Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oscarthewilde posted:

also, magic and stuff are okay if they're a way of coping with the powerlessness inherent in the alienated and atomised post-modern way of life, and treating it like that's fine. but actually believing magic is real is completely unreconcilable with leftist political beliefs

marxism isn't the only kind of leftism. maybe you have heard of the immortal science of georgism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What spell can I cast to ensure my daughter never likes nu-metal

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Good soup! posted:

No magic is that powerful.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
flipendo

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
that's the only spell I know

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

you must wear socks and saddles every day for three weeks, as well as ritually play nu-metal through the house and repeat this magical mantra

"wow nu-metal is awesome you want to invite your friends over to listen?"

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Rutibex posted:

marxism isn't the only kind of leftism. maybe you have heard of the immortal science of georgism?

it's quite the accomplishment but georgism is somehow even more of a meaningless and powerless leftwing political ideology than marxism. though i subscribe to marxism as i believe it is uniquely capable of understanding and analysing modern political, economic and phenomenological life, i am also completely realistic about its political or social realisability. as leftists we should be realistic about our political movement and its connection to the rest of society. the last thing we should do is to fall victim to yet more self-delusion

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Rutibex posted:

you must wear socks and saddles every day for three weeks, as well as ritually play nu-metal through the house and repeat this magical mantra

"wow nu-metal is awesome you want to invite your friends over to listen?"

This is why you're the op. You have knowledge beyond.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Good soup! posted:

The ritual of the nü-Parent should work.

On eBay, order multiple Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin park, and Papa Roach shirts/hats/cargo shorts/etc. This is your new ritual uniform, and you will wear it whenever you are around your daughter
Set your phone alarm to "Control" by Puddle of Mudd, and make sure it goes off loud enough that she can hear it each morning, but also make sure you alter the time it goes off each morning by 7-9 minute intervals
Each morning, sing the lyrics to Linkin Park's "One Step Closer", skipping the verses, and simply repeating the chorus over and over, slightly out of rhythm with each other repetition

Within a few weeks, you should notice her becoming annoyed over the breakfast table, thinking you're an embarrassing dork, and going back to listening to nightcore or minecraftstep or lofi hip hop beats to study/relax to or whatever it is kids are into these days to avoid hearing your voice

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oscarthewilde posted:

it's quite the accomplishment but georgism is somehow even more of a meaningless and powerless leftwing political ideology than marxism. though i subscribe to marxism as i believe it is uniquely capable of understanding and analysing modern political, economic and phenomenological life, i am also completely realistic about its political or social realisability. as leftists we should be realistic about our political movement and its connection to the rest of society. the last thing we should do is to fall victim to yet more self-delusion

honestly i think material analysis is the wrong approach to social change, at least at this point. science and the physical world is utterly dominated by capital, material analysis of our situation just leads to hopelessness. but if i come at things from an idealist perspective than there is hope. the material realm is utterly dominated, but that is just one aspect of reality. capital has no power in the realm of consciousness; its a material demon trapped in the material world. i can escape its grasp if i live as if material reality isn't all that exists.

a period of mystic revival could be the solution to our capitalism problem. i mean just look at how christianity hosed up the roman empire

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSUQxGjZZ4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
also to be clear i am not advocating for madness. i genuenly believe that idealism is correct because of numbers. where are numbers? they exist, and they are infinite and they project themselves onto every place in the physical universe. yet they have no physical existence

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Rutibex posted:

honestly i think material analysis is the wrong approach to social change, at least at this point. science and the physical world is utterly dominated by capital, material analysis of our situation just leads to hopelessness. but if i come at things from an idealist perspective than there is hope. the material realm is utterly dominated, but that is just one aspect of reality. capital has no power in the realm of consciousness; its a material demon trapped in the material world. i can escape its grasp if i live as if material reality isn't all that exists.

a period of mystic revival could be the solution to our capitalism problem. i mean just look at how christianity hosed up the roman empire

but you're deluding yourself into fetishising your powerlessness. yes the material realm is dominated, but that need not be the case. understanding the fundamentals of material reality gives one the opportunity of, in their own limited way, enacting change. faced with the depressive capitalist realistic existence shouldn't compel us to flee to some transcendental reality (I am reminded of Curtis' discussion of the left's embrace of utopian promise of cyberspace as an escape from capitalist reality, and the utter powerlessness that followed. if nothing you is actually able to change things, you're just giving capital what it wants!)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Rutibex posted:

honestly i think material analysis is the wrong approach to social change, at least at this point.

