generally programmed to the motherboard and doesn't need to be constantly running too. Can also do it in BIOS.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

It took an annoying half a day when I was setting up my laptop, but my Windows 11 install is probably 95% the same as W10 at this point, and I don't get any of the pathetic pop ups, notifications, and special offers that make W11 feel like a f2p mobile game instead of an OS.

Not that people should have to do that in the first place, but it's not like this crap is completely unremovable.

Following this plus disabling everything Cortana/Onedrive/Edge related (you don't have to try and rip them out of the guts of the OS, disabling everything possible should keep them quiet) should get you most/all of the way there.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-remove-most-annoying-ads-from-windows

I'm curious what took half a day?

I just set up Win11 for my father and aunt, as the computers they were on were getting a little long in the tooth, as well as did a fresh install on my main system here a few months ago when I got a new video card. From booting with the USB to desktop was maybe 10 minutes. Getting any updates my install ISO didn't have was half an hour, and that is pretty good considering how poo poo my internet service is. I did have to re-uninstall the bloatware like Spotify and Linkdin because it seems if you uninstall them while they are updating, or even queued for updating, it just re-installs them, but that is as simple as a right-click and Uninstall. Oh, and first thing I do is uninstall One-Drive, which does stay uninstalled at least so it doesn't Cloud associate the My folders.

I think the only pop-up I've had at all is when they first rolled out CoPilot (which I hide on my taskbar).

Honestly the only issues I've had with Win11 weren't Microsoft's faults, it's been crappy drivers.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

cruft posted:

Really not looking forward to HQ pushing me onto Win11 after reading this thread. On the other hand, I heard it has Android emulation, which will let me run Microsoft Authenticator without having to pull out my personal Chromebook every time I want to get onto a federated SharePoint server. And I heard wsl2 won't require some bonkers kludge to use the right name server with our VPN client installed.

So kind of a mixed bag?

In closing, I miss having a Linux desktop.

Flipperwaldt beat me to it regarding Android on Windows 11.

If you are on a managed setup, it can be very different from consumer win11. It all depends on how well it is managed.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Windows 10 vs 11 question.

Building a PC this coming weekend for a family member who plays some games and uses it for normal PC poo poo. Won't be a work from home PC. We all use win 10. This PC is using a 12700k, with e-cores. Should I just install win11 on this machine? I figured a list might make this easier:

1. How similar is win11 to win10 in terms of me troubleshooting issues on the machine?
2. How different is it to use (as an only-computer) for someone who has used windows their whole life but doesn't generally have a lot of tolerance for frustrating computer poo poo?
3. Is there anything to be aware of in terms of networking/filesharing between win10 and win11?
4. The PC would be used without a PW, in win10 this would be a local account etc, is there any weirdness in win11 with that?
5. If I do go for win11, should I install direct to win11 somehow or install win10 then 'upgrade' to win11 immediately? I would be buying a key from SA Mart.

On the flip side:
6. How much am I giving up using a cpu with e-cores on win10?
7. Are there still issues with win10 assigning tasks to the e-cores?
I set up two new-to-them computers for my father and aunt, both in their late 70's. To make it as easy as possible I did a few things, but mostly they just use it, and I haven't had a single call of "how/where is this now?" in the 2 months since I set them up.

1 - Very similar on the surface, except for the Start Menu, which is set up in the center by default. You can left-align it, so it will look more like Win10 though.
2 - see 1
3 - Filesharing in 11 has a bit more "security" to it. You will have to log in to the actual computer that is sharing using the full account password. Not the PIN or face, or any other option, the password. Once you do that then you are fine, even if you turn the computer on and off again. This one frustrated me for a while.
4 - As far as I know, with the latest version of 11 you cannot. At a minimum you have to use a PIN. 4 digits, it doesn't make you change it after xx time. I don't think you can use something like 1111, or a sequence though.
5 - Install directly. You can grab the ISO from Microsoft themselves, then put in the key during install.
6 - Quite possibly a lot from the sounds of how the family member uses the computer. The E-Cores would handle most desktop stuff, and Win10 simply doesn't know how to handle the scheduler much at all.
7 - see 6

I would grab Rufus to make the bootable USB. It will allow you to "Remove requirement for an online Microsoft account". It just works. You set up the user name, a password if you want (required though as noted for file sharing), and off you go. No need to go through the steps to do this manually. It says it can also "Disable data collection (Skip privacy questions)" I don't know if this just skips them or if it disables, I haven't tried this one before.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows 10 was supposed to get nothing but security updates since the 22H2 release, but they've rowed back a bit on this, for example pushing Copilot to Windows 10 machines.

