Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Defenestrategy posted:

Personally would have waited to post vulns for a few months just to let people post things to hang themselves.

Yeah seems like this would have been much cooler if it came out once the platform had some actual users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do officers generally marry strippers or is that more an enlisted thing

Definitely an enlisted thing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I like sports and the Olympics are a blast to watch. I do think that the experience could be improved by throwing a completely average Joe or Jane into the competitions so we’d have a better idea of how great Olympians are at their chosen sport.

Just like snag someone from off the street and ask if they wanna swim 200 meters or whatever. That way everyone at home can stop pretending they’d have any chance of coming close to what the worst actual competitor does.

Also I stole this idea from other people on the internet so this isn’t an original thought of mine.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

McNally posted:

Wouldn't throwing in a rando off the street make the people who think they'd do as well as the worst competitor correct?

The rando isn’t really “competing” though. Like he or she has no chance of winning. Maybe spectators can pretend they’d fare better if they got pulled off the street but it’d serve to illustrate how much better even the objectively “bad” athletes are than us.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t know how to spell either word and went with the one autocorrect gave me

This made the last two pages of doom and gloom worth sifting through. I can't spell for poo poo either.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What the hell is a Guardian? They should have gone with Cleveland Commodores or Cleveland Burning Rivers or something.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Defenestrategy posted:

Space marines was right there.

Space marines would need to be their own special branch under the Dept of the Space Force.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lucky’s Cafe in Cleveland is good.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem is they don’t use meaningful amounts of chili powder because Ohio is the Midwest and black pepper is too spicy

A Skyline Five Way is:
Spaghetti
Chili
Beans
Onions
Cheddar Cheese

And is one of the few good things to come out of my home state.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

FrozenVent posted:

In some cases yes, but nowadays it’s mostly a database type deal. I like to think it’s one big excel spreadsheet.

It’s entirely possible for, say, Royal Bank of Canada to borrow a billion from the Bank of Canada, sell that billion CAD for 800 million USD to the Royal Bank of Scotland who loans it to Lloyd’s Bank to disburse as a loan to ABC Constructions to buy a parcel of land from XYZ Holdings without a single paper dollar moving.

This happens inside of a few hours, at most, and could be automated in theory.

My one semester of macro economics taught me that the federal reserve controls the rate of inflation in the US by adjusting how much physical currency banks are required to keep on hand. If inflation ticks up at an increasing rate, the fed can increase the percentage of total deposits that must be cash.

That is supposed to slow the generation of new money since there is far less actual printed currency than there are 1s and 0s floating around saying they are money.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

RFC2324 posted:

I think what they are saying is that the bank has to keep X% of its account value(usually calculated at EOB) in physical cash, partly to prevent runs on the banks causing a banking collapse.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/requiredreserves.asp

Apparently it was set to 0% in March 2020 :thunk:

Yeah it’s this. I am stupid as hell about the subject and phone posting but the idea is that banks create massive multiples of money through lending and borrowing that gets really complicated.

So if I borrow 10,000 dollars from the bank, it’s highly likely that the money is getting deposited into another bank somewhere. Unless there is SOME percentage of money that banks must keep on hand, that bank can in turn lend all of that money out, where it gets deposited somewhere else and lent out over and over infinitely.

So that 10k in actual money turns into millions of dollars in electronic currency that is lent over and over and over.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah but the bank’s reserve not in a vault. It’s in an account somewhere.

It is though. Unless my adult night school public university degree lied to me, that money is kept on hand or at the nearest federal reserve vault.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Bored As gently caress posted:

Someone buy it then release it for free.

I’d be down for a new Wu Tang album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

RFC2324 posted:

my friend, now we have electroswing, and its so much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2uHgIqc5jo

If that's the better version, I'd hate to see the original. Thought I was going to have seizure watching that video.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 1, 2021