Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I was at a wedding last weekend, and a family friend runs up to me and says "Just the man I wanted to talk to" and I just about rolled my eyes expecting the typical computer question - but he proceeds to pull out his phone and show me some pictures of his 1948 Packard - very nice I say, but then he lets me know he's trying to get rid of it, and as much as I've always wanted a post-war land barge (seriously I almost pulled the trigger on a 50's Buick super 8, but it was far beyond my budget, space, and abilities at the time), I said I just picked up a 4th car (this is the 3rd car I've acquired this month) and I'm not looking to buy something, no matter how compelling. However he said, get it towed and it's yours.

Naturally I cannot turn down a free car, and one that was exactly what I was looking for many years ago (column shift manual, straight 8, art deco post war), I said gently caress it, and called up a tow truck and well, here we are!

It's a 1948 Packard Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan, 288ci Straight 8 and a 3 on the tree manual -

According to the packardinfo.com decoder:

The PO claims it runs but just needs a brake master cylinder - he also said the key was under the carpet but I still can't find it. Overall it's in fair condition - the interior was definitely nicely reupholstered at some point, but it will need a lot of work, possibly years worth to get it showroom fresh. This will be by far the oldest car I've ever worked on, or even driven, but I've always wanted to try and see how these old things work. Everything feels so solid, Knobfeel guy would have a field day with this thing.

I'll post updates whenever I can, but this is also my 5th car, so it will not be done super quickly, but I plan to get it at least roadworthy before the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
How's the rust situation with it? It looks to be in pretty decent condition but free kinda makes me wonder if soemthing is lurking?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Yes.

A thousand times yes.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Free is a good price for this fancy pants car.

What does it smell like inside?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I guess you got the stripper trim, judging by all those blanks where the radar cruise control buttons should be :rolleyes:

Seriously thiugh, beautiful car. That houndstooth upholstery is :discourse:

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 2, 2021

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Oh my god, yes! AI needs more straight 8s.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Here for the 8.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I may need to talk to astral, I can't vote this thread an 8.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Flathead straight eight with a three on the tree? I do so love Packards.

What, uh, other cars did you buy recently?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Holy poo poo that upholstery

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Uh hell yes

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How's the rust situation with it? It looks to be in pretty decent condition but free kinda makes me wonder if soemthing is lurking?

Theres definitely a little underbody rocker rust but overall looks ok - much better than the 07 ridgeline I just picked up (and failed inspection today for rocker rust :smith: )The frame itself seems totally solid. Ill have to get it up on jack stands and do a full assessment shortly.

Smells very old and musty, I threw in a few damp rid bags and I'm going to strip out and replace or just deep clean the carpet asap since its a little damp and mildewy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Voltage posted:

Theres definitely a little underbody rocker rust but overall looks ok - much better than the 07 ridgeline I just picked up (and failed inspection today for rocker rust :smith: )The frame itself seems totally solid. Ill have to get it up on jack stands and do a full assessment shortly.

Smells very old and musty, I threw in a few damp rid bags and I'm going to strip out and replace or just deep clean the carpet asap since its a little damp and mildewy.

For 73 years old that car is in remarkable shape then. I'd guess it has been restored before in the past because not much actually looks that old and drat you scored big time. It'll look great with minor work

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Holy poo poo that upholstery

This, a thousand times this.

Also: That Chrome

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That car is just nice enough that I would do only what's needed to make it run / drive / stop safely and not a bit more. That's the perfect balance of "clean enough to be proud of" mixed with "not so spotless that you'll notice the faintest hint of a new scratch from driving into a speck of pollen at speed".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tuna posted:

Free is a good price for this fancy pants car.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That car is just nice enough that I would do only what's needed to make it run / drive / stop safely and not a bit more. That's the perfect balance of "clean enough to be proud of" mixed with "not so spotless that you'll notice the faintest hint of a new scratch from driving into a speck of pollen at speed".

I'd argue for this as well. "Nice driver."
Showroom fresh would make me afraid to drive it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I think the full frame-off restoration will happen a few years down the line, for now I just plan on cleaning it up really well and getting it on the road. Tomorrow's task is to pull out the carpets and clean off all of the dust and debris, then start evaluating what parts i'll need to get the engine fired up.

