Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If anyone wants to solve the problem with JR occasionally misspeaking, I would suggest going back in time and watching the past 15 years of Marv Albert and Dick Stockton commentary. I promise you won't bat an eye at stuff like "WWE Dynamite"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I wonder if they do MJF beating Jericho with some big stipulation (I wanna say career, but I don't think Jericho is ready to go out yet), and then Sammy getting a clean PPV win over MJF down the line as vengeance to officially end the feud

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

smarxist posted:

*sees women div talk*

Postin' like it's Tuesday but it's really only Thursday!

Just getting reps in so we're ready for the launch of Rampage. Once AEW programming is on four nights a week we're gonna really have to elevate the discourse game

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
AEW is fortunate that, by default, everyone who signed when the company was formed are people who didn't sign with WWE when the company was in peak talent-hoarding, competition-crushing mode, and those reasons for not being signed mostly haven't gone away since 2019.

Guys like Darby and Jungle Boy have talked about how, even if WWE was interested, they know they'd be booked like poo poo for being small. Every tag team would be in an afterthought of a division. Britt wants the freedom to run a dental practice. MJF would be scripted. Most of the WWE refugees wanted out in pursuit of creative fulfillment, and a handful of people who never signed have a chip on their shoulder about their experience with the company anyway (Kingston, Wardlow, Bowens, Starks, Hobbs). Sammy has the size thing and also...an unfortunate history involving one of the top names in WWE.

Obviously having a higher profile — and getting paid accordingly — could change the dynamics and lure one of those people away. But there's really not a ton of people who I would immediately say "Oh, yeah, they seem like a good match with WWE from both sides' perspectives." Eyeballing the men's roster, the people who caught my attention were Hangman, Cage, Jericho, Hager, Archer, and Scorpio Sky. (And even among that group, a quick google turns up Jericho saying he won't ever go back, Hangman saying signing with WWE didn't feel right in 2019 and Cage/Hager/Archer saying negative things about their WWE experience. Plus Tony would absolutely ask for an advance on his inheritance if there was any risk of Hangman signing elsewhere.)

The women's division is more ripe for the picking, and it's probably the place where WWE is the most alluring alternative in terms of at least having big names to work with. They're not really "big names" anymore, but I could see someone like Swole or Penelope moving over because they've kinda been lost in the shuffle, although the Swole household might not have the most positive experience with WWE as an employer. Maybe they back up the truck to poach Anna Jay or Jade, although Jade had a WWE tryout and didn't end up there for whatever reason.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would assume the powers that be are still relatively high on Private Party and just know that, given the depth of the division, they can get away with keeping a young team in a holding pattern for the foreseeable future. They've got an easy-made insta-push whenever you want; just turn face, kick Matt Hardy's rear end and go back to doing cool moves.

The only real impediment I see to Private Party's success is if the company is now more into Top Flight as The Young, Dynamic Team With A Connection To The Young Bucks, but por que no los dos

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MJeff posted:

I hope the negative response to it has given AEW a bit of a lesson about how much they're overdoing this stuff.

Busting out a brave take: It's time for AEW to have a DQ finish on Dynamite.

(I actually don't care about the way they've been doing interference stuff, or rules in general, but I can see how inundating the viewer with it would numb people to the experience. Right now, as a viewer I'm personally like "of course people are gonna run in, they want to help their friends," so if you want to suddenly tone it down then you need to give a reason why things have changed. The legitimate fear of losing a match could do the trick, and I don't think has to be a lame wet fart finish, especially if the cheating heel treats it like a big deal that they've lost.)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pylons posted:

Cody could re-involve himself in The Elite but stick to his stip of not challenging for the World title.

It would probably be Too Much to have all of the EVPs as a cheating top heel faction, but recently I was thinking about how an unexpected Cody turn to reunite with Kenny and the Bucks could be a good final galvanizing moment to set up the final act and downfall of The Elite. Have the squad of babyfaces think all their bases are covered for a big match where they eliminate all the interference threats only for Cody to pop up and twist the knife, let Hangman truly stand alone as the only righteous force among the group that founded the company

Although maybe subconsciously I was just fantasizing about ways for Cody to become part of the rest of the TV show again

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I still think there's plenty of juice left in Kenny's title run; starting the fall of the Elite with the Bucks losing the titles rather than Kenny is probably best from a storytelling perspective, and you can heat Hangman back up pretty quickly even if he falls short in the first title match (with the Eliminator Tournament as an obvious shortcut to a rematch post-All Out)

That being said, I also generally tend to side with the "just pull the trigger already" crowd. AEW is already rolling with four heel champs and a ton of interference at the top of the card, so having Hangman lose could be deflating in an annoying way rather than something that keeps the viewer invested.

There is a way to have Hangman lose at All Out without sending the fans home disappointed: Simply have Bryan Danielson debut post-match

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Weirdly enough, Garrison is in the Elite GM demo and Pillman was not. The roster page isn’t the be all and end all, but I don’t think a lot of Dark faves are going on the road unfortunately.

Varsity Blondes are only unsigned on a technicality because of Pillman's MLW contract which is expiring soon, so it makes sense they could add Griff but not him

The Wingmen getting dropped when AEW goes on the road would surprise me. They've gotten way more TV time than other pandemic faves (Kilynn/Fuego/etc)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Codependent Poster posted:

Putting off his big win doesn't do him any good and would just lead to three more months of both Kenny and Page spinning their wheels and not advancing anything.