please say sike

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

let me take this opportunity to offer a mea culpa to the last cspam witchcraeft thread and the wythches and wyarlocks who posted within. I have spent the last 8 months training my third eye and am now a powerful magick user who can cast many spells. identify item. grease. magic missile. all the classics.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

god drat it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

is it used by anyone who isn't neurotic, white, and middle class at a minimum though. not to mention fundamentally speaking it's all pretty retarded

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:gas:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

sorry op but nothing you have said has convinced me that you arent intensely larry worded

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Talking about magic and astrology really brings out the early 2000s style atheist in some posters, huh

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oscarthewilde posted:

but you're deluding yourself into fetishising your powerlessness. yes the material realm is dominated, but that need not be the case. understanding the fundamentals of material reality gives one the opportunity of, in their own limited way, enacting change. faced with the depressive capitalist realistic existence shouldn't compel us to flee to some transcendental reality (I am reminded of Curtis' discussion of the left's embrace of utopian promise of cyberspace as an escape from capitalist reality, and the utter powerlessness that followed. if nothing you is actually able to change things, you're just giving capital what it wants!)

i'm not saying embrace powerlessness, i'm saying that religious thinking can be a powerful motivator for collective action. just look at the collapse of marxism in the middle east. the people who are motivated to continue fighting imperialism there are not materialists, they embrace islam

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think Rutibex is saying like it or not more humans believe in magic talismans than math and science and maybe magic talismans are a way to convince them to take actions.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
magic isn't real but its cool to think about though

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mcclay posted:

magic isn't real but its cool to think about though

here come the misogynists :rolleyes:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

here come the misogynists :rolleyes:

new cspam rule: no threadshitting

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

move this thread to D&D where denail of coevalness is required, its just always so embarassing to see leftists line up to explain how the majority of peoples living and dead were and are ignorant at worst, hobbyists at best

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Mixing magic and politics is stupid and bad and I'm not sure how you'd even go about it without inviting some malign eye to take an interest in you.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

dialectical materialism hasn't been around for very long so yeah I'd absolutely say the vast majority of mankind has been very to totally ignorant

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Strep Vote posted:

Mixing magic and politics is stupid and bad and I'm not sure how you'd even go about it without inviting some malign eye to take an interest in you.

now, too be fair, the Haitian revoluntiaries did practice Vodoun and did ceremonies before the Haitian Revolution kicked off.

however I am not sure how comfy I am describing Vodoun and most other Afro-Caribbean religions as 'magic', since that has traditionally be used as an excuse used by white authorities to harrass, target and suppress them.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

move this thread to D&D where denail of coevalness is required, its just always so embarassing to see leftists line up to explain how the majority of peoples living and dead were and are ignorant at worst, hobbyists at best

lmao

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Pentagon report on magic is coming out soon

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

i type my posts using the first level mage cantrip prestidigitation, which i can cast unlimited times without needing to rest

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think Rutibex is saying like it or not more humans believe in magic talismans than math and science and maybe magic talismans are a way to convince them to take actions.

additionally math and science must be treated as magic talismans in order to provide motivation. people who loving love science without the moderating influence of practicing it are an embarrassing illustration of this point

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTyknbRZgfE

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mcclay posted:

now, too be fair, the Haitian revoluntiaries did practice Vodoun and did ceremonies before the Haitian Revolution kicked off.

however I am not sure how comfy I am describing Vodoun and most other Afro-Caribbean religions as 'magic', since that has traditionally be used as an excuse used by white authorities to harrass, target and suppress them.

also the Iranian Revolution. but we are all fans of the Shah of Iran here right?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

In closing, we conclude that the Faerie's Cauldron in Tyson's corners has committed immense damage to the US security apparatus, specifically the lieutenant writing this report, and i recommend immediate airstrikes, ideally between 11 and 3 on wednesday

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

:ok:

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
Spirituality is a healing, liberating, and unifying aspect of life and it’s mostly the privileged who can cast it off. That’s why you have a lot of angry male atheists who become reactionaries. A vague syncretic Witchcraft is embraced by many younger women and queer people in America, myself included, as a way of embracing spirituality that isn’t tied to the patriarchal norms of christianity. making GBS threads on that is just stupid cool guy ‘i don’t even care’ posturing.

i pray to the moon, i read tarot cards, i sing hymns, i thank god for my blessings. life is painful and hard and lonely and i don’t reject what comfort the world has offered me because it’s like cringe or something

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

white, middle class, american SA poster wonders why everywhere they look it seems to be only white, middle class, american people doing this woo woo stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

white, middle class, american SA poster wonders why everywhere they look it seems to be only white, middle class, american people doing this woo woo stuff

loves science, has no concept of sampling bias