I wish I had some records, but is it safe to assume this will run on modern gas (since it's been restored previously) or should I play it safe and buy some leaded additive?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Voltage posted:

I think the full frame-off restoration will happen a few years down the line, for now I just plan on cleaning it up really well and getting it on the road. Tomorrow's task is to pull out the carpets and clean off all of the dust and debris, then start evaluating what parts i'll need to get the engine fired up.

I wish I had some records, but is it safe to assume this will run on modern gas (since it's been restored previously) or should I play it safe and buy some leaded additive?

It's probably got zinc parts in the carburetor and other parts of the fuel system, so avoid ethanol at least. I've read mixed reviews on lead additives on whether they're actually helpful or not.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s now been fully 25 years since it was legal to sell leaded fuel for use in a street driven vehicle, and a lot longer since it was widely available. Unless it hasn’t run since the mid eighties, it’s probably gonna be fine on unleaded.

Plus one on avoiding ethanol though. There’s a SOLID chance that the fuel system and carb aren’t ready for corngas.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Quick update with a big photo dump -

I pumped up the tires and vacuumed the interior, I still can't find the key, however I was able to pick the ignition lock (Thanks bosnian bill and lockpickinglawyer, I knew this skill would pay off one day!) - but I can't imagine getting a new key made will be terribly difficult, especially if I remove the cylinder and bring it to a locksmith - I even found NOS key blanks on packardparts.org.

I somehow feel like I broke packardinfo.com, I did a lookup on their engine # database and got a 404, and ever since I've been getting a DNS error, hopefully it's a coincidence :ohdear:

I also found a few ethanol free stations nearby, so should be no biggie to grab a few cans for the first start up.

Where it lives, makes my Miata look even smaller:

Carpets cleaned up nice, I can probably just keep these but replace the insulation underneath:

I can't imagine how old these butts are...

Underside - definitely some rust, but it's cleaner than the "ran hard and put away wet" '07 ridgeline I just got,
I'll have to post some pics of that soon - I'm overhauling the suspension, brakes and more on that this summer.

Radiator looks pretty good, most likely a newer one

Rocker Rust:

The worst of it from what I found so far:

Frame looks solid:

Before I got it I was pricing out the exact Coker tires the PO already put on it, they look downright new, big score!

Found some old grody blankets in the trunk, but also a full set of wheel covers, which aren't cheap from what I've found:

Definitely repainted at some point:

I guess this is supposed to be a glovebox? Not sure:

Some interior water damage I'll have to rectify:

Love these bakelite switches

But metal is even better:

Overall, not too bad! I'll probably focus on going over the wiring next, which is really rough, but luckily there's not much of it, so shouldn't be a total nightmare to just gut and replace.

I'll try and keep this thread updated regularly, since it seems like you guys (and gals) like it - any suggestions/tips/tricks are appreciated!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

That's a lot of awfully cool car to get for free and it looks incredibly solid!

Those tyres that look new should have a date code on them that will tell you how old they actually are

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

I agree with this 100%. Give it a good detail, run through the safety aspects like brakes, steering, lights, and keep it as clean and protected as you can. Patching up the rust from those last two pics would be about as far as I would go for as long as you can.

Original and well cared for is more interesting to me. Might even earn a few plaques at car shows if that's what you're into. Oh and you get to enjoy driving it rather than having it in pieces in your garage for years. (oh dang I just hurt myself a little on that one)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, that’s the glovebox. The actual box on those and a lot of cars into even the “80s was just glorified cardboard. They just… melt if they get wet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Tomarse posted:

That's a lot of awfully cool car to get for free and it looks incredibly solid!

Those tyres that look new should have a date code on them that will tell you how old they actually are

"Look new" and "garage kept for 10+ years" means the tires are probably ancient. Replacing them should be your first order of business once you get the engine fired up and verify the brakes/transmission work.

God drat, that interior is so nice.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I am so god drat jealous. This is amazing.

Would it be possible for there to be eventual video (well audio really) of it running (and revving) with an open header?

How comfy are the benches? Because apart from looking fantastic, I hope they're also super comfy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, that’s the glovebox. The actual box on those and a lot of cars into even the “80s was just glorified cardboard. They just… melt if they get wet.

Yup. On the plus side they're usually quite inexpensive if someone makes them still, because they'll still just be thick black cardboard stapled together.

sharkytm posted:

"Look new" and "garage kept for 10+ years" means the tires are probably ancient. Replacing them should be your first order of business once you get the engine fired up and verify the brakes/transmission work.

God drat, that interior is so nice.

Also this. Check date codes.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'd say for the wiring the best idea get a whole Painless kit and rewire it all. There's so many issues with cars and AGC glass fuses (or whatever this uses) and positive ground 6 volt systems (this may be some/all) that just don't make sense in any sort of electrical fire prevention. 6V regulators shouldn't be an issue, and even a car that age has had the conversion performed enough that you should be able to figure out any special parts. Hell, with 3D printing what it is, you could even retrofit modern bulb housings. I really don't recommend running 12V and 1157 type bulbs in the old 6V housings, the generated heat will make short lives of any surviving lens.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Looks like painless does not make a kit for this - it's currently 6 volt and a ton of the wiring is frayed and looks just looks bad, but the battery was replaced in 2018 but it tipped over and leaked al l over the place, so that's getting replaced as well.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Painless has a universal kit where you can cut the wires to length. https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/10308

I've used it on the Scout, it works easily enough and unless you want to add power locks/windows it's not complicated to install.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This rules

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

what kind of line is that? fuel? brake? because it looks kinked and kinda scary

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Raluek posted:

what kind of line is that? fuel? brake? because it looks kinked and kinda scary

A bad one.

I'm going to give everything a serious going-over before I consider firing it up, and that line is definitely getting ripped out, a patch welded on that spot, and a new line installed. I'm actually not sure what this is, but if I had to guess I'd say brake line, since bad brakes were the main reason the PO got rid of it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Haaaaayyyyy - howcome no one put up the lobster signal?

Anyway - for what its worth that is an incredibly amazing gift, and that car looks like its in absolutely remarkable shape. Also, IMHO, this car can be running and driving reliably and safely with a few weekends worth of work, without crazy restoration work

As far as Packards go, this is the 2nd to the last generation of cars, by the mid 50s packard was gone, but the devotion to the brand has stuck... big time.

Kanter auto parts has grown in to a supplier for all makes, but they got their start being a Packard parts house, thusly, they will have almost everything you need to get your brakes going again:

https://www.kanter.com/index.aspx

you will also find pretty much every tune up part you need to get that car running again - stay tuned...

The underside of that car looks (to me) mostly untouched and in fantastic original shape. era correct nuts and bolts, finishes and the wear on it looks to be of a well taken care of mostly unused car. This is amazing.

The sad fact is that this era of packard is largely ignored because they have polarizing looks, mostly the 4 doors.

personally I think the 2d fastback coupes are probably one of the best visually balanced cars ever.

and... the convertibles were the choice of that wild eyed' scientist

I've actually had a shot to buy a convertible like doc browns, in blue... the offer is still kind of on the table for me, but time will tell.

Consider yourself lucky that this isn't a more deluxe model that features the strangely complicated vacuum operated clutch mechanism which is kinda a hold over from the Cord pre-selection transmissions of the 30s.

I've had some rather fun experiences with these big str8 packards, please keep your fingers crossed that you wont ever have to attempt a head gasket on this motor, and if you do, it will honestly be easier if you pulled the front of the car off to do the work, or even removed the motor from the car - its a heavy, awkward job that is so easy to gently caress up.

Re: wiring - Please, please please do not use a "universal" style kit on this car. Spend the extra money and go with a y'n'z harness: https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/ - also don't be afraid to call them and talk with them, the main guy that picks up the phone is a wealth of knowledge and they are a very service oriented company.