If you put off his big win, it's because you have a plan in mind that doesn't involve three months of wheel-spinning for Kenny and Page. It's not something you do because more dragged out = better.

Hangman losing and realizing he's at peace with failure, or drawing and realizing that he doesn't need to win to succeed, is a completely valid beat that adds another dimension to the story. You can have Omega going from confident and dismissive of Hangman in the build to the first match to scared and paranoid before the second. Maybe have him and the Bucks be at odds with one another if they lose the tag team belts or fail to adequately interfere in a match on his behalf, which lets you more easily do a straight-up match for Kenny-Hangman II. Or maybe you just want to do a little more with this Kenny title run, squeeze in a program with people like Darby or Dustin or Tommy End before he gives up the belt.

I'm not saying any of these are necessarily better options than just pulling the trigger, but there are stories to tell no matter which direction you go in. This is the company's most foundational arc, so whatever decision they make, I'll assume it's been well considered until I have reason to believe otherwise

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
They've made matches for PPVs and had lower-profile title shots in the interim period; I don't see why you couldn't do the same here. Promoter wants the money match on the paid show!

I also think "You wouldn't get a big pop for Hangman beating Kenny just yet" is one of the most bonkers opinions I've seen in this thread

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MassRafTer posted:

Because he's the #1 contender and they just did an angle for it after teasing the angle for weeks! It's really bad booking to do another challenger when you have your top contender doing angles with the champion. Don't book the angles if you are going to have a lower ranked challenger first.

They set Jericho/Cody for Full Gear two months in advance and still tossed a Darby match in there. If you wanted to give more justification than "big match go on PPV," you could have Hangman waffle for a week or two while Christian or whoever signs a contract for an obligated title defense, but there have been plenty of non-No. 1 contenders who have gotten title shots and plenty of No. 1 contenders who haven't. The rankings are super pliable

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MassRafTer posted:

That Darby challenge seemed very random at the time and the MJF build was not beloved so neither was really that great. This is the big title match for AEW. There's ways they can do this and work. They can have Omega brutally injure Hangman, they can play off that Omega is afraid of Hangman and challenge someone else while acting like he's being a good buddy to Hangman, or they can have Hangman lose a match.

Or they can throw in a random match in the middle. I just don't see the reason to do it now unless you are doing the match soon.

I think we're more or less on the same page, actually. It definitely would be weird to do a match on the scale of Darby-Kenny before getting to Hangman. The only thing I was imagining happening before Hangman is a short build to a more minor title defense (Christian? OC solo rematch?) at Fyter Fest, and "Playing off that Omega is afraid of Hangman by having him pretend to be friendly or challenge someone else" is one of the ways I could imagine them getting there.

They could also put Hangman through an ~official~ No. 1 Contender Match to justify him not getting a title shot until after Fyter Fest, which is something they used to stretch out the foregone conclusion Moxley-Jericho story a lil bit

(I would also be fine if Omega just didn't defend the belt before All Out!)

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
No matter what the circumstances, I agree with the notion that PAC should be the next champion on account of him owning.

If not him, I think it would be cool if a guy like Andrade could effectively be heated up quickly to take the title from Hangman, because then it would feel less like the AEW Championship lineage was on rails

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Diamante's arcs on Dark/Elevation made me wonder if they were testing her as a potential midcard fixture for when Rampage launches because she got multiple promos; I would be interested in seeing her come back in that capacity even if I don't think her ringwork makes her a must-sign. Plus she does the cool gun thing

In general I hope going back on the road and getting an extra hour of TV time lest the company build up more stories outside of the title picture and faction warfare. People focus on the women's division but the amount of attention the tag teams get can wax and wane too, especially when the Bucks were more embroiled in Kenny-centric stories. And I assume the reason a bunch of solo men have been shuffled into tag teams or bigger groups is because you're seldom going to have time to make, say, a Scorpio Sky solo match on TV

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah FTR/PNP is basically the platonic ideal of a non-championship feud and I would hope AEW could pull it off a lot more in the upper midcard.

Obviously it helps to have the Pinnacle/Inner Circle backdrop to heighten the intensity, but at its core you've got two really good tag teams who are fighting for a chance to move up the card. Right now you could pick two names from Shida/Deeb/Tay/Statlander/Riho/Thunder Rosa/etc. and set em up to feud over being next in line after Nyla

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
For everyone who thinks the women's division has been improving: Vickie Guerrero hasn't been on Dynamite in 6 days. Let that sink in.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Majinfoose posted:

Any goons going tonight?

I was gonna drive down for the night but my work suddenly decided to make us come into the office today and tomorrow, so if there's any cool debuts I'm going to sue them for a labor violation

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Ivelisse-Thunder Rosa was dope because the no-selling happened in PIP and they were really laying it in for other stretches. Got a solid match, funny clips and months of delusional Ivelisse content. What's not to like

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

rantmo posted:

In the middle of the match as I recall it, and that was only part of it. Hager is just a terrible loving wrestler and Dustin couldn't carry him to anything close to a decent match. Plus it was Hager's in-ring debut so there was all this build up for a dude who wasn't able to even present as having a basic degree of competence much less actual skill.

It was also kind of an "ugh, this really made the PPV?" match to begin with, and then they made it the opener for some inexplicable reason. Total whiff all around

You can still commemorate that iconic feud with this beautiful shirt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I forgot that was the same match as the awful Brandi commentary, so the viewing experience started at "Jesus Christ why is this happening during a title match" and then somehow got way worse