Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

The cynic in me is wondering what fresh hell awaits now this monkey paw curled another finger.

College sports being even more in your face which sucks if you're not a fan, and higher ticket/merch prices which sucks if you are. Gotta get that money back.

Hopefully injuries go down, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/towersight/status/1411935986817306625?s=20

Man, I can see places I stood and worked in this video and it gets me. But its good we're gone.

Apparently we left in the middle of the night, without notifying the Afghan military. Like...at all. We turned the power off and left their guards in the dark to deal with looters who saw the lights go out (and probably knew the schedule). The new base commander found out several hours after we left.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Tucker is trying to paint himself the victim of the deep state.

The entire network exists on the premise that they don't have to tell the truth.

I bet the Russians told him they'd get back to him about the interview but oh by the way the NSA is spying on you bro.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So we didn't tell anyone when we left, but we'll broadcast this. :sigh:

I haven't actually given a poo poo about anything specific in the Olympics since the original Dream Team. I was permanently put off from the whole thing by all the bullshit when they came to SLC in 2002.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 8, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

US Berder Patrol posted:

Are personal loans a popular product? I can't think of anyone I knew who ever just got a straight up loan, not home equity or auto or whatever from a bank.

I had one a few years ago, but it was through a credit union not loving Wells Fargo. It was a significant help in getting my finances unfucked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2tUW0HDHA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

Exactly we should be doing this on a national scale with NASA.

Let's swing some aerospace dicks at Russia and China

NASA would be paying them to do it.

Hell, they kind of are...NASA has been paying VG to carry some of their equipment/tests on these flights.

FrozenVent posted:

…because the government completely defunded NASA and forced them to use ULA and SpaceX?

This didn't even happen. NASA's biggest budget cut in the past couple decades came when Obama killed off Bush's big plans. One of Trump's few good things was that NASA's budget increased every year of his administration, and is the highest it's been since the mid 90s.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 12, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

She doesn't want them to intentionally put on a circus for the broader audience.

Edit: A totally valid correction.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 13, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Indications I'm seeing are that there won't be a 2009 repeat. The 0 down, interest only loans aren't available, lending standards are pretty decent and people are putting a large amount of cash down. I think there's also a good chunk of institutional money going in aside from private citizens. Theres a large amount of liquidity looking for a return and real estate is red hot.

My current wonder is if the private buyers are pulling together every cent to get something RIGHT NOW cause if they don't, it will be out of reach tomorrow. If that's the case, if/when prices hit the ceiling where wages can't stretch to continue price increases I think they will just be stuck in their home for a long period.

I know several people who are holding out because "this will eventually correct itself."

In just over 2 years, my house's zillow value is up 30%. I'd normally take that with a huge grain of salt, but it's probably about right.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It won't and it's not like these fucks give a poo poo about kids anyway

Heard a great statement a few days ago...something like "If you believed Hillary was running a child sex ring out of a pizza parlor, even if I convince you that wasn't true you're still not a person who'd vote for her."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 15, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wikipedia says Army staff sgt.

I was guessing some kind of SNCO, no officer who actually thought that was a good idea for the VA would actually want to gently caress peers out of actual moneymaking opportunities.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

About that "tragic suicide of an employee whose passing has no bearing on this case whatsoever..."

https://twitter.com/LukeShooty/status/1418025612887867400?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The league wants a team there, and in Mexico. They lose money on each individual game (at least in London, I don't know about Mexico City), but the tv ratings are really good and improving almost every year. Merch sales climb too, particularly for the Jaguars who are sort of like a home team since they're over there every year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/1418571887089754114?s=19

Or just double-up on the awful and call them the Cleveland Ohios.

loving EXCELLENT.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sincerely doubting this.

Ohio is noticeably better than Kansas.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MonkeyWash posted:

I grew up in Kansas, my wife is from Ohio. She likes it in Kansas more than I do. Her hometown is god awful though, East Liverpool. It's in the far SE corner of Ohio, where the sewage settles between West Virginia and Pennsylvania. An eddy of poo poo, a confluence of despair.

I wonder if the HAYS HAS JOBS billboard is still up on the 135. It's gotta be.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So the stupid are going to get stupider, and literally infect other people to also get stupider.

I did not have this on my bingo card, but in hindsight it seems obvious.

Edit: That vaccine explanation dude fuckin rules.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 26, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Uh…. They do? It’s like the whole purpose of the armored truck industry.

I knew you'd beat me to this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Cash is a tiny, tiny proportion of interbank transactions. Like vanishingly small.

It’s all wires nowadays, and those are done over the internet. There’s still some amount of manual work involved, because when you’re moving a billion dollars, you really want to take the time there’s no typos.

About 1/4 of the M2 dollars are in physical form. Of that, 1/2 - 2/3 are held overseas. You're not wrong that most of this is happening digitally, but there is a massive industry of moving physical cash from place to place, including from bank to bank. I was on the Federal Reserve route for my company, which managed the central vault for almost every bank in the state and several outside it. It's a fraction of what's out there digitally, but it's a lot of loving cash money.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Realized this afternoon that my leftover painkillers are almost gone, so there's a half decent chance I'll actually have to seek medical attention this year. Hopefully I can stretch it until 2022, then crush my deductible for the year early on. Kidney stones are the worst loving thing.

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah but the bank’s reserve not in a vault. It’s in an account somewhere.

It's both.

PookBear posted:

Holy gently caress yall are really getting hung up around the physical money thing. "Reserve requirements are the amount of cash that banks must have, in their vaults or at the closest Federal Reserve bank, in line with deposits made by their customers."

So what this means is that if banks are required to keep 10% in reserve, then 10% is stored as actual currency, while the other 90% is loaned out and 'stored' as a debt.

What it means is that 10% is stored as actual currency, PLUS their standard cashflow for dealing with customers. Which, at a mid size branch in a relatively small metropolitan area, can be hundreds of thousands to a couple million every day or two.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 27, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Eason the Fifth posted:

If you're a contractor and you didn't use covid to duck out of the client site and WFH forever then :lol:

We got brought back to the office last month :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well that page was a fun hate parade.