Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There will 100% be a way to prevent upgrades in corporate environments. Maybe even something as sensible as turning off auto-upgrade if the machine is domain joined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My poo poo Dell XPS got a firmware update to TPM 2.0 a couple years ago

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the firmware update is serviced through Windows Update (this is OEM specific) then it handles that part for you

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably some godawful advert telling people to upgrade pushed through Windows Update

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Display scaling (especially handling displays connecting and disconnecting) and piss-poor Bluetooth audio support are sort of the hallmarks of a Windows OS at this point

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use that McAfee disk encryption software so it's 50/50 whether you're able to get at your own data, that must mean it's less likely that someone stealing your laptop can get in, right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For people on Windows 10, 21H2 is available now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think this setting has something to do with it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Right-click the window preview and click move, tap an arrow key, and then move the mouse. Does it come back?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there any firmware updates offered on the Lenovo support website that aren't being pushed to you in their own updater app?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there any reports of Edge hanging for 2-3 minutes while playing video on Windows 11? The audio continues to play but the browser becomes totally unresponsive before recovering by itself. There are no issues in Chrome.

I Googled but can only find a bunch of spam websites in the results or those generic driver cleanup sites, possible that I’m using the wrong search terms though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does she need a computer or could she do everything on an iPad?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, the OneDrive updater spawning four console windows during the update. :golfclap:

Ah that's what those are

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ink subscription services are the devils work

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I feel like a massive luddite but I don’t want any smart home devices, I don’t want something with a Wi-Fi radio deciding if my lights are turning on, and I’ll go out of my way to avoid subscriptions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Physical switches have a tendency to actually work 100% of the time, which is a pretty desirable feature.

Even just considering the environmental cost of it all, a light switch will work fine for what, 40-50 years? Buying whatever smart switch Amazon deem to be the hotness right now will get you at most a decade before support is dropped or a component burns out, and then you have to dispose of electronics instead of a couple of strips of copper and a spring.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Amazon wanting to shovel as much crap as possible by letting anything work with Alexa, resulting in things talking between apps over web APIs rather than insisting that everything happens locally over Zigbee or the LAN is also not a great design decision.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Follow up to:

Thanks Ants posted:

Are there any reports of Edge hanging for 2-3 minutes while playing video on Windows 11? The audio continues to play but the browser becomes totally unresponsive before recovering by itself. There are no issues in Chrome.

I Googled but can only find a bunch of spam websites in the results or those generic driver cleanup sites, possible that I’m using the wrong search terms though.

I managed to stop Edge hanging all the time when displaying video by turning off the hardware acceleration, then went looking for a fix. Turns out the latest Intel Iris Xe drivers being served by Dell/Windows Update were 30.0.100.9955 which are from last year. Downloaded 30.0.101.1404 from the Intel website and removed the previous drivers (a couple cycles of removing the display adapter from Device Manager with the box ticked to delete the drivers, until it was a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter), installed the latest from the Intel support site and the problem looks to have gone away.

I assume eventually the drivers on the Dell site and Windows Update would have advanced to include a version with this problem fixed, but it was getting annoying.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I used to steer people away from Bluetooth headsets for that reason, and went down the route of DECT units (this was in the time when headsets were primarily for deskphones, and PC compatibility was an additional feature). DECT hasn't been touched in years though whereas Bluetooth is constantly getting improvements in terms of bandwidth and power consumption - my new Poly Voyager battery lasts for ages compared to the Plantronics DECT headset I used before.

But yeah, use the dongle. Teams certified devices use the dongle, and they get selected by default when the Teams client can see them. Paired out the box, and leaves a Bluetooth pairing slot free for your mobile.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the search indexer ballsing it up? My indexer got stuck and I just did a reinstall (keeping all apps/documents) and that fixed it. It's a really painless option and takes about an hour.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd like small taskbar icons back and some improvements in the right-click menu to stop it being a two stage thing, other than that I don't have many complaints

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had that, enabling .NET 3.5 in the Windows Features thing fixed it, even if I removed it again after

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For a few weeks now my Windows 11 laptop has been having issues connecting to certain sites. If I go to admin.microsoft.com in Edge or Chrome I will always get a "Hmm... can't reach this page." ERR_CONNECTION_RESET error. If I refresh a few times the page loads. The same will happen on two or three other domains totally unrelated to this one. It only happens on these sites, but it reliably happens on these sites.

I've reinstalled the OS with the option to preserve my apps and settings and that hasn't fixed it. There's no extensions installed that would be messing with this (it happens in private windows as well), and it seems to intermittently also affect the Teams client as a couple of times I day I will get a message that the app is offline. If I ping a hostname that behaves like this I will always get a response. It's not like it's timing out - it instantly drops to this state.

It does this regardless of the network it's connected to. I have uninstalled everything related to networking that I can think of (any VPN clients, Wireshark with the ncap driver, I've removed Hyper-V so it took the virtual NIC away) and the problem will not go away. I've updated all the NIC drivers though the problem exists regardless of whether I am on Wi-Fi or on a cabled LAN. Making a fresh local user account on the device and using that, the problem exists in that account too.

I'm sort of tearing my hair out here because the last thing I want to do is flattem the device and everything I know about how modern Windows reinstalls suggests that I've essentially already done that.

Edit: Looks like it was a Dell service :argh:. Dell Optimizer if anybody sees this thread in the future. Stop the service and everything starts working, so uninstall that piece of garbage.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 26, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Click on the device in the list

Click on "don't allow"

It's gone!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think in the past there could have been an issue with using a third-party DNS where you'd be sent to a server other than your ISPs on-net cache for things like Netflix, though now I think that's all handled via anycast so not as relevant now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BT have (officially) stepped back from any tracking stuff they were trialling, and that was probably a decade ago now.

Even if you change DNS servers it's still all happening in plaintext, so if you're concerned about that you need to be looking at using DNS over HTTPS, either locally on your clients or by deploying a DNS server in your network and having that resolve external addresses using DoH.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Windows upgrade is basically a reinstall from USB now, it just does stuff like copying your profile folder and re-linking the installed apps for you. This also applies when moving between feature releases.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're buying used then you can get stuff like the Optiplex Micro with 10th-gen Intel chips in for around £300, so I would definitely push for something newer than a 6th gen if your budget can get you there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the flip side though, it's made 7th-gen machines really cheap and they will be more than adequate for a Plex box. Windows 10 is supported through to 2025.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there some Lenovo or Intel software that is helpfully disabling the Wi-Fi when there's an ethernet cable plugged in?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every Windows feature update is basically a fresh install, so you get a clean install twice a year or so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a self-built PC then the license won't be stored in the firmware

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Enterprise is the no bullshit SKU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's either volume license or M365 subscription unfortunately

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you can be bothered to create an M365 tenant then you can buy a single license, you need to find a CSP reseller. RRP for Windows Enterprise E3 is £5.30/month according to the price list I have.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 15, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Imagine applying for a PM role though and your experience with MS is that you fought to get the Add Font window redone and managed to win against all the bureaucracy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you've been doing feature updates from Windows 10 and onwards it's pretty much a clean install anyway, it just re-links your apps etc. once the update has completed. There's probably a lot less poo poo left behind on there than you might expect.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does this work

https://cmdrkeene.com/remote-desktop-with-microsoft-account-sign-in/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sunglasses but also go and see an optician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants