Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This match was great, as was the whole night. I saw JD Drake body slam Mei Suruga so hard I thought the ring broke. DPW rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Definitely. I've only been to three shows but my first was back in March at the Armory, and the setup was much more spartan - 3 rows of chairs each side, maybe 4 or 5 on the hard cam side, and no screens or projector wall. The setup last night was subtly but noticeably improved and also, tellingly, laid out to accommodate many more people - though as you can see in that second picture, the third and kind of fourth rows left of camera side had to be hastily added minutes before the bell rang.

When I noticed somebody walking on the stage by the projector wall early last night, I knew the action was going to spill out there eventually. Was glad to see Best Bros taking advantage of it for some classic Chocopro wallrunning maneuvers.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dawgstar posted:

The cult favorite cartoon Freakazoid the main character explicitly tells somebody to always take a piece of the gross, never the net. The net is fantasy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc

Handily clipped on Youtube

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Another great Deadlock show tonight, not a bum match on the card. Chris Danger's mystery opponent turned out to be Shawn Spears; Danger wound up with a pretty gnarly looking forearm wound after a table spot.

After the main event Jay Malachi confirmed that he had signed with WWE before the bigger reveal that he wouldn't be back for the December 10th event - this had been his final DPW show, and he relinquished the title effective immediately. Afterwards all the talent came out to the ring and fans invited to cross the barriers and swarm ringside for a photo. It was a great send-off (Lucky Ali came out for one too but he stayed in character and said farewell to the fans with "I'll probably see y'all in six months...everywhere I go people, get sick of me, so I'm counting on it happening again.")

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

The show is tonight and they normally go up on VOD a week later. This card legit looks great. Workhorsemen vs MCMG should be amazing:

https://twitter.com/deadlockpro/status/1733840388211835372

The show was a banger, unsurprisingly. All the title matches ruled, and the Westbrook/Everett match got wild and was an awesome way to put a bow on that feud.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

inconsequential posted:

It s a fun atmosphere, an astounding amount of f-bombs dropped despite tons of kids, but it is very cool to see a thriving small-time wrestling promotion.

At the Saturday night Deadlock show last week, the dad in front of me was encouraging his kid (maybe kindergarten age) to chant cusses. Kinda weird, but I'm not a parent and hey, if you're going to do it, that's the place.

Also this Bobby Hill-looking kid sitting right by the ramp was screeching "gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" at every heel all night,` but especially at Alec Price and Adam Priest. They deserved it - perfectly detestable - but it was cracking me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Choom Gangster posted:

it's funny that you say this, because i went to their doubleshot in north carolina a few weeks ago and it was exceptionally mid. the roster is pretty good, but barring the two recent nxt departures, you can see all of that talent elsewhere in front of a less perpetually online crowd (they chant memes ffs) and in probably better matchups. feels very much the same to me as wrestling revolver or any other tna-lite indie

I've gone to every DPW show in Raleigh/Durham in the last year and the only one that I was cool on was the Saturday night show of the doubleshot, which was still "fine." (Oh yeah, and No Pressure last May, because that's where I finally caught COVID.) Had a blast with the Sunday show, though.

I like the crowd atmosphere overall, the occasional meme chant is a fine trade-off if it means people are staying active and invested the whole show. Only one regular chant annoys me, which is doing the LA Knight "Yeah" when the ref is counting, but I hate that one a lot.

Choom Gangster posted:

also, don't bother getting good seats, they don't reserve them and it's just a free for all

This is true, though it's been kind of venue/show dependent. They've had staff checking wristbands and directing people to their "assigned" seats at more recent Armory and Convention Center shows, which didn't happen at all at either of the fairground shows. Plus that was compounded by everybody cramming into the building's tiny lobby well before the box office opened to get out of the cold, which created a real cluster when they did start ticketing and there were no distinct lines (or room to start them.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 18, 2024