Re: 12 volt swap - The big old "long" group size of batteries are still available as they are still used in industrial applications in both 6 and 12 volt. I typically get them from Interstate, but they are available at Napa as well - they are the same battery, just branded differently, they are all made by Johnson Controls, you will find out quickly that they simply don't give a gently caress about these batteries, hence the warranty on them are poo poo. If your charging system is up to snuff, they will be fine and give you at least a few years of service. There will be people who say converting the car to 12v is pointless and you can get away with running 6v - they've obviously never taken their family out to dinner only to be stranded until you finally give in to jumping your car with 12v and burning out everything only to drive home with no headlights and fear of your car burning to the ground... just sayinsall... also, just do an alternator... I've been stubborn for so long about it and its so goddamn pointless to not do it... if you want one that looks like the original generator get one of these: ( https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/alternators-and-generators/product-line/powermaster-powergen-alternators )if not, theres the ugly GM 1-wire kits that fit anything

Re: Tires. I wouldn't trust those tires as tire swings. Coker is a monopoly of a company that is pretty much the only way to get tires on vintage cars - they make a crappy product. period. A lot of people use them, but there are alternatives. What you have there are their radials that they've been selling for years and years, which is a bargain basement, cheap rear end tire that has a big whitewall on it. I've seen those tires throw the tread, Ive seen the sidewalls blow out, I've seen the insides rot to failure, and I've seen the whitewalls de-laminate from the side of the tire. they are trash.

There's plenty of debate about bias-ply vs radial tires, and this is my opinion only - the stigmas surrounding the bias ply tire are very much unfounded, they are stories passed from older generations to us that thinly disguise the fact that the problems that face old style tires are inherent to old cars that are not used on a daily basis. Personally, I feel that bias plys look correct on vintage cars, and radials dont. A brand new set of bias plys, properly mounted, balanced and even "shaved" - TO ME - preform as well if not better than any big white wall radial sold today. If I were to suggest a bias ply tire, it would be the General Dual 90 which are NOT made by Coker, and if I had to suggest a radial tire it would be the Diamondback, also not made by coker. Make the tires your last purchase, because as appealing as it sounds to buy them first, no tire likes sitting.

Re: Ignition - I am a STRONG believer in pertronix units. It takes a lot of guess work out of ignition and is a great starting point to any resurrection, they are bullet proof and dead easy to install. Along with this you have to preform a tuneup to the car, cap, rotor, plugs and wires (if you do go with the pertronix, you need suppression core wire)

Re: brakes and suspension - replace all rubber lines no matter how new they look! no exceptions! - also, for the love of god, drum brakes are fine, please stop putting GMC Safari van disc brakes on ancient spindles. Don't be scared of king pins, theyre easy.

Re: REBUILD not REPLACE - So many guys new to the hobby of vintage cars dont realize that most of the stuff that is already in your car is completely rebuildable, somewhere along the line, cars became disposable, and while these cars were somewhat disposable as well, there is plenty more you can do to these than you can to new cars. Any larger city should have a radiator shop, obviosouly, you get your radiator re-done at this shop, but a lot of them also will take your gas tank and clean it out really good for you. There are places that specialize in friction materials, and brakes! don't buy the reproduction chinese brake shoes for your car, take yours and have them re-lined, a great shop will turn your drums as well and radius the shoes to the radius of your newly turned drums! what service! have your starter rebuilt rather than struggling with finding a high-torque one that is adapted to fit your car, but not your car exactly - the list goes on - brakes same thing - if a master or wheel cylinder isnt available, there is a rebuild kit that is, it helps you know how your car works and if theres and issue, it may be easier to diagnose "oh that one wheel cylinder was a bit chewed up, no wonder its leaking"

Anyway - in short, you got a great gift and I'm super jelly! if you need help with any aspect of this, please lmk!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Hi Lobster! Was wondering if you were still around, used to love your old car/movie car threads back in the day.

All of this helps a ton!
Had no idea coker tires were so bad, ill replace them once I have everything up and running. I'll definitely try and rebuild what I can, already found a rebuilt kit for the master cylinder and drum brakes, and ill go for the better wiring harness.

I think step one will be the wiring and tune up, and then the brake/fuel lines/tank. I want to do this right and use quality parts, and I'm in no rush to get it running, but hopefully I'll get it started before it snows.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Cruises with eight, but this one goes to eleven.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Finally ordered a bunch of parts for this, going to try and get it fired up in the next few weeks - will post some updates when I do!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
nice! what'dja get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Nice car!

I'd get it driving and just drive the poo poo out of it. Looks great as it is and that interior is sweet. Amazingly clean condition for its age, definitely a survivor.