I can't really imagine they'll not extend Windows 10 security updates past its current End of Life date à la Windows 7. StatCounter lists Windows 10 usage worldwide at 69.04%, Windows 11 at 26.72% and, surprisingly, Windows 7 at 3.04%, with the remainder covered by Windows 8 and Windows XP.

That XP is in use more than the original 8 release is hilarious.

Anyway, let's be generous and say that Windows 11 will have 50% usage by the middle of next year. That leaves half of all Windows machines without security updates, which is just waiting on a worm to destroy them. I can't see Microsoft maintaining the EoL date.

They could if they force the update to 11. Will that make them friends? No. But they can easily fall back on "We've told you this date for years, and now we're doing something about it since you won't".

Can you defer MacOS updates? I know it won't update past a certain point if the system is "too old" or the like, however it does pretty much force updates on the user right?

As to that Win7 percentage, I wonder how many of those are POS system or ATM's?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

biznatchio posted:

Forcing the update to 11 won't do a whole lot unless they also drop the secure boot requirement and relax their requirements on supported CPU lines. This isn't 2009 anymore where machines a decade old are hopelessly out of date and can be ignored; there are a lot of decade-old machines out there today that run just fine and nobody has any intention of upgrading and will continue to run Windows 10 because they just can't run Windows 11 with its current minimum requirements.

Officially atm, 8th gen Intel, or Ryzen AM4 are the minimum requirements for Win11. Those came out in 2017 and 2016. So a ten year old computer is already getting there with that hardware.

They have made some exceptions to the 8th gen rule however. I have a first gen Surface Pro with a 3rd gen i3 in it, and it took Win11 without any issues or modification to the installer. Weirdly, I got an XPS 13 with a 7th gen i7 recently, and it also took Win11 with no modification.

Microsoft can modify the requirements, so maybe once that hard '25 date gets closer they will.

I want to note, those two computers I mentioned that I got for my father and aunt, one was $150, the other was $110. There's an electronic recycling company about an hours drive from me. They always have business level desktops and laptops for sale at around those prices (higher for newer, but nothing much over 200 bucks). No, tossing 150 bucks for a "new" computer isn't something everyone can do, I don't want it to be seen that I'm trying to be flippant about that. And maybe that store is an oddity in their prices compared to elsewhere in the US or World. But getting something that officially takes Win11, if those yearly costs for continued support of Win10 are anywhere 100 a year, wouldn't be much of an ask at all.

wash bucket posted:

No, macOS doesn’t force updates. I used and supported Macs in a professional setting for years and we always had to keep our workstations a version or two behind due to a lovely software vendor that was slow to support new releases of macOS.
Thanks for the clarification. My experience with Mac anything is my 8th gen or so ipad (which I use as a kindle practically), and it just says "hey, we're updating tonight", and many moons ago getting MacOS on a dell laptop all hackintosh style.

VelociBacon posted:

Strangely, windows has decided my pc is Not Windows 11 Ready, it's a 9900k/3090 fully watercooled machine
Uhh, that isn't right. Unless you have some weird motherboard that doesn't have the TPM 2.0 module? I'd just make a boot USB and give it a go anyway.

There have been people here who have said they weren't able to get a certain update, but the one after they could. It might be that hang up? It can get fussy, with no rhyme or reason at times why it says you can't install this specific version of Win11 but can the previous/next one.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

First gen Ryzen is below the minimum requirement for windows 11 because it lacks that cpu virtualization thingy I believe.

I had a first gen Ryzen 1600 that took Win11 just fine. I only had to turn on Secure Boot in the bios.