Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Post about old computer stuff in this thread. Covers anything from Turing theory, ENIAC, EDVAC, IBM mainframes, PDE-69s, Commadore-420s, IBM PCs, lovely 90's beige boxes, windows XP, whatever. Installation, hobby collection, modern day use, restoration, sexual gratification with CD trays, and so on.

I'd especially appreciate any Hot Takes on the use of computers in Communist society. There's a lot about the USSR and clones that's very interested, but I don't really know too much about it. Please feel free to effort post on how Stalin hated gamers or something.

We could also discuss the computer's role in the 1960's collage campus "activism," the hippie to tech shithead pipeline, and on whether owning a computer is bourgeois decadence and inherently reactionary to dialectical thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
To start, I will show off the one bit of retro tech I really have in my apartment at the moment. Everything else has been in storage for years.

Commodore 1701 Color Monitor

A compact little CRT with component and pre-S Video S video input, mono speaker. I've used it for a retro raspberry pi build, but don't have a great spot to set it up. Works like a dream after I cleaned it up (found it on the street with a free sign, carted it home through rain) but could probably use some new caps and a tune-up by someone less afraid of high current.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I’ve got a keyboard with keys that replicate a sweet blue design made in the GDR riiight before the wall fell so they didn’t last long https://drop.com/buy/gmk-triumph-adler-keycap-set

It’s purdy

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

what makes this leftist instead of a misplaced yospiss post

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i use left hand mouse op, despite being right handed. you should try it out.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Trash Ops posted:

what makes this leftist instead of a misplaced yospiss post

Communismputer

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Homeless Friend posted:

i use left hand mouse op, despite being right handed. you should try it out.

I'm left-handed but use my right hand on computer

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
the first computer my family had was an Acorn Archimedes which was pretty cool when i was a kid at least. not having a hard disk is bemusing to think about now but it was what i thought of as normal at the time - it just loaded everything into RAM and ran off floppy disks

we also had a bunch of BBC Micros in school, which we mostly used to play educational games and got in trouble for typing swearwords in as player names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a zoomer but my only computer for over 10 years was a 2001 viao lol. it couldn't even run half life 2 on its piece of poo poo SiS chip, despite sony billing it as a 'multimedia powerhouse for video editing'. Probably cuz it had dual memory stick slots, I guess. anyway as you can guess it became rapidly outdated. xp service pack 2 was such a performance hit that i ended up learning how to run Debian (Ubuntu was also too intensive lol). this is why I was so big into RuneScape and later HellMOO and other deep-fried brain poisoning MUDs. it's also where I got my love of fallout 1 and 2 and quake 3 arena.