Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ocean Book posted:

Spirituality is a healing, liberating, and unifying aspect of life and it’s mostly the privileged who can cast it off. That’s why you have a lot of angry male atheists who become reactionaries. A vague syncretic Witchcraft is embraced by many younger women and queer people in America, myself included, as a way of embracing spirituality that isn’t tied to the patriarchal norms of christianity. making GBS threads on that is just stupid cool guy ‘i don’t even care’ posturing.

i pray to the moon, i read tarot cards, i sing hymns, i thank god for my blessings. life is painful and hard and lonely and i don’t reject what comfort the world has offered me because it’s like cringe or something

im glad that stuff makes you happy but lets not sit here and pretend any of this is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
I do think a nice drilldown on the exact borders of magic and religion is necessary, because yeah the people going “oh only white people do magic? What about VOODOO huh” seem like the real racists atm.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

babypolis posted:

im glad that stuff makes you happy but lets not sit here and pretend any of this is real

whats your dog in this fight? why go out of your way? why do you need us to know so badly that you dont believe in things?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

The Saucer Hovers posted:

whats your dog in this fight? why go out of your way? why do you need us to know so badly that you dont believe in things?

he must preserve the integrity of his language-system by defending his magic totems from insult

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Given that the op is a few posts upthread going “yeah it’s not like, REAL real, but you can use it to manipulate rubes who believe in it by pretending it’s real” I’d argue they’re doing you a favor.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Barging in without reading the thread to tell the op to get the gently caress off amazon because anything you buy there will be polluted by the demon Mammon.

perhaps check out https://embassyofthefreemind.com/ to get a portion of their huge library for free (because not everything is digitized)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

dangerburrd posted:

I do think a nice drilldown on the exact borders of magic and religion is necessary, because yeah the people going “oh only white people do magic? What about VOODOO huh” seem like the real racists atm.
Yeah. "This hodge podge of rituals I came up with to distract myself from the pain of existence is on the exact same level as the mainstream religious rituals of other cultures" does not exactly speak to a great level of respect for those cultures.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

because posting is all about sharing your opinions, and my opinion is this is all quite silly. specially when people are making grand proclamations like "non spirituality is only for the priviliged" or "actually wizards are real, how dare you question the wisdom of the ancients"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

dangerburrd posted:

Given that the op is a few posts upthread going “yeah it’s not like, REAL real, but you can use it to manipulate rubes who believe in it by pretending it’s real” I’d argue they’re doing you a favor.

gently caress op and gently caress this thread

as much as i love cspam this is not a topic this forum can handle

:gas:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

white, middle class, american SA poster wonders why everywhere they look it seems to be only white, middle class, american people doing this woo woo stuff

Pretty racist of you to claim only white people do magic, tbh

For example,

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/05/15/latinos-in-the-u-s-have-a-strong-belief-in-the-spirit-world/

https://religiousstudies.yale.edu/news/hidden-histories-islamic-magic

http://eos.kokugakuin.ac.jp/modules/xwords/entry.php?entryID=1216

https://www.learnreligions.com/curanderismo-the-folk-magic-of-mexico-2562500

https://www.ancient-origins.net/history/south-north-africa-continent-ancient-magic-0010732

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

babypolis posted:

because posting is all about sharing your opinions, and my opinion is this is all quite silly. specially when people are making grand proclamations like "non spirituality is only for the priviliged" or "actually wizards are real, how dare you question the wisdom of the ancients"

what about the wisdom of folks currently practicing knowledge what you would characterize as "ancient"? would you post your opinion of them?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

babypolis posted:

this man is a wizard, therefor wizards are real. qed

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what's the main difference between the cspam school of wizarding and hogwatrs? That's what i'm actually interested in

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

SniperWoreConverse posted:

what's the main difference between the cspam school of wizarding and hogwatrs? That's what i'm actually interested in

cspammers poo poo in toilets, hogwardians poo poo in their pants

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dangerburrd posted:

i absolutely didn't say that. i read tarot cards and they work quite well! i think that consciousness create physical reality, not the other way around. so yeah magic is real in the same sense that i think everything someone can think of is real

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
LIBER CDLI (451)
Class B
(The 15th Chapter of Liber CDXIV)
XV
Of Eroto-comatose Lucidity

The Candidate is made ready for the Ordeal by general athletic training, and by feasting. On the appointed day he is attended by one or more chosen and experienced attendants whose duty is (a) to exhaust him sexually by every known means (b) to rouse him sexually by every known means. Every device and artifice of the courtesan is to be employed, and every stimulant known to the physician. Nor should the attendants reck of danger, but hunt down ruthlessly their appointed prey.

Finally the Candidate will into a sleep of utter exhaustion, resembling coma, and it is now that delicacy and skill must be exquisite. Let him be roused from this sleep by stimulation of a definitely and exclusively sexual type. Yet if convenient, music wisely regulated will assist.

The attendants will watch with assiduity for signs of waking; and the moment these occur, all stimulation must cease instantly, and the Candidate be allowed to fall again into sleep; but no sooner has this happened than the former practice is resumed. This alteration is to continue indefinitely until the Candidate is in a state which is neither sleep nor waking, and in which his Spirit, set free by perfect exhaustion of the body, and yet prevented from entering the City of Sleep, communes with the Most High and the Most Holy Lord God of its being, maker of heaven and earth.

The Ordeal terminates by failure---the occurence of sleep invincible--- or by success, in which ultimate waking is followed by a final performance of the sexual act. The Initiate may then be allowed to sleep, or the practice may be renewed and persisted in until death ends all. The most favourable death is that occurring during the orgasm, and is called Mors Justi.

As it is written: Let me die the death of the Righteous, and let my last end be like his!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

oscarthewilde posted:

cspammers poo poo in toilets, hogwardians poo poo in their pants

actually some cspamers poo poo in kitchen sinks

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

gently caress op and gently caress this thread

as much as i love cspam this is not a topic this forum can handle

:gas:

Strangely enough, agreed on all 3 counts

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

the wizards of hogwaters teleport their poo poo away instead of smearing it on the walls

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barging in without reading the thread to tell the op to get the gently caress off amazon because anything you buy there will be polluted by the demon Mammon.

perhaps check out https://embassyofthefreemind.com/ to get a portion of their huge library for free (because not everything is digitized)

sorry i'm just using it as a book reference. i never buy books, but i dont think im allowed to post links to pirated spellbooks

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
I am angry. Angry about magic.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Rutibex posted:

i'm not saying embrace powerlessness, i'm saying that religious thinking can be a powerful motivator for collective action. just look at the collapse of marxism in the middle east. the people who are motivated to continue fighting imperialism there are not materialists, they embrace islam

So is Islam magic

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

mcclay posted:

now, too be fair, the Haitian revoluntiaries did practice Vodoun and did ceremonies before the Haitian Revolution kicked off.

however I am not sure how comfy I am describing Vodoun and most other Afro-Caribbean religions as 'magic', since that has traditionally be used as an excuse used by white authorities to harrass, target and suppress them.

It's very powerful and I would call that some real magic, sincerely interfacing with the unknown and calling for aid... just don't bet your life on it. Magic and religion are conjoined twins in my opinion. Which is why I wouldn't mix the realm of magic and the self with something like politics. Not incompatible, but leads to some fucky outcomes and it's a real quick way to bork up your soul.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Belief in magic removes materialist explanations for people's fate, and thus opens a person's mind up to arguments that are effectively prosperity gospel with crystals/charms/spells instead of Jesus. "Oh, you're not miserable because of the material conditions of your society, it's because you've not [insert magical solution]". Witchcraft and wizardry is an inherently anti-leftist mode of thought, even if some people might manage to deal with the cognitive dissonance rather than just go all-in on the magic and drop ideas of class analysis.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dangerburrd posted:

So is Islam magic

almost every religious tradition has some magic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvyyTkhfNiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydNdmjmBBtg

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Jun 26, 2021

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
every time i smoke DMT i create magic more powerful than any poster can try by posting shibboleths. i walk across the black pyramid and look down onto the physical plane.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
solve post coagula

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Belief in magic removes materialist explanations for people's fate, and thus opens a person's mind up to arguments that are effectively prosperity gospel with crystals/charms/spells instead of Jesus. "Oh, you're not miserable because of the material conditions of your society, it's because you've not [insert magical solution]". Witchcraft and wizardry is an inherently anti-leftist mode of thought, even if some people might manage to deal with the cognitive dissonance rather than just go all-in on the magic and drop ideas of class analysis.

so your dog in this fight is that...more incremental social progress could be made of people only did the types of thought and praxis youre comfortable with? are you really trying to play some kind of big thought daddy here to explain to the children that they cant comprehend systems and institutions of oppression if theyve got all those icky irrational thoughts?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I am a powerful warlock, and I will use my arcane magicks to move the planet a few dozen feet, throwing off all your star charts and invalidating your horoscopes.

I will also alter the spiritual harmonic frequency of all of your crystals. But not the actual harmonics. Just the spiritual harmonics.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Rutibex posted:

sorry i'm just using it as a book reference. i never buy books, but i dont think im allowed to post links to pirated spellbooks

i''m 99% certain most of the books on amazon are out of copyright lovely machine prints or straight up lunatic poo poo.

There's an argument to be made that "oh 'real' spell books are out of print? oh so only some jerkoff from 1699 is the real deal but nothing else is?" at the same time there's a ton of stuff where modern books don't seem to have any relation to any kind of historical practice
  • you can grab a copy of the RH Charles translation of the book of enoch for cheap, which you can download for free anyway, and is not as accurate as more modern translations. This isn't really magic but there's a lot of this category of stuff.
  • you can find maybe 1 or 2 copies of scholarly works about magical systems that are seemingly always in the hundreds of bucks range. There are people who have written up like 500 page doctoral thesises or whatever about what people have actually done irl
  • you can find newage stuff for like 30 bucks and it always seems to have a vibe like it's a scam and whoever's putting this stuff out is actually ripping you off
you can find stuff like I got a copy of this in a secret santa one year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wlix16Erpc&hd=1
The book itself is like 15 pages long and if you wanna know the true power of the god Enki i can post some excerpts. It's not really amazingly funny or anything.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You misunderstand what magic is and this misapprehension affects everything you say about it.

Materialism is a type of magical thinking
Class analysis is a type of magical thinking

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

so your dog in this fight is that...more incremental social progress could be made of people only did the types of thought and praxis youre comfortable with? are you really trying to play some kind of big thought daddy here to explain to the children that they cant comprehend systems and institutions of oppression if theyve got all those icky irrational thoughts?
It is the explicit embracing of irrationality that does it, not the irrationality. The latter is human, the former is anti-leftist.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

A Buttery Pastry posted:

hey dude heres some magic for you: You're wrong.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

alchemists just want to chill, drink elixers, talk to god, and ascend.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this kind of thing is interesting to me anthropologically.

i think there's some kind of connection between the US doing MKULTRA poo poo and the USSR looking at psychotronics and a kind of sideways belief that maybe magic is real after all we better double check. I wonder if the nazis getting a reputation for mystical mumbo jumbo is related or if it's more of the fashy way they tried to impose ideology onto reality.

it's also kinda cool looking in an aesthetic way. At least ye manuscripts are to me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i''m 99% certain most of the books on amazon are out of copyright lovely machine prints or straight up lunatic poo poo.

There's an argument to be made that "oh 'real' spell books are out of print? oh so only some jerkoff from 1699 is the real deal but nothing else is?" at the same time there's a ton of stuff where modern books don't seem to have any relation to any kind of historical practice
  • you can grab a copy of the RH Charles translation of the book of enoch for cheap, which you can download for free anyway, and is not as accurate as more modern translations. This isn't really magic but there's a lot of this category of stuff.
  • you can find maybe 1 or 2 copies of scholarly works about magical systems that are seemingly always in the hundreds of bucks range. There are people who have written up like 500 page doctoral thesises or whatever about what people have actually done irl
  • you can find newage stuff for like 30 bucks and it always seems to have a vibe like it's a scam and whoever's putting this stuff out is actually ripping you off
you can find stuff like I got a copy of this in a secret santa one year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wlix16Erpc&hd=1
The book itself is like 15 pages long and if you wanna know the true power of the god Enki i can post some excerpts. It's not really amazingly funny or anything.

if it doesn't involve jerking off and cumming into a river I don't wanna hear it

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

oh yeah alchemists also just want to be able to transmute the soul into another body to live forever/make god walk amongst us

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bideo James posted:

alchemists just want to chill, drink elixers, talk to god, and ascend.

The elixers are made with mercury, which definitely facilitates the latter two goals

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Nix Panicus posted:

The elixers are made with mercury, which definitely facilitates the latter two goals

hey dude those vapours arent gonna inhale themselves, mix those two things together and breath in ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It is the explicit embracing of irrationality that does it, not the irrationality. The latter is human, the former is anti-leftist.

good to know youve got the inside track on what qualifies as rational. with a grounding that strong one could conceivably found a kind of immortal science.

why would someone who disbelieves in the paranormal be trying so hard to please the ghost of marx