Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We've entered the twilight zone where "the ocean is on fire" is a sentence that you can write out and follow the logic of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Chernobyl, Mayak, the Soviet whaling fleet, the Siberian oil field, that sea that isn’t there anymore…

The soviets didn’t do clean.

RBMK reactors are less power plants and more engineering nightmares that sometimes generate electricity. I don't think a single class of reactor has ever had quite as many radiation release incidents as the RBMKs have.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Plain toast is in the stomach-feeling-awful food group.

Oh yeah, plain toast is manna from heaven after 24+ hours of living on the couch so you can be close to a bathroom.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Already gone, or is that just me?

Already gone.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

They also ought to have an "open" class where you can juice or wear whatever.

Bring back juice era MLB as a separate league where it's just like a handful of teams of giant veiny dudes roided out to the gills smashing baseballs out to a distance of a quarter mile.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, I feel bad when trans people are abused in such ways, especially because like, a solid third of my core group of friends are trans and have experienced such hatred before.

Regardless of gender identity and hardships they've experienced due to it though, Republicans can gently caress off into a superdeep borehole forever. Especially because their ultraconservative nonsense is partially responsible for the widespread abuse of minorities of all sorts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Caitlyn Jenner deserves to be shunned forever, but not because of her gender identity.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

At one point they were working on a reversible injected vasectomy but I think it never left the trials stage. I’d get one if I were in a relationship and if it were an option.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Sounds like a bad time.

:stonkhat:

quote:

Also just lol if you need contraception instead of living in a constant state of anxiety.

Can’t argue with that. Everyone is always like “you’ll eventually meet someone and settle down” and I’m just thinking “yeah you tell me how to do that and I’ll do my best to not gently caress it up because I’m as socially astute as I am rich”.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm in favour of adopting instead, personally. I think if I do end up somehow finding someone who likes me for the anxious tech weirdo that I am and we want to start a family I'll seriously propose adoption instead.

There are a lot of unwanted kids out there already who are just going to end up in the system where they'll bounce around from house to house and foster family to foster family, and/or poverty and homelessness or group homes. I would rather potentially save an already living and abandoned child from a short life of strife and abuse culminating in an overdose on East Hastings than bring a new child into the world because of biological imperatives to further my genetic line.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's (not) coming home

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah I'm thoroughly anti-Elon but SpaceX has managed to crank out more advancements in space exploration technology in the past 10 years than the traditional MIC-associated space contractors have in 40.

At some point they're probably going to get approval to start firing up nuclear reactors for NTRs and things are going to get actually exciting. Meanwhile Boeing will still be trying to figure out how to get a cargo drone to not have a one in four chance of randomly exploding and Lock-Mart will be too busy fleecing every penny they can out of the DoD for the F-42 to care about space travel.

It turns out when your space stuff is being done by an entity that doesn't make way more money off the US's enormous military budget, they have some incentive to give a bit of a gently caress.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That Works posted:

Largely agree with this except it ignores all of non human exploration stuff since Voyager 2. NASA has had a shitload of exploration stuff going on that is wildly successful. All the human spaceflight related crap is where they are terrible.

Yeah, that's fair, non-crewed exploration marches on quite well. I definitely cannot see a timeline in which SpaceX decides to start cranking out ultra-high-resolution space telescopes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Even The Expanse is very forgiving of the mechanics of spaceflight. It’s always the human factors that do them in.

Yeah, The Expanse has magic hyper efficient fusion drives that can burn at 0.3G for months at a time with a remass tank that’s only half the mass of the ship. In reality, the mass flow of the NERVA solid-core nuclear thermal rocket was 8.5 kg/s at full throttle and it never actually flew because people got scared of putting fission cores in space.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s not just that. It stuff like “with the power of friendship, we fixed up some rich rear end in a top hat’s abandoned yacht in a apocalyptic hellscape and flew it to safety”.

If not for plot armor, everyone would be dead a dozen times over from life support failure, and that’s not even counting combat.

Yeah, Belter ships definitely have the most realistic tech levels. It’s a miraculous day when something doesn’t poo poo the bed, the food is crap and mostly made of algae and yeast, and everyone fucks all the time because there’s nothing else to do.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Monopropellants are cool! They’re basically any substance that is both a fuel and its own oxidizer that deflagrates violently enough to generate thrust. Technically gunpowder isn’t usually described as a monopropellant because it’s not a liquid fuel but functionally it’s akin to one. Most spacecraft monopropellants don’t use flame or heat or shock as a catalyst though because it’s hard to do bursts of thrust like that. You can’t stop a cartridge from going off after half the propellant burns.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

They're hosed. They're probably a british citizen which means the government is going to be out to gently caress them up.

They're a servicemember too. They're going to Forever Gaol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

War Thunder relatively accurately models armour thickness, penetration, and shell deflection, so it technically does have potential ramifications for gameplay... assuming one of your tank shells actually *hits* that gap.

This is a really small gap to hit at a really bizarre angle though -- you'd need to land a shell in the turret joint, straight on, basically skimming the surface of the tank body. It's been a while since I've played War Thunder but realistically this dude just got himself a significant prison sentence because of one slightly inaccurate tank explosion out of thousands and thousands of games he's played.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Between the forests of the PNW being on fire like, 80% of the year now, the constant tariff increases over the past five years, and the absurd number of home renos people started doing during the pandemic, I have no idea when we're actually going to see lumber prices go down again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

By many accounts the least lovely large game company to work for in 2021 is, incredibly surprisingly, EA. They have some predatory business practices but they're also apparently quite inclusive -- a former manager of mine is now a creative development director for them and has been for a couple years, and one of her core responsibilities is ensuring people in her division feel included, welcomed, and safe. She was the kind of boss who was all about making sure that really happens (and she and I talked a couple times about how she wished she could do more for the culture at the company we were both at), so I'm willing to believe that's really the case there.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

devmd01 posted:

Yuuuup. My buddy’s dealer years ago got a warning from chase about too many $40/$80/$etc deposits from Venmo on a regular basis and suggested that he knock it off. They’re watching.

People seem to think that venmo is some kind of magic secure transaction system but it's just a convenient third-party commerical frontend for regular interbank transfers. Your bank is still always aware of what's going into your account.

Part of the reason things like it and cashapp don't exist in Canada is because we actually *have* a functioning, easy to use, national interbank network with online and phone-based transfers that are subject to banking regulations, so we don't need some financial corporation to make it easy. It already is. My previous landlord returned my damage deposit by an Interac e-transfer when I moved out. It just showed up in my chequing account, and all she needed to do was use my phone number as the recipient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mac and cheese with cut up hot dogs, man. I still love kraft mac, 90¢ blue box style.

National comfort food of Canada right there.